Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,466 members, 7,891,934 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:53 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (473648 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by vivianvic(f): 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
wat if u r working wit Redhat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 5:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
Upgraded from 12.10 and I'm having some random issues. My system's has had kernel panic (ubuntu's version of BSOD) about 2 times now and some random errors pop up while using the system. The experience isnt very painful but I would be doing a fresh install soon anyway. I'm sure that would alleviate the issues.
I don't usually upgrade when a new version comes out but decided to try it out this time around. Maybe its cos I upgraded during beta 2. Whatever the reason, I would be doing a fresh install as soon as I can download the iso.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2013
hmmn.

did u read the logs?

I upgraded from 12.10 over the testing period and still don't have one issue. only crap is virtual box is misbehaving.

try the fresh install sha, but I think reading the log will give u an idea wassup.

plus a new kernel
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Toroze(m): 8:37am On May 01, 2013
Pleasd can any one help me with a good distro for a netbook, the distro version should not be older than 2012, stable and come with the full linux experience i don't want those distros that have been thoroughly skinned to make it fast eg flubox or anything lxde or xfce. I was thinking linux mint 14 MATE but some peeps saying it won't run smoothly. Any answer is well appreciated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:31pm On May 01, 2013
lol
bros those distros were not " skinned".

they run a light Desktop environment.

The difference between xubuntu, lubuntu and kubuntu and Ubuntu is the default desktop they come with.

there are heavy desktop environment that need good hardware specs and there are light ones that don't need them.

so sorry bro, I don't think there is any "unskinned" distro that will run on low spec netbook properly.

you either choose xubuntu or lubuntu for it.

perhaps u should share precisely what u have against those DE?

perchance u should prefer having some particular stuff only present on full DE, maybe u install Ubuntu, (it will run very slow) then install another DE like Xfce. then u can always just boot the lighter DE. all the Ubuntu stuff will still be there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 01, 2013
Toroze: Pleasd can any one help me with a good distro for a netbook, the distro version should not be older than 2012, stable and come with the full linux experience i don't want those distros that have been thoroughly skinned to make it fast eg flubox or anything lxde or xfce. I was thinking linux mint 14 MATE but some peeps saying it won't run smoothly. Any answer is well appreciated
Linux Mint uses Cinnamon and very slow when compare to Xubuntu that uses xfce. So, the choice would still be Ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:41pm On May 01, 2013
all4naija: Linux Mint uses Cinnamon and very slow when compare to Xubuntu that uses xfce. So, the choice would still be Ubuntu.
or you could use kubuntu and disable graphical effects
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:50pm On May 01, 2013
4llerbuntu: hmmn.

did u read the logs?

I upgraded from 12.10 over the testing period and still don't have one issue. only crap is virtual box is misbehaving.

try the fresh install sha, but I think reading the log will give u an idea wassup.

plus a new kernel

For the first time did a distro upgrade (i normally do a fresh install) and i'm surprised i don't have any issues

what's your issue with virtualbox? perhaps it's the kernel module that has issues in which case u have to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
or in the worst case may need to reinstall your vbox
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:33am On May 02, 2013
^^^^^ e remain small naw wey sango and soponna go pay u solidarity visit with this rubbish you are posting everywhere.

Does this thread look like a thread for fools like you and gullible idiots who are likely to patronise u?

Amadioha fire that your keyboard. Anuofia!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:36pm On May 02, 2013
4llerbuntu: ^^^^^ e remain small naw wey sango and soponna go pay u solidarity visit with this rubbish you are posting everywhere.

Does this thread look like a thread for fools like you and gullible idiots who are likely to patronise u?

Amadioha fire that your keyboard. Anuofia!!
calm down...the long arm of the law has nabbed him! He would be cooling off his heels till the year 2106!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:03pm On May 02, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin

it was so irritating. would see a new post and eagerly open to see if any serious gist was there, only to see crap

