Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,331 members, 7,888,064 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:33 PM

The Cowardice Of Atheism - Religion (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Cowardice Of Atheism (65571 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) / Myopia Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (79) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

An indifferent God would be like the deist God. That God can be claimed to have created the universe and left it to be. He wouldn't care about humans, in fact, humans wouldn't be considered to have been his aim for creating the universe.

What does it mean for God not to care about things?

No I'm not. Is there something baffling about what I said there?

I don't believe this. I ask you why God is supposed to be sapient and benevolent and whatnot and you answer, " because he is supposed to be sapient and benevolent"? With a straight face? And I'm not wasting my time with you?

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:29am On Feb 20, 2013
Kay 17: Wouldn't it be sound to say, that morality is possible only under the force of moral laws. Therefore its giver (God or the State) isn't moral, because they don't come under the force/influence of moral laws. Hence both are amoral.

And moral laws are not possible without a moral authority whom/which they reference. Therefore their giver is always the yardstick for moral measurements. Since the laws only reflect the character of their giver, morality is defined only by this character therefore it is false to describe moral authorities as amoral. The very existence of their moral laws proves that they care about right and wrong.

2 Likes

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 12:35am On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:

This is where we backtracked.

https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/23#14385248

My quotes from that post:

How on earth can you say we backtracked when you were clearly referring to the Christian God? Did you miss your references to a certain specific God in that post? Or were you deliberately conflating two different Gods?

Mr_Anony:
So please can you now answer the question as it is without jumping to what you think I might say next?

I answered that question here

thehomer:
As I said before, the creator is under moral obligations if the creation is sapient and if the creator is said to be beneficent towards the creation.

In no way have I tried to read your mind. If you think I did, please show me where I did this.

And I notice that you're yet to answer my own question.

Now if you want to shift this discussion to first trying to find out which God it is you want to start talking about, then explicitly do so rather than playing these games.

In fact, since you're feeling so skittish, I'll do it for you.

What sort of creator and creation do you have in mind? Obviously, none of them can be mindless if it is to be relevant to this discussion.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 20, 2013
davidylan:

Irrelevant rambling. If i remember correctly, the question was that you explain the scientific evidence that proves God doesnt exist... i.e. what is the scientific evidence for the existence of man and the solar system independent of God?

Of course i can bet my entire salary this month that you have no answer to that question.
Okay nosy dog. I think that particular comment you've just quoted is no way related to what you are trying to pass across. Indeed, you are lost about the very reason for what looks like rambling to your undiscerning brain because it is to high for you to grasp.

I sometimes laugh over your silliness you usually think it's meaningful.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 12:44am On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

What does it mean for God not to care about things?

Exactly what it says there. A God that is indifferent to the universe after creating it.

Ihedinobi:
I don't believe this. I ask you why God is supposed to be sapient and benevolent and whatnot and you answer, " because he is supposed to be sapient and benevolent"? With a straight face? And I'm not wasting my time with you?

And I don't believe what you've said above. What sort of God concept do you have in mind? The one I have in mind is the Christian one spoken about in the Bible. And that one is supposed to be sapient and benevolent.

I already said this right in my post here.

thehomer:
[size=14pt]Firstly, the God under consideration is the God of the Bible.[/size]
God is a moral agent because he supposed to be sapient, he is supposed to care about humans and he can do something to affect humans.

If you're seriously telling me that as a Christian you do not know that the Christian God is supposed to be moral, sapient and beneficent, then I have to ask what concept of the Christian God you have in mind.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

Exactly what it says there. A God that is indifferent to the universe after creating it.

It is nowhere to be found because it doesn't exist. That is likely the truth.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:57am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

Alright then, it's safe to say that you really don't have an answer to the question.

And I don't believe what you've said above. What sort of God concept do you have in mind? The one I have in mind is the Christian one spoken about in the Bible. And that one is supposed to be sapient and benevolent.

I already said this right in my post here.

If you're seriously telling me that as a Christian you do not know that the Christian God is supposed to be moral, sapient and beneficent, then I have to ask what concept of the Christian God you have in mind.

