Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,342 members, 7,913,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 12:43 PM

Karma And Evolution - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Karma And Evolution (1282 Views)

Karma And Curses / Exposé On The Laws Of Reincarnation,karma And Return. / Who The Hell Said The Big Bang And Evolution Explain Life??????? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Karma And Evolution by luvus: 9:36am On Mar 10, 2008
Hi all

please i need athiest to answer the following for me.

i was wondering in this form. i know i did terrible things and i have a hunch that it can come back to haunt me sometimes later. (For instance, like Imelda of philipine currently facing charges of embezzelment in philipine). please athiest [b]how can i evolve [/b]so that when such should come, i will not experience the consequence. that is now that am a man done terrible things, i want to evolve to something say tree so that when the consequence come, it wont met me.

so please i want to evolve, how?
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 10:06am On Mar 10, 2008
This is not the sort of issues evolutionist address.  However, if you want to learn about evolution, why don't you get a good biology book. There are many out there.  Or you could watch the videos of Kenneth Miller, Francis Collins on Youtube.

Your question suggest you are ignorant about evolution. Ignorance by itself is not a bad thing and noone can be knowledgeable in everything there is to know. But WILLFUL IGNORANCE is the bane of many of the critics of evolution, as they deliberately seek to ignore or falsify the facts of evolution.

Given the opportunity and your mental capabilities, if you refuse to learn about evolution then I would classify you as wilfully ignorance. And that is a great insult.
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 11:57am On Mar 10, 2008
hi tpain

for me its not an insult but a way of understanding your mind. well since evolutionist have almost all answers to everything, and that God doesnt exist from their so called scientific analysis and to which to hold so strongly, why dont you do justice to this issue at least, shed some light to it.

This is not the sort of issues evolutionist address. so there are issues u choose to agddress and other u choose not. well it seems evolution is limited in the scope of what it handles. it can handle that God doesnt exist yet cant answer this simple request from a wilful ignoramus. enlightene us please!

i passed my biology 10 years ago and evolution never meant a thing to me it was just issues full stop. could u be patient to narate vividly what evolution is in simple words then.
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 12:18pm On Mar 10, 2008
Thankz. First I MUST commend your desire to learn and learning should be viewed as an all-life process. I too had very rudimentary education in evolution in secondary school, but have since been reading up on the subject a great deal recently.

Here is what I shall do. Rather than go straight into the core of evolution, I would like you to consider a few questions and do some research to prepare your mind for the mainstay of the subject matter.  Can you seek out answers to the following questions, please?  Once you have got the answers, then we can begin talking about evolution.

1-)  What is the speed of light?  How long does it take the light from the sun to reach the earth?
2-)  What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis in the scientific sense?
3-)  Have you ever heard about the germ theory of disease, the theory of gravity?
4-)  What are stromatolites?
5-)  How old is the earth?
6-)  What is the end-permian extinction and what proportion of life went extinct?
7-)  How long ago were dinosaurs wiped out?
8-)  Do you know what asteroid impact of the earth are?
9-)  Can you give a rough estimate of the number of stars on our galaxy, the Milky Way?
10-) Do you know what chromosomes and DNA are.  Can you name any "genetic disease"?
11-)  On the whole, do you think science and technology provides solutions to human problems?
12-)  Have you ever visted a museum?
13-)  What are fossils?
14-)  What is the geological column?
15-)  What is the theory of plate tectonic?
16-)  How is petroleum fuel formed and how long is the process?

You can get all this information from good science books AND from the internet.   For each answer, can you give an idea of the level of confidence you have for the reliability of the answer. For instance, I could say that I am 100% confident that 2+1=3.

Once you have considered these questions, then we can talk about evolution.

Regards, and looking forward to your response.
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 12:38pm On Mar 10, 2008
HI

went thru your list but sorry i missed out on issues that are beyound evolution such as karma and evolution. please cant you just lets shorten it to just this space of my question and all the above issues can be discussed as you answer?

thanks
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 12:59pm On Mar 10, 2008
luvus:

HI

went through your list but sorry i missed out on issues that are beyound evolution such as karma and evolution. please can't you just lets shorten it to just this space of my question and all the above issues can be discussed as you answer?

thanks

Sorry, I know these are lots of "difficult" question. But I wanted you to do some thinking first before addressing the subject of evolution.