thanks for exterminating the pest
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:59am On May 03, 2013
Just updated to a new kernel today n things seem to have corrected themselves. So, for now, I won't be reinstalling. 12.10 was still better for me though, especially as regards graphics performance. There seems to be some form of regression with the Intel graphics driver shipping with 13.04. I sometimes see some artefacts flashing on my screen. I purposedly got a laptop with Intel graphics so I wont have to worry about display driver issues, so I'm a little irked by this. Hopefully, an update will fix that soon too.
By d way, Ubuntu should never have upgraded totem. Totem has been on version 3.4 for ages and they finally upgraded to 3.6 with this version. IMO, totem is now crap, just like Nautilus is also now mostly crap! (minus the new search feature which is kinda cool). In fact, most of the remixing the GNOME guys are doing to their core apps is just making them worse off. I don't know what is going on in their heads. Ubuntu needs to seriously consider forking off atleast some of the core apps and not being at the mercy of GNOME all the time. I just downloaded Parole Media Player today, which is the Totem alternative for the XFCE desktop. It works perfectly on Ubuntu and has replaced Totem for me. Blogged about it here http://www.muyiscoi.com/?p=510
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:14am On May 03, 2013
I thought a new kernel would help ;P

I guess my opinion about gnome is well documented. as far as I'm concerned concerned they are now a cog in the wheels of progress. they are helping canonical make the decision to dump them easier by the day.

I guess that's part of why it was agreed that unity next should go QT. by the time the apps for unity next convergence get built, gnome will be dropped officially.

I don't understand what they are thinking sef, most of their decisions are foolish, the design language is atrocious. mcheew
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mueeze(m): 2:01am On May 04, 2013
Please help.
Tried installing Ubuntu 12.10, but it always get stuck While completing installation. It gives this error message.
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

Then I tried installing the older 12.04, same error.
Please help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:48pm On May 04, 2013
Mueeze: Please help.
Tried installing Ubuntu 12.10, but it always get stuck While completing installation. It gives this error message.
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

Then I tried installing the older 12.04, same error.
Please help.

are you installing from inside windows?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mueeze(m): 7:00am On May 05, 2013
4llerbuntu:

are you installing from inside windows?

Yes. I made a live cd, and it just won't boot from cd. It skips it entirely and starts windows. Btw, the cd drive is working perfectly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:46pm On May 05, 2013
use a USB stick.

download ubuntu 13.04 iso

its larger than 700mb so u cannot use a CD. use a DVD or better a USB stick

get a USB stick and make a live USB.

set your bios to boot from USB first.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 10:41pm On May 05, 2013
Mueeze:

Yes. I made a live cd, and it just won't boot from cd. It skips it entirely and starts windows. Btw, the cd drive is working perfectly.
is it windows 8?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mueeze(m): 12:56am On May 06, 2013
4llerbuntu:
use a USB stick.

download ubuntu 13.04 iso

its larger than 700mb so u cannot use a CD. use a DVD or better a USB stick

get a USB stick and make a live USB.

set your bios to boot from USB first.

Thanks. That has been done.
The little issue here is that I installed virtual box, and windows 7 in virtual box. but am not able to access any of the external drives.
And it does not connect to the network Ubuntu is connected to. I need to be able to access external drives and connect to a network within virtual box.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:38am On May 06, 2013
that has nothing to do with Ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mueeze(m): 7:14am On May 06, 2013
4llerbuntu: that has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Ok. But how will I access external drives and connect to a network from the virtual box. Very important.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:00am On May 06, 2013
Mueeze:

Ok. But how will I access external drives and connect to a network from the virtual box. Very important.

you will have to add another virtual disk, there's a command to do it but i don't remember now. Search the virtualbox help file, it's somewhere in the advanced options, the command starts with vboxmanage. Just check the help file
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:40am On May 06, 2013
pls explain exactly what you are doin?

do u want to install Ubuntu in a VM?

or you want to install Ubuntu in a windows 7 VM ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Mueeze(m): 12:42pm On May 06, 2013
4llerbuntu: pls explain exactly what you are doin?

do u want to install Ubuntu in a VM?

or you want to install Ubuntu in a windows 7 VM ?
I installed ubuntu, then virtual box, then windows 7 in virtual box.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:09pm On May 06, 2013
i think what he's saying is that he has created a vm where he's installed ubuntu, however he's unable to access his windows files.

Come to think of it, there's an easier way to do that, though he won't have as much control.
By the way what do you mean by external drives? do you mean the drives on your local computer or on a usb device?
and way you can use the folder sharing method to share folders on your windows machine so you can access them as network folders on your guest os
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:20pm On May 06, 2013
ok. now i get

did u install Guest Additions (Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack)?

you have to install that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.