Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,865 members, 7,872,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:09 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (486695 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
Adol16: Solve
1. 1/X + 1/y + 1/z = 1 find x,y and z

2. 5Loga base 4 + 48log4 base a = a/8.

1. Z=xy/(xy-x-y) by manipulating
Therefore (xy-x-y) is not equal to 0

2. That question is unnecessarily hard and stinks of wickedness, but I am going to give u a clue though

Log(a) to base 4= Log(a) to base a/Log(4) to base a

If you do this and substitute you getting a quadratic equation, a wicked one, smh

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by yungryce: 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2013
@richiez, i still dey wait
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
ositadima1:

Mr Spoiler alert, it would enlighten us some if you gave us the correct answer.

Like I mentioned earlier,this is a nonlinear equation which can only be solved numerically or by graphical method. In other word, neither of the two variables are linearly defined.

I've solved couple of question here.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
Adol16: Solve
1. 1/X + 1/y + 1/z = 1 find x,y and z

2. 5Loga base 4 + 48log4 base a = a/8.

Question 1,

x can only be solved in terms of y and z, same way y can only be solved in terms of x and z; and z in terms of x and y.

1/x + 1/y + 1/z = 1

Let's solve for x in terms of y and z>

(yz + xz + xy)/xyz = 1
yz + xz + xy = xyz....equation (1)
xyz - xy - xz = yz
x(yz - y - z) = yz
x = yz/[yz - y - z]
x = yz/[y(z - 1) - z]

Now, we can solve for y in terms of x and z from equation (1)

yz + xz + xy = xyz
xyz - yz - xy = xz
y(yz - z - x) = xz
y = xz/(yz - x - z)
y = xz/[z(y - 1) - x]

And finally z in terms of x and y from equation (1)

yz + xz + xy = xyz
xyz - yz - xz = xy
z(xy - y - x) = xy
z = xy/[xy - x - y]
z = xy/[x(y - 1) - y]

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 6:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
donedy:

Like I mentioned earlier,this is a nonlinear equation which can only be solved numerically or by graphical method. In other word, neither of the two variables are linearly defined.

I've solved couple of question here.

I thought you said he should reach the solutiong analytically, dat was what I wanted to see.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 6:17pm On Feb 13, 2013
please help with this:
"reduce 60 by 30%"
this is my working
60*30/100
=18
but 18 is not in the options
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 6:23pm On Feb 13, 2013
johnpaul1101: please help with this: "reduce 60 by 30%" this is my working 60*30/100 =18 but 18 is not in the options
nice try but the final solution is 60-18 = 42

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 6:25pm On Feb 13, 2013
good job ghetoguru!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
^^^

Thanks sir!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 6:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
Richiez:
nice try but the final solution is 60-18 = 42
yea the final answer is 42, but why substract it again
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 6:33pm On Feb 13, 2013
ositadima1: I thought you said he should reach the solutiong analytically, dat was what I wanted to see.
yea donedy i'd also like to see the solution. i appreciate ur efforts though. once again, welcome to the maths family
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 13, 2013
johnpaul1101:
yea the final answer is 42, but why substract it again

It is because 30%(i.e. 18) is the amount you're told to reduce 60. After reducing or removing 30% (18) you have 42 left.

In order words, how much of your salary is left after spending 30% of it on Ashawo every month.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 6:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
Richiez:
yea donedy i'd also like to see the solution. i appreciate ur efforts though. once again, welcome to the maths family

thnx, you guys are cool.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
Richiez:

I've said it earlier. it cannot be solved analytically because neither of the variables are linearly defined.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 13, 2013
ositadima1:

1. Z=xy/(xy-x-y) by manipulating
Therefore (xy-x-y) is not equal to 0

2. That question is unnecessarily hard and stinks of wickedness, but I am going to give u a clue though

Log(a) to base 4= Log(a) to base a/Log(4) to base a

If you do this and substitute you getting a quadratic equation, a wicked one, smh

So true bro, it's a cruel question grincheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
Richiez: @double dy/dx, i dey see ur handwork, u'r a great man, i salute you!

Thank you bruv!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by topmostg: 10:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
I salute all maths gurus in da house,
o.p. Check dis out.

Find the equation of the tangent to the parabola y^2=6x, which is parallel to the line y+2x=0...

Now, normal equation and formula for the tangent is yy1=2a(x+x1), Which means its tangent is at the point(x1,y1).
Now, this question doesn't doesnt give me the co-ordinates, so how do i tackle it?

Shed more light pls.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:22am On Feb 14, 2013
topmostg: I salute all maths gurus in da house,
o.p. Check dis out.

Find the equation of the tangent to the parabola y^2=6x, which is parallel to the line y+2x=0...

Now, normal equation and formula for the tangent is yy1=2a(x+x1), Which means its tangent is at the point(x1,y1).
Now, this question doesn't doesnt give me the co-ordinates, so how do i tackle it?

Shed more light pls.

This is basically simple and straight forward. Since the equation of the tangent has to be parallel to the line y + 2x = 0, It means that
the equation of the tangent has to have a slope of -2 (i.e. dy/dx = -2)

So, find the derivative of the given equation, y^2 = 6x, and set it equal to -2.

dy/dy: 2y*(dy/dx) = 6 ------------- Eq.i

Eq.i ==> dy/dx = 3/y ------------- Eq.ii

Thus, dy/dx = 3/y = -2 ------------ Eq.iii

Solving Eq.iii yields y = -3/2

We find x from substituting -3/2 for y in y^2 = 6x, which (-3/2)^2 = 6x

Therefore, x = (-3/2)^2/(6) = (9/4)/6 = 3/8

Now we know that the tangent has a slope of -2 and passes through the point (3/8, -3/2)

Basic Equation of line: y = y0 + m(x-x0)
y = -3/2 - 2( x - 3/8 )

y = -3/2 -2x + 3/4

which ==> 4y = -8x - 3

or

The equation of tangent: 4y + 8x + 3 = 0

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2013
donedy: I've said it earlier. it cannot be solved analytically because neither of the variables are linearly defined.
okay now i understand you. but a logical and not an analytical approach was used. anyways, graphical method remains the most acceptable
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Adol16(m): 10:47am On Feb 14, 2013
[quote author=Ghettoguru]

Question 1,

x can only be solved in terms of y and z, same way y can only be solved in terms of x and z; and z in terms of x and y.

