Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,434 members, 7,937,328 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 09:06 PM

Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 (17678 Views)

Nigerians Blame Sunday Oliseh For Nigeria's Failure To Qualify For AFCON 2017 / Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON / Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - AFCON 2013 Final (1 - 0) - On 10th February 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 1:07pm On Dec 23, 2012
Bosuntop: keshi will always be tribalistic.. why martins? shit players made the list...
When you become the coach, you can pick your own players.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by habayommy: 1:25pm On Dec 23, 2012
Osaze's reply

Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 2:00pm On Dec 23, 2012
habayommy: Osaze's reply

So wetin make we come do? when last did Osaze perform for his club self?
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by Rossikk(m): 2:13pm On Dec 23, 2012
I can't recall a single goal ever scored by Martins for Nigeria at a major tournament where it really mattered. The guy always goes missing. But he does shine in qualifiation matches, and for his clubs etc.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 2:15pm On Dec 23, 2012
Rossikk: I can't recall a single goal ever scored by Martins for Nigeria at a major tournament where it really mattered. The guy always goes missing. But he does shine in qualifiation matches, and for his clubs etc.

The away goal against Kenya that qualified us to the world cup was scored by Martins. just take note.

1 Like

Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by Joyeux: 3:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
beethoven: Abeg why is Joel Obi not in this squad? shocked shocked
He is injured.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by ortopazz(m): 5:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
hustler anthem: lol.no o bros.u b james bond na cheesy

ah 4 be, buh since u no be halle berry, ah dn resign
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by optimusprime2(m): 12:28am On Dec 24, 2012
Shola Amoebi You kiddin' me rite?
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 7:37am On Dec 24, 2012
optimus-prime1:
Shola Amoebi You kiddin' me rite?

If the coach wants him, who are you to question his working tools?
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by sirtyler: 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
Though the super is definetly not among the major title contenders in South Africa, a country as big nigeria should not parade less than average set of players who are full of themself. The would also end up not going farther the group stage. Why not give other good players the chance to fail too
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by dohiswill: 8:51am On Dec 26, 2012
Dropping those guys is a welcome development if you are not committed to the country that made u what u ar then you are not worth carrying it glory
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 3:31pm On Dec 26, 2012
Contract Clause May Halt Ameobi’s Afcon Dreams

…Team Departs For Faro Through Accra

The Super Eagles will depart for Faro, Portugal tomorrow through Accra, Ghana, to begin the final phase of its camping for the Nations Cup, with Head Coach Stephen Keshi, hinting that Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi, has a contract clause that may exclude him from the Afcon Championship.

Speaking at the weekly media parley in Abuja that precedes the team’s departure, Keshi declared that he spoke to the gangling striker on Christmas day and he told him that two years ago he signed a clause in his contract that says he cannot go to the Nations Cup without the Manager’s permission. “And to make matters worse Newcastle fears that Demba Ba, will be leaving the club by the January window and they need a. strong strike force and with Ameobi being their most experienced player in that area we may lose him. But he has said he will talk to me on Boxing Day Night and after that I will let Nigerians know what the position is, because he wants to thrash out the issue with his Manager, Alan Pardew”.

The Super Eagles will have their last training session at the Abuja National Stadium training pitch on Thursday morning before departing for Portugal, same day. All players who will not be making the trip to Portugal will be decamped same day. And Keshi took time off to pay homage to the determination and commitment of the home-based professionals during training. “It’s a shame that we can’t take all of them to Faro, but what they have done here shows that they are true professionals and I know when we return they will be part of the set up for the next round of qualifiers in the national team”.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 7:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
There is like 50 strikers/forwards in the squad.
That shows a lack of football nous.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by debosky(m): 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
Keshi is quite daft - if he was aware of a possibility of Ameobi not making it due to the contractual clause, why not invite Odemwingie as a back up anyway?

He's just making a phool of himself by not inviting arguably the best Nigerian forward/striker at the moment. I know you have Ideye and others who are not doing badly, but why on earth wouldn't you invite him and invite Ameobi when Osaze is clearly performing better?
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by coogar: 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
debosky: Keshi is quite daft - if he was aware of a possibility of Ameobi not making it due to the contractual clause, why not invite Odemwingie as a back up anyway?

