Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,870 members, 7,889,912 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:06 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (488670 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 21, 2013
Ortarico:

Hmmm, the answer will be an infinite number. You can put 1 million of the 4's in line, eg, 444444444444.... 44444 and it would be even. Or a billion. there is no limit.

You can only use a digit once. Okay, let me re-phrase the question.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 21, 2013
How many even numbers greater than 4000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? [Note: A digit can be used only once.]
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 9:49am On Nov 21, 2013
Laplacian: ...d sum of two non-zero integers is equal to their product...find d numbers....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 9:53am On Nov 21, 2013
The numbers are 2 and 2. [quote author=Laplacian][/quote]
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 21, 2013
@factorial1

We not only ask questions on this thread. We ATTEMPT to answer posted questions, too.

I'm yet to see you attempt any.

Sometimes, my solution can be completely wrong, but I trust Masters Laplacian, Maximus, Richiez, Jackpot, Ortarico, DoubleDx, Benbuks, Echibuzor, etc. to put me through.

I must confess that I've learnt a lot on this thread. I now visit this thread more than I do Yahoo News, Punchng.com, BBC, CNN, etc.

I'd like to see you attempt a question or two soonest.

Lest I forget, thanks for your last set of questions. I'm eagerly following the solution provided by the masters.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
Oh! Sorry 4 dat, that's wat I actually wanted to du now(to ans. ur qt)
Note: I'm nt dah less busy, I'll try to be contributing too...
smurfy: @factorial1

We not only ask questions on this thread. We ATTEMPT to answer posted questions, too.
I'm yet to see you attempt any.

Sometimes, my solution can be completely wrong, but I trust Masters Laplacian, Maximus, Richiez, Jackpot, Ortarico, DoubleDx, Benbuks, etc. to put me through.

I must confess that I've learnt a lot on this thread. I now visit this thread more than I do Yahoo News, Punchng.com, BBC, CNN, etc.

I'd like to see you attempt a question or two soonest.

Lest I forget, thanks for your last set of questions. I'm eagerly following the solution provided by the masters.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: Oh! Sorry 4 dat, that's wat I actually wanted to du now(to ans. ur qt)
Note: I'm nt dah less busy, I'll try to be contributing too...

Great! Let's see if you can destroy my question. smiley
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 10:20am On Nov 21, 2013
Laplacian: ...d sum of two non-zero integers is equal to their product...find d numbers....
The only way that is hypothetically possible is if the numbers are 2 and 2. Shikena grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:21am On Nov 21, 2013
Ok, here is the solution

If all six digits are used and the number is to be even, the last(right hand) digits must be either 0, 2 or 4 which gives 3 choices. When this's is done, there are 4 choices for the first digit, 3 for the 2nd, 2 for the third and 1 for the forth digit. So, we av 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 x3 = 62 even numbers using all five digits. Now, if all five digits are used and the number is to be even, the last digit cannot be 1, and either 0, 2 or 4 has already been used: therefore, der are 2 choices for the first, for the 2nd digits der are now 2 choices, 1 for d third n' 1 4 the forth= 2 x 2 x 1 x 1=4. Therefore the total num. of even numbers is 4+ 62= 66. Hope I'm correct sha...? coz the qt is somhw confusing to me seeing 0(zero) der
smurfy: How many even numbers greater than 4000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? [Note: A digit can be used only once.]
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: The numbers are 2 and 2.
dats d correct answer but i want 2 c ur proof...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: Ok, here is the solution

If all six digits are used and the number is to be even, the last(right hand) digits must be either 0, 2 or 4 which gives 3 choices. When this's is done, there are 4 choices for the first digit, 3 for the 2nd, 2 for the third and 1 for the forth digit. So, we av 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 x3 = 62 even numbers using all five digits. Now, if all five digits are used and the number is to be even, the last digit cannot be 1, and either 0, 2 or 4 has already been used: therefore, der are 2 choices for the first, for the 2nd digits der are now 2 choices, 1 for d third n' 1 4 the forth= 2 x 2 x 1 x 1=4. Therefore the total num. of even numbers is 4+ 62= 66. Hope I'm correct sha...? coz the qt is somhw confusing to me seeing 0(zero) der

Your first line of argument makes sense, but even your answer for that, the 6-digit answer, is wrong.

