Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,369 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:33 PM

Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please (1377 Views)

The Tinapa Project Is So Stupid. / Pls Cost Of Lodging At Obudu Ranch/tinapa / Pictures Of the Comissioning Of Tinapa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 9:06am On Feb 28, 2008
Have u guys checked the tinapa website of late www.tinapa.com , the website has been deactivated and a contact number was displayed there , i called this number to get some informations , but the number is not connecting , i even sent a fax to the fax number displayed till now no response from them.

I thought Tinapa is a Giant progress that is meant to attract foreign investors , does anyone knows what is happening at Tinapa now?

I work for a tour operator here in the seychelles , and am trying to sell Tinapa product to some clients but i cant get any informations about the place .

Does anyone knows whats happening at Tinapa now please.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by VOR(m): 9:59am On Feb 28, 2008
Nothing by the sounds of it.

Another white elephant perhaps? angry angry angry
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 10:45am On Feb 28, 2008
It will be too bad if this is just another white elephant oooooo ,

I guess Babasin was right with his earlier post on the tinapa forum , I dont know what information /product to sell to my clients here.

But will appreciate if anyone could tell whats going on at Tinapa now
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 7:12pm On Mar 04, 2008
can anyone help with Tinapa info please
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by PapaBrowne(m): 1:35am On Mar 05, 2008
Not exactly another white elephant.The problem is some folks just don't want others to progress.The state Government hasn't been able to get approval from the federal govt to allow Tinapa operate as a duty free zone.The project was built on that premise with full support from Obasanjo's govt. Now,new govt and no support!!
Custom officials have prevented the place from operating.
I hope the whole quagmire would be resolved soonest.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by almondjoy(f): 2:48am On Mar 05, 2008
Like anything in Nigeria no maintenance culture.  Everyone dreams and dreams alone.  We have not learned to "think, work, share, and solve" problems together.  That was "the Donald's" project.  Never to be revisited by anyother governor.  A white elephant project indeed.  After the "Duke" don chop the money run comot!

The place was being manned by contracted staff.  No money in this year's fiscal allocations for Tinapa.  Thank God.  Let them use the money to build schools, roads and hospitals instead, if they have brains.  You can not encourage tourism in a slum when you do not have roads to get there.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 5:53am On Mar 05, 2008
I thought Tinapa was not a government project , Donald / Obasanjo knew they will leave the office before Tinapa completion .
It will be very sad and a big disgrace to Nigerians if this Tinapa project is being abandoned oooooo.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by Arnold1(m): 5:59am On Mar 05, 2008
PapaBrowne:

Not exactly another white elephant.The problem is some folks just don't want others to progress.The state Government hasn't been able to get approval from the federal govt to allow Tinapa operate as a duty free zone.The project was built on that premise with full support from Obasanjo's govt. Now,new govt and no support!!
Custom officials have prevented the place from operating.
I hope the whole quagmire would be resolved soonest.

But do you think Gov Liyel Imoke is pushing the fed govt hard enough on this issue ? I think Imoke is not taking the project
seriously because it was started by his predecessor.

Article on Tinapa:

Nigeria's Tinapa:new Dubai or white elephant
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 6:31am On Mar 05, 2008
Is Tinapa a goverment funded project? or private investors?
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by PapaBrowne(m): 9:02am On Mar 05, 2008
@Arnold1
I really don't think Gov Imoke is taking it seriously enough.But thats a huge shame considering the benefits that marvellous project would bring to Cross River state.You know, Duke was just so good at what he was doing that finding a replacement wouldn't have been easy.

@Darkroll
Tinapa is a Public private partnership.Much of the funds came from the private sector. But for Tinapa to work, it has to be duty free.Thats federal govt responsibility.

@Almondjoy.
You can't use private investors funds to build schools, hospitals and roads- at least not in Nigeria.Besides, creating job opportunities and a viable economy is to me as important or even more than building schools, hospitals and roads.Becuase without money flowing in, you can't maintain the schools & hospitals.
So thats what Tinapa was about- bringing in money through tourism,creating jobs and just general economic growth.

I hope it still works ou though
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by darkroll(m): 5:08pm On Mar 05, 2008
from the look of things , it seems there was no law pass as to declare Tinapa as a free trade zone . It will be a big disgrace for Nigerian if Tinapa project is abadoned ooooo.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by ogb5(m): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2008
Tinapa project is falling into a class of failed or frustrated projects. The signs are clear and is a common sign.

In 1980, Lateef Jakunde, former Governor of Lagos state, thought he had a great idea, he planned to build metroline in Lagos, The federal government under Shehu Shagari kicked against it. Jakunde was not asking for Federal fund for the project, just permission. The project was frustrated by the Federal Government. Today 28yrs after, the only metroline we have in Nigeria, a country of 140 million people, is Okada. Killing and Maiming thousands each year.

During Tinubu's first tenure as Governor of Lagos, I thought he had a great idea, he wanted to build Independent power plant for Lagos state in partnership with Enron. The federal Government, under Obansanjo, will have non of it. they kick against it and frustrated it on all fronts. Today Lagos state still pays the Federal government before it can distribute the power it produces from the IPP. Other governors got the message. they only started IPP projects to get a conduit to steal money. Today we still produce only 3,000 of the 30,000 MW of electricity we need.

Donald Duke of Cross River state thought he had a great idea, what about creating a trading hub in West Africa, accessible to Africans, Europeans and Americans, it sounded nice, so Tinapa was built and commissioned. But there is one problem, to be a trading hub it has to be Tax free, else people will not make profit coming there. The federal government does not think it is a nice idea to have a trading hub close by. Certainly it is better to go to Dubai. If you think otherwise ask Yaradua, he might be able to convince you why we should forget the fund spent on Tinapa and allow it to rot instead of making it Tax free.

