Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,657 members, 7,878,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:37 AM

Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role (3428 Views)

House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash / Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President / Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by diehard(m): 5:45am On Jan 07, 2013
LAGOS—In apparent move to abridge the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s autonomy, House of Representatives plan to hand down bank supervision function to the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, (CIBN).

This move was disclosed by the Chairman House Committee on Banking and Currency, Mr. Jones Onyereri who said this would be an integral focus of the House in 2013 to ensure that it separates bank supervision function away from CBN.

Meanwhile, there is a bill before the House, which seeks to amend the CBN Act 2007 by transferring the power of the board of the apex bank to approve its budget to the National Assembly. The bill also proposes to cut the membership of the board from 12 to seven and to appoint another person, other than the CBN governor, as the chairman of the board.

According to Onyereri, “The core function of the CBN is really on the monetary policy matter; in Nigeria, CBN also uses its core mandate of bank supervision, now we need to hear from CIBN, we are looking at the institute critically.

“With the kind of challenges we have, it has come to the time that we should separate that function away from CBN.”

Make an independent one; probably the Financial Supervisory Committee, to deal with issues of bank supervision. We need to hear from CIBN and then take it from there.” However, Onyereri at the special ACIB Induction for the pioneering graduates of the Chartered Bank MBA of the institute, urged CIBN to rise up to the challenge in making contribution to monetary policy issues, ensuring the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) comes low, being the reason why banks increase their interest rates as this slows down economy growth.

While on the cashless policy by CBN, he said it should be allowed to transient down to significant reduction of charges by banks, stating that before moving to other states, CBN should allow the pilot scheme get to at least 80per cent of Lagos State.

Onyereri decried the underperformance of banks in granting loans to customers, while suggesting that the only way to break the barrier was through empowering the SMEs as CBN plans to bring intervention funds for Micro Finance Banks was a viable measure.
The Chairman House Committee on Banking and Currency further disclosed that when it resumes plenary in 2013, it would focus on cashless policy, financial inclusion, Micro finance banks, amending the NDIC Acts to make it stronger.

How can the national assembly in its right mind give CIBN which are made of bankers to supervise themselves?

LAGOS—In apparent move to abridge the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s autonomy, House of Representatives plan to hand down bank supervision function to the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, (CIBN).

This move was disclosed by the Chairman House Committee on Banking and Currency, Mr. Jones Onyereri who said this would be an integral focus of the House in 2013 to ensure that it separates bank supervision function away from CBN.

Meanwhile, there is a bill before the House, which seeks to amend the CBN Act 2007 by transferring the power of the board of the apex bank to approve its budget to the National Assembly. The bill also proposes to cut the membership of the board from 12 to seven and to appoint another person, other than the CBN governor, as the chairman of the board.

According to Onyereri, “The core function of the CBN is really on the monetary policy matter; in Nigeria, CBN also uses its core mandate of bank supervision, now we need to hear from CIBN, we are looking at the institute critically.

“With the kind of challenges we have, it has come to the time that we should separate that function away from CBN.”

Make an independent one; probably the Financial Supervisory Committee, to deal with issues of bank supervision. We need to hear from CIBN and then take it from there.” However, Onyereri at the special ACIB Induction for the pioneering graduates of the Chartered Bank MBA of the institute, urged CIBN to rise up to the challenge in making contribution to monetary policy issues, ensuring the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) comes low, being the reason why banks increase their interest rates as this slows down economy growth.

While on the cashless policy by CBN, he said it should be allowed to transient down to significant reduction of charges by banks, stating that before moving to other states, CBN should allow the pilot scheme get to at least 80per cent of Lagos State.

Onyereri decried the underperformance of banks in granting loans to customers, while suggesting that the only way to break the barrier was through empowering the SMEs as CBN plans to bring intervention funds for Micro Finance Banks was a viable measure.
The Chairman House Committee on Banking and Currency further disclosed that when it resumes plenary in 2013, it would focus on cashless policy, financial inclusion, Micro finance banks, amending the NDIC Acts to make it stronger.

