Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,877 members, 7,909,296 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 10:00 PM

Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? (1129 Views)

What Can Make You Forgive Your Wife If She Cheats? / How Do You Forgive And 'forget'? **A True Life Story** / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Otseh: 8:38pm On Dec 25, 2012
Sometimes we hear this phrase, 'forgive and forget' uttered by someone who has wronged you. Is it actually possible for these two words to go together? Is it possible for one to forgive and forget the offence that was committed against them?
As for me, I think you can forgive but not forget.
If you think it is possible to both forgive and forget, kindly share your opinions on how one should go about doing so.

Thanks
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by greatgod2012(f): 9:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
You can only forgive, but you may not forget, except you suffer from memory loss.
The only solution is to forgive but do not react with d offender or anybody else, based on d experience you got from d offender, you may try to be careful, but d experience mustnt be d driving cause for your actions. With that, you can say u have have forgiven completely. It may not be easy o, but it is possible if we decide to.
May God help us all.
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 26, 2012
Forgetting should mean we don't use their action against them.
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Chaclaitmilk(m): 8:05am On Dec 26, 2012
If you try hard u can do it. But with time.
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:27am On Dec 26, 2012
SniperInADiaper: Forgetting should mean we don't use their action against them.

I support this.

It's easier to forgive than to forget. Forgetting could also mean u are positioning urself to be hurt by them again. So, there is nothing wrong in guarding ur heart against such.

Also, I think it depends on the degree of the hurt. Some people have hurt us in d past and we can't remember the deed again, not cos we don't want to but time had taken it's toll. That's why some say time heals. Yea, it does, but it depends on the wound and how it's been treated.

We have some hurt that are still fresh like it happened yesterday, though it's been over 10 years ago.
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:30am On Dec 26, 2012
Chaclaitmilk: Technically, forgetting is not an action you consciously carry out, you can not really decide whether or not you want to forget something. But you can decide to forgive intentionally.
When you are told to forgive and forget, what you do is to forgive and since you cannot forget at once, just try not to dwell on the things the person who offended you did to you or do not constantly think about those things.
As time goes on, the memories of these things fade away.

Hmmm... I agree.
Re: Is It Possible To Forgive And Forget? by Callotti: 11:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
You can only afford to forgive and forget when you feel like it.
Depending on your memory! kiss

(1) (Reply)

A Conversation Between 2012 And 2013 / Nairalander Chlidren Thread / Stop Looking For Ivf Centers In Nigeria, Share Your Tetimonies Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.