Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,627 members, 7,918,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:42 PM

Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? (15049 Views)

Photo: Parents Be Careful (viewers Discretion Strongly Adviced) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 2:20am On Jan 31, 2013
It's very embarrassing for any law abiding parent to have a wayward child out of fear that their good name would be dragged in the mud by their actions. Back in Nigeria, the adult son of a high ranking church official was suspected of breaking into my alma mata's chapel and looting items, much to the consternation of my relatives, who wondered breathlessly, "What of his parents"? I simply brushed his involvement aside because of his notorious reputation on campus. It got so worse that according to one of my school mates, his father had threatened to disown him, much to his wife's chagrin (the guy's mom) who cried. Not long ago, a prominent man's daughter recently got a divorce and one of my friends said something to the effect that since her father holds a prominent position in the Church, then perhaps, he ought to have done something (I have forgotten exactly how he paraphrased it, but he sort of held her father accountable particularly since the girl gave birth while she was still a teenager. I disagreed with him.

And my question is this: Should parents be held accountable for the bad actions of their adult children?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by BakersWorld: 5:06am On Jan 31, 2013
Once a child is a certain age whether the parents raised him or her well or not, the child has a choice of which way to go. As they say. You can lead a donky to the river but you cant force the donkey to drink. So no, parents should not be held accountable for their adult children.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Gloriagee(f): 11:45am On Jan 31, 2013
No, except they failed while rearing the kids.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by greatgod2012(f): 12:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
Input determines output!

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 9:18pm On May 28, 2021

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 28, 2021
Any child above 18 is totally responsible for his or her own actions.

I know people who raised their kids properly, but they grew and transformed into something that's entirely different from what their parents envisioned. I can't blame their parents. They gave it their best. The blame is 100% on the so called child.

The parents cannot come and kill themselves.

The only time anyone can apportion any blame to the parents is when they didn't raise the child well in the first place. Like, encouraging the kids to bully others. Encouraging petty stealing, etc.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 28, 2021
grin I just realized that this thread was created before I was born.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Ndipe(m): 7:48am On Oct 19, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 19, 2021
Yes. Because a badly behaved child is usually the outcome of failed parenting.
Even the Bible makes it clear when it says "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up, he'll never depart from it."

When a child ( be it an adult or small child) turns out badly, it's because the parents did not guide them on the right path in life.

Most parents today just bear children but are never actively involved in their upbringing. They leave them to either house helps or grannies who are too weak to handle them properly. Worst still, they send them to boarding schools where they go and join other bad eggs from uncultured homes.

Now, how do you expect such a child to turn out well?

Parents take 90% of the blame or praise for how a child turns out in life.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Brendaniel: 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
This topic is old o...

4 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by arthurwillia(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
See old topic oo

Should a parent be held responsible Yes and No, there are so many factors that lead to social vices in children.. Environmental, parental and so on!!

So if parent didn’t do his/ her diligence that’s a problem
If parent do their diligence and environmental factor finish the person then don’t hold parent responsible

My father use to earn me not to lash girl before I marry, now look at me, by the time I walk from Ikeja under bridge to where I go enter brt, I go Dey see yansh open bressss, go to Twitter na so so free yannsh

How will I overcome that? Abeg I go lash so don’t blame my papa blame me and environment

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by SFSNIPER(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
No
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Yebams: 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
Not at all
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by seunny4lif(m): 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes and No
Some children are pretenders that even at home, they are the holiness children but at campus they are the number 1 from Cultist to Ashewo.
I know few of many friends that their parents can swear on their behalf because they don't their children are smoking or drink or womanizers.

Like me, My parents have never saw me with a girl before, I mean Never, my mom was even telling people that she was so proud of me cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, because as a confirmed Deeper boy, I must be holy cheesy cheesy.

11 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by jumper524(m): 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Nope
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Bohheda: 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes and No
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by layycon: 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yes na
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by JosephXavier: 10:15pm On Apr 04, 2022
Sometimes parents should be blamed for the upbringing of their children but never should they be held accountable

Anybody above the age of 18 should face the consequences, the gain or outcome of their actions

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by jumper524(m): 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
Yeafame:
Abdulmutallab comes to mind
I still wonder how those vibrant's and intelligent boy who loves sport could venture into terrorism.
That guy Wikipedia page made me weep, what a waste.

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Sonnobax15(m): 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
lipsrsealed
Yes... Because many adults wey dey misbehave na as a result of the fact that the parents actually failed to impact good behaviors on dem when dem dey young........In some cases self,you go see where pikin go do bad thing,him papa go para to the extent of say he wor beat am,but the mama go stand her ground say make the papa no touch her pikin undecided

4 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Samirana360(m): 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
No hold their boyfriend responsible
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by mozona(m): 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2022
While growing up yes... But an adult no

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Zurex: 10:17pm On Apr 04, 2022
greatgod2012:
Input determines output!
That's only for computers, God gave us the "Will Power" a child can or is liable to choose his/her path

10 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Babamsa: 10:17pm On Apr 04, 2022
Fúck Buhari

He is a terrorist

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
Peer group have more impact on a kid life than their parents.

9 Likes

Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by b3llo(m): 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
Not in all cases
Re: Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Adult Children's Behavior? by koyyess: 10:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
Some parents pretend alot. They can't be spared some level of criticism.

How can a correct alpha male raise a red piller? Or a feminist raise a fish head?

Not possible at all.

Bullies, thieves, murderers, rapists, child molesters etc all come from disfunctional homes.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

View This Simple 5 Bedroom Duplex Architectural Design / Why Do Kids Hate Their Step Parents? / Why Do Kids Become Bitter Towards Separated Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.