Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,302 members, 7,881,115 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:50 PM

G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage (16366 Views)

World Leaders May Ban Jonathan From G8 Summit / We Must Discuss Nigeria Federation Structure - Gov Mimiko / Can We Please Discuss Nigeria's National Anthem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Builder: 3:36am On Feb 04, 2013
jp philips:

ive not seen any sense in what you said above, attacking Cameron's administration doesn't disprove his assertion so you can spare that for your fellow propagandists,

i agree with your recommendation number one, the rest are mere fantasies, rem. Cameron never said the G8 will map out a guide line on how Nigeria will spend its money, rather you have failed to realize that Nigeria even in our abundance still depend on them for development, that is the point you missed.

Tell me one major project of this administration that is not being funded by foreign loans,

HIV/AIDS, railway projects,Electricity, roads, just mention it, these are basic infrastructures if i still remember vividly.

the time it took you to put up that sermon above, half of it could have given you a proper understanding of what the man is saying.

do you know how much IMF and sundry loans Nigeria is servicing? the 2012 budget earmarked 68billion for servicing loans alone, within this same fiscal year we have borrowed more than $10b from different sources.

trying to ratiocinate that can cause a migraine, now who owns the money you are borrowing? who owns the IMF/world bank loans you are borrowing?

how many times has Nigeria contributed to USAID/UNESCO?UNICEF at al? we are freaking at the receiving end all the time, and the owners of this money are saying that

since we can produce the richest black person in the world, since a mere gov. can be richer than a county in Europe, there is something fundamentally wrong with the same institution always coming to them cap in hand.

The G8 are going to review your access to loans and nothing more. Bro. jo saw nothing good he can do for Nigerians except subsidy removal, do you know why? because it is a requirement for more loans to be given.

your MNC fingers are the most ridiculous, you don't have problems accusing shell of not playing big daddy but you chose to forget that in the JV agreement that brought shell in the first place, someone goes home with 60% of the lot.

with shell's 40% they have succeeded in building a world class institution operating in all crannies of our hemisphere over the years yet, the man with 60% has absolutely nothing to show for it, do you blame Cameron for that?

NNPc with its subsidiary NPDC started 27years ago, today as we speak, they have managed to produce a paltry 100,000bbls/d of crude, shouldn't we be ashamed of our institutions?

its competitor in china (CNPC) this last decade has taken Africa by storm, gaining relevance outside its domain, same can be said of PETROBRAS an off shoot of a fellow developing economy spreading its tentacles and gaining relevance, here at home we have leaders either w@nking with a PIB or a crippled NNPC that cant successfully operate just one facility at owaza or oguta after so many years of disservice,cant you see that there is something fundamentally wrong with your institutions?

we accuse Shell of pollution, environmental degradation et al are they equally responsible for pipeline vandalism? kpo fire nko? Mend attacks nko? or the crude disappear once the pipeline is blown open?

oh!! i almost forgot flaring, this same shell between 2002 to 2006 launched an aggressive AGG campaign geared towards harnessing associated gases, what was NNPC's contribution towards that as the custodian of 60% in our JV agreement? let me guess, buy them beer, ask them to go secure foreign loans, then we pay them with oil later, is that how sane people do business? and you don't see something fundamentally wrong with your institutions?

you talked about better prices for African products, i don't see any sense there, we are active in OPEC where member states use demand and supply forces to regulate prices, that is oil our biggest export, what else do you want the west to do for you? beg you to mechanize your Agriculture? or you want your cassava to be more expensive because you harvested it with a matchete? when a better genetically engineered specie is littered every where looking for patronage? i don't see your point.

or they should beg you to improve your Electricity which has manacled the success of local manufacturing that would spur export, or they should stop you from collecting multiple taxes from petit businesses? or beg you to eradicate corruption the bane of loan accessibility to manufacturers? what exactly do you want them to do for you in this regard?

China realizing how much export means to its economy, keeps their currency weak at all times,which makes their goods cheaper, they didn't stop there, they have close to free shipping services for made in china goods to any destination in the world, is that too much to ask of Nigerian leaders? where is our trade blueprint for the next five years, none, and the ministry in charge of it nko? quietly sleeping. incompetence in all facets of our existence in this country.

