Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,519 members, 7,885,168 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:41 AM

Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome (11592 Views)

Photos Of Specially Made Armored Patrol Vehicles Proudly Crafted In Nigeria / Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by automaticcars: 4:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
Why do Nigerians think Japanese vehicles are better than Europeans, Koreans, Americans and German vehicles? The world is changing everyday and technology is swiftly changing the way vehicles opereate. There are parts available for most vehicles in Nigeria. I have been watching and asking myself why Nigerians don't patronize other vehicle brands except Japanese brands. In the last seven years, there have been recalls after recalls of all Japanese brands on monthly bases. Has anyone ever heard where German, Korean, or any other european vehicles being recalled for major flaw like the toyotas, hondas, nissan, and co? What is the problem with Nigerians when making car choices? Imagine someone who has never bought or used a car before in his life telling me how bad European vehicles are. I asked him how did he know European vehicles are bad? He told me he heard it from people before.

Ladies and gentlemen, why do Nigerians mostly buy Japanese vehicles and not other brands?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by youngchopper(m): 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
automaticcars: Why do Nigerians think Japanese vehicles are better than Europeans, Koreans, Americans and German vehicles? The world is changing everyday and technology is swiftly changing the way vehicles opereate. There are parts available for most vehicles in Nigeria. I have been watching and asking myself why Nigerians don't patronize other vehicle brands except Japanese brands. In the last seven years, there have been recalls after recalls of all Japanese brands on monthly bases. Has anyone ever heard where German, Korean, or any other european vehicles being recalled for major flaw like the toyotas, hondas, nissan, and co? What is the problem with Nigerians when making car choices? Imagine someone who has never bought or used a car before in his life telling me how bad European vehicles are. I asked him how did he know European vehicles are bad? He told me he heard it from people before.

Ladies and gentlemen, why do Nigerians mostly buy Japanese vehicles and not other brands?
bro will u buy a car dat no mechanic and parts ar scarce due to few people. This are tins to consider when buying a car. Abi u wan dey ship the car to europe 4 maintance??

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 10, 2013
youngchopper: bro will u buy a car dat no mechanic and parts ar scarce due to few people. This are tins to consider when buying a car. Abi u wan dey ship the car to europe 4 maintance??

Ha! Lmao
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Digriz(m): 9:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
May be bcus of fuel economy and cheaper spare parts.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by youngchopper(m): 9:37pm On Jan 10, 2013
Digriz: May be bcus of fuel economy and cheaper spare parts.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by bigx(m): 6:05am On Jan 11, 2013
Digriz: May be bcus of fuel economy and cheaper spare parts.