In my experience as an educator, a lot of people reject evolution (and other theories) because of insufficient grounding in the basic sciences.  Am afraid you run the risk of doing the same if your understanding of the basics is not solid.

Give it a try. Ok, why don't you attempt just any 4 questions. Then I shall show you my hand.

Good Luck.
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 1:24pm On Mar 10, 2008
hi

are u still trying to dodge my request? remember am a willful ignoramus and i just want you to discuss evolution in relation to karma as i earlier stated. u see going thru the history, the y of evolution is quite borring but if u want to engage me i feel the best way is to apply it with respect to karma or more prceisely to my earlier question.

thanks
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 1:33pm On Mar 10, 2008
luvus:

hi

are u still trying to dodge my request? remember am a willful ignoramus and i just want you to discuss evolution in relation to karma as i earlier stated. u see going through the history, the y of evolution is quite borring but if u want to engage me i feel the best way is to apply it with respect to karma or more prceisely to my earlier question.

thanks

I am not trying to avoid your question. Like I said in my first post, evolution has no jurisdiction in your karma stuff whatsoever. Just as evolution says nothing about the astrology, star formation, carpentry and your dinner tonight.

You have made an erroneous link and are asking me to explain this bogus link. How do you expect me to explain it.

Evolution resides in the domain of science; karma is not sicence. as simple as that.

If you really want to learn about evolution pursue the questions I have given you, or else remain in your ignorance. You can still life a fulfilled life in blissful ignorance. But that is not my approach to life. I enjoy life best my learning and investigating the nature of reality objectively.
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 2:07pm On Mar 10, 2008
hi

Like I said in my first post, evolution has no jurisdiction in your karma stuff whatsoever. Just as evolution says nothing about the astrology, star formation, carpentry and your dinner tonight.

now if evolution has no jurisdiction over karma, how do u think it has a say on my origin?
why cant it say on astrology, star formation?

Ignorans u say is blisssssssss!? grin

well if evolution has nothing to say on an issue of life such as karma which we see around us (i gave u instance of imelida of philipine as a case in point), then evolution is at best a farce since it assumes so much yet cant answer this simple question at least try.

ok do u believe in karma, evolution theory aside? lets be rational abi?
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 2:10pm On Mar 10, 2008
Can you explain what you mean by karma?
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 2:38pm On Mar 10, 2008
ok

what u do as an individual good or bad, its consequence will come back to u.
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 2:43pm On Mar 10, 2008
luvus:

ok

what u do as an individual good or bad, its consequence will come back to u.

Is this karma? Science makes no jurisdiction over this area, as far a I know. Why do you think this should have a link with evolution?

Does this have a link with the theory of disease, or gravity or the law of supply and demand? If it does, why don't you question these other well established theories?
Re: Karma And Evolution by bawomolo(m): 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2008
lol this is ridiculous
Re: Karma And Evolution by KAG: 5:12pm On Mar 10, 2008
I'll take "Why do people laugh at Creationists?" for $64,000, Alex.
Re: Karma And Evolution by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 11, 2008
AEITHEIST Vs EVOLUTIONALISTS!! The battle has just begun. You guys shd take a breaks please, why torture yourselves over things you cannot understand
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 4:07pm On Mar 11, 2008
hi
grin grin grin grin grin grin

yeap laf at the creationsit lol

Is this karma? Science makes no jurisdiction over this area, as far a I know. Why do you think this should have a link with evolution?

Does this have a link with the theory of disease, or gravity or the law of supply and demand? If it does, why don't you question these other well established theories?

ok enof of the lafta. so if evolution can not lay hold on issues of karma, and evolution assumes it doesnt exist [/b]and [b]cannot define it [/b]yet we [b]see (bot u and me) it at work whether we choose to believe it or not; then what right have u to determine based on the limitedness of man to determine that GOD doesnt exist?? becos u cant scientifically prove it so it doesnt exist

u see evolution is still a farce, what it cant prove, it assumes doesnt exist and that is way too bad,

ok how can u diddrenetiate between good and evil, is there a scientific parameter
lets say osama is bad, how do u know he is bad, u scientifically prove his bad
ie scientically;

osama is bad because x*2/hu6*pot-56=bang bang ^2222222222222222222222222??

