Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,742 members, 7,935,211 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 01:10 AM

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? (15586 Views)

Photos: If This Will Curb Corruption, Who Do You Want In The Box Next? / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / GEJ Wants Direct Access To Govt Funds Blocked To Curb Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09am On Jan 16, 2013
50calibre: There is just one thing that can curb corruption in Nigeria as it is right now, and that is draconian laws.

When I rise to power someday, I'm going to implement set of anti corruption laws such as death penalty for theft of above 500,000 Nara and 25 years for theft below, completely re-write the constitution, giving myself absolute power, strong human right laws for the common man ( politicians would be exempted from these laws), one 10 year term for presidency, more effective and efficient judiciary that dishes out justice fast, massive reduction in politician's salaries so that politics is no longer a do or die affair, reduce the amount of foreign interest in Nigeria and lastly repeal democracy.

Who is on my team?
Please, go and practice your shiit in Arab land not in Nigeria!
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by trillville(m): 1:20am On Jan 16, 2013
Our dependance on oil has led us to this situation We are in today. Nigerians do not really feel cheated by Government when they steal our collective wealth because majority of us do not actually feel like we own the oil. After all, we did not work to put it there. It is simple a natural gift from God. I believe that if not for environmental degradation, mend would never have existed. All this talk by the SS about resource control, would have never occurred.

I believe that for Nigeria to curb corruption, we would have to change our system of managing our economy and rely more on taxes then oil for our sustenance. We would have to make laws to restrict the use of income from oil sales on any expenditure asides for capital projects and savings. We can not be paying salaries of civil servants and other government officials who actually produce zero kobo into the economy yet consume our collective oil wealth.
If we all start paying higher taxes, no one will tell us to come out and protest when the president's wife travels to Germany for treatment the rest of us can not afford. No one will tell us to protest over the non imprisonment of otedola and Farouk after the debacle we all witnessed on TV. We need to feel like we pay government for services and so government needs to perform it's duties towards us.

Whether we kill all the bad politicians or not will only change things for a short while. Even Ghana has started experiencing corruption again. We just need to follow the template on how the developed world is being run and Nigeria will definitely be fine. Though It may take time to achieve, we must remember that Rome was not built in one day.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by kabukabu50(m): 2:12am On Jan 16, 2013
Stop corruption in naija...LMAOOOOOO..not gonna happen ..buddy.

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Bokoharam: 2:30am On Jan 16, 2013
ypzilanti: Do you all see what is happening in pakistan at the moment? A moslem cleric has rallied thousands to the capital city to protest corruption. The prime minister has been arrested and is to be charged to court due to pressure. Religious organizations are always very good avenues to fight for social change. The leaders are difficult for government to target, and they can serve as a rallying point. In Nigeria, the religious leaders are pally pally with the corrupt leaders. I no call anybody name,oh. But we know who they are. When the clergy is corrupt, the nation is finished.

Best post! Tnk u

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by ikachi1: 2:59am On Jan 16, 2013
Remove immunity for the governors and their deputies, make the Judiciary independent, make curruption of over 1 million Naira a capital offense. Any one found to have corruptly enriched himself either directly or through cronies of up to 500000 Naira should be jailed for 20 years. Remove perpetual injunction in curruption cases and above all, asset declaration should be made public before and after office. Introduce property tax and enforce tax rules.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by tyson55(m): 3:18am On Jan 16, 2013
[history] - 'PDP is a collection of former soldiers, gun-runners, contractors, certificate forgers, unemployed persons all united by a common goal: access to a share of Nigeria’s oil wealth" Reuben Abati in 2008.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by jadakiss213(m): 5:31am On Jan 16, 2013
tyson55: [history] - 'PDP is a collection of former soldiers, gun-runners, contractors, certificate forgers, unemployed persons all united by a common goal: access to a share of Nigeria’s oil wealth" Reuben Abati in 2008.
could u share a link to this?? thanks

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 16, 2013
Poster, you did well with this topic.