It doesn't matter to me what God concept you are concerned with. I'm only concerned with God as a concept. What obligates God to be all these things you claim that he is obligated to be? To whom or what is he so obligated?

Now, just to keep things as straight as possible, what obligates the God of the Bible to be and do as you have insisted that he is obligated to be and do? To whom or what is he responsible?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 1:29am On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Alright then, it's safe to say that you really don't have an answer to the question.

That is the answer to the question. The words I wrote have meanings associated with them. If you understand the meaning of the words, then you should understand the answer to the question. If you find any of the words confusing, please let me know.

Ihedinobi:
It doesn't matter to me what God concept you are concerned with. I'm only concerned with God as a concept. What obligates God to be all these things you claim that he is obligated to be? To whom or what is he so obligated?

It does matter because there are very many God concepts out there and they can be contradictory. e.g the deist God cannot be the same as the Christian God because one is moral while the other is amoral. And the Christian God cannot be Brahma etc.

Ihedinobi:
Now, just to keep things as straight as possible, what obligates the God of the Bible to be and do as you have insisted that he is obligated to be and do? To whom or what is he responsible?

What do you mean? I'm presenting you with a description of the God of the Bible. That he is supposed to be moral, sapient and beneficent aren't supposed to be obligations, they're supposed to be descriptions. Just as saying that a person is moral, sapient and caring about her family, isn't an obligation, it is a description of them.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 2:25am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

That is the answer to the question. The words I wrote have meanings associated with them. If you understand the meaning of the words, then you should understand the answer to the question. If you find any of the words confusing, please let me know.

It does matter because there are very many God concepts out there and they can be contradictory. e.g the deist God cannot be the same as the Christian God because one is moral while the other is amoral. And the Christian God cannot be Brahma etc.

What do you mean? I'm presenting you with a description of the God of the Bible. That he is supposed to be moral, sapient and beneficent aren't supposed to be obligations, they're supposed to be descriptions. Just as saying that a person is moral, sapient and caring about her family, isn't an obligation, it is a description of them.

Perhaps you really don't understand this discussion or else you're really just fooling around. I honestly don't know which it is.

I said, God, by definition, is the supreme moral authority. It makes no ssense to describe God as a moral agent because then it is no longer God of whom you speak. An authority is an authority and as such cannot also be an agent. Once you describe God as having to be moral, sapient, caring or whatever, you have to say why he has to be so. Either God is completely arbitrary or He is not God. Being God makes God subject to no moral requirements, rather it subjects all morality to Him. He decides what is right and what is wrong. If, for instance, God said that it is wrong to get to work on any given day without killing at least twenty people, then it is wrong. We, not being equal to God or above Him, would automatically have a moral compass that applauds mass murder and frowns upon forbearance. We would send people to jail for killing less than twenty people every morning. This is becausr our natural morality then would be built like that.

You call right right because some arbitrary moral authority says it is right. You call wrong wrong because the same arbitrary moral authority says it is wrong. The moral authority decides what is right and what is wrong, moral agents are answerable to it on their choices which to follow.

Now if you say that God is moral, immoral or amoral, the question would be, "with reference to whom or what?" What is God answerable to as a moral agent? What is God obligated to? Why does God have to be or do anything?

Ok. About the God of the Bible, can you show how the Bible has described God in such a way as to obligate Him to anything? Of course, the Bible holds that God is Himself Wisdom, that God is Himself Love, that God is Himself Good. If He is "supposed" to act in some ways and not others, it is entirely at His discretion and dictated only by His innate Nature, which both mean the same thing anyhow.

This is our difficulty when you talk about the morality of God. It makes no sense when you measure God's morality if you have nothing to measure it against. And if you could produce something against which God's morality can be measured, then it is not God whose morality you're measuring, rather that yardstick against which you measure God is God. And on and on and on...as far as you care to go.

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 3:25am On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Perhaps you really don't understand this discussion or else you're really just fooling around. I honestly don't know which it is.

Actually, your problem is that you have no idea of a cogent concept of morality. You actually think that morality can compared to say a ruler that it has to be compared to God.