Today, China is the world biggest manufacturers, America goes cap in hand asking them to strengthen the yuan because it is suffocating America's exports, do we really need to ask for fair prices if we are good in what we are doing?

look again at our oil, the biggest thing you export, how many indigenous companies can employ indigenous technology to extract that your oil, tell me? how many? you still run to shell, chevron etc to help you extract it then you still have mouth to talk.

your last issue about debt reduction really proved that you didn't understand what this thread is about, who will reduce your loan for you

a) the owner of the money

OR

b) the mad people in power that have no plan for the future of this country?

you are always there to beg and they are always willing to oblige you, Lagos and Abuja have permanent offices for all the donor lobbyists that are rewarded handsomely for the m0r0ns in power to perfect their patronage, who should help you in this case? does IMF tell you to service loans you did not take?

why do you need loans to fund supplementary budget when Cecelia Ibru alone has enough money to buy off a whole street in the united states, that is what the G8 members are concerned about.

five years ago, the Paris club cancelled a lot of debt for us, like you suggested, did it take us how many years to go back to square one? you paid off $12b, they forgave almost that same amount, in less than 5yrs, you have borrowed to the tune of $48b and counting.

there is something fundamentally wrong with your institutions and the G8 wants to figure it out, who knows our revolution can start from there.

reading the above is like reading a comedy script. very funny
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:50am On Feb 04, 2013
Ryabcool: mumu! You are comparing a democratically elected government with military rule. And you call yourself an intellectual. Don't waste your time quoting, I won't even bother to reply you.
His name is confussion 247, so what do you expect from him. He is indeed a mumu.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by COOLDUN: 5:11am On Feb 04, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Where is Beaf and the 40 laptop crew ?

What has Abati and Okupe got to say about this ?

I'm sure retardeen will also set up another committee on the G8 assault on his presidency.

Oga Maku,oya say something na.

You didn’t see their first comments and 40 something likes? They are always first to cry wolves any time an issue is raised about their pay master. I am very sorry to belong to Nigeria with these type of half brained Baboons.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by skyfall: 7:25am On Feb 04, 2013
olas2u:

The Asians also migrate abroad and that did not stop there economies.China benefited from diaspora Chinese who went back home.They also need immigrants that could had value to them as well.The other reason maybe as a result of the structures that were kept after independence.western trained people were preferred by both private and the public sector,till today you can see that effect,so people started to look up to those places for education and some never came back.

You're completely off-point. No point arguing with people like you though.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by anataala: 7:30am On Feb 04, 2013
take dat: Obama is ACN, Cameron CPC and rich Bill Gate, a member of the cabal who are hell bent on embarrassing the good government of GEJ with their imperialist motivations by demanding transparency and accountability from the highly performing GEJ's government. Lol!
Highly corrupt
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Msauza(m): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2013
Symphony007: who ever said we did'nt have problems? We have monumental problems that need an all hands on deck approach by all nigerians to solve...every country has problems, south africa that you spoke of with all his wealth has the highest hiv rate worldwide, checkout the raw poverty that sits in "soweto", russia a member of that G8 is extremely corupt and has more oil than nigeria why are'nt they being asked how their money is spent? Some weeks ago the bbc carried out an experimen on the most traffic congested cities in the world, lagos toped moscow!!..yes, we have problems but we as a people, a nation has to solve them just like china did and today it is sending shock waves around the world, because once again this western nations don't have friends but interest, THEY CAN'T HELP US, WE MUST HELP OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!