Cheaper spare parts likely, because my french car can compete with any japmobile on fuel economy
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by yungboss(m): 7:16am On Jan 11, 2013
It is the nigerian mentality, the Japanese cars have Mechanics on every nook and cranny, the European cars are too detailed for the Nigerian mechanic...imagine my BMW 320i, when you consider its age (19years) and Mechanics inability to fix a simple vacuum issue that i had for over 4 months, you know that's apalling and shameful...something that took me less than 15 minutes to fix up, with only a simple screwdriver was taken to five Mechanic shops, and none could identify the simple cause of dark fumes emission and stalling. sometimes i do not worry about this subject issue...
Secondly, our mechanics are not willing to learn new things, they work by trials. This was made clearer to me from my last experience, A (BMW) mechanic does not devote his time to source out details elsewhere...the internet is the best places to learn alot, but which mechanic uses information from the internet to enhance their job?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by youngchopper(m): 9:53am On Jan 11, 2013
yungboss: It is the nigerian mentality, the Japanese cars have Mechanics on every nook and cranny, the European cars are too detailed for the Nigerian mechanic...imagine my BMW 320i, when you consider its age (19years) and Mechanics inability to fix a simple vacuum issue that i had for over 4 months, you know that's apalling and shameful...something that took me less than 15 minutes to fix up, with only a simple screwdriver was taken to five Mechanic shops, and none could identify the simple cause of dark fumes emission and stalling. sometimes i do not worry about this subject issue...
Secondly, our mechanics are not willing to learn new things, they work by trials. This was made clearer to me from my last experience, A (BMW) mechanic does not devote his time to source out details elsewhere...the internet is the best places to learn alot, but which mechanic uses information from the internet to enhance their job?
d same happend to ma pejout 607. Na so dem destroy the car 4 me oo. Since den av joined the japan trend. Wetin man go do na. @ lease ma vQ 3.5 engine can compete wit any german machine: if u cant beat dem join dem!
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by abdulkadir(m): 10:49am On Jan 11, 2013
Apart from d mechanic issues our economy can hardly sustain european cars cos they are more expensive to maintain & buy. The influx of jap and other asian automobiles into the nigerian market was more when our economy took a downturn som 20 or dreabout years ago. When i was growin up what you see in most car parks & streets were pugs, mercs, bimmers, VWs, Opels nd dre likes.
anothr issue was that japmobiles HAD bettr fuel economy dan dre european countrparts. dat gave them an edge in naija. But suprisinly u still hear pple say dey dont want european vehicle because they are fuel guzzlers. Mnwhyl a 1st gen c class nd a 406 has a relatively bettr fuel economy dan an accord nd or corolla in d same category.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by mipemi(m): 12:11pm On Jan 11, 2013
well, as for me i don't think Japanese cars are the best....i know that German cars are the best. Talk about strength, durability, the class..though they may not be fuel efficient i still rate them as the best.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Paentera(m): 12:20pm On Jan 11, 2013
Its the same reason most want to use Blackberry - follow follow.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 11, 2013
Toyotas are good for Nigeria roads.the only thing that surpass toyota is a molue or a trailer.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Bishop4bella(m): 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
Most time their cars are portable, flashy and to talk of wiring system, they make use earth return system. To talk abt d parts, they are easy to buy though it mayb very expansive.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nightshift(m): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
Nigerians do not know much about automobile, neither do Nigeria have a driving culture. There aren't good roads for great vehicles in Nigeria . Anything on four wheels goes, that's Nigerian's love for Japanese buckets....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by naijaobi(m): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
@OP...how did u know Nigerians think japanese cars are better... Did u conduct any poll??
Cos most people i know don't rank japanese cars ahead of others.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 11, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
Why? because they are cheaper than European cars in terms of cost of vehicle and maintenance.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 11, 2013
@OP, the reason is because people choose to take their mechanic's advice on cars. you see a mechanic who doesn't even read news nor browse the internet, he will be advising people on what car to buy. SMH.
also nigerians like cars they will handle like a village-wife. i.e cars that they won't bother to spend money to maintain, just buy and drive until the car refuses to move like an angry cow.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by AjanleKoko: 12:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
Well . . . to a large extent, the Japanese auto industry has a strong supply line to Nigeria. Auto repair skills, car parts availability, economy of use . . . easy to figure out.

I'm not sure, but I think the Japanese were prolly the first to enter this market wholesale, right after independence. It figures . . . just like Chinese today in everything else, at that time they would have been looking for a growing market that needed cheap automobiles. Popular dealerships in the 70s include LBT and Lister Motors (Arisekola), and later Elizade, Mandilas, and RT Briscoe. Those dealerships promoted Toyota, Subaru, Nissan/Datsun, and to a lesser extent Honda.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by anelka101(m): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
@OP, do you know you can be sue for this? how do u mean german,eauropen, etc,are not good cars? are u an agent? if no,why are you de-marketing other countrys car?
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by ektbear: 12:52pm On Jan 11, 2013
I like Japanese cars because they are:

1) Reliable
2) Inexpensive

European cars tend to be expensive.

American cars tend to be unreliable.

Korean cars...so Hyundai and Kia? I have no beef with them, but feel more comfortable with Honda and Toyota.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
@OP why do you think Americans of all people buy Japanese wink
1: Fuel Economy
2: Affordable (common) Parts
3: Price
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by AfroBlue(m): 12:59pm On Jan 11, 2013
automaticcars: Why do Nigerians think Japanese vehicles are better than Europeans, Koreans, Americans and German vehicles? The world is changing everyday and technology is swiftly changing the way vehicles opereate. There are parts available for most vehicles in Nigeria. I have been watching and asking myself why Nigerians don't patronize other vehicle brands except Japanese brands. In the last seven years, there have been recalls after recalls of all Japanese brands on monthly bases. Has anyone ever heard where German, Korean, or any other european vehicles being recalled for major flaw like the toyotas, hondas, nissan, and co? What is the problem with Nigerians when making car choices? Imagine someone who has never bought or used a car before in his life telling me how bad European vehicles are. I asked him how did he know European vehicles are bad? He told me he heard it from people before.

