Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,967 members, 7,973,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 02:47 PM

Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome (11681 Views)

Photos Of Specially Made Armored Patrol Vehicles Proudly Crafted In Nigeria / Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by pafestula(m): 12:12am On Jan 12, 2013
dapsonlou: the cars are popular because the parts are cheap, it's not the best cars for Nigeria, but even a poor man can maintain a 2012 honda. the car of the year since 2003 is Mercedes Eclass, but Nigerians cause they can't afford it will tell you the car is problematic.. Anything Nigerians can't afford they will tell u it's problematic... Nigerians will even tell you V6 honda that's better than the 4cylinder is problematic cause they don't know how to fix it
Seconded to auto expert analysis
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by pafestula(m): 12:16am On Jan 12, 2013
Nightshift: A Lagos boy(Omo eko) talking about cars. I bet you know nothing about what you wrote here. For the record , the German big 4 (MB, BMW , Porsche and VW/Audi) have exported more vehicles to China and India, the 2 biggest markets, in the last 5 years than all the Japanese put together. Those with big cash to spend do not want to be seen driving a Japanese vehicle.

Seconded to another exposed auto user.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by donugapi(m): 12:23am On Jan 12, 2013
ehie: LOL..i filled up my tank last week and friday,and i have fuel on quarted tank now...can u try that with passat,i will probably fill my tank upper monday,and the distance between my house to work is about 45 minutes without holdup,with holdup roughly and hour and i go to work everyday,however i do not use the all the time...all these ur calculations na u sabi

I use a passat.. It's a 1.8 Turbo charged engine.. I'm sure it'll do better than your Toyota. A full tank of gas in my car would do considerably more than what you've described here...

It's all a matter of cost for people going for Japanese.

If you're all about quality, comfort and enhanced SAFETY, you'll definitely prefer the bigger German names. The german cars are built tougher with higher grade materials.. That's why they generally cost more to maintain!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by pafestula(m): 12:29am On Jan 12, 2013
Nightshift: So you are saying that bad economy makes Nigerians prefer Japanese cars? As a young boy in late 70s i saw Nigerians proudly display their Mercedes -Benz like a trophy . Those were the years known in Nigerian-speak as the period of ' my Mercedes is bigger than my neighbour's'. Folks were proud of owning and displaying those shiny silverstars in front of their house . I would say that poverty made Nigerians think Japanese vehicles are best in Nigeria . Definitely not off point....
I'm happy they re gradually saying their real minds out. *poverty*
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by donugapi(m): 12:30am On Jan 12, 2013
Ikenna351:

Your posts in this thread showed that you know nothing about cars, yet you keep trying to prove a point you dont even understand.

How you could compare two cars fuel economy without first knowing their engine capacities, engine cubic/litre, no. of cylinders, naturally aspirated or turbo, car weight, tyre sizes, state of their injection systems, etc.

Its obvious that your Passat was having a serious injection issue, but you failed to solve the problem. The truth is, not everyone deserves every car. If you dont know how to handle or maintain an EFI car, dont bother owing one. Go for fuel carburreted engine car. Newer cars have made diagnosis so easy that you dont need a mechanic to do repairs on your car anymore, except the major repairs, yet to some folks still cant tell a spark plug from injector, when they have internet access. What do we even use internet for? To check to know the next Governor rumoured to have died? Smh!

While the Passast was giving you issues, did you bother to scan it? Did you bother to take it to a reputable VW workshop? Why should you complain when you chose an under mango tree mechanic, i believe. No offence, but Euro cars are not for unserious car owners.

Ikenna.

Bro you hit the nail on the head!!! So many ppl just chat bollocks here without having any proper auto knowledge..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nightshift(m): 12:54am On Jan 12, 2013
pafestula:
I'm happy they re gradually saying their real minds out. *poverty*
If you hit those young boys with historical facts , they run away . They don't know anything about good-old Nigeria. Middleclass had good life in that country before army boys destroyed Nigeria. That was Nigeria i will remember 'til i die. It was a sweet and a just Nigeria. Never to be forgotten....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 12, 2013
Because they are lol. grin
Their Honda's of the 90s are still going strong!! grin grin

european cars only look good. tongue

American cars are only good to americans NOW because it costs less for new american
parts in this nation but if we are talking durability and quality, Japan
has the master plan!! cool
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by octavian(m): 5:25am On Jan 12, 2013
ekt_bear: I like Japanese cars because they are:

1) Reliable
2) Inexpensive

European cars tend to be expensive.