Ihedinobi:
I said, God, by definition, is the supreme moral authority. It makes no ssense to describe God as a moral agent because then it is no longer God of whom you speak. An authority is an authority and as such cannot also be an agent. Once you describe God as having to be moral, sapient, caring or whatever, you have to say why he has to be so. Either God is completely arbitrary or He is not God. Being God makes God subject to no moral requirements, rather it subjects all morality to Him. He decides what is right and what is wrong. If, for instance, God said that it is wrong to get to work on any given day without killing at least twenty people, then it is wrong. We, not being equal to God or above Him, would automatically have a moral compass that applauds mass murder and frowns upon forbearance. We would send people to jail for killing less than twenty people every morning. This is becausr our natural morality then would be built like that.

You're just stipulating that here and why should I accept that this particular God is the supreme moral authority? Can this God you're talking about here tell the difference between right and wrong?

So if God told you that you should kill twenty people each day, then it would be the moral thing to do? I'm sorry but what you've effectively shown is that you're in no position to consider moral issues.

Ihedinobi:
You call right right because some arbitrary moral authority says it is right. You call wrong wrong because the same arbitrary moral authority says it is wrong. The moral authority decides what is right and what is wrong, moral agents are answerable to it on their choices which to follow.

And I disagree. I call something right or wrong based on its effects on sentient creatures. Frankly, you need to explore some moral philosophy because what you're saying here is really dumbfounding.

Ihedinobi:
Now if you say that God is moral, immoral or amoral, the question would be, "with reference to whom or what?" What is God answerable to as a moral agent? What is God obligated to? Why does God have to be or do anything?

With reference to how he treats sentient creatures. You see morality can be considered without the need to refer to a supreme commander. Try to understand this basic point. It is what God does that determines whether or not he actually is moral, immoral or amoral.

Ihedinobi:
Ok. About the God of the Bible, can you show how the Bible has described God in such a way as to obligate Him to anything? Of course, the Bible holds that God is Himself Wisdom, that God is Himself Love, that God is Himself Good. If He is "supposed" to act in some ways and not others, it is entirely at His discretion and dictated only by His innate Nature, which both mean the same thing anyhow.

No, if God is actually love, then he is supposed to love people. Loving people entails acting in a certain way that is beneficial towards them and not acting in ways that will harm them. e.g loving someone means keeping them safe rather than torturing them.

Ihedinobi:
This is our difficulty when you talk about the morality of God. It makes no sense when you measure God's morality if you have nothing to measure it against. And if you could produce something against which God's morality can be measured, then it is not God whose morality you're measuring, rather that yardstick against which you measure God is God. And on and on and on...as far as you care to go.

Then your main problem is with your understanding of what morality is. We don't "measure" morality in a way analogous to measuring a meter. Basically, the moral system you espouse is bankrupt as you demonstrated by saying that if God demanded that 20 people be killed before you go to work, then killing those people would be a moral act.

Seriously, please take the time to look into the ideas presented in moral philosophy. As always, Wikipedia is a good place to begin.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 4:03am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

Actually, your problem is that you have no idea of a cogent concept of morality. You actually think that morality can compared to say a ruler that it has to be compared to God.

Really? What then is the meaning of law courts and the concept of judgment and the dispensation of justice?

You're just stipulating that here and why should I accept that this particular God is the supreme moral authority? Can this God you're talking about here tell the difference between right and wrong?

What particular God?

So if God told you that you should kill twenty people each day, then it would be the moral thing to do? I'm sorry but what you've effectively shown is that you're in no position to consider moral issues.

Like you said, if you have any difficulty comprehending my argument you only have to ask questions.

And I disagree. I call something right or wrong based on its effects on sentient creatures. Frankly, you need to explore some moral philosophy because what you're saying here is really dumbfounding.

Explain the bolded. What effects do you mean? What effect, for instance, would make a moral act good or evil? And why?

You know, from where I stand, I have said pretty much the same thing to you.

With reference to how he treats sentient creatures. You see morality can be considered without the need to refer to a supreme commander. Try to understand this basic point. It is what God d oes that determines whether or not he actually is moral, immoral or amoral.

Who made this rule about treating sentient creatures in some particular way? And why should anyone obey it to be moral?