The only hint I'll give for this question is that it's an OR question.

...still waiting for a correct answer. smiley
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Calculusfx: 11:25am On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: Ok, here is the solution

hmmm ,for numbers greater than 4000(it can be 4,5 or 6 digits)if 4digits,we can see 4 and 5,and for the number to end with even,any of 0,2 or 4 must end the number,also note that the number must not be repeated,then we do it like this,make hole,4 for four digits,5 for five digits etc
4 DIGITS STARTING WITH 5
it can end with 0,2 or 4,then the fourth hole will have 3,it starts with 5,the first hole with have 1,don't forget there are six numbers in all,the last and the first are known therefore it gives 1*4*3*3=36
4 DIGITS STARTING WITH 4
since repeatition is not allowed,then it can end with 0 or 2,then the holes will have 1*4*3*2=24
total=36+24=60
5 DIGITS
it can end with 0,2 or 4.but note that 0 cannot be in the first hole so as not to make the number 4digits again(then only 4 digits can occupy the first hole)...then the holes are 4*4*3*2*3=288...
6 DIGITS
Same as 5 digits...it can end with 0,2 or 4,then 3 can occupy the last hole,and can start with 4 in the first hole coz 0 cannot start the digit...then 4*4*3*2*1*3=288...
TOTAL=288+288+60=636ways
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 11:28am On Nov 21, 2013
A population of Ikamudu (yoruba : an insect that smells horribly when you step on it) exhibits logistic growth. If the carrying
capacity is 500 butterflies and r = 0.1 individuals/(individuals x month), what is the
maximum population growth rate for the population? (Hint: maximum population growth
rate occurs when N = K/2).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Calculusfx: 11:54am On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: Play with the questions below:
1. If the radius of a sphere is increased from 10cm to 10.1cm, what is the approximate increase in the surface area?

2. The height of a cylinder is 10cm and its radius is 4cm. Find the approximate increase in volume when the radius increases to 4.02cm

3. An error of 3% is made in measuring the radius of a sphere. Find the percentage error in volume?

4. The side of a square is 5cm. How much will the area of the square increase when the side expands by 0.01cm? And lastly