so u see so many things like karma that evolutionist can only rattle but it continue to exist irrespective of whether u choose to accept it or not. period
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 4:26pm On Mar 11, 2008
luvus:

hi
grin grin grin grin grin grin

yeap laf at the creationsit lol

ok enof of the lafta. so if evolution can not lay hold on issues of karma, and evolution assumes it doesnt exist [/b]and [b]cannot define it [/b]yet we [b]see (bot u and me) it at work whether we choose to believe it or not; then what right have u to determine based on the limitedness of man to determine that GOD doesnt exist?? because u can't scientifically prove it so it doesnt exist

u see evolution is still a farce, what it can't prove, it assumes doesnt exist and that is way too bad,

ok how can u diddrenetiate between good and evil, is there a scientific parameter
lets say osama is bad, how do u know he is bad, u scientifically prove his bad
ie scientically;

osama is bad because x*2/hu6*pot-56=bang bang ^2222222222222222222222222??

so u see so many things like karma that evolutionist can only rattle but it continue to exist irrespective of whether u choose to accept it or not. period

abi, how old u dey? you need to go back to school, u know. my goodness, are u able to function in this world?
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 10:33am On Mar 12, 2008
abi, how old u dey? you need to go back to school, u know. my goodness, are u able to function in this world?

Oh so is the issue of school ehh. no problem i am still educating myself on the farce called EVOLUTION. moreover i de fxn very well well.

u see even though it may sound foolish, but the truth is that evolution is just another human errors that have been going on for sometime now. and it believes that wat we have here is just a "random reaction" of some sort giving rise to what we have today as the earth.

now in the world we are living in which evolution assumes that it randomly occured, evolution cannot prove karma nor disprove its existence yet we see it happening all around us.

so in conclusion, i believe that what evolution cant prove using its assumed science, it concludes doesnt exist hence has no right to say God doesnt exist. i will be a daft to accept evolution. period
Re: Karma And Evolution by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 12, 2008
luvus:
so in conclusion, i believe that what evolution can't prove using its assumed science, it concludes doesnt exist hence has no right to say God doesnt exist. i will be a daft to accept evolution. period

I have been saying --- evolution is a religion, a dogmatic religion with many many dogmas and scanty evidence.

Its followers are scientists urging us to accept their dogmas based solely on their scientific authority.

If anyone has to make an act of faith, it is better to believe in the One God that in the confused theory of evolution.
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 10:51am On Mar 12, 2008
imhotep:

I have been saying --- evolution is a religion, a dogmatic religion with many many dogmas and scanty evidence.

Its followers are scientists urging us to accept their dogmas based solely on their scientific authority.

If anyone has to make an act of faith, it is better to believe in the One God that in the confused theory of evolution.

Sort this one out. Why did the Catholic authorites accept evolution? Are you saying there is now two "religions" within catholiticism?
Re: Karma And Evolution by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 12, 2008
tpaine:

Sort this one out. Why did the Catholic authorites accept evolution? Are you saying there is now two "religions" within catholiticism?

"Theories of evolution which, because of the philosophies which inspire them, regard the spirit either as emerging from the forces of living matter, or as a simple epiphenomenon of that matter, are incompatible with the truth about man."
--John Paul II
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 11:10am On Mar 12, 2008
hi imotep

i simply asked them the darwin cohorts a question how i can evolve into a tree to avoid the consequence of wat i had previously done, yet they cant give an answer and say evolution has no jurisdiction over karma yet we see it in action all around us. but they have the guts to claim God (have mercy on their souls) doesnt exist

i rather believe in God and be foolish a willing ignoramus to the atheist than to believe in evolution. at least since i acknowledge God, i have a responsibility to be careful in all i do to avoid negative consequnces.
Re: Karma And Evolution by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 12, 2008
luvus:

hi imotep

i simply asked them the darwin cohorts a question how i can evolve into a tree to avoid the consequence of what i had previously done, yet they can't give an answer and say evolution has no jurisdiction over karma yet we see it in action all around us. but they have the guts to claim God (have mercy on their souls) doesnt exist

i rather believe in God and be foolish a willing ignoramus to the atheist than to believe in evolution. at least since i acknowledge God, i have a responsibility to be careful in all i do to avoid negative consequnces.

I agree with u 101%.

