Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,172 members, 7,880,659 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:14 AM

3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? (35241 Views)

Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Lampsy(m): 4:23pm On Mar 09, 2013
manny4life: Observing thread... btw, what's a Third Class Degree?
Degree notable persons lyk Gani,SoyinkaJimoh,Falana,Dele Momodu..etc graduated wit wink
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 09, 2013
Me I be 3rd class and I'm a manager in my uncle's company earning 150k/month......ur degree dey up stairs mehn ...na God's favour biko..

2 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by efepens: 4:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
@ OkwaIfugo she or he is too dump to understand what you re talking about.. U re so right.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Benbiana(f): 4:25pm On Mar 09, 2013
[quote
author=OkwaIfugo]

3rd class won't
hinder anyone from achieving what He or she wants .[/quote]
you are right
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Burger01(m): 4:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
omaigala: Most people 2.2s & 2.1s bribed or cheated to be awarded with such grades. How about that?
That's hardly true... BTW, did you bribe and it didn't work out for you?..hence your grievance?

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by beckyomas(f): 4:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
samm_miey: fella,did u say u graduated with ist class and u typed this s.hit?certificates don't really count indeed,wot matters is wot u av in ur medulla oblangata
Gee! Man, d dude is just being funny (sarcastic)...got me cracking up real bad...well 3rd class is better dan a certificate of attendance
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ckkris: 4:27pm On Mar 09, 2013
byvan:

Big lie!!!!I earned mine!!!100percent my efforts and God's mercies.

Do you, Mr 1st Class, understand the difference between 'most' and 'all'?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by sundayk: 4:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
common wake up! third class does not mean all is finished. Success itself is a journey. Its better not to have a degree at all rather than to graduate with third class(for me). Companies/Organizations these days demands for 2-2 at least before you can write their test.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 09, 2013
ckkris:

Do you, Mr 1st Class, understand the difference between 'most' and 'all'?

My point Mr third class is that most earned their degree,few bribed their way through.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Osaro4u2k(m): 4:34pm On Mar 09, 2013
a 3rd class degree is not bad but looking at the way things is run in nigeria, i cant advise any dude to go get that grade from the university as they say at-all at-all na him bad pass biko you cant compare a 3rd class degree holder with no degree at all dude pls
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by omowolewa: 4:35pm On Mar 09, 2013
3rd class is better than 'non-class'.

I know a lecturer who had 3rd class. He is very brilliant, now a PhD holder, was a HOD/DEAN to first class lecturers and students, he is an ICON of his profession. God bless Prof.

He can't achieve the above if he had 'non-class' B.Sc.

2 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Phonon: 4:35pm On Mar 09, 2013
Death or being in a vegetative state in the hospital?Which is better?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by crackhouse(m): 4:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
3rd class is better than no degree by far. u don't need to compare the two at all.

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by palamo(m): 4:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
Hello house, I made a 3rd class in a course that didn't offer any prospects in Nigeria (zoology). Today I work in a multinational oil company and get paid in $! Never had any godfathers to help me but I have been lucky and blessed by the grace of God. Try and stop looking at a 3rd class degree as a disadvantage but look at it as a second chance to make a 1st class in the outside world. We just have to try and work harder and be more diligent in our daily lifes but most importantly, never look down on ourselves! All a 3rd class does is prevents you from applying for some jobs that need a 2:1 or a first class it doesn't show how dumb or smart you are. Develop and discipline yourselves, put in a little more effort, PRAY hard and always be willing to learn and great things can happen to you. Many of us that made 3rd classes were thought of as dreamers but remember, the foundations of every society were laid by men that had dreams and chased them and not by those that buried their heads in books and crammed them full of things that won't be used at all in real life! In essence, be the best you can be from now on!

13 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by dnawah(m): 4:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
herkeym001: Gods favour is better
i 2 need am o!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Ashmark(m): 4:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
You guys are just giving examples' of those who graduated with 3rd class like 20yrs ago.Why not give examples of recent time...1st class,2nd class and third class they all have class.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by seedorfabbey: 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
Thirdy is far better than NO
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by tspun(m): 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
Spelling no mean any thing u yeah
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
Na wa oh. Reading most posts on this thread makes it seem 'cool' or 'swaggy' (whatever the hell that means, lol) to have a 3rd Class degree. I'm feeling so left out.

However, it is important to put the topic in its proper context.

If you're going to graduate from school and head straight into entrepreneurship, then of course Third Class, or even Pass, or even the dreaded bottom-rung 'Certificate of Attendance' are all as good as a 1st Class. The experience and exposure of campus life is all that matters. Your ability as an entrepreneur has little to do with your class of degree.

However, if your intention, like the millions of other graduates that made 1st Class, 2.1, and 2.2 grades, is to enter the fiercely competitive job market and apply for vacant positions in any decent organisation, then, quite frankly, I don't see how you can compete. How would you compete when EVERY organisation worth working in/for invite only candidates with at least 2.2 degrees to participate in their recruitment processes? Indeed, if one claims to be quite brilliant and gifted, in spite of his Third Class degree, there are always other people that are just as brilliant and gifted as you are - who also, unlike you, happen to have 2.2, 2.1, or ieven 1st Class degrees. Who, then, is more qualified (all round) for the job? The truth is that competition in the Nigerian labour market is severe and unprecedented. There is simply no way a Third Class Graduate can compete for most jobs (especially non-professional/technical jobs and entry-level jobs), under fair circumstances.

