Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,704 members, 7,921,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 07:58 AM

What Software Have You Created [remix] - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Software Have You Created [remix] (5585 Views)

Poll: What is the major obstacle for Nigerian programmers?

Bad power supply: 22% (7 votes)
Lack of team work: 38% (12 votes)
'Cos they are black: 0% (0 votes)
Not many have access to internet: 16% (5 votes)
Laziness: 16% (5 votes)
They are not appreciated: 6% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

What Software/applications Sells In Nigeria Nowadays / What Software Have You Created? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2008
Okay, your question is a very serious question to me,
1) because i dont like miscommunication, and
2) i want to be sure we are all on the same page.

Just to clarify to others, yes we are still building the contact manager.
Did anyone say otherwise? Please let me know so we can sort out the miscommunication.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 7:30pm On Mar 19, 2008
Ok, contact manager OK. Hope we have sent our emails to @Prodgalson to confirm particiationI just did mine sha,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by kudaisi(m): 12:29am On Mar 20, 2008
i dont know about u all, but for me i dont intend to compete with nobody, but i intend to donate to Nigerian Software developers, i intent to launch a "Software Developer's Community website" for nigerian developers, i have a record of about 1000 ebooks to be posted online alongside other materials, forum inclusive, and by the grace of God i shld be opening a software developers library pretty soon in Lagos, no props for me, no thumbs up for me, it's just my love for IT and my Country,,,,,but i'm gonna be needing alot of support from y'all around even ur advises will count, if u want to join me in this quest pls feel free to mail me.SCJP, SCJD presently working on SCWCD
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 9:20pm On Mar 20, 2008
We have saud we r not in a competition but to learn. We v trashed dat out. Nice idea u got sha, we will support u
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by rookie(m): 12:33am On Mar 24, 2008
@kudaisi

-- Nice initiative, more grease to your elbow
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 6:45pm On Mar 24, 2008
Well done. I've started work on the contact manager. What i'm feeling is that a program like this exist, so is it advisable to reinvent it, Or should we decompile it and edit the source code to suit our specifications? I hope the man that brought the idea of this contact manager is not telling us to developed what he has done already.
I've finished the layout, just remaining actions and the data model for the JTable, i thought i would finish it during this easter but I couldn't, which means I may not have time to complete it for the next 4 or 5 weeks. But i will be willing to render any help.

One Spirit, One Goal, One Naija. Keep coding,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 11:53pm On Mar 24, 2008
Please, from scratch.
I'm not a big fan of un-originality, and much more, I hate when people cant explain code that they've supposedly written.
The idea is to share your work based on your particular skill level so please come with YOUR own work, it doesn't have to be elegant and/or perfect, because I can gaurantee you we will all learn from each other after this exercise. If you're better than me, I'll learn what I can do better, if you're not as good I am, then I'll learn what common problems that inexperienced developers face. Remember guys, this is for a greater good.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 12:40am On Mar 27, 2008
Good Idea!!! I also appreciate the act of producing a code and being able to defend it anywhere.
I suggest that we take good layout into consideration and we should be able to open, save and PRINT(on a local or network printer) any contact list in out application.
Hints for less experienced programmers:
--The printing can be achieved by rendering the whole JTable containing our contacts to the printer.
--Opening and saving is achieved by java.io
if you need a book on io contact me marvelindaclub@fastermail.com
It's all about helping ourselves.

I notice that all of you that want to develop the desktop version of the application are aiming it as windows, and I wonder if many of us can aim at MS-DOS and still achieve something. I would have loved to do that(which i will like to call "a mordern-day craze"wink but technology is improving and so we also should improve with it.
Window? Yes.
Ms-DOS? No! No!! No!!!

-Keep Coding,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by kheme(m): 4:28pm On Mar 27, 2008
well,  there are a few which i've already forgotten, but so long as the name "software" or "application" is concerned,

1. F.L.A.M.E.S. - i'm sure you guys know the game. we used to play it back in primary & seconday school
2. Password Generator - it generates a random password of any lenght you want, of letter, numbers or both
3. Text Encoder/Decoder - a silly text encoder i made. it simply scrambles the letters of text so it makes no sense when read until decoded, by the same software (unless you know the encoding algorithm, which i highly doubt you'd get easily! lol)
4. Calculator - a very simple calculator like the one that comes with windows xp.
5. ProTx - a simple plain text editor i made for my HTML students. it has added features like background music, display current file size, display date & time, calculator (i simple incorporated my calculator from #4 above) and quick page preview, with which those learning HTML can quickly preview their HTML codes in the browser, strainght from the editor
6. i also made one stupid simple interest calculator when i was thinking "forex"

and if you want to consider web applications too,
7. eBSta - a customised website content management system. it does anything you want it to do for your website. ie. i customize it to your needs. its very user-friendly and almost anyone with good computer knowledge can use it.
8. WIGN (pronounced as win, the "g" is silent, like in sign) - its a very easy to use mysql manager, more like a lite version of PHPMyAdmin, just that its very user-friendly and almost anyone with good computer knowledge can use it.