The logic is simple, for the country to develop, The federal government must retard the development of some parts of the country until those that are sleeping can wake up.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by gregg2: 4:36pm On Mar 09, 2008
Tribal conspiracy is killing Tinapa. Shame on the Federal govt.
Shame on Yar'adua.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by VOR(m): 1:42am On Mar 10, 2008
ogb5,

Good perspective.

However, I would like to point out one historical inaccuracy.
The Lagos State metroline project as I remember it was not
frustrated by Shagari and his govt. During Shagari's govt the
Lagos state govt had signed all contracts for the project and it was
close to going ahead.

We then had the Buhari/Idiagbon coup of 1983(?) and it was this govt
which effectively pulled the plug on the project leaving the Lagos State
govt with a massive bill for breach of contract with the contractors.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by ogb5(m): 8:47pm On Mar 11, 2008
VOR:

ogb5,

Good perspective.

However, I would like to point out one historical inaccuracy.
The Lagos State metroline project as I remember it was not
frustrated by Shagari and his govt. During Shagari's govt the
Lagos state govt had signed all contracts for the project and it was
close to going ahead.

We then had the Buhari/Idiagbon coup of 1983(?) and it was this govt
which effectively pulled the plug on the project leaving the Lagos State
govt with a massive bill for breach of contract with the contractors.

Thanks for the correction. It is really frustrating to note that the federal govt over the years can not show leadership.
Both military and civilian administrations are always giving the impression that development can not be achieved by all the regions without pulling others down.

Nigeria made about 50billion usd last year, if divided among the 140million population, each person will get 98 us cent per day ( that's less than 1 dollar a day) yet every one is fighting in Nigeria over oil money. I really can't understand it. I believe money can be made in all regions of Nigeria without much trouble, what is required is leadership.
Re: Does Anyone Knows Whats Happening At Tinapa Please by almondjoy(f): 1:29pm On Mar 12, 2008
PapaBrowne:

@Arnold1
I really don't think Gov Imoke is taking it seriously enough.But thats a huge shame considering the benefits that marvellous project would bring to Cross River state.You know, Duke was just so good at what he was doing that finding a replacement wouldn't have been easy.

@Darkroll
Tinapa is a Public private partnership.Much of the funds came from the private sector. But for Tinapa to work, it has to be duty free.Thats federal govt responsibility.

@Almondjoy.
You can't use private investors funds to build schools, hospitals and roads- at least not in Nigeria.Besides, creating job opportunities and a viable economy is to me as important or even more than building schools, hospitals and roads.Becuase without money flowing in, you can't maintain the schools & hospitals.
So thats what Tinapa was about- bringing in money through tourism,creating jobs and just general economic growth.

I hope it still works ou though

If you say so.  I beg to differ.  You cannot bring in money when you have no safety, basic social amenities or transportation networks around your tourist centers.  If the people fall sick in Tinapa. . .you will fly them abroad for complications from Malaria abi?  Creating jobs for the barely literate population? How? If you say so I say.

ogb5:

Tinapa project is falling into a class of failed or frustrated projects. The signs are clear and is a common sign.

In 1980, Lateef Jakunde, former Governor of Lagos state, thought he had a great idea, he planned to build metroline in Lagos, The federal government under Shehu Shagari kicked against it. Jakunde was not asking for Federal fund for the project, just permission. The project was frustrated by the Federal Government. Today 28yrs after, the only metroline we have in Nigeria, a country of 140 million people, is Okada. Killing and Maiming thousands each year.

During Tinubu's first tenure as Governor of Lagos, I thought he had a great idea, he wanted to build Independent power plant for Lagos state in partnership with Enron. The federal Government, under Obansanjo, will have non of it. they kick against it and frustrated it on all fronts. Today Lagos state still pays the Federal government before it can distribute the power it produces from the IPP. Other governors got the message. they only started IPP projects to get a conduit to steal money. Today we still produce only 3,000 of the 30,000 MW of electricity we need.

Donald Duke of Cross River state thought he had a great idea, what about creating a trading hub in West Africa, accessible to Africans, Europeans and Americans, it sounded nice, so Tinapa was built and commissioned. But there is one problem, a trto be a trading hub it has to be Tax free, else people will not make profit coming there. The federal government does not think it is a nice idea to have ading hub close by. Certainly it is better to go to Dubai. If you think otherwise ask Yaradua, he might be able to convince you why we should forget the fund spent on Tinapa and allow it to rot instead of making it Tax free.

The logic is simple, for the country to develop, The federal government must retard the development of some parts of the country until those that are sleeping can wake up.

Now this is the more complicated version of the signs of a "true white" elephant project.  The powers that be will keep crippling Nigeria as a whole I say out of petty envy and cheap tribal sentiments. . . .till we learn to dream together and work together.  Talk about riding bicycles in dreams and building castles in the air!  Not yet UHURU I say! kiss  What a sick concept of "economic growth and development".  Talk about cuttin' of your nose to spite your eyes! undecided  No plan, no maintainance, no foresight, no committment to success, no accountablity, no rewards, no sponsors, no partneship, no pride in unity. . . . . no respect for anything worth doing well.  Not good signs of which any successful projects can come out of.  We can only deceive ourselves for so long.  The truths are so glaring.  It is all a sad dream.

(1) (Reply)

Canada,uk,sweden,turkey Student And Visiting Visas. / I"m In Need Of A Canadian Immigrant Visa. Please Help! / 2012 Diversity Lottery Results Have Been Voided

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.