Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,753 members, 7,938,306 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 10:22 PM

NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... - Education (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... (1171309 Views)

Obafemi Awolowo University,ile-ife Cut-off Marks For 2013/2014 Session / Futa Admission For 2013/2014 Session / Obafemi Awolowo University (oau), 2013/2014 Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (1885) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by olisehcom(f): 9:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mcslize, i disagree wit ur ans to 2 nd 10 Q
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by olisehcom(f): 9:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Q 2 is 'do',while Q 10 is 'they'.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 9:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Obeni precious: I don't agree with u in that No.10 answer. Can u say "them fought the civil war" or "they fought the civil war"? since an action was done which is "fought", then the subjective case like "they" follows and not the objective case like "them". I still stand to be corrected though.I don't agree with u in that No.10 answer. Can u say "them fought the civil war" or "they fought the civil war"? since an action was done which is "fought", then the subjective case like "they" follows and not the objective case like "them". I still stand to be corrected though.

Let me explain why it is B which is ''them''
Subjective Case, Objective Case
He................................Him
She..............................Her
They...........................Them
We..............................Us
It..................................It
I....................................me

It was................ Who fought the civil war

subject of the sentence is ''It''
predicate of the sentence is ''was''

according to the rule of agreement in English. The subject must agree with the verb & the Object. ''Was'' is a primary Auxiliary verb. That means if the gap comes before the auxiliary verb ,u have to choose a Subject case but if the gap come after the verb u have to chose the object case cuz the gap appear in the object side thats why it is correct to chose ''them'' to fill the gap. And the ''who'' is refering back to the subject 'It'. I Hope u understand it now?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 10:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
oliseh.com:
Q 2 is 'do',while Q 10 is 'they'.

2. Ahmed is one of the boys who always..............[A. does B. would do C. do D. done] good work

Rule of Agreement: A subject must agree with the verb

and wherever u see the phrase ''One of'', choose a plural Noun and a singular verb.
The Noun is ''boys' and the auxiliary verb is ''is'' while the action verb which known as the Lexical verb is ''does'' cuz it shows a real action and it is singular cuz the subject of the sentence is singular.
Now what is the subject of the sentence? It is Ahmed which is a singular subject thereby attracting a singular verb ''does'' cuz does is singular in function.

If u choose do that has a plural function then it is totally wrong.

Is it understood now?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Sholani: 10:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
Download UNIBEn Post-Utme Past Questions And Prepare Today!!

The Past Questions IS Free For All, And All you have to do is Click Here To Download Yours, And Share With friends: www.freepumepastquestions.tk

Say Thank You when you download yours
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mcslize:

English Questions To Test YOUR preparation

In each of questions 1 to 10, fill each gap with the appropriate option from the list following the gap

1. Many peole believe that nuclear power will solve our energy problems............. [A. Indeed B. But C. However D. On the contrary], this has not been proved to be true
2. Ahmed is one of the boys who always........... [A. does B. would do C. Do D. Done] good work
3. The university has a large collection of sporting..........[A. equipment B. Equipments C. Constumes D. Aids]
4. My goats are grazing........[A. on B. in C. at D. Into] the field
5. The police are looking for............[A. two big cars black B. two cars big black C. two big black cars D. two black big cars]
6. He keeps his...........[A. surroundings B. surrounding C. premise D. environments] clean always
7. She has a set of gold...........[A. earing B. earings C. earrings D. ear-ring ]
8. Tosin refused to be............... [A. sad B. Placated C. frustrated D. indifferent] though he has written the same examination three times
9. Four engineers...........[A. worked B. are working C. hand worked D. Have been working] on this system since March
10. It was...........[A. they B. them C.those D.theirs ] who fought the civil war

pls don't check up any spelling. Attempt the questions right away. Don't cheat pls. I will provide the answers later

Good Luck!