First, for Nigeria to be savaged from corruption, we need a restructuring of our system of government to give room for fast development and checkmating of governance in Nigeria, how?

Our present system of government can't work in Nigeria. We need a regional system of government with 6 independent zones, each having their own regional minister to be in charge, and then out of the 6 regional ministers, will be elected a prime minister to handle the national affairs for 2 years, and it keeps rotating amongst the regional ministers.

Each region will handle and control their resources, and return 30% to the central government for national development. And each region will be in control of their education, industrialization, etc based on a central national system. But the central national government will be in charge of security with regional security system for best performance. This means, the regional ministers to be elected democratically by the people in their regions (using the already existing 6 geopolitical zone structure)

This is to ensure development competition amongst regions, so each region will have to look for a way to harness the resources in their region to generate fund that relying on certain regions to get national allocation.

Again, our national assembly members (senate and reps) should be on part-time. They will be paid per sitting. When they sit, they get sitting allowance and not be placed on permanent salary and allowances.

This will make our senators and reps to be active in checkmating the national government, and making laws that favour the masses and not the few.

It will also make senate and rep unfavourable, so people will stop entering into politics to make money as if its a career.

This system will reduce power in most government positions, and also make it less attractive so that those in power can then concentrate on national development.

And lastly, our new national and state assemblies will be made up of:

1. Traditional rulers
2. Religious leaders
3. Youth representatives
3. And any other vital group for fairness and transparency.

BRB...nice topic discussion and great contributions so far.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by adieora(f): 6:54am On Jan 16, 2013
Death sentence a penalty for corruption.Sentence just two of the top corrupt officials and fear go handle the rest.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Watermelon(m): 7:17am On Jan 16, 2013
mmmustapha: Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities

that means 98% of Nigerians will be killed. Both leaders and the people being led are corrupt
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by 7thCANON: 7:25am On Jan 16, 2013
The average Nigerian has a strong impulse to be corrupt. In our universities where most people had been in one association or or other, how did they manage the departmental, faculty, SUG etc dues. The civil servant who easily accuses government of not working probably go to work by nine. Most secondary school students prefer microchips to reading. The average person wants to join politics because he'll make money. In virtually all facets of the Nigerian polity corruption reigns. I sincerely believe that the way forward is to start from the grassroot. It will be easier to jail all the local government chairmen in a state who do virtually nothing than to jail the governor and the effect will reveberate. Afterall, if local governments are sanitized, the state will follow suit. A hundred Nuhu Ribadus may not do the work, the work is for all well meaning Nigerians

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 7:27am On Jan 16, 2013
Its very simple.

Checks and balances.
By ensuring gòvernment agency like the EFCC monitors all monetary and finance relcontracts,expenditure,pay-outs,Expenses,budgets etc from the first day the cheque is signed and approved to the very last day the project is completed and executed.

EFCC should monitor every little spending and bring tO fore any expenditure which has been carried out-in an ultra-vire manner i.e not according to what has been earmarked for such projects.

This is the check and balance being operated by The United States.

EFCC shòuld be aware of any Government spending nô matter how small it may seem,till the very last day the contract would be totally completed.

With this,any misappropriation would be easily detected and not when the government officials have embezzled the money !

EFCC should be aware of whose Govt Contract is expended upon,amount paid,date for execution completion and not to wait till the money had been embezzled before taking their 'James Bond' action.

If EFCC cannot do these things,then I think they have no rights chasing fraud perpetrators around when the evil deed had been done and already carried out.

This is the basics and if US does it,why not Nigeria,except EFCC officials are also parties to all the scams and frauds itself.

Otherwise why would they be eager to investigate scams that had already been perpetrated and not investigate scams from the very beginning before it gets blue and shady.

EFCC do your work !