No, if God is actually love, then he is supposed to love people. Loving people entails acting in a certain way that is beneficial towards them and not acting in ways that will harm them. e.g loving someone means keeping them safe rather than torturing them.

You decide what Love is?

Then your main problem is with your understanding of what morality is. We don't "measure" morality in a way analogous to measuring a meter. Basically, the moral system you espouse is bankrupt as you demonstrated by saying that if God demanded that 20 people be killed before you go to work, then killing those people would be a moral act.

Again my question about the proceedings of the law comes in handy. What is the whole point of law courts and the dispensation of justice if morality cannot be measured?

Seriously, please take the time to look into the ideas presented in moral philosophy. As always, Wikipedia is a good place to begin.

Seriously, please take the time to look into the definitions of aome terms used in moral philosophy. As always, a good dictionary is a fine place to start.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 5:12am On Feb 20, 2013
As usual, the atheists NEVER answer any question... they only way they can survive on a thread is to perpetually have the christian answering circular questions that lead no where... all the while providing nothing of substance for their own beliefs.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 5:28am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:
I answered that question here

And I also responded to your answer here
https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/28#14392157

In no way have I tried to read your mind. If you think I did, please show me where I did this.

And I notice that you're yet to answer my own question.

Now if you want to shift this discussion to first trying to find out which God it is you want to start talking about, then explicitly do so rather than playing these games.

In fact, since you're feeling so skittish, I'll do it for you.

What sort of creator and creation do you have in mind? Obviously, none of them can be mindless if it is to be relevant to this discussion.
I am not trying to shift any discussion. I am first trying to establish a general rule for creators and their creations. After we have established this, then we can insert God and humans to see how they fit. Jumping the gun without establishing a basic framework is what I am trying to stop you from doing.

thehomer:
How on earth can you say we backtracked when you were clearly referring to the Christian God? Did you miss your references to a certain specific God in that post? Or were you deliberately conflating two different Gods?

Let me refresh your memory:

1. You butted into a debate I was having with omo tu dun to address why he thought God to be evil which originally started from here: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/18#14369265

2. It continued here: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/19#14369783

3. The point at which you butted in was in response to this: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/19#14370149

Notice that by this point I and omo tu dun had already established that a creator is not morally accountable to his creation before we now moved on to God. I was continuing the argument with you based on that established premise. However somewhere along the line, you said this:

thehomer:
Sure it isn't a tragedy to him but it is to the parents who live and care about these children. Or doesn't he love their parents too? This is the sort of point that bothers me in Job. God allows Job's children to be killed and as reward, he gives Job more children. Having the privilege of knowing people who have lost children, do you think they'll accept these new children as actually replacing the dead ones?

To which I replied:
Mr_Anony:
As we have established earlier, God is not under any moral obligation to appease their parents.

Then you said:
thehomer:
No we haven't established this yet. So as I asked before, is God under any moral obligation at all?

This prompted me to say this:
Mr_Anony:
You really should have followed the argument before you butted in. I'll just have to ask you the same question that I asked omo tu dun which is: Is one bound by any moral obligation to preserve his/her creation or is one free to treat his creation as he/she likes?

Notice that I was obviously drawing you back to the question that established the basis of the argument you butted into since you denied saying that we hadn't established it yet.

So oga, please let us follow the argument step by step without speculating on what particular creator I might have in mind

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 20, 2013
Enigma: @ Ghostface

Why u no ansa me now? E no good oh!

I say what do you think of 'Daytona500'? wink
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 20, 2013
Well, this should do.. y'all can continue the battles...
alexleo:

stop generalizing my friend. It is you that needs atheist. I HAVE NO NEED OF THEM IN MY LIFE. NOT AT ALL. I cant even offer any atheist a job in my company and if i notice any atheist among my workers i will sack the virus(atheist).

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by ijawkid(m): 8:26am On Feb 20, 2013
musKeeto: Well, this should do.. y'all can continue the battles...

