Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,834 members, 7,915,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:37 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (491459 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by yungryce: 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
Richiez: @everyone, sorry for my disappearing act, i was fixing my modem. i'm back so let's roll
abeg o. Help me fix my problems. E still plenty wey i need post
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 29, 2013
Richiez: @Ghetoguru, see how u destroyed that math question. i salute you sir

Just doing what I learnt from you guys cheesy I greet you!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 7:04am On Jan 30, 2013
yungryce: abeg o. Help me fix my problems. E still plenty wey i need post
okay bro, just post them neatly here in a way that i can interprete them.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 1:28pm On Jan 30, 2013
A mathematician organizes a lottery in which the prize is an infinite amount of money. When the winning ticket is drawn, and the jubilant winner comes to claim his prize, the mathematician explains the mode of payment: "1 dollar now, 1/2 dollar next week, 1/3 dollar the week after that..."
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 1:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
Mathematicians and assumption sef, chai!

A mathematician, an engineer, and a chemist were walking down the road when they saw a pile of cans of beer. Unfortunately, they were the old-fashioned cans that do not have the tab at the top. One of them proposed that they split up and find can openers. The chemist went to his lab and concocted a magical chemical that dissolves the can top in an instant and evaporates the next instant so that the beer inside is not affected. The engineer went to his workshop and created a new HyperOpener that can open 25 cans per second.
They went back to the pile with their inventions and found the mathematician finishing the last can of beer. "How did you manage that?" they asked in astonishment. The mathematician answered, "Oh, well, I assumed they were open and went from there."

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 1:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
A mathematician and a physicist agree to a psychological experiment. The (hungry) mathematician is put in a chair in a large empty room and his favorite meal, perfectly prepared, is placed at the other end of the room. The psychologist explains, "You are to remain in your chair. Every minute, I will move your chair to a position halfway between its current location and the meal." The mathematician looks at the psychologist in disgust. "What? I'm not going to go through this. You know I'll never reach the food!" And he gets up and storms out.
The psychologist ushers the physicist in. He explains the situation, and the physicist's eyes light up and he starts drooling in excitement. The psychologist is a bit confused. "Don't you realize that you'll never reach the food?" T he physicist smiles and replies: "Of course! But I'll get close enough for all practical purposes!"
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 1:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
Have fun!. all work without play makes jack a dullard
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 2:34pm On Jan 30, 2013
Richiez: A mathematician and a physicist agree to a psychological experiment. The (hungry) mathematician is put in a chair in a large empty room and his favorite meal, perfectly prepared, is placed at the other end of the room. The psychologist explains, "You are to remain in your chair. Every minute, I will move your chair to a position halfway between its current location and the meal." The mathematician looks at the psychologist in disgust. "What? I'm not going to go through this. You know I'll never reach the food!" And he gets up and storms out.
The psychologist ushers the physicist in. He explains the situation, and the physicist's eyes light up and he starts drooling in excitement. The psychologist is a bit confused. "Don't you realize that you'll never reach the food?" T he physicist smiles and replies: "Of course! But I'll get close enough for all practical purposes!"

This is funny... Made me think, there is actually an infinite array of numbers between 1 and 2. But we count 1, 2, 3, 4, .... like say he easy, lol
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by niceone3(m): 3:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
wow! i really missed out on this maths frenzy cool maths is so fun that it became a past time back then in school. right now am just wallowing in nostalgia of the abstract/complex maths i did during my MSc in control systems engineering.i would love to be part of this but right now am way 2busy. i hail all the guru that is making things happen. maybe i will be recommending you guys for the Melina maths prize wink.
just hv these few contribution to make
for;
i) X^2=2^X
apart from numerical solution (graphical, etc) it can also be solved by differentiating twice and solving for X

ii) 3^X +2^X=5^x this can also be solved by playing around diff.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
^^^

doubleDx:

I used .gif.

3^x + 2^x = 5^x

To plot these graphs, you will need a table of values for 5^x and 3^x + 2^x

To create the table, you will give x a range of values, say from -2 to 2 and calculate the corresponding values of each of the equation by substituting each value of x in the equations.

