Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,333 members, 7,884,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 02:28 PM

Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID (24987 Views)

Zenith Bank Charged Me This For A 5Dollar Transaction *pix Attached**** / GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking / Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by spenca: 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
ifyalways: Things get as e be for this country.
For GTB,You must have a current account with them before you can use WU.I almost cried for a lady with a sick mom dying in the hospital and her WU withheld by GTB.

As for those criticizing The OP's brother,its easy to cast stones in the comfort of your PC.When the Naija reality slaps you rudely,you'll play game fast.
Well this may appeal to some weak minds buh you should know that some ppl can differenciate their left from RIGHTS
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by RoyalRoy(m): 9:13am On Feb 23, 2013
This story hold no water at all.
Which bank boy/lady in his right senses will demand for #10k before offering a service that is free?
To who's account will the money go to? The BM? The HOP or the whole bank wl use it to buy chewing gum for xmas?
Have u thought your brother COULD have gotten some of his friends to speak to you on phone & act like the bank tellar?
Did the person you spoke to TELL you in person that he will charge you #10k to pay your brother?
And no bank will EVER tell you they don't accept national I.d card as it is even more accepted than the driver's liscence you claim they required!
Why didn't your brother go to another branch?
Here you come claiming you spoke to them at the bank!!!
Before you come here calling Nigeria a crazy & failed country do put your intelligence into use!!

6 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by 234GT(m): 9:47am On Feb 23, 2013
As a banker, I know this story is cooked up. No banker will demand for 10k because he knows he will be sacked. Simple.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Revolva(m): 9:48am On Feb 23, 2013
payless: Is he right to have paid N10,000 bribe to receive WU without correct ID?

I sent $1,000 to my brother this morning while he was at the bank. To my surprise, they refused to release the money to him except he agrees to pay them 10,000 naira bribe because his driver's license expired 10th February, 2013. He also had his voters' I.D card and national card with him. They refused any other I.D ecxept drivers' license. What kind of corrupt country is this? When is this country going to start to do the right thing? How something like this should be happening?

what tha f..... he has a national ID and hey still refuse...that bank branch must be reported....i do recieve WU with my national ID..any time any day....i dont think voters ID..is suitable for now..but am sure it can also be used....
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 23, 2013
your brother is not telling you the truth. stop insulting the country. either you are your brother's mugu or your brother is a leaner.
i have sent money to my sister even with mistakes on the senders 1st name and they paid her the money.

besides, western Union Nigeria is in partnership with FirstBank Nig. Plc. all your brother needs to do is go to western union office with anybody that has account with Firstbank as referee. fill the form, the refree will put his first bank account name and number and they will collect the cash sharp sharp.

like i said, stop rubbishing the name of the country, you and your brother are to blame.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by jeffizy(m): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2013
coogar:

things might have the changed especially with the scourge of yahoo boys. anyone can make any national ID card with any name and claim MTCN. banks have a duty to protect themselves from fraudsters.
flouting CBN directive is a wrong way of "protecting" themselves. Afterall, gtb and ecobank-and some other banks make you open an account with them. They have no right to demand bribe.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Umargarr(m): 9:58am On Feb 23, 2013
Pls send a mail to ubacic@ubagroup.com and lay ur complaints , that's if you re sure your brother is not the one trying to swindle you! Be sure your facts are right, cos you are definitely chasing somebody's job.

3 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by sirugos(m): 9:59am On Feb 23, 2013
@ op. Such a thing has happened to me. I immediately writes to their head office with a constructive mail. Oboy see panic among d staff when they receive respond 4rm there head office. See begging even the branch manager follow beg. Is nt even upto 30mins my money waz realised. With enough sorry sir and thank u sir. So if u have enough evidence just write to their head office.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by jimjones: 10:02am On Feb 23, 2013
farkin yahoo boys. next time your imaginary brother carry false id go bank, na 50% him go lose...or e go face mopo. idiats.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 23, 2013
UBA for you.

**Wise men bank with UBA, wise women with UBA, open a savings account today with UBA, UBA** grin grin
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 23, 2013
i think he made the right move.if had gone home and came back the next day ,the 1000 dollars will be become story
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by honeric01(m): 10:09am On Feb 23, 2013
With a national ID and also a voter's card, you can get any amount sent to you via western union from the bank. (But you must have an account with them).

