Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,045 members, 7,928,126 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 09:43 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (492786 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 8:56am On Jan 18, 2013
Richiez: Excellent work! General DoubleDx

Richiez... you have the qualities of a leader.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 18, 2013
Richiez: Excellent work! General DoubleDx

Thanks General richiez cheesy Morning bro!

ositadima1:

Richiez... you have the qualities of a leader.

I agree with you on that General Osita! Greetings
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 11:44am On Jan 18, 2013
ositadima1: Richiez... you have the qualities of a leader.

General Osita i hail thee
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
wink well done guys
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2013
plz help me solve this:
Xsquare=2raise to the power of X, find the value of x?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 5:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101: plz help me solve this:

log both sides

log 2^x = log x^2
x log 2 = 2 log x
log x/x = log 2/2

Well I dont know how to continue but for me x = 2
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
biolabee:

log both sides

log 2^x = log x^2
x log 2 = 2 log x
log x/x = log 2/2

Well I dont know how to continue but for me x = 2
why 2?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 18, 2013
^I think it can only be solved graphically! But 2 is correct. If you plot a graph of x^2 and that of 2^x, they will intersect at x =2 and x = 4. So these are the values of x for which x^2 = 2^x. Though there may be other points of intersection but it depends on the range of values of x you use.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101:
why 2?

Take a range for the value of x (eg from -2 to 5) and create a table of values for x^2 and 2^x, then plot these two graphs on the same plot. And they will intersect at x = 2 and x = 4 also at x = -0.7...something. And that would be the solution to your question!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 6:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
doubleDx:

Take a range for the value of x (eg from -2 to 5) and create a table of values for x^2 and 2^x, then plot these two graphs on the same plot. And they will intersect at x = 2 and x = 4 also at x = -0.7...something. And that would be the solution to your question!
i think this your idea will lead somewhere...let me try it and see
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 6:18pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101: plz help me solve this:

the most acceptable way to solve this is by graphical method but lets try some mathematical manipulation

X^2 = 2^x ....................(1)
taking log of both sides;
logX^2 = log2^x
2logX =Xlog2 .................(2)
NOTE
in cases like eqn(2) in which the base number on one side of the eqn is similar to the coefficient on the other side
since R.H.S = L.H.S
it implies base number on R.H.S = base number on L.H.S
similarly, coeficient on R.H.S = coeficcient on L.H.S

clearly, X=2

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 2nioshine(m): 6:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
Richiez:

the most acceptable way to solve this is by graphical method but lets try some mathematical manipulation

X^2 = 2^x ....................(1)
taking log of both sides;
logX^2 = log2^x
2logX =Xlog2 .................(2)
NOTE
in cases like eqn(2) in which the base number on one side of the eqn is similar to the coefficient on the other side
since R.H.S = L.H.S
it implies base number on R.H.S = base number on L.H.S
similarly, coeficient on R.H.S = coeficcient on L.H.S

clearly, X=2
this is highly manipulative like u said....nd not mathematically acceptd..try it wt other values 2 verify...a great job anyway..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 7:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
2nioshine: this is highly manipulative like u said....nd not mathematically acceptd..try it wt other values 2 verify...a great job anyway..
thanks, graphically i got 2.4, but i guess i made a mistake somewhere, nd i'm still working on it..,.to tell you the truth, the mathematical method is quite confusing, but thanks anyway, i'll alert you if i am able to identify and rectify the mistake...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 7:11pm On Jan 18, 2013
2nioshine: this is highly manipulative like u said....nd not mathematically acceptd..try it wt other values 2 verify...a great job anyway..

that is why i said 'in cases like eqn(2) in which the base number on one side of the eqn is similar to the coefficient on the other side'
try it for any value which satisfies the statement above and you'll see i'm correct. for example try X^3 = 3^x
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
Ghettoguru: Help with these ones guys.

1. Integrate :

(a) ∫(x3 + 3x2 + 5x +1)ex dx
(b) ∫ln(x2 + 2x) dx

2. Find the antiderivatives of the following:

(a) x sec2(x2)tan2(x2)dx
(b) x4dx/(4 + x2)

Question 2b

x4dx/(4 + x2)

To find the anti-derivative of this function, we start by using polynomial division to simplify the functiom before integrating it.