Monitor all Govt.Payables from scratch and not from the end when the money gets stolen !
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by omanifrank(m): 7:55am On Jan 16, 2013
think positive
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by hyelhira: 8:00am On Jan 16, 2013
ypzilanti: In India, after the riots, they now have 'fast track' courts that handle rape cases. The fast track courts by definition, must hold everyday until the judgement has been served. We should do same for corruption cases in Nigeria.

Also, EFCC should begin investigating Judges. We all know that there is major corruption in the judiciary...do you not think it is odd that no single judge has ever been tried in court?

Finally, there should be minimum mandatory sentences for corruption. This means that once you are found guilty, regardless of any plea bargain, there is a minimum time you mist spend in prison. I recommend a minimum of fifteen years without possibility of parole.

If I was president, on first week in office I would lay foundation for a huge 1000 inmate prison complex in Abuja, strictly for corrupt government officials. That will serve as notice to them all, that it's no longer business a usual.

I agree with all but the prison should be in Monguno, Borno State...
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by nduchucks: 8:03am On Jan 16, 2013
We can start by replacing the most corrupt party and government in Nigeria's history, PDP and GEJ's government respectively, come 2015.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Prodigee: 8:05am On Jan 16, 2013
With the stage corruption has reached now, i think the Death Sentence would be a more punitive measure in curbing it.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 16, 2013
DailyNews: Poster, you did well with this topic.

First, for Nigeria to be savaged from corruption, we need a restructuring of our system of government to give room for fast development and checkmating of governance in Nigeria, how?

Our present system of government can't work in Nigeria. We need a regional system of government with 6 independent zones, each having their own regional minister to be in charge, and then out of the 6 regional ministers, will be elected a prime minister to handle the national affairs for 2 years, and it keeps rotating amongst the regional ministers.

Each region will handle and control their resources, and return 30% to the central government for national development. And each region will be in control of their education, industrialization, etc based on a central national system. But the central national government will be in charge of security with regional security system for best performance. This means, the regional ministers to be elected democratically by the people in their regions (using the already existing 6 geopolitical zone structure)

This is to ensure development competition amongst regions, so each region will have to look for a way to harness the resources in their region to generate fund that relying on certain regions to get national allocation.

Again, our national assembly members (senate and reps) should be on part-time. They will be paid per sitting. When they sit, they get sitting allowance and not be placed on permanent salary and allowances.

This will make our senators and reps to be active in checkmating the national government, and making laws that favour the masses and not the few.

It will also make senate and rep unfavourable, so people will stop entering into politics to make money as if its a career.

This system will reduce power in most government positions, and also make it less attractive so that those in power can then concentrate on national development.

And lastly, our new national and state assemblies will be made up of:

1. Traditional rulers
2. Religious leaders
3. Youth representatives
3. And any other vital group for fairness and transparency.

BRB...nice topic discussion and great contributions so far.
Your suggestion for a 6 geopolitical zonal arrangement is very good and similar to what Alex Ekwueme proposed during the Abacha constitutional reforms conference. However It will be easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for that to occur in a democratic dispensation. Only a military govt can make that happen thru a military fiat.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by surveyProf(m): 8:11am On Jan 16, 2013
Coruption can not be totally eradicated complectly in the Nigerian economy, but if we all join hands, I think it can be reduced drastically to the bearest level, I and some group of friends are coming out with a powerful site, for all corupted activities in Nigeria will be reported, n will be exposed via the internet, with prove and ofcourse, we will hv to stay annoymous!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Truckpusher(m): 8:20am On Jan 16, 2013
We need to change the entire constitution.
You don't go abt making rules and regulations and you expect people to obey them , but you make rules and regulations in such a way that people would be forced to obey them and those that wants to beat the system would have to do something extraordinary to beat it, our present constitution lacks these basic ingredients.....can anyone explain to me how a governor that stole his state blind could have the constitutional right to take a court injunction that will prevent the EFCC from prosecuting him even with all the evidence.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by surveyProf(m): 8:33am On Jan 16, 2013
Truckpusher: We need to change the entire constitution.
You don't go abt making rules and regulations and you expect people to obey them , but you make rules and regulations in such a way that people would be forced to obey them and those that wants to beat the system would have to do something extraordinary to beat it, our present constitution lacks these basic ingredients.....can anyone explain to me how a governor that stole his state blind could have the constitutional right to take a court injunction that will prevent the EFCC from prosecuting him even with all the evidence.

