Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,182 members, 7,880,686 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? (15531 Views)

Photos: If This Will Curb Corruption, Who Do You Want In The Box Next? / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / GEJ Wants Direct Access To Govt Funds Blocked To Curb Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
Some mischief makers and propagandists have been telling us the SUPER STORY that corruption in Nigeria has reached a 'monumental' proportion in recent years. I call it SUPER STORY because we've witnessed this over and over again since independence. The SUPER STORY of "monumental corruption" has always been a tool for those in the BUSINESS of govt bashing and an excuse for those determined to bring down govt at ALL COST or coupists.

Two examples to buttress my point:

1) Nzeogwu (and his gang) told this same SUPER STORY (as reason for seeking political power) in his 1966 coup speech, partly reproduced below ( Note: the word corruption was repeated several times):

..."In the name of the Supreme Council of the Revolution of the Nigerian Armed Forces, I declare martial law over the Northern Provinces of Nigeria....The aim of the Revolutionary Council is to establish a strong united and prosperous nation, free from corruption and internal strife....You are hereby warned that looting, arson, homosexuality, molestation, embezzlement, bribery or corruption, obstruction of the revolution, sabotage, subversion, false alarms and assistance to foreign invaders, are all offences punishable by death sentence....Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society"....Major Nzeogwu's Speech announcing Nigeria's first coup (circa noon, January 15, 1966, Radio Kaduna)

2) Buhari (and his gang) told his own SUPER STORY when they struck in 1983, as partly reproduced below:

...In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria....The last general election was anything but free and fair. The only political parties that could complain of election rigging are those parties that lacked the resources to rig. There is ample evidence that rigging and thuggery were relative to the resources available to the parties....While corruption and indiscipline have been associated with our state of under-development, these two evils in our body politics have attained unprecedented height in the past few years. The corrupt, inept and insensitive leadership in the last four years has been the source of immorality and impropriety in our society....BUHARI’S FIRST SPEECH AFTER THE MILITARY COUP OF 31ST DECEMBER 1983.

With benefit of hindsight, it is OBVIOUS that these interventions, despite the beautifully crafted SUPER STORIES, ended in DISASTER. The Nzeogwu and co intervention pushed the country into a civil war while the Buhari intervention lead the country into another 16yrs of WANDERING IN THE WILDERNESS under military dictatorship.

Consequently, every fair minded person would agree that the solution to corruption does not lie in the hands of mischief makers or hypocrites who scream about "monumental corruption" with an eye on grabbing political power.

Also corruption in Nigeria cannot be curbed by one man in Abuja or what some persons call "political will"

My suggestions for curbing corruption in Nigeria are as follows:

1) Consistent free and fair elections. Political leadership that are truely elected by the people at all levels will be most likely less corrupt.

2) Re-structuring of the country. Power to harness both human and material resources should revert back to the states. When the sharing of resources is reduced at Abuja, corruption at Abuja will also reduce.

3) Open up as much sectors as possible for private sector participation. The private sector is not as corrupt as the public sector

4) Leverage on technology to minimise corruption in certain sectors. By doing certain things electronically and minimising human involvement, corruption will be minimised. A perfect example is the use of mobile phones to distribute subsidized fertilizers

5) Vibrant media: the media must step up its game and investigate and report, with an open mind, every area of our national life.

6) Citizens participation in governance. EVERY citizen must play his or her role in the fight against corruption. Whether by voting out a corrupt or bad govt, insisting that the right thing is done wherever we find ourselves, or by protesting or occupying when necessary.

Share with us how you think corruption can be curbed in Nigeria

12 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by oilyngbati1: 6:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
Simple disintegration will curb corruption

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
oily+Yoruba:
Simple disintegration will curb corruption
I dont think that will curb corruption, rather it will localise corruption

3 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by oilyngbati1: 6:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I dont think that will curb corruption, rather it will localise corruption
Then so be it. If those 'locals' cannot deal with their 'local thieves' too bad for them. Presently, we have 'national thieves' who are all protected in abuja. We simply cannot continue doing thesame thing over a hundred years and be expecting a different result...?

4 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by takedat(m): 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
Doing away with this rapacious and treasury looting government that befriend fraudsters, bandits and ex-cons will curb corruption! grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
oily+Yoruba:
Then so be it. If those 'locals' cannot deal with their 'local thieves' too bad for them. Presently, we have 'national thieves' who are all protected in abuja. We simply cannot continue doing thesame thing over a hundred years and be expecting a different result...?
We can still localise corruption without disintegration
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by vanstanzy(m): 6:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
Elect me as Nigerias next GCFR and get ur answer or Ask Google!!! grin grin grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Sibrah: 7:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
The satellite pictures!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by vanstanzy(m): 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Some mischief makers and propagandists have been telling us the SUPER STORY that corruption in Nigeria has reached a 'monumental' proportion in recent years. I call it SUPER STORY because we had witnessed this over and over again since independence. The SUPER STORY of "monumental corruption" has always been a ready-tool for those in the business of govt bashing and an excuse for those determined to bring down govt at ALL COST or coupists.

