Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,833 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:40 AM

3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? (35242 Views)

Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Joythah(m): 5:03pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lampsy:
Degree notable persons lyk Gani,SoyinkaJimoh,Falana,Dele Momodu..etc graduated wit wink
you left out James Ibori or is he not notable?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by JamesLucia: 5:07pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nigerians cherish papers rather than what one can offer. many have third class cos d dont hv moni to sort. 1st class is not a true test of knowledge its wt u can offer
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2013
vivian chinaza:

I'm suffering the same thing but thank God the lecturer is not in my department. The lecturer took us on 3 faculty courses and he failed/gave me E in all his courses. Well, that's the worse he could do cos I can easily wave some of his courses. So his mission is to bring down my CGPA and he is succeeding. Saw one of his courses I wrote as carry-over last week, he gave me an E too, I cried bitterly and almost dropped out of school but my friends encouraged me. All the people that copied from me had As and Cs cos I studied that course and wrote it very well. I have left him for God to judge him. I have also calculated my CGPA, it falls within 2.2.

While few people earned their 2.2s, 2.1s, and 1st class, majority did not earn it. There are factors responsible for the grades. If you come to my class, the intelligent poor ones' CGPA are low, the dumb rich ones' CGPA are high cos they sort. The least sorting in my school is 8k btw, so u can imagine! We only have a breath of fresh air when we meet professors and men of integrity who make it crystal clear that they don't collect money and will give u exactly what u earn, the mere mention of it will get ur expelled sef, but how many are they? Just few!

My man wants to deal with that lecturer anyway, I trust him, I know what he can do but I don't want problems so I begged him to leave the man. He only brought down my CGPA, not my life and as sure as hell not my destiny.
wow!!That's pathetic! Well such happens and Į̸̸̨ƭ can only bring out the best in ‎u.a degree is •̸№t all that matters.those ones sorting can never be better than ‎u cos ‎u have been through hell τ̲̅ȍ study hard so ‎u come out on fire!!I happily came out with a 2.2 and a kobo of mine touched •̸№ lecturers palm.I'm proud of myself!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by JamesLucia: 5:14pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nigerians cherish papers rather than what one can offer. many third class holders have it cos d never had money to sort lecturers. 60% of third class holders are more intelligent than first class holders.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Euckybaby(f): 5:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
3rd class is better dan non... For mor info ask prof wale soyinka.. He graduated with 3rd class n he's makin it
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Rajosh(m): 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
Usman212s: when your dad was your age, he wasn't as brilliant as you are now.
wetin concern you. Is that the topic of discussion?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Revolva(m): 5:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
I don't even need a degree sef to make it in life...but let it be there..sha
But why will I sponsor my kid to get a 3rd class..instead I go use the money open poultry farm
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
omaigala: Most people 2.2s & 2.1s bribed or cheated to be awarded with such grades. How about that?
do you need τ̲̅ȍ bribe τ̲̅ȍ get a 2.2??! Wow then ‎u were •̸№t meant for school τ̲̅ȍ say d least. iti mpataka!!!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 09, 2013
James Lucia: Nigerians cherish papers rather than what one can offer. many third class holders have it cos d never had money to sort lecturers. 60% of third class holders are more intelligent than first class holders.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Belloladan(m): 5:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
Bros Bsc is Bsc you can't change its name no matter d class u came out with
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Fantacy1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 09, 2013
Knwledge is power, it doesnt mata wat grade u ve but ur knwledge counts. Most Nigerians mk beta grade 2ru sorting while some brilliant 1s who dsnt sort end up in 3rd class..bros which is beta?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
Euckybaby: 3rd class is better dan non... For mor info ask prof wale soyinka.. He graduated with 3rd class n he's makin it
This only applies when ‎u have stuff in you.•̸№t just a dunce who comes out with a 3rd class with an empty skull hoping τ̲̅ȍ do wonders.There are pple with 1st class who r wonderfully intelligent both on paper and in reality so let's give Į̸̸̨ƭ τ̲̅ȍ dem.Some are intelligent on paper but •̸№t smart.And some are a blend of paper and real life smart.while the last group is neither paper smart nor personality smart(d sorters)all in all like Trump would say "The book smart vs The street smart".