In fact, in an older thread, they could neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

See ----> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-111057.0.html
Re: Karma And Evolution by tpaine: 11:24am On Mar 12, 2008
In a the modern world, the creationist have been so mal-educated they could not formulate simply hypothesis to investigate the following;

1) A clearing in the woods

You walk 10 miles into a dense forest and find a clearing in the woods where once there might have been a tree. But the tree is nowhere to be found by simple naked-eye inspection. There were no eye witnesses of witness the falling and rotting away (or carting off) of the tree. Say, you arrive at the scene 1 - 5 years after the clearing appeared. Is it possible to formulate a hypothesis to determine what happened at this location?

2) The site of a car crash.

You are a forensic car accident investigator. You arrive at the scene of a hit-and-run accident, with the car having hit a road-traffic installations and there are no eye-witnesses. The culprit car has been driven away from the scene of the crash. Is it possible to formulate a hypothesis to explain the plausible set of explanations as to the damage to the road installation?

3) You drive your car to the petrol filling station to top up on fuel and your 10 year old child asks you, "Daddy, where does petroleum fuel come from?" Can you formulate a hypothesis to investigate the process of the formation of petroleum fuels?

4) You take you prospective wife to a jewery store to put an engagement ring on her finger. Your partner is not very knowledgeable about sciences but she adores diamond. You also adore her; so will not begrudge her ignorance of these esoteric matters of sciences. Upon arrival home, she is delighted with the diamond, but asks you how these stones are formed. Can you formulate a hypothesis to investigate the formation of diamonds naturally? Do you think these natural processes could be artificially mimicked in the labs today?
Re: Karma And Evolution by donjava(m): 12:13pm On Mar 12, 2008
cool
Hello every1,
how are you all doing?What an Interesting Topic "Karma And Evolution" my only opinion,just an opinion is for People generally to liberate their minds,I believe in Karma and Evolution,b'cos they factual,but the Religious showrooms have failed to elighten their followers on these important issues that plays an important part in every Human Soul,those on Matter and those in the Great Beyond,though they cases in the Bible and Koran that did explain about it,the Bringers of these Messages,which Man has now turned into Religion intended that Man should free himself from the confusion that he blindly follows.

Please examine,and exact yourself!
Re: Karma And Evolution by KAG: 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2008
luvus:

hi imotep

i simply asked them the darwin cohorts a question how i can evolve into a tree to avoid the consequence of what i had previously done, yet they can't give an answer and say evolution has no jurisdiction over karma yet we see it in action all around us. but they have the guts to claim God (have mercy on their souls) doesnt exist

First, you can't evolve into a tree because you are *gasp* an animal. Take some time to think about it.

Second, the theory of evolution deals with the genetic and phenotypic changes in species. It doesn't care about human philosphies. You might as well ask how the theory of relativity can make you stop cheating your spouse, for all the lack of sense you're making.

Finally, accepting the theory of evolution isn't a necessary action for atheists and atheism. Fact is, many atheists existd before the formulation of the theory of evolution, and a few non-theists still don't accept evolution.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

imhotep:

"Theories of evolution which, because of the philosophies which inspire them, regard the spirit either as emerging from the forces of living matter, or as a simple epiphenomenon of that matter, are incompatible with the truth about man."
--John Paul II

you realise that he was opposing just, what one might term, atheistic evolution, and not the theor of evolution itself, right? John Paul II was a theistic evolutionist.

imhotep:

I agree with u 101%.

In fact, in an older thread, they could neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.

See ----> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-111057.0.html

First, that no tangible evidence exists foe the existence of gods, that they are always hidden behind the recesses in knowledge, and that for things with so many allocated properties they cannot be potentially tested or falsified in any way, indicates that gods, including the Christian one, are imaginary. To quote Anthony Flew, "Just how does what you call an invisible, intangible, eternally elusive [god] differ from an imaginary [god] or even from no [god] at all?" [1]. Furthermore, since we can deduce the reasons for why humans may have needed to create gods, and strongly infer how the gods could have come into being as a result of human agents, we can further still see why the gods are imaginary

Secondly, god by its very definition is of a mythological nature. To ask that I prove that a god is mythological is to misunderstand what the terms imply. so, unless you have positive evidence you've been keeping secret, god belongs to mythology [2].

Finally, like I said on numerous occasions, science doesn't do proofs. Alcoholics who practise science may, but science doesn't. What can be shown though is the likelihood of something or the other. by the way, were you seriously asking me to use science to prove an unevidenced god is mythological?

