Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,089 members, 7,906,986 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 08:26 PM

Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! (28411 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by femmy2010(m): 11:33am On Feb 12, 2013
willyo: hmmmmm. he should reconsider his reconsidration o. think its better to quit when the ovation's loudest. better now or......

For a coach,the Ovation can only be loudest when it is time to retire from football in totality.
Good players very often makes a good coach.
Good he made his point,so KESHI back to growing Our football.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by dabossman(m): 11:50am On Feb 12, 2013
Keshi is a product of history. He learnt very well from Westerhof. Anyone who is old enough will know that Westerhof only stayed that long as the Eagles coach because he had direct access to the Presidency. Severally the NFA tried to fire him, especially after failing to win at Senegal 92, but the Presidency prevailed. Those at the NFA/NFF have always been a bunch of self-serving goons. Keshi made the right move, but should be careful of victimization from the NFF.

And for those chatting trash about Keshi being proud here, it's either you have never had a job before, or you have never worked at a place where you are ridiculed and undervalued by a bunch of numpties who have no idea what they are doing. Something tells me the former is mostly the case.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Rationalman: 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2013
Which kind small pikin decision be that one. No wonder some said he is looking for bargaining power
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
naptu2:

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-steps-in-as-keshi-resigns/
He is not flying with d team alone also with d CUP.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by kingcobra1(m): 12:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
KESHI! KESHI!! KESHI!!!..hw many times did i call u?....Grab watever u can grab now o...remember u av a date June..
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by harlos: 12:52pm On Feb 12, 2013
Mr keshi i like your decision jare cos if you no shakara dem, dem go think say u be mumu.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by badesco(m): 12:58pm On Feb 12, 2013
It is better to leave a place when the ovation is loud. Stephen Keshi should have stick to its earlier decision to quit. Now he should expect to be disgrace out of office like his predecessors.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by andyanders: 1:14pm On Feb 12, 2013
exxell: And It Came To pass that; Sunday wearing Jersey number 19, born on Sunday Scored Two Vital Goals On Two Sundays in A Tournament That Started On January 19 To Make Nigeria Win The Nations Cup After 19 years!
Can You Beat That? God You are mysterious and your ways mysterious.... Only few understand that.

Best comment.You are right and straight to the mystery behind this great fit. That number 19 has made a name and as a home based player, it has thought us that we should not do away with Nigeria no matter what the politicians are doing do destroy this great country, that we should have hope and trust in ourselves and believe in ourselves. Sunday Mba, you have written your name in gold and you are going places. You will have our prayers and others with you as a team will excel.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 12, 2013
these fickle Nigerians sef
na Bonfrere Jo fit them
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by dabossman(m): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
femmy2010:

For a coach,the Ovation can only be loudest when it is time to retire from football in totality.
Good players very often makes a good coach.
Good he made his point,so KESHI back to growing Our football.

Intelligent comment. All of you saying leave while the ovation is loudest must be asking Keshi to retire prematurely. That Guardiola resigned from Barca when the ovation was loudest doesn't mean he won't be criticized if he doesn't perform at Bayern Munich. Even Mourinho got the sack at Chelsea, and may be fired at Madrid for all we know. A coach is as good as his last result. If Keshi leaves Nigeria and goes to say South Africa or Cape Verde and fails, Nigerians will call his achievements a fluke.

He has made his point, let him continue his building process.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by otipoju(m): 2:24pm On Feb 12, 2013
fork adict:

I'm not sure i got the point you were trying to pass across in your post but i'll try to make as much sense of it as i can. If you are trying to emphasise the cluelessness, gross incompetence and corrupt character of our NFF officials, displayed by their going back and forth with the nation's football management by hiring and firing Ahmodu at will, then i agree with you 100%. I also agree with you that Keshi has successfully navigated a very difficult terrain by managing those id.iotic so called football administrators and helping us to win the AFCON after 19 yrs. However if you were trying to potray ahmodu as a good coach, FA FA FA FOUL. I dont want to dig up ahmodu's list of countless trangressions when he was the coach of the national team cos I am not sure you were trying to convince us he was a good coach. But if you were and you confirm it, then I'll be back with ahmodu's head on a plastic plate.