Clearly x4/(4 + x2) yields (x2 - 4) with remainder 16 => (x2 - 4) + 16/(4 + x2)
Hence ∫x4dx/(4 + x2) becomes =>
= ∫(x2 - 4)dx + ∫16dx/(4 + x2)
= ∫(x2 - 4)dx + ∫16dx/4[1 + (x2/4)]
= ∫(x2 - 4)dx + ∫4dx/[1 + (x/2)2]
= x3/3 - 4x + ∫4dx/[1 + (x/2)2]

Now, from the integral formula for ∫du/[1 + (u)2] => tan(-1)u. Applying this formula to the bolded part above yields =>
x3/3 - 4x + 8tan(-1)(x/2) + C

:. ∫x4dx/(4 + x2) =>
(x3/3) - 4x + 8tan(-1)(x/2) + C

I'll be back with the solution for question 2a.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 7:31pm On Jan 18, 2013
plz dont mind my stupid question, but if i may ask....when u get to that point which states:
2logX=Xlog2
how do u determine that x=2?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 7:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101: plz dont mind my stupid question, but if i may ask....when u get to that point which states:
2logX=Xlog2

by comparing coeficients and bases
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
But like i said earlier, graphical method is the most acceptable method for cases like this

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 18, 2013
@All, as far as I can tell, the only solution to that question is graphical if we are to adhere strictly to mathematical principles.Though @richiez made a good assumption. But graphically is the best and mathematically convincing solution to the question. @John try plotting the graphs with a programmable calculator if you have one!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2013
i'll keep trying, i believe the error is from me
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by cloaked(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2013
Do you know that u can solve the multiplication of 11 by any 2-digits by adding the 2-digits and placing the answer you get in between the 2-digits?

For example;

solve 11 * 72

7 plus 2= 9

therefore;

11 * 72= 7"9"2

11 * 72= 792
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101: plz dont mind my stupid question, but if i may ask....when u get to that point which states:
2logX=Xlog2

If you really are preparing for SSCE/UTME, you shouldn't be worried about this question because no one will ask you to solve such questions without a graph. There are more important topics you should be concentrating on and not this one. Like I said before, graphical solution is the only way if you are asked to solve any question like this one. So, be focused bruv!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by cloaked(m): 7:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
Multiplication of 110 by 3-digit using the trick method:

110 * 452 =?

Solving the above multiplication' ­s not thatdifferent from that of 2-digits, the difference's just the forms of digits but both still maintain thesame rules!

Now solving;

110 * 452=

write down the first and last figures of the given 3-digits, ensure to space them,then addup the first two figures and the last two figures of the given 3-digits seperately and place the answersgotten in between the initially spaced first and last figures of the given 3-digits,then introduce zero to final answer;

4 '4 plus 5' '5 plus 2' 2 = 4972

introduce zero to the final answer:

= 4972'0'

therefore:

110 * 452 = 49720
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 7:56pm On Jan 18, 2013
[color=#006600][/color][url][/url][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] smileyyeaaaa....finally, X=2.....by graphical method...thanks to u all
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 8:00pm On Jan 18, 2013
back to simultaneous, plz help me.....i've been trying this since this evening, but i keep getting confused:
a man travels 10km in 50mins if he runs for 8km and walks for 2km. If he runs 4km and walks 6km, his time is 1hour, 15min, find his running and walking speed.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
@DoubleD thank you bro, I appreciate.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
johnpaul1101: back to simultaneous, plz help me.....i've been trying this since this evening, but i keep getting confused:
a man travels 10km in 50mins if he runs for 8km and walks for 2km. If he runs 4km and walks 6km, his time is 1hour, 15min, find his running and walking speed.

you know what guys lets slow down and teach him how to fish
johnpaul can u post what u have done so far
we tell u what uve done wrong
that way u learn the principles better

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by kasbeats(m): 12:08am On Jan 19, 2013
i really do wanna appreciate General richiez for d work he z doin on NL........u r a really good dude.....wat course are u/did u study at UNIABJ
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 5:46am On Jan 19, 2013
kasbeats: i really do wanna appreciate General richiez for d work he z doin on NL........u r a really good dude.....wat course are u/did u study at UNIABJ
thanks bro, yea i'm in uniabuja CHEMICAL ENGINEERING.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 5:51am On Jan 19, 2013
biolabee: you know what guys lets slow down and teach him how to fish johnpaul can u post what u have done so far we tell u what uve done wrong that way u learn the principles better
nice idea!
@johnpaul try attempting the questn and post d solution so that we can either applaud or correct you
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 5:55am On Jan 19, 2013
kasbeats: i really do wanna appreciate General richiez for d work he z doin on NL........u r a really good dude.....wat course are u/did u study at UNIABJ
we've got some other cool dudes here such as; Biolabee, Doubledx and so on wuz bn assisting me here
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 10:58am On Jan 19, 2013
Richiez:
nice idea!
@johnpaul try attempting the questn and post d solution so that we can either applaud or correct you

thanks for the big up richiez

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.