Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,877 members, 7,922,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 06:26 PM

In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? (15049 Views)

What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch / Jonathan - I Can't Solve Nigeria's Problem Alone / Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2012
ALOYIKCCC: Nigerian problem is dat Nigeria as a Country is founded on deceit. Our colonial masters forced us 2geda inorder 2 actualize their aims 4 coming 2 our land. Hw can u merge or join tins wich re nt meant 2 be 2geda nd xpect peace ?

The colonial masters forced you together in 1914... However, you had a chance to undo that in 1959 but the greed of certain people didn't allow you to... Blame your founding fathers for that, not the colonialists... Personally, I think Nnamdi Azikwe laid the foundation for what Nigeria is today - he was the Judas Iscariot who sold everyone out... The rest were open with their tribalism and principled, however, Zik was treacherous...

Realist and most objective post I ever made!1
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by segunstpl: 7:33pm On Dec 16, 2012
There are too many words here but i will add a few more. We DONT UNDERSTAND THE TRUE MEANING OF GOD/SPIRIT the spirit is within us all but we have neglected it and even attempted to destroy it. Anyway the spirit is not a factor whereas it should be the major factor. Although we are probably the most RELIGIOUS nation on earth all our practice of religion is devoid of the TRUE SPIRIT therefore everything gets destroyed the way it has in this Country. All the specifics like justice system, leaders, Nepa, roads, corruption etc will be fixed IF and ONLY IF we ALL find the TRUE SPIRIT. Our societal dreams of having large amounts of money, plenty healthy children and lots of oily and salty food should come AFTER the search for the SPIRIT NOT before. That is the actual problem. Actually this is a common problem in the world but Nigerians/Africans have found away to do it worse than developed countries have. So improving to their standard is NOT a GOAL we should strive for. LET US go and find out what GOD truly means. HINT: GOD is not at the Church/Mosque/Juju place, woman's vagina, man's penis, mall, school, etc. It is somewhere and your NUMBER ONE GOAL should be finding it NOT in a place but in ALL aspects of things!

3 Likes

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2012
omenka: Our greatest problem is us!

yes.
black people are
our own biggest problem.

hate to say it. we are the most out of touch with reality
people on the planet and don't get me started on our worshipping
of vanity. undecided It doesn't matter where you go, where there
are black people, it's the same situation. Why is that? undecided
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by anulaxad(m): 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2012
why is everyone blaming tribalism and ethnicity that's not the problem look at untied kingdom for example there's the English there's the welsh there's the Scottish and there's Irish its not like there fighting or something they all share the same country listen tribalism my ass that's not the problem it's simple lack of good leadership.this the country that colonized us so think what's is your proper excuse.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by makonko(m): 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2012
Leadership
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 16, 2012
anulaxad: why is everyone blaming tribalism and ethnicity that's not the problem look at untied kingdom for example there's the English there's the welsh there's the Scottish and there's Irish its not like there fighting or something they all share the same country listen tribalism my ass that's not the problem it's simple lack of good leadership.

lol! that is because the germanic tribes whooped those others into submission! grin grin
they have no choice but to abide by the same rules/laws.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Noswaa: 7:44pm On Dec 16, 2012
anulaxad: why is everyone blaming tribalism and ethnicity that's not the problem look at untied kingdom for example there's the English there's the welsh there's the Scottish and there's Irish its not like there fighting or something they all share the same country listen tribalism my ass that's not the problem it's simple lack of good leadership.this the country that colonized us so think what's is your proper excuse.

what is their Language
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 16, 2012
segunstpl: There are too many words here but i will add a few more. [size=18pt]We DONT UNDERSTAND THE TRUE MEANING OF GOD/SPIRIT[/size] the spirit is within us all but we have neglected it and even attempted to destroy it.

Anyway the spirit is not a factor whereas it should be the major factor. Although we are probably the most RELIGIOUS nation on earth all our practice of religion is devoid of the TRUE SPIRIT therefore everything gets destroyed the way it has in this Country. All the specifics like justice system, leaders, Nepa, roads, corruption etc will be fixed IF and ONLY IF we ALL find the TRUE SPIRIT.

Our societal dreams of having large amounts of money, plenty healthy children and lots of oily and salty food should come AFTER the search for the SPIRIT NOT before. That is the actual problem. Actually this is a common problem in the world but Nigerians/Africans have found away to do it worse than developed countries have. So improving to their standard is NOT a GOAL we should strive for.

LET US go and find out what GOD truly means. HINT: GOD is not at the Church/Mosque/Juju place, woman's vagina, man's penis, mall, school, etc. It is somewhere and your NUMBER ONE GOAL should be finding it NOT in a place but in ALL aspects of things!

and there you have it folks!! well said!! cool
i think my question has just been answered!
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 16, 2012
I still don't know why we Nigerians continue to blame 1914 and the Brits for our woes... Yeah, they exploited us for many years and didn't build any structure in the country before they left... However, we should be grateful that we didn't have to fight a bloody war for our independence, like most of the other countries in Africa... Go ask the Algerians, Kenyans, Congolese, Angolans, Namibians etc. how they got theirs... They gave us a chance to negotiate our independence - and we blew it, period!!!