Alexleo dey para seriously........see vex na!!!!.....grin
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Kay17: 8:53am On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

And moral laws are not possible without a moral authority whom/which they reference. Therefore their giver is always the yardstick for moral measurements. Since the laws only reflect the character of their giver, morality is defined only by this character therefore it is false to describe moral authorities as amoral. The very existence of their moral laws proves that they care about right and wrong.

Sounds right though.

BUT. . .

Morality appears upon the introduction of moral laws, without such no morality. Consequently where there are moral laws, there is morality.

The FACT that moral laws borrow some characteristics from the giver doesn't imply the giver is moral, because the Giver if a freewilled mind, can derogate or abstain from the laws.

1 Like

Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 9:04am On Feb 20, 2013
Kay 17:

Sounds right though.

BUT. . .

Morality appears upon the introduction of moral laws, without such no morality. Consequently where there are moral laws, there is morality.

The FACT that moral laws borrow some characteristics from the giver doesn't imply the giver is moral, because the Giver if a freewilled mind, can derogate or abstain from the laws.
I can agree with this
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 9:06am On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Really? What then is the meaning of law courts and the concept of judgment and the dispensation of justice?

Law courts are supposed to render legal judgement. But this is orthogonal to the issue of morality which is what we're discussing.

Ihedinobi:
What particular God?

The one you're talking about here. It obviously isn't the Christian one.

Ihedinobi:
Like you said, if you have any difficulty comprehending my argument you only have to ask questions.

I understand it perfectly.

Ihedinobi:
Explain the bolded. What effects do you mean? What effect, for instance, would make a moral act good or evil? And why?

You know, from where I stand, I have said pretty much the same thing to you.

The effect I mean is that e.g simply killing 20 people everyday you want to go to your work as a cab driver is immoral because you're deliberately harming those people for no sensible reason.

No you've not said pretty much the same thing as I have. I'm saying your example of killing those 20 people is immoral every time you want to go to work is immoral while you're saying it is moral if God says so.

Ihedinobi:
Who made this rule about treating sentient creatures in some particular way? And why should anyone obey it to be moral?

It is not a "rule" about morality, it is what it means to be moral. Moral decisions depend on the effects of actions on sentient creatures and not on e.g stones. Do you think that morality has something to do with actions on sentient creatures?

Ihedinobi:
You decide what Love is?

No, what love is has been decided by the language. To communicate, words and meanings need to be consistent across usage. Or do you think love doesn't entail caring for someone else?

Ihedinobi:
Again my question about the proceedings of the law comes in handy. What is the whole point of law courts and the dispensation of justice if morality cannot be measured?

Their point is to implement the law not to determine what is moral. Do you think slavery is moral or immoral? How do you think it came to be abolished? Did the law courts "measure" it against something?

Ihedinobi:
Seriously, please take the time to look into the definitions of aome terms used in moral philosophy. As always, a good dictionary is a fine place to start.

Obviously this has to be a joke because you're the one who doesn't seem to understand what love is.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 20, 2013
davidylan: As usual, the atheists NEVER answer any question... they only way they can survive on a thread is to perpetually have the christian answering circular questions that lead no where... all the while providing nothing of substance for their own beliefs.

Davidylan, you are talented.

It takes a lot of st.upidity to be able to pack so many untruth into two lines.

1) Atheists never answer any questions. Generalisation, exaggeration and bullshyt
2) The only way they can survive on a thread is to perpertually have christians answering circular questions. Generalisation and bullshyt
3) Atheists beliefs- contradiction/oxymoron
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 9:30am On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:

And I also responded to your answer here
https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/28#14392157

I never said you didn't respond, I said you didn't answer it.

Did you notice that I clearly and carefully explained to you why the ability to decide right and wrong does place a moral obligation on you? For some reason, you sidestepped that one right here.

Mr_Anony:
I am not trying to shift any discussion. I am first trying to establish a general rule for creators and their creations. After we have established this, then we can insert God and humans to see how they fit. Jumping the gun without establishing a basic framework is what I am trying to stop you from doing.

What sort of creator and creation do you have in mind? I ask again because what pertains to one type of creator may not pertain to another.