For the graph 5^x,
Lets subtitute the value of x each from -2 to 2

When x = -2
5^x = 5^(-2) = 1/5^2 = 1/25
3^x + 2^x = 3^(-2) + 2^(-2) =1/9 +1/4 = 13/36

When x = -1
5^x = 5^(-1) = 1/5^1 = 1/5
3^x + 2^x = 3^(-1) + 2^(-1) =1/3 +1/2 = 5/6

When x = 0
5^x = 5^(0) = 1
3^x + 2^x = 3^0 +2^0 = 1+ 1 = 2

When x =1
5^x = 5^(1) = 5
3^x + 2^x = 3^1 + 2^1 = 5

When x = 2
5^x = 5^2 = 25
3^x + 2^x = 3^2 + 2^2 = 13

And so on.....

x = -2 , -1, 0, 1, 2
5^x = 1/25, 1/5, 1, 5, 25
3^x + 2^x = 13/36, 5/6, 2, 5, 13

If you plot these two graphs with the above table, they will intersect at x = 1, i.e when their values at x = 1 are the same. So the value of x at their point of intersection is your answer, which is 1. If you notice at x = 1, 3^x + 2^x = 5 and 5^x = 5 meaning that the two graphs will intersect at that point.

To the best of my knowledge, that's the only way that equation can be solved!

Richiez:

the most acceptable way to solve this is by graphical method but lets try some mathematical manipulation

X^2 = 2^x ....................(1)
taking log of both sides;
logX^2 = log2^x
2logX =Xlog2 .................(2)
NOTE
in cases like eqn(2) in which the base number on one side of the eqn is similar to the coefficient on the other side
since R.H.S = L.H.S
it implies base number on R.H.S = base number on L.H.S
similarly, coeficient on R.H.S = coeficcient on L.H.S

clearly, X=2

doubleDx:

Take a range for the value of x (eg from -2 to 5) and create a table of values for x^2 and 2^x, then plot these two graphs on the same plot. And they will intersect at x = 2 and x = 4 also at x = -0.7...something. And that would be the solution to your question!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 5:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
nice.one:
wow! i really missed out on this maths frenzy cool maths is so fun that it became a past time back then in school. right now am just wallowing in nostalgia of the abstract/complex maths i did during my MSc in control systems engineering.i would love to be part of this but right now am way 2busy. i hail all the guru that is making things happen. maybe i will be recommending you guys for the Melina maths prize wink. just hv these few contribution to make for; i) X^2=2^X apart from numerical solution (graphical, etc) it can also be solved by differentiating twice and solving for X ii) 3^X +2^X=5^x this can also be solved by playing around diff.

sounds like a nice idea, but pls can u post the solution to d first question by using the method of differentiation you recommended
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Gud job people!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 9:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
doubleDx: Gud job people!

double dy/dx
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Tushkid74(m): 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
You guys should shed light on the basic techniques of Vedic Maths.Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 31, 2013
Richiez:

double dy/dx

Lol cheesy cheesy General Richiez morning bruv!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 31, 2013
Richiez:

sounds like a nice idea, but pls can u post the solution to d first question by using the method of differentiation you recommended

I'd like to see that method too. But it seem like differentiating the equation twice makes it more complex. Well, whatever works! I'm ready to learn.

@nice.one, would you mind posting the solution here so we can learn from it? Thank you!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by topmostg: 8:45am On Jan 31, 2013
Ghettoguru:

Bless you sir. Thanks a bunch!

oboy that doubledy/dx guy na wizard of first order.......in short, you don know maths pass my maths professor. pls doublex which school did you graduate from? This your calculations are superb.
I tip my hat down to you sir..........

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 8:45am On Jan 31, 2013
Tushkid74: You guys should shed light on the basic techniques of Vedic Maths.Thanks.
vedic maths!...i can remember when one of my lecturers applied one of the vedic maths trick in the class. we thought he was a wizard until he told us the trick he used.
vedic maths is just based on simple math tricks. for example; 25 * 11
first we have to separate 2 & 5 that is; 2 5
next, we add 2+5=7 and place the result between 2&5, that is; 275
hence, 25 * 11 = 275
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by TOSINACCA(m): 9:59am On Jan 31, 2013
TO ALL THE MATHS GURUS:
I doff my heart for your sagacity in dismantling mathematics problems.
MY CASE: A student(newly-admitted and yet to resume) of OAU in the department of ACCOUNTING. I want to use this opportunity to solicit your support in helping me solve any mathematical problem I encounter in the course of my academic work.
May GOD bless and support you in all your endeavours.THANKS.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 10:43am On Jan 31, 2013
TOSIN ACCA: TO ALL THE MATHS GURUS:
I doff my heart for your sagacity in dismantling mathematics problems.
MY CASE: A student(newly-admitted and yet to resume) of OAU in the department of ACCOUNTING. I want to use this opportunity to solicit your support in helping me solve any mathematical problem I encounter in the course of my academic work.
May GOD bless and support you in all your endeavours.THANKS.
you are always welcome! but bro you like awoof ooh grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by niceone3(m): 11:48am On Jan 31, 2013
Richiez:

sorry for not responding on time. As i said b/f i hv been very busy.
X^2 = 2^X
diff. twice wrx
2 = 2^X(In2)^2
dividing through by (In2)^2
2/(In2)^2 =2^X
4 =2^X
2^2=2^x
X = 2
since e is an approx. value the approximation (In2)^2 ~ 0.5 was made for easy calculation.
In fact differential/approx. methods of solution of equations forms some of the bases in numerical methods.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2013
nice.one:

X^2 = 2^X
diff. twice wrx
2 = 2^X(In2)^2
2/(In2)^2 =2^X
4 =2^X
2^2=2^x
X = 2
since e is an approx. value the approximation (In2)^2 ~ 0.5 was made for easy calculation.
In fact differential/approx. methods of solution of equations forms some of the bases in numerical methods.

Okay that's a wise approximation sha
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
nice.one:

X^2 = 2^X
diff. twice wrx
2 = 2^X(In2)^2
2/(In2)^2 =2^X
4 =2^X
2^2=2^x
X = 2

ok
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
topmostg:
oboy that doubledy/dx guy na wizard of first order.......in short, you don know maths pass my maths professor. pls doublex which school did you graduate from? This your calculations are superb.
I tip my hat down to you sir..........

Lol that sounds funny. Thanks anyway, with contributions from math Generals like richiez the op, osita, biolabee, and others, we are good to go! @Ghettoguru, good job!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Tushkid74(m): 2:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
Richiez:
vedic maths!...i can remember when one of my lecturers applied one of the vedic maths trick in the class. we thought he was a wizard until he told us the trick he used.
vedic maths is just based on simple math tricks. for example; 25 * 11
first we have to separate 2 & 5 that is; 2 5
next, we add 2+5=7 and place the result between 2&5, that is; 275
hence, 25 * 11 = 275
Thanxs man.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 3:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
Tushkid74:
Thanxs man.
You're welcome, i'll post more vedic maths tricks here as soon as i can lay my hands on them
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by yungryce: 1:03am On Feb 01, 2013
Na dem b dis
Prove by induction that for any two nos a & b, & for any nEN that
(a+b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + [n(n-1)/2!]a^(n-2)b^(2) + ...+ [n!/(n-k)!k!]a^(n-k)b^k + ... + b^(k)

2. prove d existence theorem of laplace transform
3. show L[f"(t)] = s^2F(s) - sf(0) - f'(0)
4. using the methods of contour intergration & convolution theorem, evaluate
L^-1{1/(s+1)(s^2+1)} &
L^-1{1/(s-2)(s-1)^2}
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:25am On Feb 01, 2013
yungryce: Na dem b dis
Prove by induction that for any two nos a & b, & for any nEN that
(a+b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + [n(n-1)/2!]a^(n-2)b^(2) + ...+ [n!/(n-k)!k!]a^(n-k)b^k + ... + b^(k)

2. prove d existence theorem of laplace transform
3. show L[f"(t)] = s^2F(s) - sf(0) - f'(0)
4. using the methods of contour intergration & convolution theorem, evaluate
L^-1{1/(s+1)(s^2+1)} &
L^-1{1/(s-2)(s-1)^2}

Good questions....cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 7:31am On Feb 01, 2013
@youngryce, ur questions carry weight oh, but as usual, i'l get the solutions
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by yungryce: 9:51am On Feb 02, 2013
Richiez: @youngryce, ur questions carry weight oh, but as usual, i'l get the solutions
na so we see am o. d man jst wake one morning carry 50 questns hammer us
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by estilo(f): 2:10pm On Feb 02, 2013
I wish
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by saleemema(m): 2:32pm On Feb 02, 2013
paranorman:
Verily,verily i say unto u,al that thou...
Biblical allusion...

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.