Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,008 members, 7,928,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 07:47 AM

Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? (11923 Views)

Engineers In The House / Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. / All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 11:24am On Jan 10, 2013
snthesis: this thread is a waste of time, engrs in naija hav nothing to prove, get ur definitions of the terms correctly, then just mayb i cud spend a lil time clarifying issues.

They have alot to prove, if not, we won't have reasons to see the high influx of foreign engineers into Nigeria.

Indians
Germans
Americans
e.t.c
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by snthesis(m): 12:07pm On Jan 10, 2013
honeric01:

They have alot to prove, if not, we won't have reasons to see the high influx of foreign engineers into Nigeria.

Indians
Germans
Americans
e.t.c
duh! and u tink those guys are engrs shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked,
well if u arnt aware most of those guys are handymen, technicians, technologist,
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 12:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
snthesis:
duh! and u tink those guys are engrs shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked,
well if u arnt aware most of those guys are handymen, technicians, technologist,

So you mean the foreigners we have coming in to earn in hard currencies are not engineers, rather are handymen, technicians, technologist? LOL, this is another joke, meaning these people are even preferred to the actual Nigerian 'Engineers"? shocked grin grin grin embarassed
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
honeric01:

So you mean the foreigners we have coming in to earn in hard currencies are not engineers, rather are handymen, technicians, technologist? LOL, this is another joke, meaning these people are even preferred to the actual Nigerian 'Engineers"? shocked grin grin grin embarassed

Quit while you are ahead man. I know a vast majority of foreigners in O&G are technicians. I don't know why folks like to state their opinions as facts.

I guess you can argue that economists in Nigeria are no better than market women otherwise the likes of Glo, Dangote would not employ 'foreigners' as MDs.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
naijababe:

Quit while you are ahead man. I know a vast majority of foreigners in O&G are technicians. I don't know why folks like to state their opinions as facts.

I guess you can argue that economists in Nigeria are no better than market women otherwise the likes of Glo, Dangote would not employ 'foreigners' as MDs.

Maybe you think i am talking about what i don't understand. let me remind you again. i have engineers and technicians around (very close ones) and i was also opportune to know about internal workings in some companies like NTTS, Alcatel, JB e.t.c.

Lastly, my late Dad was a fab engineer and one of my elder bro is an Elect. Eng.
My dad was an alumni of yabatech (70s)and he built gigantic machines of agricultural produce, stuffs like that, employed some "engineers' who he had to re-trained and eventually sacked because they had no idea how to "practicalise" what they had upstairs (theory)

Also have friends who are technicians and engineers. (yoruba call some of these people "afenu lu ma lee lu) (they can drum with their mouth but not with their hands).

Lastly, i am still expecting to see some inventions from our paper engineers.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by hopefullman: 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
If u go 2 alaba, oshodi&other placs in lagos u wil see thos electronics guys designing real working gadgets/equipments that even some phd holder cant even atempt.thos guys wil tel u in depth which cct wil work.they can manipulat cct 4various use yet many of them dont even have OND.bt put them besid som phd lecturers in uni&poly they wl beat them hands down.they wil even confuse them
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2013
hopefullman: If u go 2 alaba, oshodi&other placs in lagos u wil see thos electronics guys designing real working gadgets/equipments that even some phd holder cant even atempt.thos guys wil tel u in depth which cct wil work.they can manipulat cct 4various use yet many of them dont even have OND.bt put them besid som phd lecturers in uni&poly they wl beat them hands down.they wil even confuse them
Those guys are technicians that are very good at what they do. Some years ago, a friends younger brother took his PlayStation 1 just bought from the UK (then it was just released ) to Oshodi. He told us that the igbo guy brought an IC from a different shop, soldered it to the CPU, connected some tiny wires, then the console started playing pirated CDs.

honeric01:

Unfortunately, that's the bitter truth.
Using the oil industry as an example, most of these expatriates started out as apprentices (floorhands aka labourers/motorhands/derrick hands/drillers) till they become journeypersons. After the 3 or 4 levels of the apprenticeship program, they graduate to become technicians, after years of experience on the job, they rise to become rig managers. They usually come down to Africa to earn big bucks even while some of them are still apprentices.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 10, 2013
honeric01:

Maybe you think i am talking about what i don't understand. let me remind you again. i have engineers and technicians around (very close ones) and i was also opportune to know about internal workings in some companies like NTTS, Alcatel, JB e.t.c.

Lastly, my late Dad was a fab engineer and one of my elder bro is an Elect. Eng.
My dad was an alumni of yabatech (70s)and he built gigantic machines of agricultural produce, stuffs like that, employed some "engineers' who he had to re-trained and eventually sacked because they had no idea how to "practicalise" what they had upstairs (theory)

Also have friends who are technicians and engineers. (yoruba call some of these people "afenu lu ma lee lu) (they can drum with their mouth but not with their hands).

Lastly, i am still expecting to see some inventions from our paper engineers.

More ignorance, last time I checked Yabatech awarded and still awards diplomas which is what technicians get. Seems to me like you are unable to distinguish between engineers and technicians.

The internal combustion engine was invented by an engineer, that my Ijebu mechanic can string a bunch of car parts together and make it work still does not make him an engineer. You want engineers at the forefront of engineering in Nigeria where R & D departments in universities are most nearly non existent.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 6:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
naijababe:

More ignorance, last time I checked Yabatech awarded and still awards diplomas which is what technicians get. Seems to me like you are unable to distinguish between engineers and technicians.

The internal combustion engine was invented by an engineer, that my Ijebu mechanic can string a bunch of car parts together and make it work still does not make him an engineer. You want engineers at the forefront of engineering in Nigeria where R & D departments in universities are most nearly non existent.

