Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,215 members, 7,939,873 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 01:32 PM

HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) (2424 Views)

Mobile App Developer VS Web Developer VS Software Developer / Desktop Application Vs Web Application / Website Vs Web Application. The Difference. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 28, 2013
abeg, people i need some help here! RIGHT NOW!

I have read some articles about why web app options will take other native apps but i need more insights.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Abeg

1 Like

Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by ciphoenix: 8:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
uhmmm, rephrase
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thanks God! cheesy

ok, I was asking: do you think web apps is able to overtake the app market in the near future? If yes, why?
What are the advantages that web apps have and native don't.
What kind of users do u target when developing web apps?
Zuckerberg said betting on HTML5 was facebook biggest mistake. Are web apps not well suited for the kind of company facebook is or did the facebook team just misapplied HTML5?
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
ciphoenix: uhmmm, rephrase

abeg come back na grin
and see how u can reply please, i need to know now now sad
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
CAM can u help abeg grin
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by ciphoenix: 9:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
With the way cloud computing is going HTML5 does have a very bright future. But native apps 'll never go extinct, that's sure.
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
ciphoenix: With the way cloud computing is going HTML5 does have a very bright future. But native apps 'll never go extinct, that's sure.

Native ll never go extinct for sure because it's highly focused and usually perform faster and better. Native also have smoother navigation and can even be accessed when offline. But i do not think the advantages that web apps offer the users are enough to overthrow native apps. I have look for sources to see the adv. of web over native, and most of these articles were biased toward web apps cuz web apps happened to be their center of interests. I need a more objective view. Do you think as a web developer, u ll get more profit, users from web or native in the near future?

From a developer point of view, web app is cheaper, easier to develop, and have a less competitive market

But the user is going to see where he can have higher utility. As a user i think native app is better. That my point of view, because it achieve at least almost all the tasks that web does.
So if most users think like me, app developer only focusing on web, may not attract enough users to cover up their cost no?
would you invest your money in a company that mainly focus on web app development?
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by ciphoenix: 10:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
True it's easier and cheaper to develop and deploy with HTML5. Personally though, i 've never preferred the easier way of doing things (love going low level), so i'll stick with c and asm. Business wise though, HTML5 is the future

1 Like

Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2013
ciphoenix: True it's easier and cheaper to develop and deploy with HTML5. Personally though, i 've never preferred the easier way of doing things (love going low level), so i'll stick with c and asm. Business wise though, HTML5 is the future

thank you for your insights ciphoenix smiley
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by xterra2(m): 12:02am On Jan 29, 2013
Sybellah:
ok, I was asking: do you think web apps is able to overtake the app market in the near future? If yes, why?
Impossible to say, unless we see HTML6 or 7 , HTML5 is really good, but a web app with html5 is a bit limited compared to a native app
Native app also is faster, i have made a web app myself with HTML5,CSS3 and JS but it was a bit slow compared to the native app of the same function which was faster - and again its a bit limited i couldn't do what i wanted to do with the web app

What are the advantages that web apps have and native don't.
with web apps you can target multiple devices,and multiple OS be it desktop OS or mobile OS with a single piece of code, basically WORA[write once read anywhere] while native apps you have to do use a different programming language,tools for each OS you are developing for

-users that wont consume rich contents
-normal computer and phones users, simple for them and works for them, also simple for you since its basically the same code

Zuckerberg said betting on HTML5 was facebook biggest mistake. Are web apps not well suited for the kind of company facebook is or did the facebook team just misapplied HTML5?
Well what Zuckerberg said is incorrect , first all facebook's engineers who developed the html5 app are bad enginners, Fastbook was developed with html5 which infact is faster than facebook native's apps and also better
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 12:53am On Jan 29, 2013
xterra2:
Impossible to say, unless we see HTML6 or 7 , HTML5 is really good, but a web app with html5 is a bit limited compared to a native app
Native app also is faster, i have made a web app myself with HTML5,CSS3 and JS but it was a bit slow compared to the native app of the same function which was faster - and again its a bit limited i couldn't do what i wanted to do with the web app

with web apps you can target multiple devices,and multiple OS be it desktop OS or mobile OS with a single piece of code, basically WORA[write once read anywhere] while native apps you have to do use a different programming language,tools for each OS you are developing for

-users that wont consume rich contents
-normal computer and phones users, simple for them and works for them, also simple for you since its basically the same code

Well what Zuckerberg said is incorrect , first all facebook's engineers who developed the html5 app are bad enginners, Fastbook was developed with html5 which infact is faster than facebook native's apps and also better

cheesy cheesy cheesy
thank you so much for your explanation, very helpful, thank u my dear smiley

I have seen this adv. , and i think this is the most important adv. of web over native.