American cars tend to be unreliable.

Korean cars...so Hyundai and Kia? I have no beef with them, but feel more comfortable with Honda and Toyota.

Please test drive Audi A7... U'll be convinced
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 12, 2013
so u are saying its poverty?i dont think so,why would someone spend so much on a depreciating asset?why not use the hundreds of thousands to fix a small fault on real estate?i think warren buffet did not get to a billionaire by choosing comfort over neccesity,anyway i know where u guys are coming from,its a status thing,the thing that would make u drive a ten million car and still stay in a rented apartment,abt being poorthere is no shame in being poor,millions rose from rags to riches,millions havefallen from riches to rags.to every man his own
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by yungboss(m): 9:29am On Jan 12, 2013
Japanese cars are cheaper to run sort of...but it doesn't make them better as some persons pointed
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by yungboss(m): 9:40am On Jan 12, 2013
japanese make good cars, no doubt. The lexus LS450, Gs toyota avalon, corolla, Nissan Sunny, Altima, maxima, gtr, nissan skyline, subaru imprezza, 350z, celica, honda s2000, accord and acura name it...
But when i look at the european/german heritage, the peugeots, 504 and 505 (Nigeria's first love), the Merc c63 amg black series, the Audis, A8 A4 and A6 ,Passats, S class (for rich kingpins) and the adorable 7series for CEOs (from suge knights to warren buffet someone mentioned), the 3series M3s and the 5 series M5s...the SLS mercedes and the AMGs...the german porshe carrera, boxter, the Opel and the Volvos, lambos and Buggati veyron etc.
I think the European have better cars when you own and drive them, you have a personality cult sort of...fuel economy varies across the range, and its mostly traded off for high performance. When i look at these and take a personal stance, i go with the German/european cars...the only asian car i dont mind to own is the lexus, not because of economy but its marque.
The asian guys tend to mass-produce cheap and reliable vehicles (which is the attraction of many Nigerians) and have some good utility vehicles in the hilux and hiace, the germans/europeans make those haulage vehicles like the Mark truck, Actross, volvo, leylend etc. So it depends on what you want in a vehicle. You need to love cars to own German cars, for me they are the best and they ruled Nigeria in the past...too many things on the road these days...someone said KIA is an acronym for Killed In Action, i dont think so though...most nigerians make choices based on what they see and hear...hence partly why toyota and honda flood the market

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by tdie: 9:52am On Jan 12, 2013
IMO I don't think its about being poor or having money... afterall methinks that Japanese cars are actually overpriced...
In the Nigerian Context (as far as owning or driving a Car is involved), i think there are two different kinds of people

a: People who just need a car (whether new or old) to get from point A to B and live their lives with minimal hassles, Air conditioner working, good sound system and good fuel economy is basically all they need. Also important is cheap mechanic labor... and cheaper parts. They couldnt care less bout handling, DIY etc. For this group of people, Japanese Cars are wonderful.
Japanese cars can also take more mechanic abuse (especially in the electricals) without totally dying.

b: People who need a car (whether new or old) to get from point A to B and also want something extra apart from AC and sound system. Minimal hassles for this group is dependent on whether they can get a good mechanic and a good source of original parts. Also they care about handling, aesthetics, etc. they also want good fuel economy. For this group of people (myself included), we have dared look beyond Japan and are not regretting it one bit.

Its different strokes for different folks, and sofar as we dont yet have good car workshops/mechanics the safest for most people to do would be to go Japanese. For those of use who have gone European or American, we are mostly not regretting it and we are also getting good fuel economy and reliablity-because we have good mechanics or have adopted DIY.