He's just making a phool of himself by not inviting arguably the best Nigerian forward/striker at the moment. I know you have Ideye and others who are not doing badly, but why on earth wouldn't you invite him and invite Ameobi when Osaze is clearly performing better?

everything keshi knows about football can be written on a shirt button. any manager in this day and age that takes 10 strikers in a squad of 23 to compete in a tournament football is a complete bellend. to think our football federation is paying for keshi's services is even more infuriating. how many strikers can he play at a time? 5??
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by A40(m): 9:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
chamotex: There is like 50 strikers/forwards in the squad.
That shows a lack of football nous.
He's aiming to break Senegal's record of 9 at the last AFCON grin grin
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 10:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
A-40:

He's aiming to break Senegal's record of 9 at the last AFCON grin grin

Bruv, there are more forwards than defenders.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by A40(m): 10:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
chamotex:
Bruv there are more forwards than defenders
He wants to play Total Football. We would end up a hybrid of the legendary Brazil of 1970 and the Dutch team of 74 and 78
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 6:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
A-40:

He wants to play Total Football. We would end up a hybrid of the legendary Brazil of 1970 and the Dutch team of 74 and 78

Keshi and total football don't go together bro
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
chamotex:

Bruv, there are more forwards than defenders.

many of those forwards can pass on as midfielders
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 12:38am On Dec 29, 2012
honeric01:

many of those forwards can pass on as midfielders

Many? I don't think so bro

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Emmanuel Emenike (Spartak Moscow, Russia); Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine); Victor Moses (Chelsea, England); Uche Kalu (Rizespor, Turkey); Bright Dike (Portland Timbers, USA); Shola Ameobi (Newcastle FC, England); Ikechukwu Uche (Villarreal FC, Spain); Ejike Uzoenyi (Enugu Rangers); Sunday Mba (Enugu Rangers)

I don't know about the home based players there but out of these players, only Kalu Uche have played there before and he isn't a natural midfielder.
Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa are not central midfielders although they can play as anchors in a forward 3.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
chamotex:

Many? I don't think so bro

I don't know about the home based players there but out of these players, only Kalu Uche have played there before and he isn't a natural midfielder.
Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa are not central midfielders although they can play as anchors in a forward 3.

Yes, all the names you listed can play in the midfield, the midfield is not just central alone, the wings are also included na.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 1:53am On Dec 30, 2012
honeric01:

Yes, all the names you listed can play in the midfield, the midfield is not just central alone, the wings are also included na.

My bad, I meant CM in my initial post.
But still only a few can play on the wings like I said, not many as you claimed unless the coach is looking to just play players out of their natural position.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 9:02am On Dec 30, 2012
chamotex:

My bad, I meant CM in my initial post.
But still only a few can play on the wings like I said, not many as you claimed unless the coach is looking to just play players out of their natural position.

When i said many, i meant "6 out of the 10" listed as strikers. so that qualifies my many word.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
honeric01:

When i said many, i meant "6 out of the 10" listed as strikers. so that qualifies my many word.

6? I don't think so.
Like I said, unless the coach is just looking to play players out of their 'natural' position which doesn't really make sense as it affects the composition of the squad.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 5:15pm On Dec 30, 2012
chamotex:

6? I don't think so.
Like I said, unless the coach is just looking to play players out of their 'natural' position which doesn't really make sense as it affects the composition of the squad.

Well it's all here in public view.

However i don't even think there's any cause for alarm, I think this sqaud can fit into any formation he decides to use.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2012
honeric01:

Well it's all here in public view.

However i don't even think there's any cause for alarm, I think this sqaud can fit into any formation he decides to use.

Well, let's see which players will make the final cut then we will know where we stand.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 8:17am On Dec 31, 2012
chamotex:

Well, let's see which players will make the final cut then we will know where we stand.

Yes o bro, i just pray the coach ends up picking the right 23 from the 32 man list.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by chamotex(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2012
honeric01:

Yes o bro, i just pray the coach ends up picking the right 23 from the 32 man list.

At least we already know Ameobi wont be in the party.
What are the chances of the two home based strikers making it?
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by honeric01(m): 9:49am On Dec 31, 2012
chamotex:

At least we already know Ameobi wont be in the party.
What are the chances of the two home based strikers making it?

I've the feeling he's going to replace shola/shittu with 2 new names, with home based players? maybe.

As for the 2 current home based strikers, i see just one making it.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by winnieG1(m): 12:10pm On Feb 09, 2013
winnie-G:
UP KESHI, abeg make una leave keshi alone, he made the best choice. we can not continue to rely on past glory and failed super chickens of the 20th century in this 21th century. the last time i checked, Jay-Jay Okocha was neither playing in premier league nor Spanish La Liga before he put up that fantastic display and became a favourite with the Nigerian supporters with trailing free-kick which ended 1–0 against Algeria and led us to 1994 world cup in USA

NIGERIA FOR AFCON FINALS, guess who they are going to play at the finals!
I LOVE THIS

I hope some N'Lders will understand football better. I told you all that Nigeria is going to make it to the finals, I trusted in that guy, he understands African football more than any other Nigeria coach.
Re: Odewingie, Martins & Taiwo Dropped For AFCON 2013 by A40(m): 2:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
A-40:

A lot of truth is said in jest they say

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick / Uchenna Kanu Scores The Only Goal As Tigres Beat Bayern Munich 1-0 / Mourinho On Longest Winless Run Of His Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.