Your approach was very irrational and irrelevant. SA might be plagued with problems associated to HIV/AIDS which in my opinion are far from being described to the level of corruption that goes down in Nigeria. The truth of the matter is that such problems do not equate to corruption at all, beside SA is dealing with such problems effectively by ARV treatment programme. There is no excuse why Nigeria is still at the state it find itself in, with the amount of oil it has it supposed to have been much developed with a better infrastructure. Do you think that the outside world is impressed with the way Nigeria runs their financial affairs of enriching few individuals most of whom are politically connected.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by bakynes(m): 8:25am On Feb 04, 2013
Nigerians must come together to fight corruption.Cameron has pointed out the truth we already know but we cannot allow Western Powers to come into our country to dictate to us coz @ the end they will be doing it to their own advantage and racial segregation will start again.On the otherhand, we have the future of this country to protect for the sake of our unborn children.We must take to the streets in peaceful protest for a change and demand for the head of anyone who is found stealing 500K above from any govt office this way everyone will sit up.We must ask for declaration of assets.Declare Salaries and wage package of each Govt officials and weigh it to his or her standard of living and we must also make sure Foreign and local banks refuse any huge sums from any Nigerian govt official.Also,Each years budget must be totally accounted for @ each sector of the economy anyone caught stealing funds will have his or her head rolling. With such conditions given to them we will see better changes in Nigeria but we must take to the streets i call for a Revolution for the sake of our Children unborn
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by pedam: 8:32am On Feb 04, 2013
donchris999: Are this idiots trying to come and plunder our wealth now? They have tried other ways to destabilize nigeria but it aint working. They now want to come directly to our face. They are in iraq, afghanistan, libya,kuwait and now mali. Is nigeria their next target? They only go to rich mineral resources and colonize their wealth all in the name of destabilization of such countries. please, they should do africans a favour of going to war ravaged countries like sudan and congo. Ooh, I forgot those countries don't have mineral resoources. Hmmmmm. Neo-colonialism about too creep in nigeria. Nigeria is their next target.
are you serious?? seems u r an enemy of progress
besides even if dey came n plunder u, u gave dem d reason due to how conspicuously inept n flamboyantly currupt u r
oh please, get a sence of reasoning ya'all
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by pedam: 8:57am On Feb 04, 2013
donchris999: Are this idiots trying to come and plunder our wealth now? They have tried other ways to destabilize nigeria but it aint working. They now want to come directly to our face. They are in iraq, afghanistan, libya,kuwait and now mali. Is nigeria their next target? They only go to rich mineral resources and colonize their wealth all in the name of destabilization of such countries. please, they should do africans a favour of going to war ravaged countries like sudan and congo. Ooh, I forgot those countries don't have mineral resoources. Hmmmmm. Neo-colonialism about too creep in nigeria. Nigeria is their next target.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by ABJay1: 10:27am On Feb 04, 2013
It's about time... grin grin grin grin
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by sammaking(m): 10:53am On Feb 04, 2013
God help Nigeria
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by jpphilips(m): 1:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: Is like the contracts are not going in their favour, Chines and Russians are offering better price than the west.

Days of over-estimating the value of western contracts are over. They west should quote reasonable amount for competitive contracts.

Don't blaspheme nor intimidate our government into submission to your wills and caprices.

I implore you to go back to school so you can trim the rough edges of your enlightenment.
the west have companies that have the highest experience in oil exploration in the world, they employ state of the art technology to ensure a safe delivery of Natural gas.
make no mistakes, thinking that China and Russia are coming with a better deal is very myopic because every sane person with a scintilla of experience in oil exploration will tell you he prefers western corporations over the chincos in terms of;

remuneration of their work force and sundry benefits
State of the art technology for efficient service delivery and maximization of profit
safety of assets and personnel
logistics and planning.

you cannot just throw everything that matters away in your quest for cheaper deals, cheap comes with its challenges by the time it becomes obvious you will be the first to cry.