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Osyxcel(m): 5:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
okorafor aboy: my dad had 3rd class,but he is one of the best lawyers in imo state.me,i had 2.2 but my dad dey intelligent pass me!

If we follow that sequence, Ur pikin go get 2.1, but U go dey intelligent pass am!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 09, 2013
vivian chinaza:
I'm suffering the same thing but thank God the lecturer is not in my department. The lecturer took us on 3 faculty courses and he failed/gave me E in all his courses. Well, that's the worse he could do cos I can easily wave some of his courses. So his mission is to bring down my CGPA and he is succeeding. Saw one of his courses I wrote as carry-over last week, he gave me an E too, I cried bitterly and almost dropped out of school but my friends encouraged me. All the people that copied from me had As and Cs cos I studied that course and wrote it very well. I have left him for God to judge him. I have also calculated my CGPA, it falls within 2.2.

Lecturers prey on vulnerable girls in virtually all public schools in Nigeria. By 'vulnerable', I mean academic vulnerability. However, in many of such schools, lecturers typically avoid girls that are very strong academically. They can't risk failing a girl whose script is 2.1 standard and can stand the strictest scrutiny by independent markers. That's why they settle for the less 'capable' girls, who, thankfully (for the lecturers) are often in the majority, and are often more beautiful and sexually appealing than the brilliant girls anyway. Those ones struggling to make 2.2 are the easiest preys. Randy lecturers hardly disturb academically above average girls. The risks far outweigh the reward.

While few people earned their 2.2s, 2.1s, and 1st class, majority did not earn it. There are factors responsible for the grades. If you come to my class, the intelligent poor ones' CGPA are low, the dumb rich ones' CGPA are high cos they sort. The least sorting in my school is 8k btw, so u can imagine! We only have a breath of fresh air when we meet professors and men of integrity who make it crystal clear that they don't collect money and will give u exactly what u earn, the mere mention of it will get ur expelled sef, but how many are they? Just few!

That is a sweeping declaration, and it probably indicates sour grapes. Then again, it depends on the school in question. I know for sure that most 2.1 and 1st Class graduates in reputable federal schools such as UI, OAU, UNN, UNILORIN, etc. earned it, while only a few forced their way in with help. I can't say the same for your school (and many other private and state-owned institutions).

My man wants to deal with that lecturer anyway, I trust him, I know what he can do but I don't want problems so I begged him to leave the man. He only brought down my CGPA, not my life and as sure as hell not my destiny.

If you're dating the sort of man that can "deal with" someone (I assume the 'street' way), then I guess you're not so squeaky clean as to evade the lecturer's advances at the cost of a good degree. In any case, bringing your man into the situation is a sure way of not graduating at all. Thank goodness you knew better.

2 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Gbenge77(m): 5:34pm On Mar 09, 2013
jude33084: Do you mean certificate? undecided

Because your degree is in you ♏ãn.
Besides alot of successful business and hitech guys in Naija had 3rd class.

In Shell aptitude text 3rd class did better than the so called 2nd class upper cheesy

One 2nd class upper from Delsu that graduated from masscom couldn't spell "broadcasting" cheesy cheesy grin
You gotta be kidding me!
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Gbenge77(m): 5:36pm On Mar 09, 2013
poccahunter: sometimes, if not most, grade is not the true text of knowledge.
Text or test?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Daresh(f): 5:39pm On Mar 09, 2013
Abeg stop rough play. I have a 3rd class and it has never stopped me from achieving my objectives in life
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Gbenge77(m): 5:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
Soso990240: *yawns*na nw i go knw people wey graduate wit 3rd class..hehehehehehe.
You can say that again.We ve got some shocking replies right here.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Emmy9ite(m): 5:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
A third class is better than a certificate of attendance. You don't need a degree to become a successful entrepreneur, you just need to improve the financial genius in you.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Gbenge77(m): 5:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
Daresh: Abeg stop rough play. I have a 3rd class and it has never stopped me from achieving my objectives in life
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 5:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
nony30: wow!!That's pathetic! Well such happens and Į̸̸̨ƭ can only bring out the best in ‎u.a degree is •̸№t all that matters.those ones sorting can never be better than ‎u cos ‎u have been through hell τ̲̅ȍ study hard so ‎u come out on fire!!I happily came out with a 2.2 and a kobo of mine touched •̸№ lecturers palm.I'm proud of myself!

