Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,427 members, 7,891,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 08:45 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (473627 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:03pm On Jun 23, 2013
ciphoenix: why use torrent? undecided it's free
torrent is for sharing files, and not necessarily illegally, sometimes even the download sites recommend that u download torrents to reduce load on their servers. That happens a lot in linux, especially when a new version comes out
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:32am On Jun 24, 2013
blackweaver:
torrent is for sharing files, and not necessarily illegally, sometimes even the download sites recommend that u download torrents to reduce load on their servers. That happens a lot in linux, especially when a new version comes out
I know. I just wonder why he was asking when there's a download button in the site
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:48am On Jun 26, 2013
Hello gentlemen.

Something just occurred to me. I have not tried to setup a dualboot of win8 and ubuntu.

Probably never will for myself. Its not so much as an issue with windows but more of a total dislike for win8.

BUt there is a good chance I may be conscripted to do it for someone else.

Is there something I need to know beforehand esp with this secureboot etc shebang?

Or other quirks? If hate to be stuck
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 7:16am On Jun 26, 2013
4llerbuntu: Hello gentlemen.

Something just occurred to me. I have not tried to setup a dualboot of win8 and ubuntu.

Probably never will for myself. Its not so much as an issue with windows but more of a total dislike for win8.

Is there something I need to know beforehand esp with this secureboot etc shebang?

if the PC has W8 preinstalled, there's a 98 grin chance it won't work

you don't need to turn off secure boot in 12.10 and latter, it's supported.

you'll need to turn off fast boot(it's like a fake shutdown closer to hibernation designed to make W8 startup faster)

the 64bit Ubuntu flavours supports UEFI from 12.10 up

one more thing, don't worry yourself with using EasyBCD unless UEFI mode is disabled
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:47pm On Jun 26, 2013
4llerbuntu: Hello gentlemen.

I got a new laptop in December of last year that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. After banging my head against a wall several times, I was able to dualboot Windows 8 and Ubuntu. I eventually messed that up though when I tried shrinking a partition and finally just removed the windows completely. I've been running Ubuntu only on this lappy ever since. I documented the ordeal on my blog here http://www.muyiscoi.com/?p=389

For computers that have been upgraded from Windows 7, there really isn't much difference in the dualbooting process. For computers with Windows 8 preinstalled though, there are a lot of issues. The biggest one is that the computers have a new BIOS called UEFI. UEFI itself is fully supported on linux but microsoft enabled a feature of UEFI called "secure boot" which ensures that no OS image not signed with Microsoft cryptographic keys would be bootable on a device with the feature enabled (Which is all devices with Windows 8 preinstalled). The first thing to do, to be on the safe side is to go into the UEFI and disable "secure boot" (Note that you cannot use the normal method of "esc" or "f2" to enter the UEFI because of "Fast-boot", another "feature" of Windows 8. Disable that too).
Your UEFI may support "BIOS emulation mode" which basically it behave like the older, pre BIOS. This is meant for installing older OSes that don't have support for UEFI. Problem is, if you use this mode, you won't see your UEFI based OSes on the boot list and have to switch modes anytime you want to boot a particular OS.
For more information on UEFI stuff, check out my post on "FosswatchNG" on the subject http://fosswatchng.com/2013/05/uefi-temporary-problem-or-threat-to-linux-desktop/

Only the latest versions of certain Distros can even be installable on Windows 8 systems. Ubuntu 12.10 x64 has some support (that's the one I installed initially), but I recommend 13.04 x64 (which I currently use) and above.
Another stumbling block you might encounter is the method of partitioning. Some Windows 8 systems are partitioned using GPT style partitions as opposed to the normal MBR style partition we are all used to. This causes lots of issues when partitioning.
I'm sure there are other things I'm not remembering right now but suffice it to say that its not as smooth as it once was. There is even a risk of bricking the laptop. There was a report of some Samsung laptops getting bricked when you try installing linux on it (you can google it).

My advise is that you do extensive googling before attempting it. Also, create recovery disks of the Windows 8 before starting.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 12:27am On Jun 27, 2013
^^^

You got it to work? shocked do you have a post on how you did it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by benalvino(m): 8:49am On Jun 27, 2013
Why not just run Ubuntu as a virtual machine?

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:54am On Jun 27, 2013
Thanks @ Muyiscoi and Ciphoenix.

Actually no worries, i knew about some of these issues before, i just thought id update myself with newer issues. grin

turns out i was right. The GPT partitioning issues IS new to me.

i'm good. i can deal with them appropriately.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 11:36am On Jun 27, 2013
Guys, as i am typing this message, i am seriously sweating. Come to my rescue before something do me o!