the switz ADAAX has been sold to Chinese Sinopec, go to ADANGA oil field and see the kinda death trap jackets they have there, compare it with what you see in EXXON or Chevron oil fields, it wont be long before we start counting statistics of how many lives and assets that have been lost, no thanks to your cheap Chinese articles.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Capnd143(m): 1:18pm On Feb 04, 2013
Abbott: Is colomental an english word?
am a linguist! Am sure its swahili
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by jpphilips(m): 1:23pm On Feb 04, 2013
Builder:

reading the above is like reading a comedy script. very funny

even the third law of motion sounded like a joke to the feeble minds, the truth is; the society is not a level play ground so it is perfectly understandable if you fell into the category of the intellectual less privileged.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
micath09: Olas2u or whoever you're, you can watch my post from today; for I'm very much occupied than to trade words like a gopher like you. Your post can undoubtedly tell this. I made it here with the help of God, by sheer hard work, dedication,and education. Besides, I can gracefully give you the address of the Orphanages homes, housing close to 50 children, which by God's Grace, I was instrumental to build in Nigeria; and supported by me over two years now. Not mentioning individuals. I'm contributing to people's lives in my small way before I left Nigeria, and still doing it till God takes my breath. Better go look for something worthwhile to keep busy and stop wasting your precious lives 24hrs on nairaland spewing trash.

I can also give you an address were people are working with out foreign donors.oloshi
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Awoofawo(m): 4:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
Unimke_Ak:

" Mr. Congo DR is the richest country in the world in terms of natural resources"

But Congo is also one of most political unstable in the world!

Have ever wonder why, have ever read about CIA covert operations in Congo?! The reason Congo is perpetual at war with itself, is cause the insatiable thirty for cheap resources west (Slavery Incorporation)!

War is a covert weapon of the west to robs Africa of it natural wealth, don't be fool by west benevolent stance, don't they serve your interest, they are only interest in exploiting you!

It seems some of you haven't learn from history, particularly recent happening around the world.

The west ( US and its allies ) are/were the harbinger of massive suffering, genocides, economy and political exploit, every where they go/went, destruction is their wake!!! sad
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by jpphilips(m): 4:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
Awoofawo:

But Congo is also one of most political unstable in the world!

Have ever wonder why, have ever read about CIA covert operations in Congo?! The reason Congo is perpetual at war with itself, is cause the insatiable thirty for cheap resources west (Slavery Incorporation)!

War is a covert weapon of the west to robs Africa of it natural wealth, don't be fool by west benevolent stance, don't they serve your interest, they are only interest in exploiting you!

It seems some of you haven't learn from history, particularly recent happening around the world.

The west ( US and its allies ) are/were the harbinger of massive suffering, genocides, economy and political exploit, every where they go/went, destruction is their wake!!! sad

what has the west done in any country that PDP has not done to Nigerians
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
Toto Licker:
All those people above who you so eloquently praised would sing a different tune when the next president emerge from their region. Some of those people would die to see Tinubu as president not withstanding the fact he holds the record for looting as a governor. Tribalism is our biggest headache.
DUDE! UR NAME... HAHAHAHA
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Awoofawo(m): 5:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
jp philips:

what has the west done in any country that PDP has not done to Nigerians

This no about what PDP or any political party Mr!

Is about what to expects when the west comes visiting. Don't deceived yourself thinking that their activities would be limit to certain region or ethnic!

At that time, when drones start dropping missiles left-right everywhere, you will comprehend the truth behind the saying " the devil you known is better than.....":>

The best solution to our problem as political entity, is in our own hands, sooner we realize this the better...... The west will only comes to plunder, escalate and exploit our situation!

I made bold to repeat PDP/ political party is not our problem but citizens political apathy, our failing to stand and demand accountability, responsibility is what is killing the country, is what given the politician the boldness to do as they wish!

1 Like

Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by LOIUSXIV: 6:03pm On Feb 04, 2013
a million gbosas for MR. CAMERON who never shies awy from the truth as bitter as it often tastes.i was impressed by his RECENT UK-E.U referendum speech.he is not a coward like the effeminate-G.E.J who is not in control of his govtG.E.J even finds it even impossible to put the financiallly reckless wife under check.such Jonathan leadership continues to magnify the disgrace and shame of the black race.anyone that thinks this cowardly-adminisrartion would efficiently cut poverty as 'LULA' did in BRAZIL, NEEDS A PSYCHIATRIC TEST.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Awoofawo(m): 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
AMERICA IS ADDICTED AND DEPENDENT ON SLAVERY!