One word.

Kaizen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

Kaizen (改善?), Japanese for "improvement", or "change for the better" refers to philosophy or practices that focus upon continuous improvement of processes in manufacturing, engineering, and business management. It has been applied in healthcare,[1] psychotherapy,[2] life-coaching, government, banking, and other industries. When used in the business sense and applied to the workplace, kaizen refers to activities that continually improve all functions, and involves all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. It also applies to processes, such as purchasing and logistics, that cross organizational boundaries into the supply chain.[3] By improving standardized activities and processes, kaizen aims to eliminate waste (see lean manufacturing). Kaizen was first implemented in several Japanese businesses after the Second World War, influenced in part by American business and quality management teachers who visited the country. It has since spread throughout the world[4] and is now being implemented in many other venues besides just business and productivity.

History

After WWII, to help restore Japan, American occupation forces brought in American experts to help with the rebuilding of Japanese industry while The Civil Communications Section (CCS) developed a Management Training Program that taught statistical control methods as part of the overall material. This course was developed and taught by Homer Sarasohn and Charles Protzman in 1949-50. Sarasohn recommended W. Edwards Deming for further training in Statistical Methods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 11, 2013
Japanese wa ichiban da yo! For reliability and sugoi for economy.

But I roll in German cool
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by poshest(f): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2013
And why shld it appear twice on the front page undecided
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
japanese cars are more economical,cheaper and also cheaper maintenance while other european cars are mostly premium cars e.g range rover,mercedez,aston martin,chevrolet,lincoln,etc. Only the rich can afford these brands and maintain and service them.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by SamConquer(m): 1:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
TORINO:what do u think??LORD JAGARA:Think what??Am i japanese car mate..i deal on bugati.,porsche,humer 6.,chrysler,ferari...TORINO:Is ok sir..pls dnt b anoyed.i 4got...LORD JAGARA:Bera
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by bibelo: 1:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
In a country where fuel pump price is increased like changing diapers as well as the fraud of fuel attendants and hanky panky games of fuel marketers,Japanese cars are your best bet cause they consume less fuel and the parts are cheap and readily available. Most auto technicians are more knowledgeable about fixing japanese cars.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by Nightshift(m): 1:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
A car sticker in German says " I piss on Japanese vehicles anytime i see 'em". Isn't it beautiful to piss on Toyota, Honda, Nissan , Mazda , Mitsubishi ? Hilarious !!
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by eaglechild: 1:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
Nigerians choose Japanese cars because they are generally cheaper and easier to maintain.
However, over time the Japanese car industry has continuously improved.
If you visit any car ranking site, u'll see that the japs get very good reviews and often top the category.
When it comes to reliabilty and running costs the japs do well, and for Nigeria these 2 parameters are very important.
European cars tend to be better in ride quality and so will often take the cake in the luxury category.
Japanese cars also have different specs for the various countries they import to.
An American spec jap has an arguably similar build quality with the European brands.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by ocelot2006(m): 1:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
As someone already pointed out, the main reasons are fuel economy and availability of spare parts. That said, I think Nigerians, including myself,are beginning to embrace other brands, particularly Korean vehicles like KIA and the Hyundai. But I have to admit that my KIA Cerato's fuel consumption is quite high compared to the Toyota vehicles i've driven.
Re: Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome by chromoTop: 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
japanese cars are not ony respected in Nigeria alone but everywhere in the world. I was part of a study group of the Honda cars, and this is one conclusion we came to;
it is very easy to maintain, even a layman can manage out,
cost of ownership ( from purchase, maintenance and scrapping cost) is really low

adaptability! from the coldest Scandinavia to the warmest Ghana it copes very easily.

And like someone said, its spare parts are standardised. All models share some standard parts except for a few complicated other parts.

and very reliable!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Toyota Corolla Really The Best / Pro And Con Of Golf 4 Please Advice With Your Experience !!! / Danfo Conductors: 4 Tips On How To Avoid Trouble With Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.