1) Nzeogwu (and his gang) told this same SUPER STORY (as reason for seeking political power) in his 1966 coup speech, partly reproduced below ( Note: the word corruption was repeated several times):

..."In the name of the Supreme Council of the Revolution of the Nigerian Armed Forces, I declare martial law over the Northern Provinces of Nigeria....The aim of the Revolutionary Council is to establish a strong united and prosperous nation, free from corruption and internal strife....You are hereby warned that looting, arson, homosexuality, molestation, embezzlement, bribery or corruption, obstruction of the revolution, sabotage, subversion, false alarms and assistance to foreign invaders, are all offences punishable by death sentence....Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society"....Major Nzeogwu's Speech announcing Nigeria's first coup (circa noon, January 15, 1966, Radio Kaduna)

2) Buhari (and his gang) told his own SUPER STORY when they struck in 1983, as partly reproduced below:

...In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria....The last general election was anything but free and fair. The only political parties that could complain of election rigging are those parties that lacked the resources to rig. There is ample evidence that rigging and thuggery were relative to the resources available to the parties....While corruption and indiscipline have been associated with our state of under-development, these two evils in our body politics have attained unprecedented height in the past few years. The corrupt, inept and insensitive leadership in the last four years has been the source of immorality and impropriety in our society....BUHARI’S FIRST SPEECH AFTER THE MILITARY COUP OF 31ST DECEMBER 1983.

With benefit of hindsight, it is OBVIOUS that these interventions, despite the beautifully crafted SUPER STORIES, ended in DISASTER. The Nzeogwu and co intervention pushed the country into a civil war while the Buhari intervention lead the country into another 16yrs of WANDERING IN THE WILDERNESS under military dictatorship.

Consequently, every fair minded person would agree that the solution to corruption does not lie in the hands of mischief makers or hypocrites who scream about "monumental corruption" with an eye on grabbing political power.

Also corruption in Nigeria cannot be curbed by one man in Abuja or what some persons call "political will"

1) Consistent free and fair elections. Political leadership that are truely elected by the people at all levels will be most likely less corrupt.

2) Re-structuring of the country. Power to harness both human and material resources should revert back to the states. When the sharing of resources is reduced at Abuja, corruption at Abuja will also reduce.

3) Open up as much sectors as possible for private sector participation. The private sector is not as corrupt as the public sector

4) Leverage on technology to minimise corruption in certain sectors. By doing certain things electronically and minimising human involvement, corruption will be minimised. A perfect example is the use of mobile phones to distribute subsidized fertilizers

5) Vibrant media: the media must step up its game and investigate and report, with an open mind, every area of our national.

6) Citizens participation in governance. EVERY citizen must play his or her role in the fight against corruption. Whether by voting out a corrupt or bad govt, insisting that the right thing is done wherever we find ourselves, or by protesting or occupying when necessary.

If i give u the answer, whats in it for me? Consultation fee?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by mmmustapha(m): 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities

5 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Dygeasy(m): 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
mmmustapha: Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities
dem dey write 'corrupt' for head??

Kill bankers? Civil servants? You're sick ahsweariGawd!

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
In India, after the riots, they now have 'fast track' courts that handle rape cases. The fast track courts by definition, must hold everyday until the judgement has been served. We should do same for corruption cases in Nigeria.

Also, EFCC should begin investigating Judges. We all know that there is major corruption in the judiciary...do you not think it is odd that no single judge has ever been tried in court?

Finally, there should be minimum mandatory sentences for corruption. This means that once you are found guilty, regardless of any plea bargain, there is a minimum time you mist spend in prison. I recommend a minimum of fifteen years without possibility of parole.

If I was president, on first week in office I would lay foundation for a huge 1000 inmate prison complex in Abuja, strictly for corrupt government officials. That will serve as notice to them all, that it's no longer business a usual.

11 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
The man responsible for corruption is very near to you, look at the nearest mirror and you will see his face.
Now talk to him, advice him, beg him or even force him to change, when he changes corruption will cease to exist.

9 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by 50calibre(m): 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
There is just one thing that can curb corruption in Nigeria as it is right now, and that is draconian laws.

When I rise to power someday, I'm going to implement set of anti corruption laws such as death penalty for theft of above 500,000 Nara and 25 years for theft below, completely re-write the constitution, giving myself absolute power, strong human right laws for the common man ( politicians would be exempted from these laws), one 10 year term for presidency, more effective and efficient judiciary that dishes out justice fast, massive reduction in politician's salaries so that politics is no longer a do or die affair, reduce the amount of foreign interest in Nigeria and lastly repeal democracy.

Who is on my team?