You're correct, the constitution has to be amended!
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Prodigee: 8:34am On Jan 16, 2013
surveyProf: Coruption can not be totally eradicated complectly in the Nigerian economy, but if we all join hands, I think it can be reduced drastically to the bearest level, I and some group of friends are coming out with a powerful site, for all corupted activities in Nigeria will be reported, n will be exposed via the internet, with prove and ofcourse, we will hv to stay annoymous!
Good luck on that!!
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by surveyProf(m): 8:41am On Jan 16, 2013
Prodigee: Good luck on that!!

Thank you, that is my own little way to contribute to the system!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by blackbeau1(f): 8:56am On Jan 16, 2013
The only thing that can be done to curb corruption is for everyone to change their mindset from 'I must chop the national cake' to what 'can I do for Nigeria'.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 9:03am On Jan 16, 2013
ndu_chucks: We can start by replacing the most corrupt party and government in Nigeria's history, PDP and GEJ's government respectively, come 2015.

...and how will this curb corruption in say schools, hospitals, airport?

Please prove your allegations by quoting your source .
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 9:09am On Jan 16, 2013
surveyProf: Coruption can not be totally eradicated complectly in the Nigerian economy, but if we all join hands, I think it can be reduced drastically to the bearest level, I and some group of friends are coming out with a powerful site, for all corupted activities in Nigeria will be reported, n will be exposed via the internet, with prove and ofcourse, we will hv to stay annoymous!

Best comment so far!

Exposing ANY corrupt individual will breed fear into the hearts of all including those still planning to go that way. It's a brilliant deterrent .
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by nduchucks: 9:11am On Jan 16, 2013
SELFWORTH:

...and how will this curb corruption in say schools, hospitals, airport?

Please prove your allegations by quoting your source .

Did you read the post you responded to, at all? I said, "We can start by replacing the most corrupt party and government in Nigeria's history, PDP and GEJ's government respectively, come 2015." It would be a very good start which if followed by responsible leadership will help curb corruption. What allegation am I supposed to prove, abi na schnapp you drink this morning instead of coffee or tea ni?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by jmaine: 9:14am On Jan 16, 2013
Simply start from yourself and the ripple effects across board will be massive

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by hussyhassy: 9:19am On Jan 16, 2013
Yomieluv: By making all politicians,and head of institution swear before Ogun(god of thunder) never to be corrupt. Seems God almighty is slow in delivering judgment om them.
so u dnt believe in d quran n bibble they are using to swear?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by kingingkinging: 9:21am On Jan 16, 2013
Reference:

See what I mean. We cannot even agree what corruption is and who is or is not corrupt. How then can you begin to tackle such a phantom. The average Nigerian defines corruption by the threshold of his or her moral standards and this varies from person to person. Every Nigerian thus has a break over point and consequently a pet corruption project he or her tacitly supports or patronises. We are just too hypocritical.

Once again I ask the question. Why is it that with 95% of our economy service driven we claim we donot have the facts of who does what dirty deals. Who processed Akingbola's cash transfers. Who handed Otedola the 600,000
dollars, who designed Orubebe's mansion, who served Otteh the N25,000 prawns, and on and on. Who? Ordinary, everyday folks, victims of the corruption they overtly or covertly abett.

Last year Labour was up in arms calling for the faceless fuel cabals they all know too well, pass them in the corridors everyday and assist in their product round tripping. Yet they live in denial, bankers live in denial, policemen, engineers, doctors, secretaries, the whole lot.

