Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,945 members, 7,886,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 12:24 PM

Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) (1471 Views)

An Utterly Perplexed Nairalander Seeks Immediate Help / www.9jatech.com - Website Review, Your Comments Will Be Appreciated / Requesting a Website Review: PresentDangerOnline.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:16pm On Apr 29, 2006
Sites under development and under review
lay it to the meat grinder

1: http://www.bglltd.com
2: http://www.afrinvest.com

My primary goal is to build very minimalist websites that deliver a message precisely and functions properly,  so alos look at those aspects as well.

Patiently awaiting your suggestions and flaming if need be
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by my2cents(m): 3:11am On Apr 30, 2006
here's my 2 cents. By the way, I would call what I am about to say constructive criticism, as opposed to flaming grin

Rollovers (Both) - Try and apply text and not images

Links (BGL) - On the left nav bar, make the links such that when a user hovers, they know it is a link and will go somewhere (underline, color change, etc)

Centre Image (BGL) - at 114Kb, I would say it is too large. Consider optimizing it. Photoshop does a pretty good job with that.

Printer Friendly Version (BGL) - If you use CSS, you can implement a printer stylesheet. That way, you don't have to maintain duplicate code per page coded => Better maintainability

Rollovers (Afrinvest) - Some menus have a submenu, which if I were to remove my mouse, still stays. Consider using the javascript timeout function so that a few milliseconds after I remove my mouse, it disappears.

If you are concerned with SEO, remove the frame from the main page of BGL.

That's all I have. Design-wise, kudos grin
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by Zahymaka(m): 3:24am On Apr 30, 2006
I think you used too few colors / formatting on BGL.Most of your links are the same color as your text -- green. my2cents has said it all for the remaining comments I have.
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:41am On Apr 30, 2006
Amazing, and i thought i had it all covered. will get back to work on those suggestions. thanks guyz, especially for the

Printer Friendly Version (BGL) - If you use CSS, you can implement a printer stylesheet. That way, you don't have to maintain duplicate code per page coded => Better maintainability

I do not know much Css cept for font formatting. I was planning to use ASP to read the webpage to the point where the text portion starts and display that insteed. but i think Css is a lot simpler.

As for the Green, the client is obsessed with their corporate colors, so much they decided they did not want color pictures. somethings you cannot change.

I really appreciate yoru comments. thanks
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by smartsoft(m): 5:15pm On Apr 30, 2006
Nice site man nice one ! but that BGL stuff the login, the Form is kind of long and it should be center. huh,  but the site is kool sha .
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by Zahymaka(m): 6:07pm On Apr 30, 2006
For printing, you don't need much. I see you have this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bgl.css">

If you changed it to

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bgl.css" media="screen">

It'd only show up that way on screen. If you want to add a print stylesheet just say

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bgl.css" media="print">

I'm sorry if I'm a very bad "explainer" but if you visited http://books.zatechcorp.com and tried to print, then examined my html you should get the idea.
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by xkape(m): 8:00pm On Apr 30, 2006
my guy
not bad, not bad at all
keep up the good work
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2006
@Zahymaka thanks for the tip. i did not know CSS could do that
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bgl.css" media="print">

@smartsoft
trying to re-organize the layout for the register and login form
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by Zahymaka(m): 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2006
Hey. We're one big family. I really enjoy the discussions with you and my2cents. By the way, would you mind contributing to this similar thread?
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by elcij(m): 3:35am On May 01, 2006
i like the sites man. unlike most nigerian made sites its clean and professional looking.
only thing I dont like is just because it has to do with nigeria doesnt mean it has to be green and white,
switch up the colors but keep the minimalist approach.
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by my2cents(m): 4:21am On May 01, 2006
largerwhenindoubt,

One thing Zahymaka forgot to mention is that in order for the CSS to work (assuming you haven't figured it out yet), you will need to:

1) Re-arrange portions of your page (header, footer, content, etc) into logical blocks

2) If you aren't using 100% CSS, then surround chunks of your tables in DIVs

3) In your print stylesheet, set the display property of each of those DIVs to "none". If you visit the last site I coded www.southsouthforum.org, do a print preview. You will notice that I only have the main content on the printed version. Save off my printable stylesheet for formatting if need be.

Like Zahymaka, I am happy that we can all be of service to each other. It does take a web development family to raise a fellow web developer grin
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:54am On May 01, 2006
my2cents
If you visit the last site I coded www.southsouthforum.org, do a print preview./

this is way 2 kool, i should slap myself for avoiding css all along.

el_cij thanks man, inspiration come from top-class non-nigerian sites, like Zahymaka does, its in the integration of the best sides of the websites i like http://www.coolhomepages.com/
just because it has to do with nigeria doesnt mean it has to be green and white

i love Nigeria but wished our flag had a different color or had native designs like SA, nigerians just love their national colors, u should see us at the olympics during the ceremonial march
Re: Website Review: Utterly Criticize (No Kid Gloves) by timmy(m): 5:04pm On May 01, 2006
wink but little issues, would say more when i get to work on teusday

(1) (Reply)

Ajax Dropdown Menu Scripts / I Want D Best Hosting For My Site. / How To Tell What Software A Site Uses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.