Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,351 members, 7,940,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? (2482 Views)

I Am In A Dilemma / The Fatoyinbo Dilemma, Your Thoughts..... / A Mother's Dilemma In An Rccg Creche (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by Syncan(m): 8:57pm On Jan 23, 2013
I appreciate these contributions,really broadening my horizon.
Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by Syncan(m): 9:00pm On Jan 23, 2013
dayokanu: Oro so sini lenu o bu iyo si

Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by Iranoladun(f): 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2013
Marriage and family is all about sacrifice. The choice of where to work, where to live, type of vehicle to buy even sometimes types of friends to be close to are very crucial once you are marry and have children.

Op, you need to balance this new career choice/move with your family. If your wife is not in support don't go. With offshore rig job even if they are in the same city with you, you wont get to see them until after your shift; most oil companies are very strict they want your undivided attention during your shift.

If you are however prepare to 'loose' your wife and family then take the job against your wife's opposition.
Money is not everything!
Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by damiso(f): 11:17pm On Jan 23, 2013
OP i can get where you are coming from as a man BUT as has been said by so many other people,sometimes its just not about money.

I am also at the risk of facing redudancy at work because my dept is undergoing some operational changes and are moving to an entirely different location.Mind you its one i can commute to(about 2 hrs on the train) and if i am willing due to my experience might even be able to get a higher role and in turn higher pay.
BUT like you my marriage is relatively young, i have two kids under 4, my daughter is begginning to settle into a school really sought after,hubby works in this city and i really really wanted to go back to work part time for a couple of years.
I am thinking to myself do i really want to spend 4 hrs commutting 5 days a week and be this perpetually wound up.mum.Also is it fair to my employers to sometimes mess up train delays inevitable issues that u tend to have with under 5's.My hubby is like do what you feel u can handle but i dont want u being stressed and unhappy cos u took on too much.He knows how wound up i become if i think am not performing at optimum level.So its a dilemma but one am tilting to putting family at the forefront of.These days i might never get back with my kids.To be honest though the money aspect still appeals to me but am thinking if i go down the redudancy route the severance package(quite generous as they had to be careful cos am.on mat leave) i get might still tide me(hubby is asking me to save it and he handles all the bills for now) over for a while but as half ijebu i love earning money.Its a strange and very confusing place to be at but as someone who has been through it before told me sometimes it takes things like this to point one in the right directiom or purpose for your life.I run a small business as well so maybe just maybe being an entepreneur might be on the cards.Maybe just maybe.

Its up to you to convince your wife on the pros but as you have said if she is not convinced maybe you might have to let go or look for a way for you all to make the move together.

1 Like

Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by baby124: 11:26pm On Jan 23, 2013
Fact is i have never met someone who works off shore that doesnt travel. At least to more than one country over their lifetime. I am not really sure if this has to do with career advancement in that industry, but i assume it does. Your wife before marrying you should have prepared herself for this. I know you want this opportunity very badly, so i will advice you to get ready to uproot your family. While over there, maybe wifey can get a job with your company or stay at home. Alternatively, she can get a flexible career like nursing/ teaching/ accounting. So that she can get ready for a life around the world with you. I dont think you should sacrifice the opportunity. Her issue is long distance, so she has to be flexible enough and open to moving around the world if she wants to support your career. Talk to her well.
Re: Classical Dilemma:to Go Or Not? by Winneygirl(f): 7:02am On Jan 24, 2013
In watever choices we make, pls ensure dat 2 aspects of Ur life are well-guarded: Ur health & Ur family!

Those ar 2 aspects U cannot afford 2 allow them breakdown.

Ur new job is telling U 2put d job 1st,by dedicating abt 40 weeks 2them, and a meagre 12 wks 2family. How fair is dat in d 52wks/yr God has given us?

Pls be wise. Ur family will be happier wt U not wt d money U earn.

Listen 2 'Buy me a Rose' by Luther Vandross.

Ur wife wants U, not Ur money. Many men pray 2have a woman like dat.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Husband Kills His Wife Then Hangs Himself Out Of Guilt (PHOTOS) / Please Your Candid Advice Is Needed / Must A Man Marry In His 4os Even Without Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.