The prison industry in the United States: big business or a new form of slavery?

The prison industry in the United States: big business or a new form of slavery? by Vicky Pelaez
Human rights organizations, as well as political and social ones, are condemning what they are calling a new form of inhumane exploitation in the United States, where they say a prison population of up to 2 million - mostly Black and Hispanic - are working for various industries for a pittance.

For the tycoons who have invested in the prison industry, it has been like finding apot of gold. They don't have to worry about strikes or paying unemployment insurance, vacations or comp time. All of their workers are full-time, and never arrive late or are absent because of family problems; moreover, if they don't like the pay of 25 cents an hour and refuse to work, they are locked up in isolation cells.

There are approximately 2 millioninmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country. According to California Prison Focus, "no other society in human history has imprisoned so many of its own citizens." The figures show that the United States has locked up more peoplethan any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the world's prison population, but only 5% of the world's people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million.

Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates.

It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.
What has happened over the last 10 years? Why are there so many prisoners?

"The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up.

Prisons depend on this income. Corporate stockholders who make money off prisoners' work lobby for longer sentences, in order to expand their workforce.
The system feeds itself," says a study by the Progressive Labor Party, which accuses the prison industry of being "an imitation of Nazi Germany with respect to forced slave labor and concentration camps."
The prison industry complex is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and its investors are on Wall Street. "This multimillion-do llar industry has its own trade exhibitions, conventions, websites, and mail-order/ Internetcatalogs.

It also has direct advertising campaigns, architecture companies, construction companies, investment houses on Wall Street,plumbing supply companies, foodsupply companies, armed security, and padded cells in a large variety of colors."
According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/ microphones/ speakers; and 21% of office furniture.
Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people

CRIME GOES DOWN, JAIL POPULATION GOES UP

According to reports by human rights organizations, these are the factors that increase the profit potential for those who invest in the prison industry complex:
Jailing persons convicted of non-violent crimes, and long prison sentences for possession of microscopic quantities of illegal drugs. Federal law stipulates five years' imprisonment without possibility of parole for possession of 5 grams of crack or 3.5 ounces of heroin, and 10 years for possession of less than 2ounces of rock-cocaine or crack. A sentence of 5 years for cocaine powder requires possession of 500 grams - 100 times more thanthe quantity of rock cocaine for the same sentence.
Most of those who use cocaine powder are white, middle-class or rich people,while mostly Blacks and Latinos use rock cocaine. In Texas, a person may be sentenced for up to two years' imprisonment for possessing 4 ounces of marijuana.
Here in New York, the 1973 Nelson Rockefeller anti-drug law provides for a mandatory prison sentence of 15 years to life for possession of 4 ounces of any illegal drug.
. The passage in 13 states of the"three strikes" laws (life in prison after being convicted of three felonies), made it necessary to build 20 new federal prisons. One of the most disturbing cases resulting from this measure was that of a prisoner who for stealing a car and two bicycles received three 25-year sentences long sentences.

P.S. Continue in next post
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Awoofawo(m): 6:27pm On Feb 04, 2013
The passage of laws that requireminimum sentencing, without regard for circumstances.
. A large expansion of work by prisoners creating profits that motivate the incarceration of more people for longer periods oftime.
. More punishment of prisoners, so as to lengthen their sentences.
HISTORY OF PRISON LABOR IN THE UNITED STATES
Prison labor has its roots in slavery. After the 1861-1865 Civil War, a system of "hiring out prisoners" was introduced in order to continue the slavery tradition. Freed slaves were charged with not carrying out their sharecropping commitments(cultivating someone else's land in exchange for part of the harvest) or petty thievery - whichwere almost never proven - and were then "hired out" for cotton picking, working in mines and building railroads. From 1870 until 1910 in the state of Georgia,88% of hired-out convicts were Black. In Alabama, 93% of "hired-out" miners were Black. In Mississippi, a huge prison farm similar to the old slave plantations replaced the system of hiring out convicts. The notorious Parchman plantation existed until 1972.
During the post-Civil War period, Jim Crow racial segregation laws were imposed on every state, with legal segregation in schools, housing, marriages and many other aspects of daily life. "Today,a new set of markedly racist laws is imposing slave labor and sweatshops on the criminal justice system, now known as theprison industry complex," comments the Left Business Observer.