5. If x=tany; find dy/dx?
i will explain 1,2 and 4 with my solution in 3
1...0.2cm^2
2...0.04cm^3
4...0.02cm^2
5...x=tany.dx/dy=sec^2y.dy/dx=1/sec^2y and from trig.sec^2y=1+tan^2y.substitute that to give dy/dx=1/(1+tan^2y) and don't forget from the question that tany=x then dy/dx=1/(1+x^2)
3.volume of a sphere=4/3.pi.r^3...v=4/3.pi.r^3...dv/dr=4pi.r^2...from the formula for small change in calculus...§v=dv/dr*§r where § represents delta...then §v=4pi.r^2.§r...divide by v...§v/v=(4pi.r^2§r)/(4/3.pi.r^3)=3§r/r §v/v=change in volume §r/r=change in radius(and don't forget the radius increases by 3%.§v/v=3§r/r=3*3%=9%,then the volume increases by 0.09...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 11:57am On Nov 21, 2013
*clears throat*
let's go,
firstly, let the two numbers be 'x' and 'y'. From the qt, it can be infered dhat the sum of this non-zero integers is equal to their product: the mathematical representation is x + y = xy.....(i)
Now, from equation (i), make x the subject of the relation/formulae, the result is x = xy - y.....(ii), also, make y the subject of the relation from eqn (i), the result is y = xy - x....(iii). Therefore, add eqn (ii) and (iii)...(i.e x + y) together and equate it with their product(i.e xy), x + y = xy, xy - x + xy - x = xy, which is equal to 2xy - 2x = xy, collecting the like terms, we have 2xy - xy = 2x, xy(2 - 1) = 2x, therefore xy = 2x, divide both side by x, we have xy/x = 2x=x, from there....y = 2. So, subitutute y=2 into any of the above equation. I use eqn (i) which is x + y = xy, x + 2 = 2x, collecting the like terms x - 2x = -2, -x = -2. Note: minus cancelled out, therefor x = 2. With this...I think u are satisfied sir? The two non-zero integers in which their sum is equal to their product is/are ''2'' and ''2''. Thanks
Laplacian:
dats d correct answer but i want 2 c ur proof...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 12:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
Alright, will work on that too.... Thanks for the enlightment brov, bravo! Hope this's correct...? @smurfy.
Calculusf(x):
hmmm ,for numbers greater than 4000(it can be 4,5 or 6 digits)if 4digits,we can see 4 and 5,and for the number to end with even,any of 0,2 or 4 must end the number,also note that the number must not be repeated,then we do it like this,make hole,4 for four digits,5 for five digits etc
4 DIGITS STARTING WITH 5
it can end with 0,2 or 4,then the fourth hole will have 3,it starts with 5,the first hole with have 1,don't forget there are six numbers in all,the last and the first are known therefore it gives 1*4*3*3=36
4 DIGITS STARTING WITH 4
since repeatition is not allowed,then it can end with 0 or 2,then the holes will have 1*4*3*2=24
total=36+24=60
5 DIGITS
it can end with 0,2 or 4.but note that 0 cannot be in the first hole so as not to make the number 4digits again(then only 4 digits can occupy the first hole)...then the holes are 4*4*3*2*3=288...
6 DIGITS
Same as 5 digits...it can end with 0,2 or 4,then 3 can occupy the last hole,and can start with 4 in the first hole coz 0 cannot start the digit...then 4*4*3*2*1*3=288...
TOTAL=288+288+60=636ways
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Dane17: 12:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
. x+y=xy ; x=xy-y ; x=y(x-1) ; y=x/x-1 ; therefore if x=2 ; y= 2/1 ; if x=3 ;y=3/2 if x=4 ; y=4/3 and so on.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Dane17: 12:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
every value of x has its y value which is (x/x-1) for d equation to be true provided x =/= 1(provided x is not equal to 1)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ayomide002: 12:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
This is calculusf(x),i'm chatting with my cousin's account...to the moderator,i was just banned from posting about 3minutes ago,i just want to ask if you can unban me...if not,how many days can it take me before i can type?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 12:10pm On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: *clears throat*
let's go,
firstly, let the two numbers be 'x' and 'y'. From the qt, it can be infered dhat the sum of this non-zero integers is equal to their product: the mathematical representation is x + y = xy.....(i)
Now, from equation (i), make x the subject of the relation/formulae, the result is x = xy - y.....(ii), also, make y the subject of the relation from eqn (i), the result is y = xy - x....(iii). Therefore, add eqn (ii) and (iii)...(i.e x + y) together and equate it with their product(i.e xy), x + y = xy, xy - x + xy - xy = xy, which is equal to 2xy - 2x = xy, collecting the like terms, we have 2xy - xy = 2x, xy(2 - 1) = 2x, therefore xy = 2x, divide both side by x, we have xy/x = 2x=x, from there....y = 2. So, subitutute y=2 into any of the above equation. I use eqn (i) which is x + y = xy, x + 2 = 2x, collecting the like terms x - 2x = -2, -x = -2. Note: minus cancelled out, therefor x = 2. With this...I think u are satisfied sir? The two non-zero integers in which their sum is equal to their product is/are ''2'' and ''2''. Thanks
**Clears throat**
Your head is there, but ehm... that bolded part should be 2xy-x-y
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
Brov, u aint told to do try and error, laplacian asked for a proof, and I've done that. #Cheers
Dane17: . x+y=xy ; x=xy-y ; x=y(x-1) ; y=x/x-1 ; therefore if x=2 ; y= 2/1 ; if x=3 ;y=3/2 if x=4 ; y=4/3 and so on.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Dane17: 12:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
smurfy: How many even numbers greater than 4000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? [Note: A digit can be used only once.]
. In solving ur question do I assume that 023514 is different from 23514
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 12:34pm On Nov 21, 2013
oops, could'nt notice that though, guess I've to think of another method to use. thanks brov
echibuzor:
**Clears throat**
Your head is there, but ehm... that bolded part should be 2xy-x-y
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Dane17: 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: Brov, u aint told to do try and error, laplacian asked for a proof, and I've done that. #Cheers
. u manipulated . I don't get dis part (Therefore, add eqn (ii) and
(iii)...(i.e x + y) together and equate it
with their product(i.e xy), x + y = xy, xy - x
+ xy - x y = xy, which is equal to 2xy - 2x
= xy,). how did u arrive at 2xy-2x=xy. Finally d answer to his question is not just 2 and 2 . they are many values like 3 and 1.5 which gives 4.5 . look at my previous solving carefully and u will understand
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nice one brah CORRECT...waiting for others qts to be solved. Qt2 and 4 to be precise.
echibuzor:
All these questions are from one problem. Linear Approximation.. I ll tackle them later, I am on my way to work..
1. The Surface Area of the sphere at correct measurement is 4*^r2 = 4*3.142*100 = 8800/7 = 1257.14
Surface Area with error input 4*3.142*10.12 = 1281.90
Approximate increase = 1281.90 - 1257.14 = 24.76.
Now, if we are dealing with a complex function. You go by the linear approximation technique, the derivative of the surface area(without error) multiplied by the error in measurement. i.e d/dx (4^r2) = 8^r = 8 * 3.142 * 10 => 251.43 multiplied by (10.1 - 10);
(2, 3) Apply the second approach and you should get your answers faster...
Its pretty straight-forward though...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2013
Dane17: . In solving ur question do I assume that 023514 is different from 23514