Caveat: I'm assuming that Third Class degree holders would not rely on 'connections', bribes, and other such backdoor nonsense to get jobs ahead of more qualified graduates. Since Nigeria is a hopelessly corrupt country, it is not surprising to see Third Class graduates in positions that they would not be eligible for in an open and fair recruitment process. That is another matter altogether.

7 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by dnawah(m): 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
Na certificate 2 heaven?my papa na standard 5 him carry travel round d world.; D
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by crackhouse(m): 4:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lampsy:
Degree notable persons lyk Gani,SoyinkaJimoh,Falana,Dele Momodu..etc graduated wit wink
abeg make una no dey use these people as an example because some of them later enrolled in the university for the second time and came out with something better which contributed to their success in life and not the third class as you may be thinking.

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by phillip001(m): 4:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
some 2.2 can not defend it,in nigeria today what counts is what you can bring to the table.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ckkris: 4:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
byvan:

My point Mr third class is that most earned their degree,few bribed their way through.

Well and good, Mr Genius. Nigerians will be blessed as you out-perform Soyinka, Fawehimi, et al. Good luck.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by sage2(m): 4:50pm On Mar 09, 2013
palamo: Hello house, I made a 3rd class in a course that didn't offer any prospects in Nigeria (zoology). Today I work in a multinational oil company and get paid in $! Never had any godfathers to help me but I have been lucky and blessed by the grace of God. Try and stop looking at a 3rd class degree as a disadvantage but look at it as a second chance to make a 1st class in the outside world. We just have to try and work harder and be more diligent in our daily lifes but most importantly, never look down on ourselves! All a 3rd class does is prevents you from applying for some jobs that need a 2:1 or a first class it doesn't show how dumb or smart you are. Develop and discipline yourselves, put in a little more effort, PRAY hard and always be willing to learn and great things can happen to you. Many of us that made 3rd classes were thought of as dreamers but remember, the foundations of every society were laid by men that had dreams and chased them and not by those that buried their heads in books and crammed them full of things that won't be used at all in real life! In essence, be the best you can be from now on!

Word! I am in agreement.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Lordwize(m): 4:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
frosbel: I have seen 3rd class graduates who are in better positions than those who got a 1st class.

academics is only one part of the equation.

Are U a living testimony?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 4:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
Burger01: Some graduates ended up with 3rd class due to no faults of theirs but share wickedness on the part of jealous lecturers and wicked ones alike. A female friend of mine back in the uni got 3rd class as a result of one unrepentant HOD this poor lady refused to get down with...even with pleas from family members and friends the hod refused... I mean, could you imagine a lecturer wanting to tidy a pregnant final year student? Nigeria..smh.. Still 3rd class is better than no 'Class' at all...

I'm suffering the same thing but thank God the lecturer is not in my department. The lecturer took us on 3 faculty courses and he failed/gave me E in all his courses. Well, that's the worse he could do cos I can easily wave some of his courses. So his mission is to bring down my CGPA and he is succeeding. Saw one of his courses I wrote as carry-over last week, he gave me an E too, I cried bitterly and almost dropped out of school but my friends encouraged me. All the people that copied from me had As and Cs cos I studied that course and wrote it very well. I have left him for God to judge him. I have also calculated my CGPA, it falls within 2.2.

While few people earned their 2.2s, 2.1s, and 1st class, majority did not earn it. There are factors responsible for the grades. If you come to my class, the intelligent poor ones' CGPA are low, the dumb rich ones' CGPA are high cos they sort. The least sorting in my school is 8k btw, so u can imagine! We only have a breath of fresh air when we meet professors and men of integrity who make it crystal clear that they don't collect money and will give u exactly what u earn, the mere mention of it will get ur expelled sef, but how many are they? Just few!

My man wants to deal with that lecturer anyway, I trust him, I know what he can do but I don't want problems so I begged him to leave the man. He only brought down my CGPA, not my life and as sure as hell not my destiny.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ckkris: 4:54pm On Mar 09, 2013
Ashmark: You guys are just giving examples' of those who graduated with 3rd class like 20yrs ago.Why not give examples of recent time...1st class,2nd class and third class they all have class.

After Chinua Achebe, please bring up the roll call
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by segxyrema: 4:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lildav: I saw this topic being debated on ä UK blog so i was thinking, back home in Nigeria, which is better or more useful ? - a 3rd class degree, or no degree at all?
Is incomparable,3rd class degree holder stands educated,the educated level of non degree holder is uncertain.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ckkris: 4:58pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lordwize: Are U a living testimony?

Is Gani not sufficient for you?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by jamace(m): 5:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Can someone please tabulate the list of world richest men and their first degree results? I think this will give a good sample space for our analysis.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
hohafrank: It is the favor of God that counts.An illiterate that has favor of God is far better than first class.
Una d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ debate degree!How many of una ‎​dat degree don give food?all dis hustle wey we d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ hustle here na for school dem teach una.if τ̲̅ȍ say una use the money wey una take go dose schools start business some of una suppose don d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ pursue Dangote and Otedola with the kin sharp brain wey una d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take do bizness plus scam pple for here.wetin concern degree with money for Onitsha main market!!!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Exponental(m): 5:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Half bread is better than chinchin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUTA Final Year Students Sign Out In Style (Photos) / UNIBEN Shuttle Bus Used As Cargo-Bus (Pictured) / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.