Who is investing? At least 37 states have legalized the contracting of prison labor by private corporations that mount their operations inside state prisons. The list of such companies contains the cream of U.S. corporate society: IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T,Wireless, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard , Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom's, Revlon, Macy's, Pierre Cardin, Target Stores, and many more. All of these businesses are excited about the economic boom generation by prison labor. Just between 1980 and 1994, profits went up from$392 million to $1.31 billion. Inmates in state penitentiaries generally receive the minimum wage for their work, but not all; in Colorado, they get about $2 perhour, well under the minimum. And in privately-run prisons, they receive as little as 17 cents per hour for a maximum of six hours a day, the equivalent of $20 per month. The highest-paying private prison is CCA in Tennessee,where prisoners receive 50 cents per hour for what they call"highly skilled positions." At thoserates, it is no surprise that inmates find the pay in federal prisons to be very generous. There, they can earn $1.25 an hour and work eight hours a day, and sometimes overtime. They can send home $200-$300 per month.

Thanks to prison labor, the UnitedStates is once again an attractive location for investment in work that was designed for Third World labor markets. A company that operated a maquiladora (assembly plant in Mexico near the border) closed down its operations there and relocated toSan Quentin State Prison in California. In Texas, a factory firedits 150 workers and contracted the services of prisoner-worker s from the private Lockhart Texas prison, where circuit boards are assembled for companies like IBMand Compaq.
[Former] Oregon State Representative Kevin Mannix recently urged Nike to cut its production in Indonesia and bringit to his state, telling the shoe manufacturer that "there won't be any transportation costs; we'reoffering you competitive prison labor (here)."

PRIVATE PRISONS
The prison privatization boom began in the 1980s, under the governments of Ronald Reagan and Bush Sr., but reached its height in 1990 under William Clinton, when Wall Street stocks were selling like hotcakes. Clinton's program for cutting the federal workforce resulted in the Justice Departments contracting of private prison corporations for the incarceration of undocumented workers and high-security inmates.
Private prisons are the biggest business in the prison industry complex. About 18 corporations guard 10,000 prisoners in 27 states. The two largest are Correctional Corporation of America (CCA) and Wackenhut, which together control 75%. Private prisons receive a guaranteed amount of money foreach prisoner, independent of what it costs to maintain each one. According to Russell Boraas, a private prison administrator in Virginia, "the secret to low operating costs is having a minimal number of guards for themaximum number of prisoners." The CCA has an ultra-modern prison in Lawrenceville, Virginia, where five guards on dayshift and two at night watch over 750 prisoners. In these prisons, inmates may get their sentences reduced for "good behavior," but for any infraction, they get 30 days added - which means more profits for CCA. According to a study of New Mexico prisons, it was found that CCA inmates lost"good behavior time" at a rate eight times higher than those in state prisons.

P.S.=>
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Awoofawo(m): 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
IMPORTING AND EXPORTING INMATES

http://www.reunionblackfamily.com/apps/blog/show/9989931-the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery

http://m.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reunionblackfamily.com%2Fapps%2Fblog%2Fshow%2F9989931-the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery&h=JAQHgz1vA&enc=AZP8aa3L_zN5AL3USiQHVRhFn8HqH5Rcf-6vVwEdYkON51R3nhvDNdQKk5E9lQxAWKJEw6vFWT7GgTpN7Dmjpo8kAUWZ-1wT4pyhruDJlR_RIK1_ZJzl9RPac24XSRxZ2rhg3o2aCOKEoANsKfXYJjTj&s=1

This American Dream for all America do-goodish here. Your soul aren't worth a penny to Uncle Sam and Mama Charles!
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by mo10(m): 7:29pm On Feb 04, 2013
jp philips: gues u got me all wrong. Take time to read before making comments

young man it does, let me suppose you are a sadist or perhaps a direct beneficiary of the said malfeasance,

do you know how much this country receives in aids and grants from these same people you think its not their business?