Also from an investsor perspective, i am really reluctant in investing in a company that mainly focuses on web-push, giving for reason that the native market is too competitive.
I ll be more confident about a company focusing on hybrid apps and native apps, but again hybrid apps need more development. They have more potential, and will most likely outperform the web app.

ZuckerWhatever is an a.s.s grin
i do not really favor him
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 17, 2013
I have changed my mind, Web App na the future tongue
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by elvis10ten(m): 7:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
Sybellah: I have changed my mind, Web App na the future tongue
Web base apps must run on something, either a browser or some other application on a phone which is written natively. The app that runs web based apps will have to be updated regularly right ?. Firstly That shows that NATIVE APPS AND WEB BASED APP HAVE COME TO STAY FOR A LONG TIME. Secondly web based apps will not have some device unique features. Please i said some device unique features. Thirdly, it won't survive in the j2me market if at all there is. WHY: try browsing on a j2me phone with any browser and see how slow the internet is and how annoying java script and a complex website is. Why care about a dying market, trust me it matters. Fourthly The greatest advantage web based app has is wora(write once run anywhere) apart from that native apps are more better. It sacrifices the UX for that. "ANYTHING THAT SACRIFICES THE UX FOR ANY THING IS A TOOL FOR THE LAZY, THE UX IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF AN APPLICATION", hey i didn't say that someone did. Fifth, i will rather access my apps offline than go online, except its really important. Imagine playing real football online ? Developers has been warned against this. There are so many things to say, but i don't want to enter another argument about this. IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN HTML 5 TO DO THE TRICK MAYBE HTML 10. WHAT YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF IS NOT WHICH ONE IS BETTER OR WILL KILL THE OTHER, WHAT YOU SHOULD ASK IS DO I HAVE THE TIME TO DEVELOP FOR ALL OS ? OR DO I HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE A DEVELOPER ?. CAN I DEVELOP FOR ALL PLATFORMS AND UPDATE REGULARLY ?. CAN I SACRIFICE THE UX ?. DOES MY APP REQUIRES LITTLE GRAPHICS(LITTLE OF GAME TYPE OF GRAPHICS) ?. IF ALL YOUR ANSWERS ARE YES THEN USE WEB BASED APPS. I heard some one saying facebook have bad developers, where did you hear it ?

1 Like

Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
elvis10ten: Web base apps must run on something, either a browser or some other application on a phone which is written natively. The app that runs web based apps will have to be updated regularly right ?. Firstly That shows that NATIVE APPS AND WEB BASED APP HAVE COME TO STAY FOR A LONG TIME. Secondly web based apps will not have some device unique features. Please i said some device unique features. Thirdly, it won't survive in the j2me market if at all there is. WHY: try browsing on a j2me phone with any browser and see how slow the internet is and how annoying java script and a complex website is. Why care about a dying market, trust me it matters. Fourthly The greatest advantage web based app has is wora(write once run anywhere) apart from that native apps are more better. It sacrifices the UX for that. "ANYTHING THAT SACRIFICES THE UX FOR ANY THING IS A TOOL FOR THE LAZY, THE UX IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF AN APPLICATION", hey i didn't say that someone did. Fifth, i will rather access my apps offline than go online, except its really important. Imagine playing real football online ? Developers has been warned against this. There are so many things to say, but i don't want to enter another argument about this. IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN HTML 5 TO DO THE TRICK MAYBE HTML 10. WHAT YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF IS NOT WHICH ONE IS BETTER OR WILL KILL THE OTHER, WHAT YOU SHOULD ASK IS DO I HAVE THE TIME TO DEVELOP FOR ALL OS ? OR DO I HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE A DEVELOPER ?. CAN I DEVELOP FOR ALL PLATFORMS AND UPDATE REGULARLY ?. CAN I SACRIFICE THE UX ?. DOES MY APP REQUIRES LITTLE GRAPHICS(LITTLE OF GAME TYPE OF GRAPHICS) ?. IF ALL YOUR ANSWERS ARE YES THEN USE WEB BASED APPS. I heard some one saying facebook have bad developers, where did you hear it ?