1/x + 1/y + 1/z = 1

Let's solve for x in terms of y and z>

(yz + xz + xy)/xyz = 1
yz + xz + xy = xyz....equation (1)
xyz - xy - xz = yz
x(yz - y - z) = yz
x = yz/[yz - y - z]
x = yz/[y(z - 1) - z]

Now, we can solve for y in terms of x and z from equation (1)

yz + xz + xy = xyz
xyz - yz - xy = xz
y(yz - z - x) = xz
y = xz/(yz - x - z)
y = xz/

thanks i solved it that way b4 but the guy that gave me the question said it has real value solutions. Just wanted to b sure.

i dnt seem to get the second question the guy said the ans is a=256 which is true when i substituted it into the question.
can it b solved?
i got something like this
5(loga base 4)square + 48=a/8 loga base 4.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 14, 2013
^ Write out the question properly, if possible write it out on a paper, then scan and attach. That way, we'll understand your question properly!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 11:34am On Feb 14, 2013
doubleDx: ^ Write out the question properly, if possible write it out on a paper, then scan and attach. That way, we'll understand your question properly!

whats up man, was looking for ur pix on the other thread.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
ositadima1:

whats up man, was looking for ur pix on the other thread.

I'm okay, thanks man. Lol, I'll post one tomorrow cheesy Have you posted yours?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 11:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
donedy: This is basically simple and straight forward. Since the equation of the tangent has to be parallel to the line y + 2x = 0, It means that the equation of the tangent has to have a slope of -2 (i.e. dy/dx = -2) So, find the derivative of the given equation, y^2 = 6x, and set it equal to -2. dy/dy: 2y*(dy/dx) = 6 ------------- Eq.i Eq.i ==> dy/dx = 3/y ------------- Eq.ii Thus, dy/dx = 3/y = -2 ------------ Eq.iii Solving Eq.iii yields y = -3/2 We find x from substituting -3/2 for y in y^2 = 6x, which (-3/2)^2 = 6x Therefore, x = (-3/2)^2/(6) = (9/4)/6 = 3/8 Now we know that the tangent has a slope of -2 and passes through the point (3/8, -3/2) Basic Equation of line: y = y0 + m(x-x0) y = -3/2 - 2( x - 3/8 ) y = -3/2 -2x + 3/4 which ==> 4y = -8x - 3 or The equation of tangent: 4y + 8x + 3 = 0
nice work, u'r on ur way to earning the title 'GENERAL'

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ositadima1(m): 9:30am On Feb 16, 2013
Richiez:
nice work, u'r on ur way to earning the title 'GENERAL'

Bros don't forget to invite me at the inaugural ceremony, long live the generals, long live all maths luvers, you all rock!

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2013
ositadima1: Bros don't forget to invite me at the inaugural ceremony, long live the generals, long live all maths luvers, you all rock!
lol...nice idea General Osita, i foresee an inaugural ceremony 4 all Generals

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 17, 2013
It seems like this thread has been dormant for a while, but let me see if I can warm it up. The first to get this questions right within three responses will have 1K credited to his/her bank account by me.

1. Define a Circle using mathematical terminology.

2. Define a Straight Line in terms of an arc.

3. Calculate the area of the biggest rectangle that be inscribed in a circle of form x2 + y2 = a2, where a is a constant.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by topmostg: 6:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
donedy:

This is basically simple and straight forward. Since the equation of the tangent has to be parallel to the line y + 2x = 0, It means that
the equation of the tangent has to have a slope of -2 (i.e. dy/dx = -2)

So, find the derivative of the given equation, y^2 = 6x, and set it equal to -2.

dy/dy: 2y*(dy/dx) = 6 ------------- Eq.i

Eq.i ==> dy/dx = 3/y ------------- Eq.ii

Thus, dy/dx = 3/y = -2 ------------ Eq.iii

Solving Eq.iii yields y = -3/2

We find x from substituting -3/2 for y in y^2 = 6x, which (-3/2)^2 = 6x

Therefore, x = (-3/2)^2/(6) = (9/4)/6 = 3/8

Now we know that the tangent has a slope of -2 and passes through the point (3/8, -3/2)

Basic Equation of line: y = y0 + m(x-x0)
y = -3/2 - 2( x - 3/8 )

y = -3/2 -2x + 3/4

which ==> 4y = -8x - 3

or

The equation of tangent: 4y + 8x + 3 = 0

nice job dude,
that was awesome......

Kudos to all

maths fieldmarshals....

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:19am On Feb 19, 2013
topmostg: nice job dude, that was awesome...... Kudos to all maths fieldmarshals....
lol welcome to the family
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:22am On Feb 19, 2013
@donedy, i was waiting to see if someone else will attempt your question but i guess it's time i attempted it
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 19, 2013
Richiez: @donedy, i was waiting to see if someone else will attempt your question but i guess it's time i attempted it

The price is still up. I want to keep the fire because the thread seems to be fading slowly.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 19, 2013
hmmmmmm......mathematics used to be my best but i'm sure i'm as rusty as rusty can be now. So, i've decided to follow this thread and c if i can still wake up d maths guru in me. I rily hope so. embarassed @poster, good thread!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.