take this as an example, how can USAID give Nigeria $2b to fight malaria, yet Nigeria makes $2b in less than a week in oil sales alone.

what this great minds are trying to say is this;

they need a strategy of accountability for developing economies who still have viable sources of income, because if that is achieved they will spend less in giving them aids and grants.

the western world want to save their money and they know they can achieve that by helping developing economies fight corruption.

it is sardonic that the average Nigerian does not really understand how much they have lost in the hands of corruption, needless to point that bigotry and other social ills have blinded them completely from the obvious truth.

Now i don't want the G8 to stop there,

i want a situation where all the world creditors will blacklist Nigeria from accessing international grants and loans, This ban will be gradually lifted as soon as a responsible government is accountable as to how he spends his own money.

you cant ask the white man to help you with money when you use yours to dance "Azonto" in the market square, it is ridiculous and the G8 is now ready to deal with it.

the sour end of that road is that we pile up so much debt that even generations unborn cannot offset them. imagine where your debt is bigger than your so called foreign reserve, that is why our economy is not progressive.

Obasanjo paid off the paris club debt with $12b in raw cash, now imagine what that whooping sum could have achieved in this economy. the Govt that succeeded obasanjo did not wait 6 months to incur 2 times the Paris club debt, can you imagine that?

on a lighter note, please G8 as a personal favor to me, launch a covert operation that will disintegrate the PDP just like the soviet USSR, that will significantly reduce the level of corruption in Nigeria,

for the biggest political party in Africa to dip hands in a country's foreign reserve to pursue an election agenda, is not just a slap to the Nigerian people but also an affront to our sensibilities.
surely, Nigeria has a lot of economic terrorists and the United Nations security council should as matter of urgency invoke a near PATRIOT ACT for the annihilation of these goons that lead Nigeria

so help me God
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Vires: 11:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ijogz K: Is it their Money or Oil? Abeg free us jor,

Are we complaining?

shouldnt we?

1 Like

Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Dibiachukwu: 11:38pm On Feb 04, 2013
jp philips:

young man it does, let me suppose you are a sadist or perhaps a direct beneficiary of the said malfeasance,

do you know how much this country receives in aids and grants from these same people you think its not their business?

take this as an example, how can USAID give Nigeria $2b to fight malaria, yet Nigeria makes $2b in less than a week in oil sales alone.

what this great minds are trying to say is this;

they need a strategy of accountability for developing economies who still have viable sources of income, because if that is achieved they will spend less in giving them aids and grants.

the western world want to save their money and they know they can achieve that by helping developing economies fight corruption.

it is sardonic that the average Nigerian does not really understand how much they have lost in the hands of corruption, needless to point that bigotry and other social ills have blinded them completely from the obvious truth.

Now i don't want the G8 to stop there,

i want a situation where all the world creditors will blacklist Nigeria from accessing international grants and loans, This ban will be gradually lifted as soon as a responsible government is accountable as to how he spends his own money.

you cant ask the white man to help you with money when you use yours to dance "Azonto" in the market square, it is ridiculous and the G8 is now ready to deal with it.

the sour end of that road is that we pile up so much debt that even generations unborn cannot offset them. imagine where your debt is bigger than your so called foreign reserve, that is why our economy is not progressive.

Obasanjo paid off the paris club debt with $12b in raw cash, now imagine what that whooping sum could have achieved in this economy. the Govt that succeeded obasanjo did not wait 6 months to incur 2 times the Paris club debt, can you imagine that?