Its a free world so begrudge ye not each other...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by yungboss(m): 10:07am On Jan 12, 2013
t-die:
IMO I don't think its about being poor or having money... afterall methinks that Japanese cars are actually overpriced...
In the Nigerian Context (as far as owning or driving a Car is involved), i think there are two different kinds of people

a: People who just need a car (whether new or old) to get from point A to B and live their lives with minimal hassles, Air conditioner working, good sound system and good fuel economy is basically all they need. Also important is cheap mechanic labor... and cheaper parts. They couldnt care less bout handling, DIY etc. For this group of people, Japanese Cars are wonderful.
Japanese cars can also take more mechanic abuse (especially in the electricals) without totally dying.

b: People who need a car (whether new or old) to get from point A to B and also want something extra apart from AC and sound system. Minimal hassles for this group is dependent on whether they can get a good mechanic and a good source of original parts. Also they care about handling, aesthetics, etc. they also want good fuel economy. For this group of people (myself included), we have dared look beyond Japan and are not regretting it one bit.

Its different strokes for different folks, and sofar as we dont yet have good car workshops/mechanics the safest for most people to do would be to go Japanese. For those of use who have gone European or American, we are mostly not regretting it and we are also getting good fuel economy and reliablity-because we have good mechanics or have adopted DIY.

Its a free world so begrudge ye not each other...
right on point t-die, you forgot to attribute the second class to prestige and status symbol...you know, then i never liked the 406 when it came out, not because its not a good car, i felt owning one would make me look like a commissioner or a permanent Secretary..
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by abdulkadir(m): 1:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
[quote author=Seyilome] you are talking history,German cars are going down gradually except benz dat is still doing better,Japanese cars have taken the lead,u only surpport German cars because u own one,let me tell u i dont surpport Japanese car because i own one but because of Japan technology,Japan never does inferior technology,though German started atoumobile before them but they have taken them
i think u have not been seen Honda interior,say the fact u benz gives u fault,but surffering and smilling,benz dat

whre did you get your facts
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by abdulkadir(m): 1:33pm On Jan 12, 2013
[quote author=youngchopper]bro we aint talkin about who sold more or not. Na 9ja terms we dey yarn. Believe it or not japan as cum to stay. They ar far beta dan german in terms of maintanace here in nigeria. I laff wen peeps on these forum talk about handlin, na 4 which road u wan test ur german machine? Truth as to be said japan win it hands down. Av ownd both france , german and japan. Will honestly tell u dat japan is da best in every rankin. Dont just wana remenber my puj 607 dat always chase me in ma
your japaoutos would hav been scraped if they are as old as ikenna's pugs.
D dude was refering to d guy who said german cars are bla....bla except benz. So avoid dble standard...
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by abdulkadir(m): 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
octavian:

Please test drive Audi A7... U'll be convinced

you wan kill d guy?
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by ItsJosh: 2:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
I fink Nigerians think japanese has the best set of cars 'cause they have the best set of cars.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by sultaan(m): 3:20am On Jan 13, 2013
Are we all talking about the same Nigerians that will pick a 4cyl Camry over a Lexus, or Avalon.

In Nigerians they buy Acura TL and expect the fuel economy of a Corolla.

Its true on average japanese cars are more reliable, but the premium cost is far greater cost of replacing a defective part of other brands.

Spare parts are not made by manufacturers, most are made to specs which means the brake pad of a Camry might be the same as that of a ford, dodge, Suzuki and a kia. and that is for all parts.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Originalsly: 4:40am On Jan 13, 2013
Most Nigerians can't afford to buy European cars....if they do they can't afford maintenance.....if they do they can't find a good mechanic....if they do they can't get the required parts....if they do the mechanic will take forever to get the car fixed. Cheaper, more reliable and cheaper to maintain....not only in Nigeria. Why do National Geographic and explorers almost always use Toyotas?
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Advocatesam(f): 7:19am On Jan 13, 2013
Walahitalai, my VW limousine Golf III is beta than any fucking Japanese car in terms of performance, maintenance, gas mileage, reliability, affordable parts, access to good mechanic, second hand value, speed, ruggedibility, abeg help me add more factors. Japanese car especially Toyota na Toy. German car/European cars no get expiry date once u ve a good maintenance culture but all dis Jap toys get expiry date even if u dey treat am like miss world.

Make I dey go church

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by samkoro: 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
Nightshift: If you hit those young boys with historical facts , they run away . They don't know anything about good-old Nigeria. Middleclass had good life in that country before army boys destroyed Nigeria. That was Nigeria i will remember 'til i die. It was a sweet and a just Nigeria. Never to be forgotten....