Mr_Anony:
Let me refresh your memory:

1. You butted into a debate I was having with omo tu dun to address why he thought God to be evil which originally started from here: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/18#14369265

2. It continued here: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/19#14369783

3. The point at which you butted in was in response to this: https://www.nairaland.com/1198534/cowardice-atheism/19#14370149

Notice that by this point I and omo tu dun had already established that a creator is not morally accountable to his creation before we now moved on to God. I was continuing the argument with you based on that established premise. However somewhere along the line, you said this:

Your confusion is that you expect me to accept omo_to_dun's premises in my own argument but I don't. That was why I told you that if that God was sapient and his creation was sapient and if he was to be beneficent to his creation, then he had some moral obligations towards them. Clearly, the God he was talking about there, the God you were referring to and the one I was referring to were the one and the same Christian God. He clearly referred to the Bible and Christianity, and you went ahead to talk about that God's omniscience but not retreating to some deist God.

Mr_Anony:
To which I replied:

Then you said:

This prompted me to say this:

Notice that I was obviously drawing you back to the question that established the basis of the argument you butted into since you denied that we hadn't established it yet.

So oga, please let us follow the argument step by step without speculating on what particular creator I might have in mind

You established that with someone else not with me. When you asked me that same question, I answered here. Or do you just want to force another person's words into my mouth?

This is why I've asked you to explicitly say you're not talking about the Christian God if you want to go through all that again so we're clear on what we're tackling rather than oscillating between the conception of the deist God and the Christian one whenever it suits you.

So I've clearly followed the argument but you keep dragging me back when you don't like my response.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 9:32am On Feb 20, 2013
davidylan: As usual, the atheists NEVER answer any question... they only way they can survive on a thread is to perpetually have the christian answering circular questions that lead no where... all the while providing nothing of substance for their own beliefs.

So much empty empty talk. From what I've seen so far, it appears that Christians just want to hide their God behind a flimsy sheet or attempts at jiggery pokery. Are you guys so scared that if you spoke plainly, the errors in your thinking would be exposed?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 20, 2013
This thread is called "the cowardice of atheism"

But rather, the real cowards are; Anony, Enigma, Davidylan and co

Seriously avoiding a thread that gives points against their religion that they cant counter;
https://www.nairaland.com/1200970/why-religion-section-always-turn

I'm sure some have viewed it and they ran. smiley
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03: This thread is called "the cowardice of atheism"

Seriously avoiding a thread that gives points against their religion that they cant counter;

Don't you think its too early to start smoking egbo? grin grin grin Many of us are really engaged outside the internet, cos we've got bills to pay and have responsibilities. NL is a social media relaxation/fun centre. Wise up
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 20, 2013
toba: Don't you think its too early to start smoking egbo? grin grin grin Many of us are really engaged outside the internet, cos we've got bills to pay and have responsibilities. NL is a social media relaxation/fun centre. Wise up

Yet you have time to rig elections for two weeks on Nairaland? grin grin grin grin

Keep avoiding the thread
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:33am On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

I never said you didn't respond, I said you didn't answer it.

Did you notice that I clearly and carefully explained to you why the ability to decide right and wrong does place a moral obligation on you? For some reason, you sidestepped that one right here.
Did you notice also in that same post that I clearly and carefully explained to you that your "clear and careful explanantion" mysteriously managed to avoid altogether the creator/creation relationship upon which the question was based in the first place.

What sort of creator and creation do you have in mind? I ask again because what pertains to one type of creator may not pertain to another.
I don't necessarily have any particular creators or creations in mind. I am referring to them in general. If you think that there are certain kinds of creators that are morally accountable to their creations, then it is up to you to explain to me what these characteristics are and why they impose moral obligations upon the creators towards their creations.

Your confusion is that you expect me to accept omo_to_dun's premises in my own argument but I don't. That was why I told you that if that God was sapient and his creation was sapient and if he was to be beneficent to his creation, then he had some moral obligations towards them. Clearly, the God he was talking about there, the God you were referring to and the one I was referring to were the one and the same Christian God. He clearly referred to the Bible and Christianity, and you went ahead to talk about that God's omniscience but not retreating to some deist God.
Actually, I don't expect you to accept omo tu dun's premise that is why I asked you the same question I asked him so that we can argue based on thehomer's premise.
You have not shown us how sapience lays a moral obligation on a creator towards his creation. Secondly, it is poor logic to argue that a creator ought to be beneficent because he is said to be beneficent. That's like saying "The reason why God ought to be good is because He is said to good". That's a non-answer and you know it.