How can the national assembly in its right mind give CIBN which are made of bankers to supervise themselves?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/reps-move-to-curb-cbns-supervisory-role/
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by elbinmanny(m): 9:46am On Jan 07, 2013
This space is booked!
Voltron will be right back after these messages!
Thank God its not those first to comment idiots cheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by franchizy(m): 9:50am On Jan 07, 2013
First to comment. Dancing Azoonto.
@Topic, who cares. The Honourable is in sane. How can d institute of bankers supervise d bank. I think wit d moves, bankers wil all turn millionaires in one day
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by JimmyBoy1: 9:51am On Jan 07, 2013
This people dont know the technicalities involved in running a Central Bank, they are making these moves not because of the economy, but because of audacious manner SLS deals with them By the way, the legislators are wary of cashlass society, because they dont want their illegal transactions to be traced.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by neksummi(m): 10:00am On Jan 07, 2013
Jimmy Boy: This people dont know the technicalities involved in running a Central Bank, they are making these moves not because of the economy, but because of audacious manner SLS deals with them By the way, the legislators are wary of cashlass society, because they dont want their illegal transactions to be traced.

I agree with you.

Anyway that no concern me. I and some nairalanders are having a good time here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1142592/lets-team-up-ensure-all

We shall me it!
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by elbinmanny(m): 10:01am On Jan 07, 2013
franchizy: First to comment. Dancing Azoonto.
@Topic, who cares. The Honourable is in sane. How can d institute of bankers supervise d bank. I think wit d moves, bankers wil all turn millionaires in one day
Are u really sure??
Nice try, u can do better before 2020 cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by RedLight1: 10:05am On Jan 07, 2013
Jimmy Boy: This people dont know the technicalities involved in running a Central Bank, they are making these moves not because of the economy, but because of audacious manner SLS deals with them By the way, the legislators are wary of cashlass society, because they dont want their illegal transactions to be traced.
are u talkin abt dead and burried cashless society that the clueless aboki (sls) initiated? u really tink cashless policy can stop our polithiefcians 4rm stealing in bilions? U must be kidding
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Okijajuju1(m): 10:11am On Jan 07, 2013
........Er..Those in the banking industry should explain the implication of this..
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Melancholy(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2013
I seconded propossed bill.I do not support the CBN full supervisory role on banks without the national assembly.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 07, 2013
punishing Sanusi i guess

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by anonimi: 10:40am On Jan 07, 2013
I suppose this must be a very important matter affecting the constituents of Onyeneri et al that requires URGENT PRIORITY attention
What happens after Sanusi, the obvious target of this amendment drive is no longer the CBN Governor?
The representaTHIEVES will amend to undo what they are planning to do now?
Typical black man mentality- can't see beyond our nose, the immediate vendetta agenda!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
2015 - Next level democracy!!!
Have you identified and checked out candidates for the next LG councillor & chairman; state assembly & federal representative & senator plus governor & presidential elections

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by lacasa: 11:31am On Jan 07, 2013
K
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
They have allowed the head of the CBN to turn into a monster. Now, they have to face the music.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by tomakint: 12:52pm On Jan 07, 2013
Thank God 2014 is just around the corner so that the bigot (SLS) would have completed his heinous reign at the echelon of the Apex Bank! Sanusi was purely a square peg in a round hole in that exalted position all what he did while their is just to wield to himself financial muscles in order to prepare himself for either the Senate or Presidency (mark my words)! Sanusi is a certified psychopath! cool
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by sparko1(m): 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
lacasa:

K
k? what do you mean by k? you quoted everything and just typed k? is there some kind of allowance for replying. Jess!
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by ITbomb(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2013
Nice
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by mu2sa2: 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
sparko1:
k? what do you mean by k? you quoted everything and just typed k? is there some kind of allowance for replying. Jess!
When u ar using a small phone quoting portions of a post is not possible; even with PC some posters no sabi. Besides, this particular poster may hav send the k mistakenly or taken off his/her initial post leaving only an alphabet since u are not allowed to clean off everything u had sent. Maybe somebody should post a tutorial on this.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 07, 2013
ITbomb:
Nice

Na U and God be that!!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
@Op

Those Reps always give Sanusi the opportunity to Laugh them off....... CIBN ko CIBC ni!!!!
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by rasputinn(m): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2013
What's with the k and nice,after quoting the entire OP ??
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by kinguwem: 5:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
It's either the House of Representatives has lost focus or the members are still grief-stricken concerning the manner F. Lawan & co. were humilated for taking bribes.
Mediocrity has been taken to the highest level. The CBN should be allowed to perform her statutory function.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 07, 2013
kinguwem: It's either the House of Representatives has lost focus or the members are still grief-stricken concerning the manner F. Lawan & co. were humilated for taking bribes.
Mediocrity has been taken to the highest level. The CBN should be allowed to perform her statutory function.