Yes. They're the same.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 12:45pm On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: oops, could'nt notice that though, guess I've to think of another method to use. thanks brov
Dane17: . u manipulated . I don't get dis part (Therefore, add eqn (ii) and
(iii)...(i.e x + y) together and equate it
with their product(i.e xy), x + y = xy, xy - x
+ xy - x y = xy, which is equal to 2xy - 2x
= xy,). how did u arrive at 2xy-2x=xy. Finally d answer to his question is not just 2 and 2 . they are many values like 3 and 1.5 which gives 4.5 . look at my previous solving carefully and u will understand
factorial1: oops, could'nt notice that though, guess I've to think of another method to use. thanks brov
noticed!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 12:58pm On Nov 21, 2013
factorial1: *clears throat*
let's go,
Now, from equation (i), make x the subject of the relation/formulae, the result is x = xy - y.....(ii), also, make y the subject of the relation from eqn (i), the result is y = xy - x....(iii). Therefore, add eqn (ii) and (iii)...(i.e x + y) together and equate it with their product(i.e xy), x + y = xy, xy - x + xy - x = xy, which is equal to 2xy - 2x = xy, collecting the like terms, we have 2xy - xy = 2x, xy(2 - 1) = 2x, therefore xy = 2x, divide both side by x, we have xy/x = 2x=x, from there....y = 2. So, subitutute y=2 into any of the above equation. I use eqn (i) which is x + y = xy, x + 2 = 2x, collecting the like terms x - 2x = -2, -x = -2. Note: minus cancelled out, therefor x = 2. With this...I think u are satisfied sir? The two non-zero integers in which their sum is equal to their product is/are ''2'' and ''2''. Thanks
nice work but ur solution has flaw,
d point where u added (ii) and (iii)
u said, xy - x + xy - X = xy, its suppose to be
xy - x + xy - Y = xy....u replaced y by x, and affectd d rest of d wrk...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
Dane17: . x+y=xy ; x=xy-y ; x=y(x-1) ; y=x/x-1 ; therefore if x=2 ; y= 2/1 ; if x=3 ;y=3/2 if x=4 ; y=4/3 and so on.

The numbers are integers, so only 2 and 2 qualify as answers.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2013

u got the answer and d steps but
3 and 1.5 are not solutions because 1.5 is not an INTEGER..
...y=x/(x-1), notice dat x and x-1 are consecutive integers, but two consecutive intgers can only b divisibl iff d denominator is 1, or x-1=1 so x=2, and that is d ONLY INTEGER solution
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 1:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
echibuzor: A population of Ikamudu (yoruba : an insect that smells horribly when you step on it) exhibits logistic growth. If the carrying
capacity is 500 butterflies and r = 0.1 individuals/(individuals x month), what is the
maximum population growth rate for the population? (Hint: maximum population growth
rate occurs when N = K/2).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2013
0 and 0 too
smurfy:

The numbers are integers, so only 2 and 2 qualify as answers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.