You established that with someone else not with me. When you asked me that same question, I answered here. Or do you just want to force another person's words into my mouth?

This is why I've asked you to explicitly say you're not talking about the Christian God if you want to go through all that again so we're clear on what we're tackling rather than oscillating between the conception of the deist God and the Christian one whenever it suits you.

So I've clearly followed the argument but you keep dragging me back when you don't like my response.
And I am trying to establish a first premise with you. I am not switching Gods (I haven't even specified any). I am only inquiring on what ought to be the relationship between creator and creation. You are the one projecting towards some particular God.
The argument before us is very simple

Premise 1: A creator is/is not bound by a moral obligation towards his creation.
Premise 2: God is a creator and man is His creation
Conclusion: Therefore God is/is not bound by a moral obligation towards man.

The stage we are in this argument is establishing premise 1. Once we establish it, the rest of the argument will logically fall in line. Unfortunately, you are trying to use a conclusion that we have not reached to argue a premise that we have not defined. It doesn't work that way my friend.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 20, 2013
Kay 17:

Sounds right though.

BUT. . .

I agree. Note however that where there is no morality as you have described here, the terms, 'moral', 'immoral', and 'amoral' do not apply anymore.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03: This thread is called "the cowardice of atheism"

lol...I caught one of them viewing it again and he ran......Dem fear thread ooo!
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yet you have time to rig elections for two weeks on Nairaland? grin grin grin grin

Keep avoiding the thread
You and this election
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 20, 2013
thehomer:

Law courts are supposed to render legal judgement. But this is orthogonal to the issue of morality which is what we're discussing.

The one you're talking about here. It obviously isn't the Christian one.

I understand it perfectly.

The effect I mean is that e.g simply killing 20 people everyday you want to go to your work as a cab driver is immoral because you're deliberately harming those people for no sensible reason.

No you've not said pretty much the same thing as I have. I'm saying your example of killing those 20 people is immoral every time you want to go to work is immoral while you're saying it is moral if God says so.

It is not a "rule" about morality, it is what it means to be moral. Moral decisions depend on the effects of actions on sentient creatures and not on e.g stones. Do you think that morality has something to do with actions on sentient creatures?

No, what love is has been decided by the language. To communicate, words and meanings need to be consistent across usage. Or do you think love doesn't entail caring for someone else?

Their point is to implement the law not to determine what is moral. Do you think slavery is moral or immoral? How do you think it came to be abolished? Did the law courts "measure" it against something?

Obviously this has to be a joke because you're the one who doesn't seem to understand what love is.

Ok. Let's dial back a bit, shall we? My question was, how is God a moral agent? Your answer was, first, that it is the Christian God you mean. Ok, I'm fine with that. Second, you say because God is supposed to be sapient etc etc. The answer makes no sense to me and I say so and you say that the Christian God is held by Christians to have these qualities. And I try to explain that this does not make Him a moral agent and we start addressing morality. Only in doing so, we have gone away from finding a sensible compromise on God's moral agency.

So far, you have not told me how God, any God, could be a moral agent. Moral agency means,

an individual's ability to make moral judgments based on some commonly held notion of right and wrong and to be held accountable for these actions.

That's from Wikipedia which you advised me to use. Now, on what basis do you say that the Christian God (your prefered target of discourse) is a moral agent? Is he bound by any commonly held notion of right and wrong? Is he accountable to anyone?
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 3:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Did you notice also in that same post that I clearly and carefully explained to you that your "clear and careful explanantion" mysteriously managed to avoid altogether the creator/creation relationship upon which the question was based in the first place.

It didn't avoid the relationship, the point was that for the idea of morality to even apply, both the creator and the creation have to at least be sentient and at least one of them has to be sapient.