Wetin happen? Oya, listen:

I wanted to create an Ubuntu Startup disk on a 4GB USB flash drive. The *.iso file is contained on my USB HDD (1Tb partitioned as 3 ext4 primary partitions, 1 NTFS). I somehow accidentally selected my HDD as the "Disk to use" instead of the Flash drive. Now I have a single FAT32 partition on the HDD.

This HDD contains files (over 500Gb) and I really would like to get it back.

I have tried testdisk but no success yet...(I ran analyse on the disk all night, d thing no gree finish o cry )

Has anyone been in my position before? or what can you suggest I do?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 27, 2013
Been there

Runtimes getdataback or easeus data recover

Or any partiton recovery tools

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 11:59am On Jun 27, 2013
oyb: Been there

Runtimes getdataback or easeus data recover

Or any partiton recovery tools

These tools, do they recover data or partitions? considering that its been reformatted to another file system??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2013
I had this exact issue a few years back. Formatted my hdd. I dont have your exact issue, but the tools are supposed to cover the whole gamut - deleted format mbr . . . You're in my office today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:12pm On Jun 27, 2013
oyb: I had this exact issue a few years back. Formatted my hdd. I dont have your exact issue, but the tools are supposed to cover the whole gamut - deleted format mbr . . . You're in my office today?
yes i am. Should i bring the drive to you? Mess it up and I'd kidnap you!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 1:43pm On Jun 27, 2013
Maleeq:
yes i am. Should i bring the drive to you? Mess it up and I'd kidnap you!
i could help u but i guess ur present location is in lagos...lol... all d same did u accidentally delete d partitions or d software u are using 2 create d startup disk do dat 4 u??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:56pm On Jun 27, 2013
brightk: i could help u but i guess ur present location is in lagos...lol... all d same did u accidentally delete d partitions or d software u are using 2 create d startup disk do dat 4 u??
The startup disk creator from ubuntu did it for me.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 2:58pm On Jun 27, 2013
Maleeq:
The startup disk creator from ubuntu did it for me.
i 4 one never used dat.. instead i use a software called unetboot 2 create bootable verions of any linux os...just from d iso file.. no nid 2 format d device even if i had other tins inside..

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2013
brightk: i 4 one never used dat.. instead i use a software called unetboot 2 create bootable verions of any linux os...just from d iso file.. no nid 2 format d device even if i had other tins inside..
Alright...

I was using the wrong setting on testdisk...it has detected the partitions now....i am just waiting for it to finish doing its bizness and hopefully recover my drive back!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
ciphoenix: ^^^

You got it to work? shocked do you have a post on how you did it?

Unfortunately, I didn't document everything I did. It was a little easier for me I think because my laptop is Lenovo and they are reputed as one of the more linux compatible OEMs. Basically, what I did is to first enter UEFI from windows 8, then I disabled "secure boot". I later realised that the laptop has a physical button beside the battery jack that boots right into the UEFI, which is pretty handy. I then used the default partition manager on windows to shrink the hard disk (I could only shrink like 150gb or so out of 1TB HDD). I rebooted and used the Ubuntu 12.10 x64 DVD to boot and run the installation on the shrunk space. After installing and rebooting, The system didn't recognise the Ubuntu install. I searched online and found an Ubuntu tool called boot-repair. I then booted d dvd again, installed boot-repair on d live CD and ran it. I think that's what fixed it.
I'm properly missing out a few details 'cos I remember it being much more difficult n stressful than I just enumerated, so don't take this as an instruction.

Maleeq: Guys, as i am typing this message, i am seriously sweating. Come to my rescue before something do me o!

I wanted to create an Ubuntu Startup disk on a 4GB USB flash drive. The *.iso file is contained on my USB HDD (1Tb partitioned as 3 ext4 primary partitions, 1 NTFS). I somehow accidentally selected my HDD as the "Disk to use" instead of the Flash drive. Now I have a single FAT32 partition on the HDD.

I have tried testdisk but no success yet...(I ran analyse on the disk all night, d thing no gree finish o cry )

I feel your pain man. I've totally messed up someone's drive in a similar manner before. I haven't had an issue with Ubuntu's disk creator though. It should be smart enough to detect a HDD from a Flash drive. Like someone suggested, maybe you should consider Unetbootin instead in the future. As for recovery, I would typically suggest "testdisk" and "photorec" 'cos I've had varying degrees of success with both in the past, but it seems you have tried that. I came across another such tool recently and it seems to have a lot of buzz about it. I haven't tried it before so I don't know if is appropriate for your issue, but you can check it out. Its called "SpinRite". Its not free though. You can find it here https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 1:33am On Jun 28, 2013
muyiscoi:

Unfortunately, I didn't document everything I did. It was a little easier for me I think because my laptop is Lenovo and they are reputed as one of the more linux compatible OEMs. Basically, what I did is to first enter UEFI from windows 8, then I disabled "secure boot". I later realised that the laptop has a physical button beside the battery jack that boots right into the UEFI, which is pretty handy. I then used the default partition manager on windows to shrink the hard disk (I could only shrink like 150gb or so out of 1TB HDD). I rebooted and used the Ubuntu 12.10 x64 DVD to boot and run the installation on the shrunk space. After installing and rebooting, The system didn't recognise the Ubuntu install. I searched online and found an Ubuntu tool called boot-repair. I then booted d dvd again, installed boot-repair on d live CD and ran it. I think that's what fixed it.
I'm properly missing out a few details 'cos I remember it being much more difficult n stressful than I just enumerated, so don't take this as an instruction.

i'm guessing hp is to blame then. tried boot-repair. posted pastebin links. was on ubuntuforums all the time, searching and asking. seems there're some of us whose PC don't want to dual boot embarassed been using VMWare since then
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tonylee5566(m): 2:24am On Jun 28, 2013
Giorgio: I ordered Ubuntu CDs and I got them. Chxta can I get tutorials from you?
linux is free download from internets ??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2013
muyiscoi:
I feel your pain man. I've totally messed up someone's drive in a similar manner before. I haven't had an issue with Ubuntu's disk creator though. It should be smart enough to detect a HDD from a Flash drive. Like someone suggested, maybe you should consider Unetbootin instead in the future. As for recovery, I would typically suggest "testdisk" and "photorec" 'cos I've had varying degrees of success with both in the past, but it seems you have tried that. I came across another such tool recently and it seems to have a lot of buzz about it. I haven't tried it before so I don't know if is appropriate for your issue, but you can check it out. Its called "SpinRite". Its not free though. You can find it here https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Thanks man. testdisk fixed it for me. I wasn't using the right settings initially.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:46am On Jun 29, 2013
Maleeq: Guys, as i am typing this message, i am seriously sweating. Come to my rescue before something do me o!

yeepa!!! that na serious yawa o,glad you were able to fix the issue sha; i too was about to say testdisk should have been able to fix the issue but since u've done it, no wahala
Re: Ubuntu Linux by TrebleChamp(m): 10:57pm On Jun 30, 2013
Hello tech gurus, pls can i run ubuntu OS on my Dell Insiron n5040 3gb ram, 300gb hdd, 2.13mhz laptop? Am currently on Windows 7 Proffesional 32 bit OS, thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
why not i run Windows 8 and ubuntu 13.04 together just create a spearte partition and install from USB its straight forward.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:31am On Jul 04, 2013
Hey guys!. I wanna plug something, hope y'all don't mind, and I don't get banned grin

I entered the Etisalat Geek force Internship competition and presently, voting is going on to narrow down the contestants.
So, if you could go to http://etisalatgeekforce.tumblr.com/ and vote for "Iyowu Muyiwa", that would be very helpful. My video is on there too, so you can watch it.

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
TrebleChamp: Hello tech gurus, pls can i run ubuntu OS on my Dell Insiron n5040 3gb ram, 300gb hdd, 2.13mhz laptop? Am currently on Windows 7 Proffesional 32 bit OS, thanks.

yes
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:31am On Jul 06, 2013
muyiscoi: Hey guys!. I wanna plug something, hope y'all don't mind, and I don't get banned grin

I entered the Etisalat Geek force Internship competition and presently, voting is going on to narrow down the contestants.
So, if you could go to http://etisalatgeekforce.tumblr.com/ and vote for "Iyowu Muyiwa", that would be very helpful. My video is on there too, so you can watch it.

Thanks.
done!
#TeamMuyiwa!

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by doziej84: 6:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
Maleeq:
Thanks man. testdisk fixed it for me. I wasn't using the right settings initially.

pls hw were u able to use testdisk. i have an external hdd that refuses to open when i plug it in and always brings up a message to format it.
i need to copy out the data i have in it
i urgently need to hv access to the data stored in it.

thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2013
TrebleChamp: Hello tech gurus, pls can i run ubuntu OS on my Dell Insiron n5040 3gb ram, 300gb hdd, 2.13mhz laptop? Am currently on Windows 7 Proffesional 32 bit OS, thanks.

i wonder why people keep using these titles, we're not gurus (except maybe pc guru), i feel a simple hello would be adequate enough

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
doziej84:

pls hw were u able to use testdisk. i have an external hdd that refuses to open when i plug it in and always brings up a message to format it.
i need to copy out the data i have in it
i urgently need to hv access to the data stored in it.

thanks
Follow the instructions at Test Disk: Step By Step Examples.
It pretty straight forward.
It recovers file from formatted drives even...just make you have not written new files to the drive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.