Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,885 members, 7,889,931 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:38 AM

Your First Experience In The United States - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your First Experience In The United States (5657 Views)

Photo Of White Man Munching #amala On First Experience In Lagos / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Experience In The United States by SeanT21(f): 5:13pm On Mar 15, 2008
Please share with us your first experience in the United States,
My first experience in the US was horrible. I went to school toke a test and got an E on it when i was in middle school. I went to my mother all happy and excited thinking i got an EXCELLENT!! I told her, she was happy so she went and told her aunt. Her aunt been here over 20 years and she knows everything. She went downstairs show her the test paper and my aunt started laughing. My Aunt told her that in the US, E stands for 50% on a test. In other terms, i fail the test really bad. My Mother was disappointed and i had to study the whole evening till midnight. I wasn't Happy at all.

Another experience was that i went to take bath. It was my first time taking bath in the US. Soon as i went into the shower, i turn the knob and the water came spraying on me from the showerhead. I was so afraid, that i went downstairs screaming naked. My uncle and some family members was there and i was the joke of the month.

The other time me and my black American friends went to Lakeforest mall in Germantown,MD. It was my first time shopping in the US. We went to eat and relax and they ask me what i wanted to eat and i said i didn't care since i didn't know what to pick. My friend Joyce said that i should try the Hot Dogg. Soon as she said that i scream in the whole store saying " i dont want to eat no doggs". Everybody was looking at me like i was crazy and all my friends started laughing. They explain to me about the HOT DOGG and then i realize it was just a name. I also started laughing!!
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by drrionelli(m): 2:17am On Mar 18, 2008
Your stories are truly delightful! You have a gift for relating incidents that are amusing and make your readers feel at ease.

Thank you for sharing these! Do you have others?
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Please share with us your first experience in the United States,
My first experience in the US was horrible. I went to school toke a test and got an E on it when i was in middle school. I went to my mother all happy and excited thinking i got an EXCELLENT!! I told her, she was happy so she went and told her aunt. Her aunt been here over 20 years and she knows everything. She went downstairs show her the test paper and my aunt started laughing. My Aunt told her that in the US, E stands for 50% on a test. In other terms, i fail the test really bad. My Mother was disappointed and i had to study the whole evening till midnight. I wasn't Happy at all.

Another experience was that i went to take bath. It was my first time taking bath in the US. Soon as i went into the shower, i turn the knob and the water came spraying on me from the showerhead. I was so afraid, that i went downstairs screaming naked. My uncle and some family members was there and i was the joke of the month.

The other time me and my black American friends went to Lakeforest mall in Germantown,MD. It was my first time shopping in the US. We went to eat and relax and they ask me what i wanted to eat and i said i didn't care since i didn't know what to pick. My friend Joyce said that i should try the Hot Dogg. Soon as she said that i scream in the whole store saying " i don't want to eat no doggs". Everybody was looking at me like i was crazy and all my friends started laughing. They explain to me about the HOT DOGG and then i realize it was just a name. I also started laughing!!

Lakeforest mall is not in Germantown. MD
It's in Gaithersburg MD. that was my mall cool
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by SeanT21(f): 9:47pm On Mar 18, 2008
at drionelli

thanks to you a lot!!

at nwand

i live in Germantown for 5 years. Germantown and Gaithersburg are so close together that i always forget.
Ex My school Watkins Mill was in Gaithersburg but i always said it was in Germantown because of the short distance. Sorry for the mistake. To all LAKEFOREST MALL IS IN GAITHERSBURG!!
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Dreloaded(f): 9:57pm On Mar 18, 2008
Sean, with these stories, I now know why they think Africans jump from tree to tree embarassed tongue

osisi, how long were you/have you been in MD sef
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by grafikdon: 11:15pm On Mar 18, 2008
1. Saw a homeless oyibo man doing 'Babi All-ah' outside JFK shocked shocked what a morale 'booster' lipsrsealed

2. While on a field trip to the Bronx zoo, a gorilla came close to the glass partition right in front of me and gaped at me for a few seconds. One of my oyibo classmates said (loud enough for people in Afghanistan to hear) the gorilla was thinking '' Hey (insert my name), what are ya doing out there? Come and join me, my brother''. To cut the long story short, I was called a monkey's brother. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3. I saw serious mounds of raw poop in the subway. . . undecided shocked shocked