Pointing to Yabatech is to show you that apart from just having a degree from a university, he had to go to yabatech too. hope it's clearer now?

You seems to be throwing the word "ignorance" about, yet haven't come up with any notable invention from Nigerian engineers nor why i should see them in a different light from how i see them for now.

My stand? until they start inventing, I won't rate them higher than technicians.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by ignis: 6:44pm On Jan 10, 2013
coruso: A good engineer can design and impliment the design, while a technican can only impliment design. so engineers are not in the same level with technicians.
That's the summary of the whole thing.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2013
^
naijababe:

The internal combustion engine was invented by an engineer, that my Ijebu mechanic can string a bunch of car parts together and make it work still does not make him an engineer. [size=16pt]You want engineers at the forefront of engineering in Nigeria where R & D departments in universities are most nearly non existent.[/size]

Are sure you know what invention means? Read the bolded again.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 7:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
naijababe: ^

Are sure you know what invention means? Read the bolded again.

refer to the chinese farmer who invented a car powered by air/battery. Did it with his 40 yrs savings in his village. Come up with another excuse.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 10, 2013
honeric01:

refer to the chinese farmer who invented a car powered by air/battery. Did it with his 40 yrs savings in his village. Come up with another excuse.

An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process. It may be an improvement upon a machine or product, or a new process for creating an object or a result. An invention that achieves a completely unique function or result may be a radical breakthrough. Such works are novel and not obvious to others skilled in the same field.

I rest my case.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2013
naijababe:

An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process. It may be an improvement upon a machine or product, or a new process for creating an object or a result. An invention that achieves a completely unique function or result may be a radical breakthrough. Such works are novel and not obvious to others skilled in the same field.

I rest my case.

mamapips, summary's that Nigerian engineers brought this upon themselves because they've not been able to distinguish themselves from technicians by putting into practice the edge they have over technicians, hence the room for comparison.

I carry my case put for warehouse!
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
Honerics dad is a poly grad and honeric is simply continuing the ageold beef of polytechnic grads toward engineers. We are currently overseeing the construction of a million litre tank my colleague designed. Minds like honerics will say the guy no sabi because he is not personally welding the tank.

I do electrical design - to a mind like honeric I should get cred by drawing wires

Nonsense
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2013
oyb: Honerics dad is a poly grad and honeric is simply continuing the ageold beef of polytechnic grads toward engineers. We are currently overseeing the construction of a million litre tank my colleague designed. Minds like honerics will say the guy no sabi because he is not personally welding the tank.

I do electrical design - to a mind like honeric I should get cred by drawing wires

Nonsense

i hope u don't have problems reading? A degree before yabatech?

No one's asking you to weild or carry blocks, what's expected of you, i already explained.

Comprehend?

Nonsense'2 hehehe.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by hopefullman: 12:01am On Jan 11, 2013
Anybody knows Dr awojobi in oyo state,ibarapa local govt?he's a medical doctor bt he designs various engring&medical equipments used in his hospital&lab.centrifuge,sterilizer,power plant,inverters,water system,dam etc.despit being in a remote vilage.he was abl 2provid soln 4various prblms dt many of our so cald engrs cant imagin.he was never a member of COREN or NSE bt he design &implement the design of thos equipments himself.he wasnt lukin 4who 2supervis despit being a doctor.the british embassy even recognised him and gave him an award.wil u stil cal him a technician or an engr?
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:50am On Jan 11, 2013
Kind of agree with honeric, actually embarassed

There are a few exceptions, oyb is prolly one, but in general, the engineering profession is in the toilet in Naija. For many reasons, yes, but there it is.
NSE, COREN, that whole gang that should be leading the country to the next level of tech advancement, just function primarily as civil servants, government contractors and amugbalegbes. Bowtie-wearing freaks with no creativity, and a revolting sense of entitlement. You would think they were the ones who fought for Nigeria's independence, with the way they carry on, setting bogus, outdated, and completely irrelevant standards that nobody cares about. Shitheads angry

Nobody who works as an engineer in this market, and is surrounded by Nigerian engineers, would honestly delude themselves to think there is any serious engineering going on. When you have Britons and South Africans with no degree and just technician training holding the title of Chief Engineering Officer in Nigeria, I think we all need to shut up and think about where we missed the boat, and what we younger peeps can do to change the game. Nothing at all for engineers to beat their chests about in Nigeria.

You could prolly say same of the medical profession. Also in the toilet, in Nigeria. It's quite shitty, the way both professions have gone to the dogs totally in this country. No competence anywhere. Yet the medical profession has its own share of bowtie-wearing idiots who diagnose every single ailment as 'infection', and push a few antibiotics your way.

Imagine a top Nigerian hospital diagnosing a case of prostate cancer as 'typhoid', and persisting in the treatment of 'typhoid', until the patient was near death. shocked No kidding, not a tall tale, we see these things happen everyday.
Imagine that you can't even find a bloody paediatrician that knows how to treat asthma in children in the whole freaking country. Yet these people pass around CVs filled with countless bogus 'accomplishments', awards, etc, etc. Abegi angry angry

There are a few efforts here and there, some good work being done, but hey - this is a country of 160 million people. Whatever activity is being done, is way to meagre for a nation that wants to be taken seriously.

1 Like

Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by sammychimex(m): 7:13am On Oct 27, 2015
nairalady:
well, me thinks they are better

If u think technicians are better why not confront them with a design problem. Do u throw away quality because of economy. Engineers combines both quality and economy. Technicians cant give you both atleast not at the same time.
Re: Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? by ade2008(m): 9:16am On Mar 17, 2016
Nigerian are theorist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ICAN Holds 60th Induction Ceremony / Naval College Graduates 18 Military Officers / Mass Job Losses Loom In Q1 2023 Amid Naira Crisis - Manufacturers, Economist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.