If your brother went with a voter's card or national ID, he should have freely collected the money.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by andyanders: 10:10am On Feb 23, 2013
Poster, I think your brother is not economical with the truth here. It could be that he is trying to scam you too. If his D/L has expired, they can ask him to bring an account holder with the Bank to identify him. Also, it could be that there is standing order to pay with only D/L as means of identification. Your brother knew the D/L has expired, why use it? Also, your brother must have an account with UBA for him to be legible to collect his money.

No banker will take the risk of asking him to pay 10k. I believe that what transpired here with your brother is this; since his D/L has expired, maybe someone who owns account with the bank and is willing to provide his/her Identification to stand for him s an account holder with the bank, asked him to pay him 10k for him to identify him by providing his information for your brother. Not the bank that asked him. Maybe someone that wanted to use his own ID to identify him since his own D/L has expired.

Note that the bank has to make returns to the Central Bank hence proper documentation to be provided by the receiver and the paying bank.

Something is wrong with the story because your brother could have also arranged to collect the said 10k to himself if the money was meant for family members by telling you that it was the bank that asked him to pay. Is he not aware that his D/L has expired? No bank will refuse paying him if he presents National Identity Card if his D/L has expired. You brother is not telling you the truth,PERIOD.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by honeric01(m): 10:10am On Feb 23, 2013
olas2u: i think he made the right move.if had gone home and came back the next day ,the 1000 dollars will be become story

Not possible, you're not allowed to give out the 10 digits number to anyone, not even the cashier knows your last 4 digits number. it has to be entered separately in a machine before the transaction can be processed. leaving wouldn't do zilch to the money.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 23, 2013
Requoted for being on point.

PapaBrowne: I don't believe this story one inch. It is either your brother is deceiving you to get more money out of you or something is absolutely wrong.

First, we all go to banks everyday here in Nigeria. There is no bank that collects bribe to offer a service. It is absolutely impossible. The banks are one sector in Nigeria where corruption is at its barest minimum.

You have to ask your brother more questions. Banks in Nigeria wouldn't give you Western Union if your ID is incomplete and the aim is actually to protect you from falling victim to scammers. It would have cost almost nothing to get that license renewed.

And please why does your brother expect to access banking services without a valid ID CARD. In the country where you are based can you do anything without identification?? You cant even cash your paycheck without an ID. You cant even get a job without social security. You can hardly access healthcare without health Insurance. You cannot even stay in some hotels without a credit card. You cant do anything without identification.

Why on earth do you expect your brother to access services without identification. For your information, Nigeria is changing and many things you could get away with easy previously have become more difficult.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by FirstOpinion: 10:11am On Feb 23, 2013
The Giver and The Taker Of The Bribe Is Same.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by pappilo(m): 10:12am On Feb 23, 2013
coogar:

things might have the changed especially with the scourge of yahoo boys. anyone can make any national ID card with any name and claim MTCN. banks have a duty to protect themselves from fraudsters.

The whole gist of the story is lost on you.

Do you not think a Yahoo boy will go well prepared probably with a fake Drivers license expiring in 2053?

If they so cared about security, how come N10,000 secured the release of the funds?
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by ganjah: 10:13am On Feb 23, 2013
Sharrap moderator! Big lies
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Z8(m): 10:13am On Feb 23, 2013
991: your brother is not telling you the truth. stop insulting the country. either you are your brother's mugu or your brother is a leaner.
i have sent money to my sister even with mistakes on the senders 1st name and they paid her the money.

besides, western Union Nigeria is in partnership with FirstBank Nig. Plc. all your brother needs to do is go to western union office with anybody that has account with Firstbank as referee. fill the form, the refree will put his first bank account name and number and they will collect the cash sharp sharp.

like i said, stop rubbishing the name of the country, you and your brother are to blame.

Am sorry but this is just the truth if he had his national id card nothing is stopping him from collecting it. every bank has a customer care number, call the number report and watch all hell break loose..

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 23, 2013
honeric01:

Not possible, you're not allowed to give out the 10 digits number to anyone, not even the cashier knows your last 4 digits number. it has to be entered separately in a machine before the transaction can be processed. leaving wouldn't do zilch to the money.