Chineke God of Saudi Arabia!!!! Na shock upon shock o- - - even 'area boys' for Manhattan fleeced the daylight out of me. They charged me $17.00 and put me in a yellow cab, telling me it was the fare to Queens. Little did I know they just played me for a sucker, because you don't pay no yellow cab in advance, you gotta pay what the meter reads at the end of ya journey. . . shocked shocked lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Dreloaded(f): 11:45pm On Mar 18, 2008
Rofl grin
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by uspry1(f): 1:39am On Mar 20, 2008
Check out for more detail existing thread at below:

What did you first experience in the US?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-13439.0.html
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by echelon(m): 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2008
I got to DFW airport that afternoon and needed to make a call to our secretary. I walked up to a gentleman in hat and asked where I can make a call, he directed me to the phone booths after giving me some coins (He recoiled when I gave him a $100 bill to get coins). When I got to the booth, I could not figure how to use the phone and the thing kept taking my coins and refusing to connect my call. I felt bad and was figuring what to do when some black sisters strolled by and I asked if I could use their mobile. They obliged and I made that call.

After going through Smith Driving course, I had to miss my way a number of times before I finally got the gist of the ramps and exits. Sometimes, I'll be on the wrong side of the road and looking over where I ought to be on the other side.
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by davidif: 6:31pm On Sep 20, 2009
grafikdon:

1. Saw a homeless oyibo man doing 'Babi All-ah' outside JFK shocked shocked what a morale 'booster' lipsrsealed

2. While on a field trip to the Bronx zoo, a gorilla came close to the glass partition right in front of me and gaped at me for a few seconds. One of my oyibo classmates said (loud enough for people in Afghanistan to hear) the gorilla was thinking '' Hey (insert my name), what are ya doing out there? Come and join me, my brother''. To cut the long story short, I was called a monkey's brother. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3. I saw serious mounds of raw poop in the subway. . . undecided shocked shocked

Chineke God of Saudi Arabia!!!! Na shock upon shock o- - - even 'area boys' for Manhattan fleeced the daylight out of me. They charged me $17.00 and put me in a yellow cab, telling me it was the fare to Queens. Little did I know they just played me for a sucker, because you don't pay no yellow cab in advance, you gotta pay what the meter reads at the end of ya journey. . . shocked shocked lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed

What the heck,  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked did you slap the oyinbo boy.

poster,
your story was funny.
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Konadub: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2009
A nigerian friend of mine was puzzled as how to dial alphabetical phone number on a phone. I told him to call 1-800-THE-DIAL and he was like that's impossible. grin
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by SeanT21(f): 12:12am On Sep 22, 2009
Konadub:

A nigerian friend of mine was puzzled as how to dial alphabetical phone number on a phone. I told him to call 1-800-THE-DIAL and he was like that's impossible. grin

Haha~~I thought the same thing also.
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by dayokanu(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2009
One day when I first got to Chicago, I wanted to get a Driver License and they directed me to another location.

I MISTAKENLY asked a "Brother" and he went above and beyond explaining, I thanked him and left, I still saw him following me even into the subway, I was scared cos I have heard of how violent some Americans can be and Guns are licensed and this was in the Notorious South side

The guy now came to meet me and begged for money I was so scared that I gave him $20 as that was the lowest denomination on me. I just arrived from Naija and I was very scared that "Make this guy no use me for shooting practice".

Later when my initial cash finished and hunger begin wire me small I remembered the $20 "GIFT"

1 Like

Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Jarus(m): 10:22am On Sep 22, 2009
dayokanu:

The guy now came to meet me and begged for money I was so scared that I gave him $20 as that was the lowest denomination on me. I just arrived from Naija and I was very scared that "Make this guy no use me for shooting practice".
grin grin grin
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by chic2pimp(m): 11:26am On Sep 22, 2009
davidif:

What the heck, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked did you slap the oyinbo boy.

Wahlai the bobo should have slapped the white out of him. *Nonsense*
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Shola2009(m): 12:25am On Sep 23, 2009

Later when my initial cash finished and hunger begin wire me small I remembered the $20 "GIFT"
lol. gift grin.we've all been there, when money finish, we go start to think of all the "Gifts" wey we don give out
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by Oluschenco(m): 2:35pm On Sep 23, 2009
Did you mean while i am dreaming, if not, may be i will share it when i get there.
Re: Your First Experience In The United States by davidif: 5:50am On Sep 29, 2009
Wahlai the bobo should have slapped the white out of him. *Nonsense*

My guy, i am still pissed of about that story, why the boy no sound the oyinbo boy is still beyond me.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Want To Be Born Again As A Nigerian? / Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings / African Culture Compared To European

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.