there was one i did, an experiment actually, it was like a draw pad. i never named it because it was very limited in features and i never completed it to export to several image formats.

more are coming. right now, i'm thinking of working on a LINUX/UNIX emulator for Windows OS. I hope to use C++.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by lucabrasi(m): 3:43am On Mar 28, 2008
hi ppl sorri i dont really know where to post this but i v got two questions ill like you all to help me with
the first question is that in my msn messenger theres this instant messender i got from one of my contacts which turned out to be a virus but she did not send it to me and ever since this has happened,most of my msn contacts have gotten ims from me telling them to open a link which have turned out to be a virus,the alarming thing is that one of my contacts told me this evening that her contacts have gotten same im from me even though i dont have their contacts on my msn, pls how can i know where its coming from and what can i do to stop it?
my second question is that i only know the basics about computers and i decided to go for a skill update and do the software testing exam,i got the handout from a friend of mine and did the exams which i passed but i have not gotten anyone to put me through on what to do next and how to actually aquire a bit of practical software testing skills and how to go about getting the job and what i might be asked in the interview, i know u gys have more serious stuffs to talk about but pls ill appreciate any help, i live in manchester, uk and im a uni student at the moment thanks
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by Kobojunkie: 7:02am On Mar 28, 2008
lucabrasi:

hi people sorri i don't really know where to post this but i v got two questions ill like you all to help me with
the first question is that in my msn messenger theres this instant messender i got from one of my contacts which turned out to be a virus but she did not send it to me and ever since this has happened,most of my msn contacts have gotten ims from me telling them to open a link which have turned out to be a virus,the alarming thing is that one of my contacts told me this evening that her contacts have gotten same im from me even though i don't have their contacts on my msn, please how can i know where its coming from and what can i do to stop it?
my second question is that i only know the basics about computers and i decided to go for a skill update and do the software testing exam,i got the handout from a friend of mine and did the exams which i passed but i have not gotten anyone to put me through on what to do next and how to actually aquire a bit of practical software testing skills and how to go about getting the job and what i might be asked in the interview, i know u gys have more serious stuffs to talk about but please ill appreciate any help, i live in manchester, uk and im a uni student at the moment thanks

For your msn problem, I would advise you go back to your msn account, change your password and also change your account log in question. When you find yourself using a public computer, always remember to log off when you are done. If the virus is on your personal computer, try to download AVAST and run it to troubleshoot and help you eliminate the bug.

For your Career in Software testing, you have to get yourself books and training kits on these things if you are not willing to go the school route. The internet is a vast pool of knowledge on what to do and the best is to do a lot of research to plot your own roadmap to where you want to go. You at least need to understand a lot about software development and what it means to be a software tester to begin with and then you have to build as many skills as you can. This link might help a great deal http://www.iist.org/Course_List.php

Once you have figured out what you need to know, then you can shop around for ways to obtain these new skills. I opt for books since I already went the school route but have met equally talented self-taught Engineers out there.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by lucabrasi(m): 5:59pm On Mar 28, 2008
thanks a whole lot for your help and i v done as you advised,ill get on to the link and hopefully things ll be a lot clearer but pls in case you come across anything helpful pls do share with me, appreciate your help and have a nice weekend smiley
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 6:45pm On Mar 31, 2008
Luca brasi sleeps with the fishes, no? smiley
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by lucabrasi(m): 7:34pm On Mar 31, 2008
wink ;d,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2008
kheme:

well, there are a few which i've already forgotten, but so long as the name "software" or "application" is concerned,

1. F.L.A.M.E.S. - i'm sure you guys know the game. we used to play it back in primary & seconday school
2. Password Generator - it generates a random password of any lenght you want, of letter, numbers or both
3. Text Encoder/Decoder - a silly text encoder i made. it simply scrambles the letters of text so it makes no sense when read until decoded, by the same software (unless you know the encoding algorithm, which i highly doubt you'd get easily! lol)
4. Calculator - a very simple calculator like the one that comes with windows xp.
5. ProTx - a simple plain text editor i made for my HTML students. it has added features like background music, display current file size, display date & time, calculator (i simple incorporated my calculator from #4 above) and quick page preview, with which those learning HTML can quickly preview their HTML codes in the browser, strainght from the editor
6. i also made one stupid simple interest calculator when i was thinking "forex"

and if you want to consider web applications too,
7. eBSta - a customised website content management system. it does anything you want it to do for your website. ie. i customize it to your needs. its very user-friendly and almost anyone with good computer knowledge can use it.
8. WIGN (pronounced as win, the "g" is silent, like in sign) - its a very easy to use mysql manager, more like a lite version of PHPMyAdmin, just that its very user-friendly and almost anyone with good computer knowledge can use it.