Was CBN that caught them or just independent body? Stop making CBN looks as if it is innocent in managing the nation money. The height of corruption starts from the Apex bank because it is responsible for most of the funds that is leaving the shore of the country.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by preciousoz: 7:14am On Jan 08, 2013
CBN should be left alone and even grant them full Autonomy.

I believe the politicians have learnt their lessons... Specialized agencies should not be tribalized and professionals with god track records should be appointed and approved to Man them.

Our leaders are so childish.... This is a war between doing the right thing and doing their corrupt bidding.

Smh

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
preciousoz: CBN should be left alone and even grant them full Autonomy.

I believe the politicians have learnt their lessons... Specialized agencies should not be tribalized and professionals with god track records should be appointed and approved to Man them.

Our leaders are so childish.... This is a war between doing the right thing and doing their corrupt bidding.

Smh
On what reason should CBN be fully autonomous? The reason why you can not see some individuals within the sector see bank as avenue to manage it they way they like not what the laws of that sector say speak much of your shallow opinion. We have seen Islamic banking cropped up in the past due to the decisions of some certain people within the Apex bank. Can we let such things continue without intervention?

To be autonomous doesn't mean it can not be monitored by external body within the nation but the operation has to be carried out as enacted by laws within the banking system. No this your exaggerated full autonomy.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by preciousoz: 11:22am On Jan 12, 2013
all4naija: On what reason should CBN be fully autonomous? The reason why you can not see some individuals within the sector see bank as avenue to manage it they way they like not what the laws of that sector say speak much of your shallow opinion. We have seen Islamic banking cropped up in the past due to the decisions of some certain people within the Apex bank. Can we let such things continue without intervention?

To be autonomous doesn't mean it can not be monitored by external body within the nation but the operation has to be carried out as enacted by laws within the banking system. No this your exaggerated full autonomy.

Please read my post again and pls mae sure you understand it very well before commenting/ passing verdict on who is shallow or not.

Are you even a graduate ? What is wrong with Islamic Baning? Do you even know what you are talking about ?

No harm intended bro...
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
preciousoz:

Please read my post again and pls mae sure you understand it very well before commenting/ passing verdict on who is shallow or not.

Are you even a graduate ? What is wrong with Islamic Baning? Do you even know what you are talking about ?

No harm intended bro...

I wish I can understand what you are talking about. Indeed, you seem to be indifferent about the topic the moment you see the Islamic Banking term in my comment. Graduate is not the issue at hand but your very idea to mislead the forum advocating for full autonomy. I am beginning to get wary of your ineptitude to see how the duty of CBN has been carried out by some unhealthy elements within the system.

Please, spare me this your attempt to look educated. But you failed to convince me of that.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by preciousoz: 3:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
all4naija: I wish I can understand what you are talking about. Indeed, you seem to be indifferent about the topic the moment you see the Islamic Banking term in my comment. Graduate is not the issue at hand but your very idea to mislead the forum advocating for full autonomy. I am beginning to get wary of your ineptitude to see how the duty of CBN has been carried out by some unhealthy elements within the system.

Please, spare me this your attempt to look educated. But you failed to convince me of that.

Please don't quote me if You can't argue Objectively. If you realy know what you talking about, You come up with facts and don't resort to insults.

I wonder why youths can't communicate without sounding Rude.

Bros dey your Lane as am not in this forum for your Type. If you ready to engage in a healthy discourse, then You will learn to be Civil.

All the best.
Re: Reps Move To Curb Cbn’s Supervisory Role by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 12, 2013
preciousoz:

Please don't quote me if You can't argue Objectively. If you realy know what you talking about, You come up with facts and don't resort to insults.

I wonder why youths can't communicate without sounding Rude.

Bros dey your Lane as am not in this forum for your Type. If you ready to engage in a healthy discourse, then You will learn to be Civil.

All the best.
Okay! See ya!

(1) (Reply)

Asokoro DPO Didn't Hold G7 Governors Hostage, He Was Disgraced By Them (video) / See What Wikipedia Just Said About Pmb And Gej: Notice The Bolded Statements / Why Are BH Activities Now Being Under-reported By The Media?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.