JJC
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 23, 2013
This is no ranting bro, he said it as it is.

National ID card is accepted by banks even for transactions far far above yours. So you can't blame someone for doubting your story.

Something somewhere don't just add up.

payless:

Why are you ranting? Have you read the post and comprehend at all? He had his ID which is drivers' license but expired on February 10, 2013. He had voters' card and National card which they did not accept from him. He was asked to go and renew his drivers' license or get an International Paspport.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by GENTLETEE(m): 10:20am On Feb 23, 2013
I dont think your brother is telling the truth. If he did he acted out of extreme desperation. No bank official will readily risk his job for a meagre 10,000 naira.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by surveyProf(m): 10:20am On Feb 23, 2013
payless:

UBA Dopemu, Lagos.

Does UBA pay out western union, I thought they only payout money gramme, I might be wrong!
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by dre44k(m): 10:21am On Feb 23, 2013
@ OP your brother shuld'nt have paid dat 10k, he shuld av talked to one of the attendant @ the customer care...That's scam#myopinion
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by honeric01(m): 10:24am On Feb 23, 2013
olas2u:

JJC

In your mind, you think you know better right? as long as he hasn't imputed the last 4 digits in the machine, nothing is going to happen to the money. take it or leave it.

If you input the last 4 digits wrongly in the machine 3 times, the transaction gets blocked.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2013
jim jones: farkin yahoo boys. next time your imaginary brother carry false id go bank, na 50% him go lose...or e go face mopo. idiats.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by andyanders: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2013
Poster, I think your brother is not economical with the truth here. It could be that he is trying to scam you too. If his D/L has expired, they can ask him to bring an account holder with the Bank to identify him. Also, it could be that there is standing order to pay with only D/L as means of identification. Your brother knew the D/L has expired, why use it? Also, your brother must have an account with UBA for him to be legible to collect his money.

No banker will take the risk of asking him to pay 10k. I believe that what transpired here with your brother is this; since his D/L has expired, maybe someone who owns an account with the bank and is willing to provide his/her Identification to stand for him as an account holder with the bank, asked him to pay him 10k for him to identify him by providing his information for your brother. Not the bank that asked him. Maybe someone that wanted to use his own ID to identify him since his own D/L has expired.

Note that the bank has to make returns to the Central Bank hence proper documentation to be provided by the receiver and the paying bank.

Something is wrong with the story because your brother could have also arranged to collect the said 10k to himself if the money was meant for family members by telling you that it was the bank that asked him to pay. Is he not aware that his D/L has expired? No bank will refuse paying him if he presents National Identity Card as an alternative if his D/L has expired. You brother is not telling you the truth,PERIOD
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by honeric01(m): 10:26am On Feb 23, 2013
surveyProf:

Does UBA pay out western union, I thought they only payout money gramme, I might be wrong!

I was wondering too, maybe they have started doing WU too.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by surveyProf(m): 10:28am On Feb 23, 2013
honeric01:

I was wondering too, maybe they have started doing WU too.

They can only do just one, either WU or MG, and frm experience, they only do MG!
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 23, 2013
You and your brother are to blame for your stupidity and feeding corruption in Nigeria. WU can be collected from almost any bank in nigeria, why must it be uba?

Could he not scout other banks to get the money. What rubbish. I am sure your brother is a very timid person likewise you because I don't see how that is possible with me.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by tjskii(f): 10:29am On Feb 23, 2013
@op this story is so not true,ur brother just scammed you,national I.d card is used to collect W.U,and no banker will colect 10k as bribe,telll ur broda uv decided to take the matter up with d bank,he'll sharply confess,u kno kids of nowadays always trying to make a quick buck
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by menix(m): 10:30am On Feb 23, 2013
Supprised pple re doubting d story, its a norm in most bank branches. 70% of money transfer into 9ja re scam so diz officerz use such advantage 2 get der share.. Some bank officerz wuld even negotiate percentage.

Only doz in d system would acknowledge d above is fact..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Complaints Mount As Enaira App Tops 100,000 Downloads / Who Has Successfully Paid For Facebook Ads In Naira? / Michael Ibru’s Service Of Songs In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.