there was one i did, an experiment actually, it was like a draw pad. i never named it because it was very limited in features and i never completed it to export to several image formats.

more are coming. right now, i'm thinking of working on a LINUX/UNIX emulator for Windows OS. I hope to use C++.

Nice work, We r working on contact manager now sha
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 9:19am On Apr 01, 2008
@Kheme, i hope you've read the first page of this thread. I not go over it. We are currently working on contact manager that enables SAVE,DELETE,MODIFY,APPEND a contact list. Now i want us to add PRINT, i.e printing the list to a local printer or a network printer. The list must contain NAME, LAST NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE & E-MAIL. You can build it with any language of your choice, aimed at any OS of your choice. I can be a WEB version, DESKTOP version or MOBILE version. To participate. send an e-mail containing your details to ekz [at] adobe.com, we hope that you can do something. I think all executables and source codes will also be shared among all participants, and the best of the bests rated, and co-developed by every one to meet certain standards and we'll collectively help the best man on international coding levels if there is any, for example topcoders.com as one of us suggested.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 8:37pm On Apr 05, 2008
How far? What's our progress? I want to here good news concerning this project.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by thebushman: 11:15am On Apr 06, 2008
It seems all of u are amateur and unnecessarily enthusiastic programmers who have no job as to want to compete in such a stupid competition. Instead of wasting your time on such crap with no personal or economical value, you should spend that time on your respective jobs (if you have) and improving your programming skills.
Go to www.itstudy8.com download a book, study and practice.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by kheme(m): 8:00pm On Apr 07, 2008
contact manager? is that what you call it? i had an address book made, using javascript and cookies (not exactly the best, but i was experimenting with cookies). making a contact manager with all that features will be piece-a-cake, dude! lol! but i'm not in for this, sorry!
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by ThePhantom(m): 7:57am On Apr 08, 2008
@ thebushman

Sad, so sad.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 6:28pm On Apr 10, 2008
kheme:

contact manager? is that what you call it? i had an address book made, using javascript and cookies (not exactly the best, but i was experimenting with cookies). making a contact manager with all that features will be piece-a-cake, dude! lol! but i'm not in for this, sorry!

So if its a contact manager, it doesnt mean we are amateurs, Use your programming prowress to develop a simple, yet professional contact manager with a language of your choice. That way, everyone learns from it because it would bridge the gap between the extreme programmers and the newbies. You cud design a stock market app or something higher, i would still do my contact manager and get an award for it. Here we are sharing and the best way we can do that is to put what we know into practice so others can download our codes and learn. We might also be testing professionalism applied in coding, choice of components, GUI and all,

thebushman:

It seems all of u are amateur and unnecessarily enthusiastic programmers who have no job as to want to compete in such a stupid competition. Instead of wasting your time on such crap with no personal or economical value, you should spend that time on your respective jobs (if you have) and improving your programming skills.
Go to www.itstudy8.com download a book, study and practice.

Waste of brain juice. Why did u have to post that, ? I have a job and i m sure some other people here do. I don't know why nigerians are like this ooooo. DId u read through our previous posts, its not a competion and if u are not interested, u cud have just clicked the back button. Every line of code u write is a solution to some else's problems. By doing this, we are also helping future googlers and newbies who might be needng help, It wud be nice to know they got their solutions from nigerians, and in the process, we are repairing our already dented image

No hating, just an honest opinion oooooo

@SayoMarvel

I sent u a mail and have not gotten a reply, I have not started mine sha because i m a bit busy but hope to start soon.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by goyetunji: 7:43pm On Apr 10, 2008
is not abt the software u can develope nor the programing language u can speak (dont 4get that YAHOO(the OS of the internet is frm open source languages)) it is abt tinking ahead to produce a new tin in the industry or modify perfectly an existing technology. we can achieve this but not as a person but as team (a team of programmer and humanist) if u are tinking in this direction we can reason 2gether
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 10:40am On Apr 11, 2008
goyetunji:

is not about the software u can develope nor the programing language u can speak (don't forget that YAHOO(the OS of the internet is frm open source languages)) it is about tinking ahead to produce a new tin in the industry or modify perfectly an existing technology. we can achieve this but not as a person but as team (a team of programmer and humanist) if u are tinking in this direction we can reason 2gether
Hmm, i agree with ya. Lets achieve this first. Then after we have this very simple task first. We are just starting u know. Lets follow process. Even cold water doesnt just become hot, it has to be warm first. Lets warm ourselves before getting hot cheesy