Great insight, thank u very much Elvis smiley i ll meditate on some of your points
The reason why i was asking the prob. of success of the web app is for investment purpose

I have read a few articles, where they were saying Facebook did not do well with their web app cuz it has been wrongly engineered....a few developers came out to counterattack Facebook statement about web app inefficacy, with some tangible points. I ll send u some of the sources later if u want

Stay tuned abeg, i ll come back to ask u more
Thanks for your reply, I truly appreciate it wink
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by elvis10ten(m): 9:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
Sybellah:

Great insight, thank u very much Elvis smiley i ll meditate on some of your points
The reason why i was asking the prob. of success of the web app is for investment purpose

I have read a few articles, where they were saying Facebook did not do well with their web app cuz it has been wrongly engineered....a few developers came out to counterattack Facebook statement about web app inefficacy, with some tangible points. I ll send u some of the sources later if u want

Stay tuned abeg, i ll come back to ask u more
Thanks for your reply, I truly appreciate it wink
sorry. Typo. The first three questions should have a NO and the last two a yes.
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by abbyode(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2013
OP, this discussion has been debated extensively some few days ago on this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/1254262/best-both-worlds-html5-mobile

Truth be told, web app that would run on ANY device with all native experiences is the future of software development.

For example, when you log on to channels TV website, there are different icons for various devices like Blackberry, Android, Iphone etc. What happens to a user whose OS is not covered here? Does that mean the site is not meant for him?

I really dont wanna start any kind of argument again, but based on my research so far, html5 is the future.
I am an Alpha five developer, and this is actually one of the selling points for choosing Alpha platform.
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by elvis10ten(m): 9:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
abbyode: OP, this discussion has been debated extensively some few days ago on this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/1254262/best-both-worlds-html5-mobile

Truth be told, web app that would run on ANY device with all native experiences is the future of software development.

For example, when you log on to channels TV website, there are different icons for various devices like Blackberry, Android, Iphone etc. What happens to a user whose OS is not covered here? Does that mean the site is not meant for him?

I really dont wanna start any kind of argument again, but based on my research so far, html5 is the future.
I am an Alpha five developer, and this is actually one of the selling points for choosing Alpha platform.
OK o. I think history is repeating its self. Correct me if am wrong, when java came out with wora(write once run everywhere) am sure most developers dumped c++ for java. What is the result now, they are one of the two most popular languages in the planet. Just like i said correct me if am wrong. And according to the OP she wants to invest in a company that uses web based apps. If that company is in Nigeria, i doubt progress because of our internet state.
Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by ciphoenix: 1:19am On Apr 21, 2013
elvis10ten: OK o. I think history is repeating its self. Correct me if am wrong, when java came out with wora(write once run everywhere) am sure most developers dumped c++ for java. What is the result now, they are one of the two most popular languages in the planet. Just like i said correct me if am wrong. And according to the OP she wants to invest in a company that uses web based apps. If that company is in Nigeria, i doubt progress because of our internet state.
+1 smiley

permit me to say this:
C++ will never die cheesy

1 Like

Re: HELP ASAP! Pros And Cons: Native Vs. Web App (HTML5) by Nobody: 10:03am On Mar 18, 2016
Three years after this debate and HTML5 is doing well, with new features like local storage, canvas and HTML5 API's..a website can be partly dynamic with HTML5 alone..

Web apps can now be used in offline mode without the need of internet access..

HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript can be used to develop full native apps with every feature you can think of, push-notifications, reminders, thanks to new JS frameworks and apps like PhoneGap, Xamarin, CoronaLabs e.t.c.

and HTML5 is still incomplete, we should expect more in the future.

(1) (Reply)

Php Patterns / Auto Respond Message By Using Gmail Smtp For Form Submit / C++ Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.