CORRECTIONS:

1. B
2. A
3. A
4. B
5. C
6. A
7. C
8. C
9. D
10. B
i completely disconcord with ur answers for number 6,7,8 and 10 especially 10.. Hw can u say "them fought d civil war"
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Trendytessy(f): 10:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mcslize:
no Uniben doesn't conduct prelim
Ok tnx
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by GorgeousReney(f): 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mcslize:

score : 10/10

Questions u answer correctly are : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Test grade : Excellent
.......dancing alingo........
Mcslize:

.......dancing alingo........
Mcslize:

......dancing alingo.........8-)
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Adex097: 12:46am On Jul 05, 2013
Please guys, there is a thread for this
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Adex097: 2:26am On Jul 05, 2013
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 05, 2013
Don't forget that the major verb there which is the lexical verb is "fought"
Adex097: www.nairaland.com/1173188/english-language-literature-online-tutorial/24
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 05, 2013
Don't forget that the main predicator in that sentence is "fought" and not "was". I think u should do some research on that.
Mcslize:

according to the rule of agreement in English. The subject must agree with the verb & the Object. ''Was'' is a primary Auxiliary verb. That means if the gap comes before the auxiliary verb ,u have to choose a Subject case but if the gap come after the verb u have to chose the object case cuz the gap appear in the object side thats why it is correct to chose ''them'' to fill the gap. And the ''who'' is refering back to the subject 'It'. I Hope u understand it now?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by babsupes(m): 8:59am On Jul 05, 2013
my uniben form wrote 2012 instead of 2013 what should i do
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 9:28am On Jul 05, 2013
@ Mcslize. I totally disagree with ur number 2 and number 4. I know that whenever we have "one of" in a sentence that a plural noun and a singular verb follows it, but when there is a relative marker "who" it refers to a previous mentioned noun or pronoun. Eg
One of the women who ___ in the premises ___ been asked to withdraw.
A sells/has
B sell/has
C sells/have
D sell/have.
The relative marker "who" is refering to the "women" so it would take a plural verb in d first gap then the "one of" will take a singular verb in the other gap. I hope this is clear cos i'm not good @ explaining.
Secondly, graze takes the preposition "on" not "in". Please refer to ur dictionary about that. Pls disregard any typographical error. Thanks
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 9:33am On Jul 05, 2013
[color=#77077] I'm not a Uniben applicant but my brother chose the school and he scored 206 going for Law. Sorry for intruding. [/color]
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Didi5(m): 9:41am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
[color=#77077]I'm not a Uniben applicant but my brother chose the school and he scored 206 going for Law. Sorry for intruding.[/color]
Has he registered?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 9:50am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
@ Mcslize. I totally disagree with ur number 2 and number 4. I know that whenever we have "one of" in a sentence that a plural noun and a singular verb follows it, but when there is a relative marker "who" it refers to a previous mentioned noun or pronoun. Eg
One of the women who ___ in the premises ___ been asked to withdraw.
A sells/has
B sell/has
C sells/have
D sell/have.
The relative marker "who" is refering to the "women" so it would take a plural verb in d first gap then the "one of" will take a singular verb in the other gap. I hope this is clear cos i'm not good @ explaining.
Secondly, graze takes the preposition "on" not "in". Please refer to ur dictionary about that. Pls disregard any typographical error. Thanks

look at the number 4 critically. It doesn't sound right to say sheep graze on farm. Read it loud and listen to how it sounds. Graze in is the right preposition. My sheep graze on the farm and my sheep graze in the farm which one sound right? Give it a critical thought pls cuz farm is not a single object for us to say the sheep graze on it but they graze in it
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 9:50am On Jul 05, 2013
Didi 5: Has he registered?
Yea, he said sumtin about his exam being next week
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mexyz(m): 9:52am On Jul 05, 2013
Mr Mcslize,where d hell is chopping complex located in uniben? Hmmmm...its shopping complex my broda,guys pls mke sure u click final submit o nd no wasting of time during d postume o. Dnt be deceived by d time given on ur questn paper o....God bless
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 9:54am On Jul 05, 2013
Mcslize:

look at the number 4 critically. It doesn't sound right to say sheep graze on farm. Read it loud and listen to how it sounds. Graze in is the right preposition. My sheep graze on the farm and my sheep graze in the farm which one sound right? Give it a critical thought pls cuz farm is not a single object for us to say the sheep graze on it but they graze in it
We are not talking about how it sounds, we are talking about its grammatical correctness(if there's anyway word like dat). According to my dictionary, graze takes the preposition "on" What does ur dictionary say?
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 9:54am On Jul 05, 2013
babsupes: my uniben form wrote 2012 instead of 2013 what should i do

That 2012 is also on my slip. It is on everybody slips. It is simply a mistake from Uniben portal. No wahala for that.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Didi5(m): 9:55am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
Yea, he said sumtin about his exam being next week
The exam is next week saturday.I am a law aspirant too.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 10:00am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
We are not talking about how it sounds, we are talking about its grammatical correctness(if there's anyway word like dat). According to my dictionary, graze takes the preposition "on" What does ur dictionary say?