**** I have as much contempt for Ahmodu as i have for Berti Vogts, lars lagerbak, Bora Milutiwhatever.***
- I am definitely not trying to potray Amodu as a fantastic and very technically sound coach. In fact have my very strong reservations about his mettle as a coach.But I will never hold him in contempt.Fact remains that he was unfairly treated by not being allowed to reap the fruit of his labour and hurts more when his replacements were "baroof". Observe Keshi's stance He is against bringing "carpenter"coaches who have no track record of acheivement and have no intention to develop the local players to come and coach the giant of Africa.He believes we deserve better. Bring in a world class coach like Mourinho,Guardiola,Hiddink, Wenger or Sir Alex,Arigo Sachi or Scolari and Keshi will be glad to be an assistant because working with any of those guys will add value to him as a coach. Employing a foreign coach has become an avenue for NFF officials to siphon money by getting their own cut from the astronomical salary they will never offer a nigerian coach.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by chreldb(m): 2:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nigerians why are we just hypocrites? All those supporting Keshi's decision to resign know in their heart of hearts they don't want that to happen. So why all the unnecessary ranting? I personally am thankful the he rescinded his decision. We still have to world cup and confederations cup to look forward to. And we would need his experience, expertise and his ability to inspire and motivate the players to make a good showing of themselves and Nigeria and make us all proud to be Nigerians in the end. For all those saying he should leave when the ovation is loudest may Amadioha strike your cynical and pessimistic mouths. What are you trying to say? That super eagles are doomed to fail afterwards and winning the nations cup is as good as it gets? All of you should just GTFO and STFU! Unpatriotic pessimists.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Limaoscar: 3:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
Good, now that Keshi has withdrawn His resignation make the Roman Catholic Popinho also withdraw His own resignation make my Grand-pa no come get heart-attack abeg!
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by sobastical: 3:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
ehis00: and how does this affect d fact dat ghana no dey reach finals

Shey the site resemble ghanaian one? Even though na international one....abeg park well jare.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by supaeagles(m): 3:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
When are the boys coming back, when is the victory parade?
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by IYANGBALI: 3:44pm On Feb 12, 2013
Jaidey-one:
Hmmm hope he doesn't get sacked for messing up later grin

FTC wink
for real they are going to kick him out,you just wait and see. Keshi fok up big time,he should have taken a break.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Costa2000(m): 3:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
gheto mum: how can he resign when he see money left and rite
Bros 4get that one,94squad are still waiting for the empty promises that was made to them.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by cecegorz(m): 4:14pm On Feb 12, 2013
Chai!
What's wrong with this Keshi?
Dude should have told his Lawyers to draft a fresh contract terms, complete with the terms and conditions fully in his favour.
ONLY after they agree to the new terms should he rescind the resignation.
I'm not sure if he gained anything with this change of mind after just talking with a politician over the phone.
Criminals seating over the sports funds and cannot pay people their salaries and car allowances.
Keshi, please don't come back tomorrow crying of non-payment because you have really messed up this opportunity big time!
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by tkintell(m): 4:26pm On Feb 12, 2013
It was a good move cos henceforth,he now has the ears of the presidency.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by modicum: 4:41pm On Feb 12, 2013
Dear Stephen Keshi,
I have never seen a man who resigns and 'un-resigns' within the time frame of 5 hours. Did you think it over before going public on your 'resignation'? Was that a cheap blackmail to arm twist the hands NFF and the presidency just because you just won for your country an elusive AFCON trophy? If truly you were serious, negotiations would still be on with you now and probably the nation would be holding its breath awaiting news of the outcome of the talks with you. But before some people who heard the news on Brilla FM drove from V.I to Ketu, you had already 'un-resigned'.
Listen carefully, NFF had wanted to take the right decision of sacking you after our first two group matches and Nigerians would have applauded them because you looked lost and bereft of ideas on how to make the team click. Our Super Eagles were nothing but a bunch of school boys. And then, something happened and they came back and won the hearts of millions of Nigerians once again. Only die hard Super Eagles fans like me stood by that your 'group stage Eagles'. Don't abuse that support by trying to blackmail us. You should have kept quiet, thanked your God and aspire to shame your critics the more instead of that five hour drama you acted yesterday. You were lucky it was not an Abacha who would have called your bluff. You had made your mark, you would have either moved on to coach some other country or stayed quiet and work on winning the World cup with my Eagles, but you acted like a typical Nigerian. Anyway, don't try that stunt again, even at your home. I wish you all the best as we strive to make an impact at World Cup. Super Eagles Forever.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by kobikwelu(m): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
I truly supported Keshi's decision (The resignation and "un-resignation"wink..

as far as i am concerned, this was purely a business matter..he had all the cards/leverage and he played it magnificiently!!

imagine the HBP he must have given the Sports ministry/NFF in the past 48 hours grin grin grin grin!!..

i bet he must have extended his contract and increased his salary and maybe also secured a direct line to the Presidency circumventing those incompetent baboons(who by the way should be restricted to organising supporters club and itenary/logistical matters ) at the glass house

Kudos to the man abeg!! he is smart..
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by rapmike(m): 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
CFCfan: It’s been a few hours since Stephen Keshi‘s surprising resignation as the head coach of the Super Eagles. He is currently reconsidering his decision and has released the following statement.

