Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,908 members, 7,890,001 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 07:06 AM

Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change (906 Views)

Breaking: IGP In A Shouting Match With Reps Over Siege On NASS / GEJ To Sue House Of Reps Over Summon / Alison-madueke Summoned By Reps Over Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by talktimi(m): 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North
As the National Assembly tries to wriggle out of the budget padding feud with the Presidency, a fresh round of crisis is looming in the House of Representatives following allegation by some aggrieved members that the leadership has short-changed them in the payment of their salaries and allowances.

The aggrieved members of the House of Representatives,  who spoke to Vanguard last night, accused the leadership of trading with their salaries and allowances since the inception of the current 7th session of the NASS.

According to the members, who did not want to be named for now, the management of the NASS had at the inauguration of the current session started paying them a paltry N15 million per quarter as against the N43 million that their predecessors were getting per quarter.

The members, who were armed with some documents to buttress their point, pointed out that the management later in June 2012 grudgingly jerked their pay to N27 million per quarter following threats by some angry members to confront the leadership.

The grouse of the aggrieved members is that it is wrong for their pay to be unjustifiably and inexplicably slashed by the leadership of the House of Representatives when the allocation to the NASS has not been reduced from N150 billion per year by the Federal Government.

Vanguard gathered that out of the amount, N43 billion is set aside for the running of the NASS while  40 percent goes to the Senate and 60 percent is taken by the House of Representatives because of their large size of 360 members compared to the Senate’s 109.

But it was learnt that unlike in the Dimeji Bankole-led House of Representatives when members were paid N43 million per quarter, the current leadership has only paid a maximum of N27 million to members with effect from June last year without explaining to members what happens to the balance of the money.

“That is why we want to draw the attention of Nigerians to a potential war that is about to break out in the House of Representatives unless our money is fully remitted to us as was the case in the 6th NASS,” the members warned
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by talktimi(m): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
I find it hard to take a group of people serious when they can single handedly appropriate N150 billion yearly as their salaries/entitlements, we need to talk in this country even if its through a sovereign national conference
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by bigtt76(f): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
“That is why we want to draw the attention of Nigerians to a potential war that is about to break out in the House of Representatives unless our money is fully remitted to us as was the case in the 6th NASS,” the members warned ....Like Seriously? Hear this foolish House Member ...who give a F@rting F@#ck if there's gonna be war in the House? Were Nigerians told before you guys appropriate and misappropriate funds to yourselves? Or you think Nigerians are smiling you guys raking in so much cash? Abeg una park one side joor! #mtcshewwwwwwww

1 Like

Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by talktimi(m): 7:20pm On Feb 18, 2013
bigtt76: “That is why we want to draw the attention of Nigerians to a potential war that is about to break out in the House of Representatives unless our money is fully remitted to us as was the case in the 6th NASS,” the members warned ....Like Seriously? Hear this foolish House Member ...who give a F@rting F@#ck if there's gonna be war in the House? Were Nigerians told before you guys appropriate and misappropriate funds to yourselves? Or you think Nigerians are smiling you guys raking in so much cash? Abeg una park one side joor! #mtcshewwwwwwww
u dey mind the clowns ? I honestly don't see their relevance with the way they're going now
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by YorubaOmoge: 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Let me hia word jare.

Awon ole lasan lasan

1 Like

Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2013
Find below some crucial bills still before the National Assembly (about 198 in total as at last year):

1. Petroleum Industry Bill.

2. National Health Bill.

3. The National Railway Amendment Bill.

4. The Minerals Bill to open up the solid minerals sector to private sector investment.

5. Constitutional Amendment Bill.

6. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PROTECT TELEPHONE CONSUMERS FROM THE ACTIVITIES OF TELEMARKETERS AND TO PROVIDE FOR ADEQUATE SANCTIONS AGAINST THE BUSINESS OF TELEMARKETING IN NIGERIA AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES CONNECTED THEREWITH.

7. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH A NATIONAL GRAZING ROUTE AND RESERVE COMMISSION FOR MANAGING NATIONAL GRAZING ROUTES AND RESERVE IN ALL PARTS OF NATION AND FOR INCIDENTAL MATTERS

8. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE MANDATORY INCLUSION OF CASSAVA IN THE PRODUCTION OF ALL FLOUR IN NIGERIA AND FOR OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH

9. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE STANDARDS ORGANISATION OF NIGERIA ACT S. 9 LAWS OF THE FEDERATION OF NIGERIA FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS FOR THE ORGANISATION, INCREASE PENALTY FOR VIOLATIONS, PROTECT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND FOR OTHER MATTERS RELATED THERETO

10. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY PRIMARY EDUCATION BOARD AND FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH

11. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE EROSION, DESERTIFICATION AND POLLUTION MANAGEMENT COMMISSION WHICH SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MANAGEMENT, CONTROL AND PREVENTION OF ALL EROSION, DESERTIFICATION AND POLLUTION PROBLEMS WHICH ARISE FROM EVIRONMENTAL DEGRATION IN NIGERIA AND OTHER MATTER THERETO

12. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ALTER THE PROVISIONS OF NIGERIA, 1999 TO SEPERATE THE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY-GENERAL FROM THE MINISTER OF JUSTICE AND TO PROVIDE FOR AN INDEPENDENT OFFICE OF THE RELATED MATTER THERETO.

13. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMMEND THE COASTAL AND INLAND SHIPPING (CABOTAGE) ACT, NO.5 OF 2003 AND FOR RELATED MATTERS.

14. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO MAKE DEVELOPMENT PLANNING COMPULSORY FOR ALL TIERS OF GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA AND TO CREATE COHERENT AND MEASURABLE TARGETS IN DEVELOPMENTAL INITIATIVES IN SUPPORT OF THE ATTAINMENT OF THE GOALS OF VISION 20:20:20 AND FOR RELATED MATTERS.

15. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE NATIONAL INTEGRATED RURAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY AND OTHER MATTERS RELATED THERETO.

16. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PROHIBIT THE MOVEMENT FROM 6AM TO 6PM OF CERTAIN ARTICULATED VEHICLES ON NIGERIAN ROADS AND TO PROVIDE FOR OTHER RELATED MATTERS.

While these crucial bills lie unpassed, these mofos can only think about "salary shortchange"? Like really?
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2013
Now they've forgotten party differences and ideology! D so called 'progressives' are now busy agitating for d progress of their pockets wt members of d party they accuse of holding d con3 to ransom.
I pity d certificate-wielding-illiterates that subscribe to d idea of a messiah party or individual in Nigerian politics.

1 Like

Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nuzo1(m): 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
And here I am thinking the war among the representatives was about 'progressive honourables' campaigning for PAY Reduction. shocked

1 Like

Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by talktimi(m): 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
At this juncture, it is plain for all to see that a bi-cameral legislature is too expensive for this country to run, I propose a uni cameral legislature with our assembly members paid on a part time basis of only sitting allowance.
The freed up funds will go a long way to service infrastructure and other deficiencies all over the country.
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nobody: 5:01am On Feb 19, 2013
It is kinda fitting that corruption is now affecting the payments of the massive salaries these corrupt law-makers who have refused to tackle corruption, have awarded themselves.

Now somebody is cutting and banking a proportion of their salaries grin

My heart bleeds for them cheesy grin cheesy

When order breaks down it becomes "dog eat dog".

1 Like

Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by idupaul: 6:45am On Feb 19, 2013
GenBuhari: It is kinda fitting that corruption is now affecting the payments of the massive salaries these corrupt law-makers who have refused to tackle corruption, have awarded themselves.

Now somebody is cutting and banking a proportion of their salaries grin

My heart bleeds for them cheesy grin cheesy

When order breaks down it becomes "dog eat dog".

Exactly
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 19, 2013
For once,I'm tempted to think about re-colonization of Nigeria.this politicians are just after their pockets;leaving Nigerians to suffer and die.

angry
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nuzo1(m): 7:18am On Feb 19, 2013
talktimi: At this juncture, it is plain for all to see that a bi-cameral legislature is too expensive for this country to run, I propose a uni cameral legislature with our assembly members paid on a part time basis of only sitting allowance.
The freed up funds will go a long way to service infrastructure and other deficiencies all over the country.

One of the major disadvantages of your proposal is that the demand for kickbacks will increase massively. And it will be done openly and with intimidation.

We are talking about Nigerians here.
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by talktimi(m): 7:58am On Feb 19, 2013
Nuzo':

One of the major disadvantages of your proposal is that the demand for kickbacks will increase massively. And it will be done openly and with intimidation.

We are talking about Nigerians here.
be that as it may but I don't think the kickbacks will ever amount up to N150 billion that is desperately needed in other sectors of the economy.
I also propose that the opposition elements in the national assembly utilize this situation and kick up a ruckus by demanding a downsizing of the salaries and emoluments of assembly members for the greater good of the nation, this will swing the sympathies of ordinary Nigerians to them thereby ensuring a wider support base come 2015 general elections.
Re: Crisis Rocks House Of Reps Over Salary Short Change by Nuzo1(m): 8:44am On Feb 19, 2013
talktimi: be that as it may but I don't think the kickbacks will ever amount up to N150 billion that is desperately needed in other sectors of the economy.

The multiplier affects of kickbacks can actually surpass N150 billion in 2 months. Cos when I give you kickbacks, you dare not question the outcome of projects or contracts.
Be reminded that these projects are in trillions of dollars.

talktimi:
I also propose that the opposition elements in the national assembly utilize this situation and kick up a ruckus by demanding a downsizing of the salaries and emoluments of assembly members for the greater good of the nation, this will swing the sympathies of ordinary Nigerians to them thereby ensuring a wider support base come 2015 general elections.

Well, I also hope the 'progressives' utilize the situation too. But then again, we are here hoping while they are there threatning fire and brimestones if their salary is not upped.

If you ask me, I'll say birds of the same feather.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

IBB Supports APC ( Action For Progressive Change) / Sanusi Lamido To Quit CBN In 2014 / KANO Under Heavy Attack.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.