We're messed up today because those who represented us at the Independence conference in London couldn't see into the future - greed and the lust for power destroyed our foundation...

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by onagoodday1: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
the cause of our problems today are religion and tribalism enshrined into our subconscious mind by the british and our so called nationalist respectively...we have never a leader in nigeria never

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by ITbomb(m): 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
makonko: Leadership
If people keep saying that Leadership is the problem Nigeria then GEJ should be the best president cos good leadership comes from credible elections and so far , I give it to Goodluck
However like I said earlier our problem is the structure. What we need is a Federation of Nigeria
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by FXKing2012(m): 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2012
The problem wt Nigeria is in the name "Nigeria". The name must be changed.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Zico0(m): 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2012
Brand_new: I believe Nigeria's problems will be half solved if the literacy rate can be increased to a formidable 99% just as we have in China and other western countries.
yes, our major problem is illiteracy ,ignorance. The ordinary man on the road has no clue of statehood, democracy,rights and the constitution,the agreements upon which this federation was formed. No idea of politics and the system of government we operate,the activities involved; how people get to political positions like legislative or judicial positions, even the closest of them all,being a local govt chairman. Thank God getting in the executive position is done in the open,the poor man can see that they vote in the presidents atleast,until the votes are taken backstage. The fact that all decisions subject to their interests as a people. They dont know that the government is just an employee of the state oblige to administer the country in the interest of the people. So they dust their shoulders and take everything as it is. They dont know how to seek redress. Basically, they dont know how things work in education;national income, the central bank and its huge responsibilities on their money, budgets,public finance, economics and so on. Few eggheaded men they call themselves nationalist went and fought and brought us independence. Thats like given a teenage boy billions without adult supervision, besides are'nt they gone now. I dont like to say getting independence the time we did is part of our problem. The nationalists passed and left us in the hands of abacha, ibb and the likes who didnt slack to expliot us. No wonder they say ignorance is expensive, abi what does obj know.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Sweetlemon(f): 7:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
TRIBALISM AND RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS!!!

That's the summary of everything. Every other thing falls under these, even corruption
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by tawa89(f): 7:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
shymexx:

The colonial masters forced you together in 1914... However, you had a chance to undo that in 1959 but the greed of certain people didn't allow you to... Blame your founding fathers for that, not the colonialists... Personally, I think Nnamdi Azikwe laid the foundation for what Nigeria is today - he was the Judas Iscariot who sold everyone out... The rest were open with their tribalism and principled, however, Zik was treacherous...

Realist and most objective post I ever made!1
I'm not a fan of Zik buh I think u are bin unfair to him.Zik was the only one that wanted Nigertia to succeed he was a true nationalist he believed in Nigeria and African continent Awolowo and others were mere local champions/tribalists

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
on a good day:
the cause of our problems today are religion and tribalism enshrined into our subconscious mind by the british and our so called nationalist respectively...we have never a leader in nigeria never

that's deep.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by omolajawole: 7:58pm On Dec 16, 2012
obj, ibb, sultan of sokoto, all first class oba's buhari and co, gowon.they have nigeriia secret with them
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by topmostg: 7:58pm On Dec 16, 2012
rafhell: islam + illiteracy + intolerance + corruption
what has islam got to do with this? Explain for me pls.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by madamebebe(f): 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
onila: yoruba girls

Imagine!! Isi adiro gi mma

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by topmostg: 8:00pm On Dec 16, 2012
rafhell: islam + illiteracy + intolerance + corruption
what has islam got to do with this? Explain for me pls.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by orgasticdance: 8:03pm On Dec 16, 2012
any country in the world would struggle under nigeria's peculiar situation.
So unfortunate.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 16, 2012
tawa89: I'm not a fan of Zik buh I think u are bin unfair to him.Zik was the only one that wanted Nigertia to succeed he was a true nationalist he believed in Nigeria and African continent Awolowo and others were mere local champions/tribalists

Zik being a true nationalist is the biggest lie ever told... I used to be a big fan of the man when I was into Pan-Africanism, being that he was the only famous "Pan-Africanist" from Nigeria... However, after reading more about the guy - personally, I think he single-handedly destroyed the little hope Nigeria had at independence...

He was more of an opportunist and a snake, trust me... I can post some of the things he did on this thread if you want... This man even betrayed his own people during the war just to save himself and his investments in Lagos... Zik was a fraud!

