Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,497 members, 7,932,618 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:09 AM

Why Ruby On Rails? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Ruby On Rails? (1005 Views)

Web Design With Bootstrap, Jquery, Php, Ruby On Rails, Etc / Ruby On Rails Developer Needed / Any Ruby On Rails Developer Around This Parts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ruby On Rails? by cmon(m): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2008
Can someone please explain why I should use Ruby on Rails?

Is it an application?

I've checked the website and found really no information on why I should use it. So if you use it, what's the essence of using it.

More security? Less Overhead? or what?
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by tundewoods(m): 5:08pm On Mar 05, 2008
Ruby on rails also known as ROR is a free web application framework. It aims to increase the speed and ease with which database-driven web sites can be created, and offers skeleton code frameworks (scaffolding) from the outset. Often shortened to Rails, or RoR, Ruby on Rails is an open source project written in the Ruby programming language, and applications using the Rails framework are developed using the Model-View-Controller design paradigm.

Not used much around this part of the world yet and still relatively fresh.

Ruby on Rails was extracted by David Heinemeier Hansson from his work on Basecamp, a project management tool by the web design and application company 37signals.
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by cmon(m): 5:13pm On Mar 05, 2008
@tunderwoods
It aims to increase the speed and ease with which database-driven web sites can be created,

I think I like that. How are my supposed to start using it. Is it an application like the common dreamweaver or what?
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by smartsoft(m): 6:52am On Mar 06, 2008
it is a code that you right dude
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by tundewoods(m): 8:17am On Mar 06, 2008
smartsoft:

it is a code that you right dude

What if it is the code you left behind undecided
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by naijafan(m): 8:59am On Mar 06, 2008
tundewoods:

What if it is the code you left behind undecided

Rule: No personal attacks or public fights but i'ma break this one

WTF is the code that you left behind? Are you dumb ?
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by my2cents(m): 11:45am On Mar 06, 2008
I think I like that. How are my supposed to start using it. Is it an application like the common dreamweaver or what?
How? Like you would any other programming language. No big deal. Just make sure your web host supports it as it is a pretty new language and not all web hosts do so.

So, if u can't find any books, make google your friend, ensure your web host supports it and start cranking some good quality code!
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by tundewoods(m): 1:29pm On Mar 06, 2008
@ naijafan

You must have some nerve to pick a brawl with me,trust me i'm the wrong person you would want to start a war with.

I will ingore you for now w=simply because i've got tons of work starring at me in the office and secondly i can see that you have no sense of humor but next time disrespect to elders can be fatal.
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by naijafan(m): 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2008
yea yea. . . as long as wat you say is relevant to the topic wink
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by cmon(m): 1:03pm On Mar 07, 2008
How? Like you would any other programming language. No big deal.

I already know PHP. So what can ruby on rails offer that well written PHP can't.

What brought about this issue was that I was going through a topic a while ago and someone indirectly insulted me by saying some other guy knew just plain PHP, no ruby on rails to support. Which is almost like referring to me.

So if I can see the effective use of Ruby on Rails, then I'll start looking into it. If not, I'll just go about what I do best.

So, if u can't find any books, make google your friend,

I'ld really like links to resources if you do have them.

ensure your web host supports it

They definitely do.

and start cranking some good quality code!

Just tell me where to start.
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by my2cents(m): 1:15pm On Mar 07, 2008
Sorry cmon but I haven't used Ruby, yet. What I have heard is that in Ruby, it takes one line of code to do that would take 3 or more in PHP or whatever language.

As far as books, I couldn't help, sorry. Just give it a shot. I am sure there is something out there though. Good luck!
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by naijafan(m): 2:13pm On Mar 07, 2008
my2cents:

What I have heard is that in Ruby, it takes one line of code to do that would take 3 or more in PHP or whatever language.

similar to what i said about ColdFusion the last time there was a thread comparing it with PHP. If that wasnt convincing enuf for CF, i doubt if it would for Ruby lipsrsealed
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by skunk: 6:45pm On Mar 07, 2008
One thing I know for sure is that ruby is the next thing big after php. So, you better learn it quick.
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by cmon(m): 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2008
I really don't want to waist my time studying something that wont make much impact to my skill. However, I'll just take a look at ruby and see what it's got.

Thanks to all your inputs so far.
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by smartsoft(m): 3:41pm On Mar 08, 2008
The nitty-gritty about this is, hmmm okay let just say this way, you know we have differents short-curts to oshodi and also to the Island, so it's left for you to take that place that you know is very good for ya, ! feel me
Re: Why Ruby On Rails? by my2cents(m): 8:46pm On Mar 08, 2008
Smartsoft, based on your analogy, are you sure you are meant for web development and not philosophy? tongue

Back to the brass tacks: cmon, I wouldn't call it a waste of time. You should always aim to improve on your skills. So what? Ruby isn't huge right now but who's to say it won't next year? If you are good at say, PHP, keep doing that but read up on Ruby and maybe even do a few projects in it so that by the time people need experienced developers, you already have the experience they need, as opposed to being a freshly baked loaf of bread.

As always, my 2 cents.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Hosts: Joining Issues / How Good Does Your Website Look In All Browsers? / Domain Transfer Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.