Yeah, good old Nigeria of peougeot 505,404,304,505,mercedece,cetreon,volkwagon Santana and passat,ladder,volvo,Renault,fiat,rangerover,alpha romeo etc
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by samkoro: 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2013
Advocate sam: Walahitalai, my VW limousine Golf III is beta than any fucking Japanese car in terms of performance, maintenance, gas mileage, reliability, affordable parts, access to good mechanic, second hand value, speed, ruggedibility, abeg help me add more factors. Japanese car especially Toyota na Toy. German car/European cars no get expiry date once u ve a good maintenance culture but all dis Jap toys get expiry date even if u dey treat am like miss world.

Make I dey go church

That's why the oldest of taxis,towing vehicle,mass transit buses and trucks are european
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by automaticcars: 12:15am On Jan 14, 2013
sultaan: Are we all talking about the same Nigerians that will pick a 4cyl Camry over a Lexus, or Avalon.

In Nigerians they buy Acura TL and expect the fuel economy of a Corolla.

Its true on average japanese cars are more reliable, but the premium cost is far greater cost of replacing a defective part of other brands.

Spare parts are not made by manufacturers, most are made to specs which means the brake pad of a Camry might be the same as that of a ford, dodge, Suzuki and a kia. and that is for all parts.

You couldn't have said it better. A guy wanted to buy my car and the moment I told him the car has V6 engine, the guy said V6 engines are bad engines. So the guy just ended the transaction on the spot. If all these people know what it is to have V6 engine in a car, they wont drive V4 engine again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by dapsonlou(m): 5:20am On Jan 16, 2013
Nightshift: So you are saying that bad economy makes Nigerians prefer Japanese cars? As a young boy in late 70s i saw Nigerians proudly display their Mercedes -Benz like a trophy . Those were the years known in Nigerian-speak as the period of ' my Mercedes is bigger than my neighbour's'. Folks were proud of owning and displaying those shiny silverstars in front of their house . I would say that poverty made Nigerians think Japanese vehicles are best in Nigeria . Definitely not off point....

my guy i swear you are right, i remember when i was in high school ss3 my father bought me a 1985 e230 tokunbo benz, back in 1993, jesus till today, everyone in my neighborhood still refer to me, don't you remember dapo tokunbo.. that is the respect benz get you.... poverty and shame is the only thing that will make a man lie about preferring Japanese to German, them no dey level o ejo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by nnamokenna(m): 11:18am On Jan 16, 2013
donugapi:
The german cars are built tougher with higher grade materials.. That's why they generally cost more to maintain!!

I wonder how you came to that conclusion!

A lot of posters have derailed completely from the topic. Lots of sentiments and emotions but remember that the OP asked why NIGERIANS would rather go for a Japmobile than cars from other nations (especially Europe and America). Posters started comparing cars even quoting facts and figures that relate to foreign countries and circumstances.

But we are talking of NIGERIA and the Nigerian situation is a peculiar one. Some posters have already hit the nail on the head and if we continue to argue this topic from now to infinity, the fact still remains: NIGERIANS go for Japmobiles because of low maintenance costs due to (1)availability and relative low cost of parts (2)availability of auto mechanics who can fix them.

All other reasons that have been adduced (fuel consumption, durability, performance, speed, etc,) are relative.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by datola: 2:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
Toyota Corolla has been world's number 1 selling car for years. I think a Ford brand just took over. So, it I not a Nigerian mentality but world's.

Toyota cars remain the most reliable cars in the world. They might come behind in build quality and performance but in reliability and maintenance which are key for an average world citizen, they are the best.

The best of European cars are luxury cars and as such more expensive. They are more advanced and complicated to work on compared to Jap's.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by sultaan(m): 11:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
datola: Toyota Corolla has been world's number 1 selling car for years. I think a Ford brand just took over. So, it I not a Nigerian mentality but world's.

Toyota cars remain the most reliable cars in the world. They might come behind in build quality and performance but in reliability and maintenance which are key for an average world citizen, they are the best.

The best of European cars are luxury cars and as such more expensive. They are more advanced and complicated to work on compared to Jap's.

Now its the Ford Focus, a small car by American standards, but mid size by global standards and better looking.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by computerglobal(m): 6:00am On May 16, 2017
For european vehicle checks and look up

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Is Petrol In Your Area? / Signs Your Car Needs An Alignment And Benefits Of Tire Alignment / 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.