____________________________________________________________ __________________________________

[1] Flew, Anthony, "Theology and Falsification", from: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/flew_falsification.html

[2] Meaning of mythology and its implications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2008
hi kag
First, you can't evolve into a tree because you are *gasp* an animal. Take some time to think about it.

mmmh! but since all according to evolution came as result of the big bang, that should not stop me from changing since as u claim we are from same source abi?. abi going by the mundane theory of evoluton and by the way am no animal whatsover

Second, the theory of evolution deals with the genetic and phenotypic changes in species. It doesn't care about human philosphies. You might as well ask how the theory of relativity can make you stop cheating your spouse, for all the lack of sense you're making.

sorry that is why evolution is pathetic, animals dont need karma and that is what evolution wants me to accept that i am an animal? and u know what, since animals dont recognise nor experienc karma, they live any how which is what atheist want us to accept, asssuring us that there is no consequence. but check history u will see that karma exist and there is consequence. eg imeldia of philipine, govnor of New york latest etc

so sorry i cant accept me as animal am sensible to recognise the diffrence btw light and darkness.

Finally, accepting the theory of evolution isn't a necessary action for atheists and atheism. Fact is, many atheists existd before the formulation of the theory of evolution, and a few non-theists still don't accept evolution.

even non atheist accept, believe in karma and are careful to avoid consequnces.
Re: Karma And Evolution by luvus: 3:32pm On Mar 13, 2008
hi kag

[b]First, that no tangible evidence exists foe the existence of gods, that they are always hidden behind the recesses in knowledge, and that for things with so many allocated properties they cannot be potentially tested or falsified in any way, indicates that gods, including the Christian one, are imaginary. To quote Anthony Flew, "Just how does what you call an invisible, intangible, eternally elusive [god] differ from an imaginary [god] or even from no [god] at all?" [1]. Furthermore, since we can deduce the reasons for why humans may have needed to create gods, and strongly infer how the gods could have come into being as a result of human agents, we can further still see why the gods are imaginary

Secondly, god by its very definition is of a mythological nature. To ask that I prove that a god is mythological is to misunderstand what the terms imply. so, unless you have positive evidence you've been keeping secret, god belongs to mythology [2].

Finally, like I said on numerous occasions, science doesn't do proofs. Alcoholics who practise science may, but science doesn't. What can be shown though is the likelihood of something or the other. by the way, were you seriously asking me to use science to prove an unevidenced god is mythological?[/b]

ok since u say god is a myth, so karma doesnt exist? just answer
Re: Karma And Evolution by KAG: 4:58pm On Mar 13, 2008
luvus:

hi kag

mmmh! but since all according to evolution came as result of the big bang, that should not stop me from changing since as u claim we are from same source abi?. abi going by the mundane theory of evoluton and by the way am no animal whatsover

Evolution didn't come as a result of the big bang, it came as a result of imperfect repications in populations of organisms. The universe came as a result of the big bang. You, specifically, as an individual can't evolve (in the biological sense). A population of humans may evolve, but not into trees, for the obvious reason I gave

If you aren't an animal then you are either a plant or a micro-organism.

sorry that is why evolution is pathetic, animals don't need karma and that is what evolution wants me to accept that i am an animal? and u know what, since animals don't recognise nor experienc karma, they live any how which is what atheist want us to accept, asssuring us that there is no consequence. but check history u will see that karma exist and there is consequence. eg imeldia of philipine, govnor of New york latest etc

There are consequences for many actions, ones that are usually based on human agency. A young child gets AIDs despite never doing wrong, that' not karma. Evolution doesn't want you to accept you're an animal - it's not a cognitive entity. In any case, my point still stands: the theory of evolution deals with the genetic and phenotypic changes in species. It doesn't care about human philosphies. You might as well ask how the theory of relativity can make you stop cheating your spouse, for all the lack of sense you're making.

so sorry i can't accept me as animal am sensible to recognise the diffrence between light and darkness.

I guess you're not a mammal either, or a vertebrate

even non atheist accept, believe in karma and are careful to avoid consequnces.

And many theists do't believe in karma. Such is the way of humanity.
Re: Karma And Evolution by bawomolo(m): 4:15am On Mar 14, 2008
so sorry i can't accept me as animal am sensible to recognise the diffrence between light and darkness.

lmao, no wonder nigeria is stuck in reverse

(1) (Reply)

When Does The Human Life Begin In The Theistic Worldview? / The Ten Commandments / Is This A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.