There are words that can be used with more than one preposition. Check the Dictionary very well once more u will see graze being used with other prepositons like with, on, in. It depends on the content of the sentence and its connotation. Look at the content of the sentence again before u draw ur conclusion.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 05, 2013
IKJ66: I heard d pume exam as been prosponed til further notice coz of d ASUU strike.PLS HOW TRUE Z DIZ
The PUTME can not be postponed as a result of the on going strike by ASUU. The screening is conducted by a central body of the school and not ASUU.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 10:05am On Jul 05, 2013
Didi 5: The exam is next week saturday.I am a law aspirant too.
Goodluck cos the Pume is not easy oh. My friend wrote the exam 3 times b4 she could enter(she entered last year). This is my brother's second time of writting it. See u @ d top
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Omosivie1(f): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2013
Mcslize:

There are words that can be used with more than one preposition. Check the Dictionary very well once more u will see graze being used with other prepositons like with, on, in. It depends on the content of the sentence and its connotation. Look at the content of the sentence again before u draw ur conclusion.
[color=770077] I only saw one prepostion and dat's "on" but i'd rather not argue about this again cos arguing makes me weak and tired. Goodluck in ur upcoming post-utme. [/color]
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Didi5(m): 10:10am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
Goodluck cos the Pume is not easy oh. My friend wrote the exam 3 times b4 she could enter(she entered last year). This is my brother's second time of writting it. See u @ d top
U can add me on facebook @ Israel Olumese
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by BRAINEE123: 10:19am On Jul 05, 2013
Mcslize:

u ar very korect!
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
Omosivie,:
[color=770077] I only saw one prepostion and dat's "on" but i'd rather not argue about this again cos arguing makes me weak and tired. Goodluck in ur upcoming post-utme. [/color]

i don't think this sounds like an argument but I see it as reasoning. Scholars don't argue but reason.
I choosed My goats are grazing in the field base on the content showing vividly that a field is an open surface in a low level. Field is not a high surface that is the content of the sentence that made it take in rather than on. If u choose on that means u view the field to be a high surface and u will agree with me that field is a low surface ground. I rest my case
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by BRAINEE123: 10:34am On Jul 05, 2013
Mcslize:

2. Ahmed is one of the boys who always..............[A. does B. would do C. do D. done] good work

Rule of Agreement: A subject must agree with the verb

and wherever u see the phrase ''One of'', choose a plural Noun and a singular verb.
The Noun is ''boys' and the auxiliary verb is ''is'' while the action verb which known as the Lexical verb is ''does'' cuz it shows a real action and it is singular cuz the subject of the sentence is singular.
Now what is the subject of the sentence? It is Ahmed which is a singular subject thereby attracting a singular verb ''does'' cuz does is singular in function.

If u choose do that has a plural function then it is totally wrong.

Is it understood now?

Hello! Your suggested answer is WRONG! The required predicate complements the people who do the work. Among those people, is Ahmed .THE RIGHT PREDICATE IS "DO"
When the question is re-analyzed, it becomes:
One of the boys who do the work is Ahmed.(boys-do)

1 Like

Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by Mcslize: 10:53am On Jul 05, 2013
BRAINEE123:

Hello! Your suggested answer is WRONG! The required predicate complements the people who do the work. Among those people, is Ahmed .THE RIGHT PREDICATE IS "DO"
When the question is re-analyzed, it becomes:
One of the boys who do the work is Ahmed.(boys-do)

i strongly believe that all my answers are correct.

Ahmed is one of the Boys. The sentence centre on Ahmed not all the boys. The sentence does not refer to all the boys for which Ahmed is among.so it will be wrong to choose a plural verb do when the sentence doesn't refer to them as a whole but only Ahmed who is a single individual. U can always choose the right answer by looking at the Subject of the sentence then if the subject is singular u must always choose a singular verb but if the subject is plural u must always choose a plural verb. For u choosing do instead of does means u view Ahmed as a plural Subject which is not.
I hope someone will agree with me on this.
Re: NEWLY ADMITTED UNIBEN STUDENTS 2013/2014 SESSION... by babsupes(m): 11:15am On Jul 05, 2013
Mcslize:

That 2012 is also on my slip. It is on everybody slips. It is simply a mistake from Uniben portal. No wahala for that.
thank u dude

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (1885) (Reply)

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE / The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.