Jaji
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by kheme(m): 12:59pm On Apr 12, 2008
fine then, i'll see if i can find the code and upload it here!
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 5:37pm On Apr 13, 2008
@ theBushman

You replied to justify your name(bush man). This thing we are doing may look little but i want you to believe that many of us have done better programs. We are doing this to re-sharpen ourselves as well help others who need codes to improve their programming skills. For example, before this thread, i don't do much work with tables, but this project made me to do more of it. You that look down on others, I know you are not a real guru. Don't worry, the very best of us may if he likes make a pdf that will cover certain things, and you will be a beneficiary. dude!! tongue
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 7:05pm On Apr 13, 2008
@SayoMarvel

Did u get my email, ?
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by thebushman: 7:15pm On Apr 13, 2008
@javalove
Every line of code you write is a post to somebody's problem , very true. These things already have solutions online. I believe if someone has a problem he should make it known. there are more tasking things you could involve yourselves in (working with a bandobject, using the new WPF (Zammel) language in .NET2008, learning to use to Facebook framework to develop facebook apps and a countless other stuffs). If we continue dis way we would continue going in loops. Check out other foreign programming forums (codeproject e.t.c). Check out new articles being posted there. Im thinking of starting a forum like codeproject very soon for Nigerains Software writers to post their articles and solutions to problems for others to download.

@SayoMarvel
Respect other members (dont insult other members). Its not about being good or doin very little stuffs, how long are we goin to continue doin little stuffs (that already av a solution online). If you av a problem with using tables, start a thread on it. Someone who is good with it would reply you. If you want to come together to do something then make it something worth coming 2gether to do and not a contact managar
One more thing, I dont av 2 prove 2 u whether I'm a guru or not. I never claimed to be good
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by thebushman: 8:57pm On Apr 13, 2008
For those of you who are students and want 2 compete in a competition please visit www.imaginecup.com and register for Microsoft Software competition.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 11:18am On Apr 14, 2008
@ thebushman

I don't mean to insult anybody on this forum but the way you presented your point is disgusting. I don't insult. wink
I didn't say i have problems with tables, i only said that most of my works doesn't make use of it. And you know that if you dont use something for a long time you tend to forget certain snipets. For example, if you like using box layout, there is tendency for you to forget some things about gridBag layout if you don't use it for a long time.
one love.

@ javalove
I got your e-mail and i've replied it. check your mail box. Lets get to know ourselves. You forgot to send you location in the details you sent in the mail.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2008
thebushman:

@javalove
Every line of code you write is a post to somebody's problem , very true. These things already have solutions online. I believe if someone has a problem he should make it known. there are more tasking things you could involve yourselves in (working with a bandobject, using the new WPF (Zammel) language in .NET2008, learning to use to Facebook framework to develop facebook apps and a countless other stuffs). If we continue this way we would continue going in loops. Check out other foreign programming forums (codeproject e.t.c). Check out new articles being posted there. I'm thinking of starting a forum like codeproject very soon for Nigerains Software writers to post their articles and solutions to problems for others to download.

Aw r u sure. Look lets just start simple. Lets assess the success of handling a small project like this one before we go into something large. Obviously, there is no bigger project i believe we can't handle. No matter how big it is, i beleive our collective exposure and expertise wold achive it for us.

You just mentioned .NET. Thats another thing. WE are not all .NET programmers. What we want to promote first is unity in diversity, (am i right?). Different languages to achieve the same thing. Then we would assess our compatibility in developing a project with different languages using plugins. i am looking beyond the contact manager sha,

I have been a member of code project for more than 4 years. One of the earliest members u would say. They didnt start from the top like u want us to do, they started from scratch, posting from articles to explain the simplest HelloWorld of a language and now, its a huge success. Lets just complete this little project first. If it goes fine, we are on track.

Its a nice idea you've got sha. I am sure we will support you in making it a succes,

@Sayomarvel

Didnt get the mail oooo. Send me a mail to lukman@jajitech.net.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 2:00pm On Apr 17, 2008
@javalove

why not hit me on yahoo instant messanger
my id is marvelsayo
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by ThePhantom(m): 10:29am On Apr 20, 2008
Interesting. Got my popcorn and drink. Let see if they can come together and make something.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Best Place To Learn Web Development & Programming / Matlab: A Program For Mathematicians? / How Can I Build A Loan App Of Mine Own

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.