How can you stop corruption when the level of connivance is so deep that the real, honest economy is non existent.

You have good points bro, however, it is better for us to look for precedence and use it to address our issue. Ghana was worse than Nigeria in the late 70's and 80's. I grew up knowing Ghanians in my area and I thought Ghana was a tribe like Igbo or Hausa in Nigeria. They used to be the cobblers, hawkers, puffpuff and other snacks sellers, etc. It was bad for them that they could not stay in Ghana, their sport men and women were playing for Nigeria, IICC Shooting star ( Edward Answer was the No 1 keeper for Leventis FC).
The solution came immediatelly all the corrupt leaders were killed.
The Ghanians left Nigeria and now Nigerians are rushing to Ghana for schooling, business, holiday, investments, enjoy power supply, etc. It is now Nigeria must go instead of Ghana must go in the 80's. Why- LEADERSHIP.
1. LAW MAKING IS CORRUPT,
2. LAW ENFORCEMENT IS CORRUPT;
3. EXECUTIVE ARM IS CORRUPT;
4. JUDICIARY IS CORRUPT;

We only one good thing in Nigeria- Good leaders.

My conclusion: EVERY SOCIETY HAS THE TENDENCY TO BE CORRUPT AND LAWLESS, BUT THE ONUS IS UNEQUIVOCALLY ON THE LEADERSHIP TO MAKE THE WRONG RIGHT.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by boron10(m): 9:52am On Jan 16, 2013
stupor: Its very simple.

Checks and balances.
By ensuring gòvernment agency like the EFCC monitors all monetary and finance relcontracts,expenditure,pay-outs,Expenses,budgets etc from the first day the cheque is signed and approved to the very last day the project is completed and executed.

EFCC should monitor every little spending and bring tO fore any expenditure which has been carried out-in an ultra-vire manner i.e not according to what has been earmarked for such projects.

This is the check and balance being operated by The United States.

EFCC shòuld be aware of any Government spending nô matter how small it may seem,till the very last day the contract would be totally completed.

With this,any misappropriation would be easily detected and not when the government officials have embezzled the money !

EFCC should be aware of whose Govt Contract is expended upon,amount paid,date for execution completion and not to wait till the money had been embezzled before taking their 'James Bond' action.

If EFCC cannot do these things,then I think they have no rights chasing fraud perpetrators around when the evil deed had been done and already carried out.

This is the basics and if US does it,why not Nigeria,except EFCC officials are also parties to all the scams and frauds itself.

Otherwise why would they be eager to investigate scams that had already been perpetrated and not investigate scams from the very beginning before it gets blue and shady.

EFCC do your work !

Monitor all Govt.Payables from scratch and not from the end when the money gets stolen !
So there is no corruption in EFCC ba?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by trillville(m): 10:25am On Jan 16, 2013
@ sincere, u always say that regionalization and resource control will reduce corruption at the federal government.

I have always wondered, who gets to keep the proceeds from sales from our offshore oil if We start practicing resource control. The (littoral) state close to the boundary where the oil is located or the federal government? Under international law, mineral resources in a countries exclusive economic zone (offshore) belong to the country in general and not a state in the country.

What I am saying is that even if we start practicing resource control today, not much will change for the SS states. in fact, things may even get worse depending on how much onshore exploration and production is being done.

So with the federal government still receiving huge proceeds from offshore oil, how can corruption be reduced?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by trillville(m): 10:53am On Jan 16, 2013
ALL OF NIGERIA'S INCOME FROM NATURAL RESOURCES SHOULD BE SPENT ON CAPITAL PROJECTS AND SAVINGS ONLY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Ways Buhari Has Tackled Corruption Without Anti Graft Agencies – Presidency / Oil Pipeline Explosion In Nembe Bayelsa: 50 Persons Missing, Feared Dead / Like P&ID, Like Accugas? Nigeria In Trouble Over Another Sloppy Gas Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.