Mr_Anony:
I don't necessarily have any particular creators or creations in mind. I am referring to them in general. If you think that there are certain kinds of creators that are morally accountable to their creations, then it is up to you to explain to me what these characteristics are and why they impose moral obligations upon the creators towards their creations.

You need one in mind because morality needs both agents to at least be sentient. Proposing a creator that isn't sapient means that morality won't apply at all. So, I need an example from you because so far, you've rejected the example I proposed or the one you were initially referring to.

Mr_Anony:
Actually, I don't expect you to accept omo tu dun's premise that is why I asked you the same question I asked him so that we can argue based on thehomer's premise.
You have not shown us how sapience lays a moral obligation on a creator towards his creation.

In that case, what do you think morality is? And what sort of entities it can apply to?

Mr_Anony:
Secondly, it is poor logic to argue that a creator ought to be beneficent because he is said to be beneficent. That's like saying "The reason why God ought to be good is because He is said to good". That's a non-answer and you know it.

Again, when I said that the creator example that I presented should be beneficent, it wasn't an argument. It was a description of how he was supposed to be. Keep in mind that since you've refused to present the type of creator you had in mind, I proposed one but again, you refuse to address it.

Mr_Anony:
And I am trying to establish a first premise with you. I am not switching Gods (I haven't even specified any). I am only inquiring on what ought to be the relationship between creator and creation. You are the one projecting towards some particular God.
The argument before us is very simple

Premise 1: A creator is/is not bound by a moral obligation towards his creation.
Premise 2: God is a creator and man is His creation
Conclusion: Therefore God is/is not bound by a moral obligation towards man.

The stage we are in this argument is establishing premise 1. Once we establish it, the rest of the argument will logically fall in line. Unfortunately, you are trying to use a conclusion that we have not reached to argue a premise that we have not defined. It doesn't work that way my friend.

You need to establish the creator first. I proposed one but you rejected it. Or rather you backed away from the one you were initially referring to. I ask you to propose one, you refuse. If we don't know the creator, then how can you establish that the first premise is true?

Please you need to do one of the following before you can even begin to evaluate the syllogism you presented above.

You can either accept the proposed creator and creation or propose your own creator and creation.
Re: The Cowardice Of Atheism by thehomer: 3:41pm On Feb 20, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Ok. Let's dial back a bit, shall we? My question was, how is God a moral agent? Your answer was, first, that it is the Christian God you mean. Ok, I'm fine with that. Second, you say because God is supposed to be sapient etc etc. The answer makes no sense to me and I say so and you say that the Christian God is held by Christians to have these qualities. And I try to explain that this does not make Him a moral agent and we start addressing morality. Only in doing so, we have gone away from finding a sensible compromise on God's moral agency.

How can it make no sense to you? The Christian God fits what it means to be sapient. Saying that he is sapient is a description of the God. Firstly, do you agree that the Christian God is sapient?

Basically what you're saying from the highlighted part of your attempted explanation is that morality is independent of a God or at least the Christian one. And you're right. I think he is immoral based on his actions towards humans.

Ihedinobi:
So far, you have not told me how God, any God, could be a moral agent. Moral agency means,

an individual's ability to make moral judgments based on some commonly held notion of right and wrong and to be held accountable for these actions.

That's from Wikipedia which you advised me to use. Now, on what basis do you say that the Christian God (your prefered target of discourse) is a moral agent? Is he bound by any commonly held notion of right and wrong? Is he accountable to anyone?

I say he is a moral agent on the basis that based on his description, he can make moral judgements and be held accountable for his actions.

He is bound by the notion of right and wrong because he is supposed to interact with other sentient creatures. He is held accountable to the very concept of morality.

At this point, I've consistently answered the questions you've been asking but you've not been answering mine. Now, please don't just bracket my questions and start shooting off another bunch of questions. You need to start addressing my questions. Here they are again.

Do you think morality has anything to do with the interactions between sapient creatures?
Does loving someone entail caring for that person?

I think we can proceed with those two questions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (79) (Reply)

Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, His Wife And Children On Vacation (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo Reacts To Apostle Suleman’s Private Jet / Why Is TB Joshua Hiding In Mexico?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.