on a lighter note, please G8 as a personal favor to me, launch a covert operation that will disintegrate the PDP just like the soviet USSR, that will significantly reduce the level of corruption in Nigeria,

for the biggest political party in Africa to dip hands in a country's foreign reserve to pursue an election agenda, is not just a slap to the Nigerian people but also an affront to our sensibilities.
surely, Nigeria has a lot of economic terrorists and the United Nations security council should as matter of urgency invoke a near PATRIOT ACT for the annihilation of these goons that lead Nigeria

so help me God
rubbish. If they want to help us, they should stop lending money to criminals. And mind their business.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 05, 2013
So we made about $100 billion dollar last year from Crude oil alone? This is double the Naira equivalent of our annual budget and yet the FG said we're broke and fuel subsidy has to be removed! They don't pay for fuel, but made us pay more for it. They roads are bad and the rail system ain't functioning, yet the presidency has 10 planes. An average Nigerian survives on less than $1 per day, but the presidency spends nothing less than #3million everyday on food and still complains it's not enough. Many Nigerians don't have good shelters, and at the same time, the first lady can't sleep in his husband's room again and so, billions of Naira has to go for building her lodge. This is a country where someone will loot billions and he'll pay a fine of less than a million and go home free and another man steals a bread and compulsorily serve a jail term. We, concerned citizens are watching and it's just a matter of time before our patience reach the limit. By then, there will be no hiding place for any corrupt person except the grave.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Vires: 12:13am On Feb 05, 2013
ROSSIKE: Hang on a second here. David Cameron and his friends can end corruption in Nigeria TODAY if they wished. All they need do is summon their various banks - Natwest, RBS, Barclays etc, and instruct them to RETURN the looted wealth sitting in their accounts not just from Nigeria, but from other countries like China, Russia, Congo etc. They can summon the bosses of Shell, Exxon Mobil, etc to account for oil proceeds and easily check the money trail - who paid what to whom, when, and how etc.

HAS CAMERON DONE ANY OF THIS?

HELL NO!

IT'S MUCH EASIER FOR HIM TO PLAY THE 'WHITE SAINT' ON THE INTERNATIONAL STAGE TO FOOL GULLIBLE NIGERIANS AND THE LIKE SUCH AS HAVE BEEN POSTING THEIR SLAVISH GARBAGE HERE.

I mean really, HOW STU.PID CAN YOU NIGERIANS BE, REALLY?

It's like an armed robber who goes around stealing, and then deposits the money and loot in his Mr Big's house. The following week Mr Big issues a statement that ''all this robbery going on is not good o! What do we do about it?''

And then some DUNCES (eg NL posters) start praising Mr Big, saying he 'cares' for the victims of those robberies. If only the robbers can stop robbing people!

I mean, HOW STUP.ID AND DUMB CAN YOU GUYS BE, REALLY? OR ARE YOU CURSED?

HOW CAN YOU TAKE THE WORDS OF CAMERON WITH EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF SERIOUSNESS??

even if d West was stealing from Nigeria, nobody can steal from Nigeria unleash Nigerians allow them
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Dibiachukwu: 12:40am On Feb 05, 2013
Euroasians should mind their business. We don't need their help or aid. Why is this so hard for them to understand.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by confusion247(m): 6:41am On Feb 05, 2013
Ryabcool: mumu! You are comparing a democratically elected government with military rule. And you call yourself an intellectual. Don't waste your time quoting, I won't even bother to reply you.
Too bad that your wise brain never recognized that OBJ spend the money as a democratically elected govt. You will not reply because your brain can't reason in the right direction.
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
To those that seem to think my view on reparations is strange, look at the Jews being paid off by Germany and Koreans being paid off by Japan. Even if there's a time limit on righting wrongs, my view is my view. As for the person saying im dimb, share your opinion and lets decide if its less dumb lol
Re: G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage by jaso1(m): 12:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
Majority of those who make no sense here are Igbo! This ethnic is something else in this entity call Nigeria. I'm speaking from experience and i have all facts to say this.
When Obj was in power his finance minister and CBN governor were Igbo, but immediately you have Igbo blood in the name of Azikwe we started having otherwise. This is more reason the race has long being denied opportunity to rule because they’re too tribal. This habit must be check and corrected if this race must move forward, it’s excessive and inimical.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gloria Okolie: Court Grants Bail To ‘ESN Operative’s Girlfriend’ Detained By IRT / APC Crisis: Bello’s Camp Counters Buni Over Transfer Of Power / Bomb Blast At Area 10 In Abuja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.