My attention has been drawn to reports in the media that I have resigned my appointment as the Head Coach of Super Eagles of Nigeria.
While I have had cause to express my displeasure over some issues that happened in the course of our participation in the AFCON 2013, which my team won by the grace of God, especially concerning my relationship with the Nigerian Football Federation, I have since had opportunity to discuss the various issues with all concerned. I am therefore pleased to say that I have reconsidered my position and have decided to continue with my job.
I want to thank the Honourable Minister of Sports, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, for his swift and kind intervention.

Signed

Stephen Okechukwu Keshi

12th February 2013

source: http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/02/12/official-statement-stephen-keshi-reconsiders-resignation-from-super-eagles-coach-role/
i pity u, keshi, if they fire u, u are on ur own ooo
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by vision2050: 5:14pm On Feb 12, 2013
NFF and others should leave this man alone to perform his duties how on earth will you go and buy return ticket when the team have not been eliminate? Yoruba people say : OMO ALE LO MA RINU TI ONBI: if na me be keshi i wont release the trophy.... NFF must be fine for underate the super eagle..... I dof my cap for Keshi..... HATERS GO TO HELL
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by mbulela: 5:16pm On Feb 12, 2013
Keshi is missing a big chance to bow out on a high. He will regret this withdrawal down the line. He will be frustrated out later and then his shine will have dimmed and the public will not be interested in his cries.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by naptu2: 5:20pm On Feb 12, 2013
Gosh! I wish I could remember the exact game.

Circa 1990, Nigeria had an away match. The minister of sports showed up at the hotel with Pete Rufai (former first choice keeper in the 1980s) and told Westerhof that Rufai must play. Westerhof said, "Ok, if he stays, then I go."

The minister said, "No he is a very good keeper, former first choice. . ."

Westerhof said, "Ok, if he is so good and he stays, then I go".

Now, knowing that the Chief of General Staff, Admiral Aikhomu, was behind Westerhof, the minister backed down (Alloy Agu was first choice keeper at the time).

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Akiika: 5:22pm On Feb 12, 2013
I was hoping he'll use this opportunity to make case for all indegeneous coaches. If they meet his immediate demands and still treat the other coaches poorly, then he hasn't achieved anything. I'm sure he got pressured by the presidency but this is just a short term solution.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by naptu2: 5:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
At the National Stadium in Lagos, everybody was waiting for the Eagles to come out of the tunnel, but they didn't.

Westerhof went to meet the players. Stephen Keshi told him that they were on strike. "Strike? What you mean strike? Come out and play". And Keshi told him, "Sir, the NFA has not paid our bonuses and has not refunded the cost of our tickets. We won't play until they do. You are like a father to us, please stand aside let's face the NFA". And Westerhof says "Ok".

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by dabossman(m): 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
modicum: Dear Stephen Keshi,
Was that a cheap blackmail to arm twist the hands NFF and the presidency just because you just won for your country an elusive AFCON trophy? If truly you were serious, negotiations would still be on with you now and probably the nation would be holding its breath awaiting news of the outcome of the talks with you. But before some people who heard the news on Brilla FM drove from V.I to Ketu, you had already 'un-resigned'.
Listen carefully, NFF had wanted to take the right decision of sacking you after our first two group matches and Nigerians would have applauded them because you looked lost and bereft of ideas on how to make the team click.

And what makes you think this is all about earning more money? Have you stopped to think that all that Keshi is trying to tell those goons in the NFF is "I am not begging or grovelling to be Eagles coach and can do fine on my own?" After all before this cup-winning feat he had coached Mali and Togo, even qualifying the latter for the World Cup in 2006. Do you not think that this action is a statement to say "local coaches are not beggars who the NFF can feel they are doing a favor?".

The man has made a huge statement and I applaud him for it. Even the NFF have been forced to eat humble pie.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by WaliyinAllah(m): 5:46pm On Feb 12, 2013
If you do something gud for naija, you will be sacked. Thanks for this nice information!
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Christo724(m): 6:05pm On Feb 12, 2013
I said it yesterday., Na shakara olode!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dettol Cool Announces Odion Ighalo As New Brand Ambassador / Asisat Oshoala Reacts To Super Falcons' 8-0 Loss To France. / Pinnick Reacts To Removal As CAF Vice President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.