I don't rate snakes, I'm sorry..
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by alakid: 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
1966 COUP
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Danfaga(m): 8:06pm On Dec 16, 2012
In my own thinking, the problem goes as follows:
#1-poor leadership. This is d worst part of the problem. No one can do wrong at will if the head says he wants things to be right.
#2-Religious misunderstanding. This is due to devlish preaching by religious leaders. Its is the root of all crisis in the country along with ethnicity.
#3-Ethnicity,sectionalism and favorism.
#4- Immunity for political offices.
#5- The mentality that the rich deserves to live and the poor deserves to die.In my own thinking, the problem goes as follows:
#1-poor leadership. This is d worst part of the problem. No one can do wrong at will if the head says he wants things to be right.
#2-Religious misunderstanding. This is due to devlish preaching by religious leaders. Its is the root of all crisis in the country along with ethnicity.
#5- The mentality that the rich deserves to live and the poor deserves to die.
In my own thinking, the problem goes as follows:
#5- The mentality that the rich deserves to live and the poor deserves to die.. This is a very serious problem too
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by eunisam: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2012
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!
Curruption!

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by 401kk: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2012
J12:

Nigeria's problem is complicated, very very complicated.
The genesis of the problem can be traced back to 1966 (Year of the first coup and first holistic change of governmental system).
The cancer/problem escalated tremendously over the next five/six years and here we are. It has eaten deep into our political, cultural, economic and religious systems.
The damage is irreparable and we are past redemption. We just have keep living like this till God knows when.

Of all the posts in this thread, yours struck me as the most truthful. Those years 1966- 1973 were the defining moments in our post independent life, events that occured during those years are the reason why we're here. Had it been the status quo was maintained i.e no coup, no Ironsi's unitary government, no kano massacre, no civil war, no state creation by Gowon . . . We would have been the light of Africa by now given that system and structure of government then was suitable to our complexity, the leaders we had then were extremely visionary and selfless and to cap it all, we were a nubile and nascent country.
Events (and consequences) of those dark years have triggered a severe deterioration in almost facets of our national lives that there's almost no way outta the mess. Only a new identity can save us.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by 401kk: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2012
J12:

Nigeria's problem is complicated, very very complicated.
The genesis of the problem can be traced back to 1966 (Year of the first coup and first holistic change of governmental system).
The cancer/problem escalated tremendously over the next five/six years and here we are. It has eaten deep into our political, cultural, economic and religious systems.
The damage is irreparable and we are past redemption. We just have keep living like this till God knows when.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by hakeem4shi(m): 8:14pm On Dec 16, 2012
Slizbeat:

good, i love it when facts are given to back up ones view.
1000 likes

I always find it funny wen pple comment atimes,Nigeria's problem is the pple itself, wen we know the truth but choose to follow the wrong cos of sentiment. How do u explain the fact that nearly all the tribes want to rule Nigeria,yet wen others are saying it is their turn,people will castigate that we need leaders not ethnic leaders. Suddenly,Jonathan is no more the minority the south south were clamoring for during his struggle to become president,he has forgotten all that,those northern leaders demanding justice are now labeled not patriotic,because dey asked for what dey duely deserved I think the question is,are we sincere to ourselves? Wen Abiola died,OBJ was used to pacify the SW,den Yaradua came,cos OBJ struck a deal wit the north of which he fulfilled,Jonathan hijacked it from them by blackmail,using the pple against the north. Now it is clear to all of us that they only want power to themselves and not the masses. My description above evolves round all sphere of our lives as Nigeria. Until we remove sentiment and follow merit,Naija we go dey hail thee
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 16, 2012
All nations have problems - diseases, death, crime, corruption, etc.

Nigeria just have these in mega proportions. Why? Poor laws in some cases, but majorly Law Enforcement failures. Blame it on the Police and Judiciary- if these 2 ensure crime and corruption is largely punished, a lot of other things will fall into place.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Dsage1: 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2012
NaijaNile: The problem with Nigeria is you and I...the unpatriotic and uncaring nature of Nigerians for our fatherland. For me that is the real problem.

Although the masses are somehow has their shortcoming but on a more serious note,since you and I are not in the position of authority to fix the problems, therefore 85% of our problem lies with the leaders who possessed power to fix it.

For instance, who are to blame? A mother who due to her carelessness allow her little child to craw and pull down a neighbour's food or the powerless little child.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Dsage1: 8:25pm On Dec 16, 2012
NaijaNile: The problem with Nigeria is you and I...the unpatriotic and uncaring nature of Nigerians for our fatherland. For me that is the real problem.

Although the masses are somehow has their shortcoming but since you and i the ordinary citizens are not in the position of authority to fix the problems, therefore on a more logical view,our problems lies with the leaders and so many other factors.

For instance, who are to blame? A mother who due to her carelessness allow her little child to craw and pull down a neighbour's food or the powerless little child.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
.....there are two main issues causing all these problems in Nigeria-there is no God in our midst,forget the many buildings called churches and mosques or shrines;and gross indisciplines,be it federal character,bad infrastuctures,bribery etc...hopefully these problems can be solved....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Defend Yourselves Without Carrying Arms" - Ortom Tells Nigerians / Scarcity Looms As South-west Marketers ‘stop Lifting Fuel’ / Oyetola Signs N138bn Budget Into Law In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.