5 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by obicentlis: 7:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
A sincere and honest Leader with strengthen judiciary can do it. But the charlatans around are for their pocket.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
50calibre: There is just one thing that can curb corruption in Nigeria as it is right now, and that is draconian laws.

When I rise to power someday, I'm going to implement set of anti corruption laws such as death penalty for theft of above 500,000 Nara and 25 years for theft below, completely re-write the constitution, giving myself absolute power, strong human right laws for the common man ( politicians would be exempted from these laws), one 10 year term for presidency, more effective and efficient judiciary that dishes out justice fast, massive reduction in politician's salaries so that politics is no longer a do or die affair, reduce the amount of foreign interest in Nigeria and lastly repeal democracy.

Who is on my team?

I no follow o!grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Pacesetter2: 7:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
mmmustapha: Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities
And if that is done nko...you will ascend the throne & see billions of naira & wont think of stealing it EXPECT you have a 100% conscience that is ALIVE...

The only key to corruption is
1. Purge ourselves...
2. Provide social amenities & employment to at least 80% of the jobless youth...this will reduce poverty & make everyone depend on his hands
3. The seat of power should be seen as where you go to give & not take

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by NeuroBoss(m): 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
[b][/b]For corruption in political post: Make political post less lucrative
For corruption among civil servants: More government incentives and outright dismissmal and jail term with no fine option.
And most importantly, let all Nigerians stand up against corruption as we did the oil subsidy removal (occupy nigeria) protests.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by executinal(m): 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Just kill IBB and OBJ. Corruption will reduce
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by FlyboyZee: 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
The penalty for Corruption should be STONING TO DEATH OF THE CORRUPT OFFICIAL BY ALL THOSE WHO WERE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY AFFECTED BY HIS/HER CORRUPT PRACTICES AND HIS/HER BODY DONATED TO THE NEAREST TEACHING HOSPITAL AS CARDAVER FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:11pm On Jan 15, 2013
princemolak: Make Death as a penalty To Corrupt Leaders http://efiweblog.info/2013/01/how-he-makes-money-online-from-bulk-sms-site-and-how-you-too-can.html

Who will sign the law? The corrupt leaders will sign to kill themselves? bros you are joking grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Pacesetter2: 7:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
executinal: Just kill IBB and OBJ. Corruption will reduce

To be candid...some of us are worse than OBJ & IBB

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
Nigeria is dying slowly but surely (and painfully too) eventually West Africa will see the largest refugee crisis as we simply go mad and start eating each other due to extreme poverty and Dog-Eat-Dog situation. only then will corruption die
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2013
NeuroBoss: [b][/b]For corruption in political post: Make political post less lucrative
For corruption among civil servants: More government incentives and outright dismissmal and jail term with no fine option.
And most importantly, let all Nigerians stand up against corruption as we did the oil subsidy removal (occupy nigeria) protests.

Who will make the political office less lucrative? The senators that gets the loot?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Some mischief makers and propagandists have been telling us the SUPER STORY that corruption in Nigeria has reached a 'monumental' proportion in recent years. I call it SUPER STORY because we had witnessed this over and over again since independence. The SUPER STORY of "monumental corruption" has always been a ready-tool for those in the business of govt bashing and an excuse for those determined to bring down govt at ALL COST or coupists.

5) Vibrant media: the media must step up its game and investigate and report, with an open mind, every area of our national.

telling your master to stop playing to the gallery while enthroning dubious people
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by HAH: 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2013
What we need is a people oriented benevolent dictator, someone with the qualities of General Moh Buhari to be our president, then corruption will be reduced to minimum

Sadly Buhari himself is now too old to be president so what we need is someone with his atribute, christian,muslim, northerner or southerner I don't care.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:15pm On Jan 15, 2013
executinal: Just kill IBB and OBJ. Corruption will reduce

There are more than 150 million little IBB and OBJ's. Can you kill all of them also?

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by tellwisdom: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
Op, na bros Joe send you come?? sadsad
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
Do you all see what is happening in pakistan at the moment? A moslem cleric has rallied thousands to the capital city to protest corruption. The prime minister has been arrested and is to be charged to court due to pressure. Religious organizations are always very good avenues to fight for social change. The leaders are difficult for government to target, and they can serve as a rallying point. In Nigeria, the religious leaders are pally pally with the corrupt leaders. I no call anybody name,oh. But we know who they are. When the clergy is corrupt, the nation is finished.

4 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
By making all politicians,and head of institution swear before Ogun(god of thunder) never to be corrupt. Seems God almighty is slow in delivering judgment om them.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by ZACHIE: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
nothing

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Will See How Popular President Buhari Is In 2019 - Danu / Nigerians May Wake One Day To Realize That They Have No Country - Atiku Says / Buhari Meets Council Of Traditional Rulers Ahead Of Campaign Rally In Zamfara(pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.