Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,816 members, 7,942,063 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 07:10 PM

Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same (23362 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by COUNTERFORCE(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2012
He no dey house? He no dey house.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2012
Arsenal ti score?
Arsenal ti score
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2012
Obama ti win?
Obama ti win
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2012
Won fi Sugar si inu gari yen?
Won fi sugar si inu gari yen
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by GentleNaaz(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
linearity:

That is not true, your intonation and where stress is put can differentiate a question from a statement in all languages including the queen's English:...eg:

Q: He is coming?
A: He is coming.

Just like your pigin the above is a qualified question and an appropriate answer, despite the absence of 'Yes' in front of the answer.
Guy dia is ntn like "he is coming?"
instead" is he coming?" back 2 u, u don learn?
U don learn
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
Rice ti tan?
Rice ti tan?
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2012
Daddy wa ninu ile?

Daddy wa ninu ile
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Mavor: 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: admins dey crase for nairaland?
A: Admins dey crase for nairaland
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by jaymichael(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2012
Sambo want take N16 billion build house? ANS: Sambo want take N16 billion build house
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2012
I think those of you objecting to this post don't understand. Since_1914 and Egba girl you're yet to cite examples.
All the examples cited in English are wrong. I mean the conotations in English. You're citing those examples literally from your knowledge of pidgin English which is what the post is saying. Normally, if not for this post you can't ask ''he is coming?'' and call it a good English. Get it?.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:18pm On Dec 22, 2012
Gentle Naaz: Guy dia is ntn like "he is coming?"
instead" is he coming?" back 2 u, u don learn?
U don learn

Says who ? The Ten Commandments?

"He is coming?" is perfect!
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2012
Won fe ra pure water?
Won fe ra pure water
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2012
Ashewo ni Mary?
Ashewo ni Mary
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by greatdave(m): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2012
dz thread go reach 5 pages?
dz thread go reach 5 pages.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by aribisala0(m): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2012
Jesu so omi di oti?
Jesu so omi di oti
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by jaymichael(m): 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: Our presido dey chop N1.3 billion naira CASSAVA BREAD for Aso Rock? ANS: our presido dey chop N1.3 billion naira CASSAVA BREAD for Aso Rock.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2012
....*Copying Down Notes*....

...My Mind is always Thirsty to Absorb New Knowledge

Teachers Proceed Please
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 10:27pm On Dec 22, 2012
He is coming?. Is not a correct English.
Correct is; ''is he coming?''
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2012
petokey:

Did u know how to speak and write pigin english in your mothers womb?
Was it not learn you too learnt it. So what are u not talking?

Then i guess your mother never taught you well . . as she was busy hooking all nite long
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2012
mrrock: He is coming?. Is not a good English.
Mind you we are discussing pigin english(naija language) here. So all you professor of linguistic as claimed please leave us with our naija slangs.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by GentleNaaz(m): 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2012
aribisala0:

guy its nt askd as question. Dia is diffrnc btw
"he is coming"(correct) n "he is coming?"(wrong)
u must learn ds. A wise man is a man hu is earger 2 learn.
U don learn?
U don learn

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by GentleNaaz(m): 10:32pm On Dec 22, 2012
aribisala0:

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2012
Pls wat is d meaning of this! In as much I aint an active nairalander threads like dis futher discourages me frm being active on nairaland! Mr seun sir whoever is d moderator dat brought dis thread to front page should b queried.However I will like to appreciate some moderators who are painstakingly doing dat job without any iota of unprofessionalism! Dis sir is my humble submission
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

Then i guess your mother never taught you well . . as she was busy hooking all nite long
Na u get ur mouth?
Na u get ur mouth.
Ur mouth go kill u?
Ur mouth go kill u?
U b mumu?
U b mumu.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 10:35pm On Dec 22, 2012
@petokey
No, I was addressing someone else, please check page 1 and 2 you will understand.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by plendil: 10:35pm On Dec 22, 2012
mrrock: He is coming?. Is not a good English.
Good is; ''is he coming?''

It sounds a tad informal, but its very correct.

Consider:

'They will be here soon.'

'So he is coming?'

'Yes he's coming.'

jaymichael: Q: Our presido dey chop N1.3 billion naira CASSAVA BREAD for Aso Rock? ANS: our presido dey chop N1.3 billion naira CASSAVA BREAD for Aso Rock.

Him go fit finish am? shocked shocked shocked

Him go fit finish am.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 10:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
masperano: Pls wat is d meaning of this! In as much I aint an active nairalander threads like dis futher discourages me frm being active on nairaland! Mr seun sir whoever is d moderator dat brought dis thread to front page should b queried.However I will like to appreciate some moderators who are painstakingly doing dat job without any iota of unprofessionalism! Dis sir is my humble submission
thank u sir mr lawyer, we don hear.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by PosCaricature: 10:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: E dey talk?
A: E dey talk.
Q: Dem dey come?
A: Dem dey come.
Q: We go go?
A: We go go.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 22, 2012
She get cough?she get cough,she don baff?she don baff?she dey mental?she dey mental o
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2012
mrrock: @petokey
No, I was addressing someone else, please check page 1 and 2 you will understand.
k
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:41pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: Crazy mods dey Nairaland?
Ans: Crazy mods dey Nairaland o!
Q: Tribalist dey Nairaland?
Ans: Tribalist dey Nairaland o!
Q: Religious bigots dey here?
Ans: Religious bigots dey here o!
PROMO QUESTION!!!
Q: You get account for Koboland?
Answer & win a Father Xmas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Are The Fulani People And Their Origins? / Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.