My dear, I wish I can say the same o for me o. I never greased any lecturer's palm from 100L to 300L. So my 100L and 200L results gave me a CGPA of 2.2, have only seen one of my 300L courses result. But this 400L I'm gonna sort, in fact I just did for the first time few days ago, parted with my 10k, it was so painful! We have a lot of thieves taking us this time around and I can't afford a spill over, my school fees is 105k, then when I factor in the textbooks which are compulsory and my transport to school everyday, its not what I can risk doing. Passing through these normal sessions has been challenging for me let alone a spill over. So the ones that make sorting compulsory, I will give them and rest jare. They publish failure list first before out results sef. Ndi chineke ga akpo oku very soon!

You won't believe few of my course mates advised me to get down with this man, he is young anyway but how can I get down with a man that has no shame? No iota of integrity? He is known as a chronic womaniser in school and I REFUSE to be one of his fun tools, rubbish! He can fail me all he wants, and I'm not the only person he has victimised o. But I'd rather do a dog *God forbid* than let his filthy hands touch me!

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by wwwkaycom(m): 5:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
yy
Ashmark: You guys are just giving examples' of those who graduated with 3rd class like 20yrs ago.Why not give examples of recent time...1st class,2nd class and third class they all have class.
A lady that I know very well graduated with a 3rd class degree in Geology from AAUA in 2006." After her youth corps, she went for trainings in auto card and other computer packages. In 2009, she turned down a 90k per month job because she said it was too low for her. She now work as a consultant to 3 oil service companies on what she described as one computers based siesmic design stuff earning millions from each of them per annum. What can we say about that? I know a first class grad who works for Ondo State govt for just 45k per month. Its not really about ur class of degree but what you are able to do with it. Nevertheless, I advice young guys to be the best they can be. I graduated with a 2.1, I have a friend who made a first class, he never had to look for job even for a single day. A multinational coy gave him a job right at the convocation ground and he is doing pretty fine today just like myself and many of our coursemates. Guys, be the best you can be and if per adventure you graduate with a 3rd class, that is not the end of the world, it is only saying that you should work harder at making urself a success which may not really come from what is written on ur certificate, cheers! '
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by wwwkaycom(m): 5:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
yy
Ashmark: You guys are just giving examples' of those who graduated with 3rd class like 20yrs ago.Why not give examples of recent time...1st class,2nd class and third class they all have class.
A lady that I know very well graduated with a 3rd class degree in Geology from AAUA in 2006." After her youth corps, she went for trainings in auto card and other computer packages. In 2009, she turned down a 90k per month job because she said it was too low for her. She now work as a consultant to 3 oil service companies on what she described as one computers based siesmic design stuff earning millions from each of them per annum. What can we say about that? I know a first class grad who works for Ondo State govt for just 45k per month. Its not really about ur class of degree but what you are able to do with it. Nevertheless, I advice young guys to be the best they can be. I graduated with a 2.1, I have a friend who made a first class, he never had to look for job even for a single day. A multinational coy gave him a job right at the convocation ground and he is doing pretty fine today just like myself and many of our coursemates. Guys, be the best you can be and if per adventure you graduate with a 3rd class, that is not the end of the world, it is only saying that you should work harder at making urself a success which may not really come from what is written on ur certificate, cheers! '
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by slyashabby(m): 5:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
Third class or no third class....chebi Ȋ̝̊̅  sckul!!!abeg forget devil jo
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by TriggerHappy: 5:50pm On Mar 09, 2013
frosbel: I have seen 3rd class graduates who are in better positions than those who got a 1st class.

academics is only one part of the equation.

You are right, even SEUN got 3rd class but he used his third class knowledge very well by creating NAIRALAND. grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by acume: 5:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
Lildav: I saw this topic being debated on ä UK blog so i was thinking, back home in Nigeria, which is better or more useful ? - a 3rd class degree, or no degree at all?
The fact remains that it all depends on level of your intelligence, a lot of students are not intelligent but they come out of school with 2.1 because, nowadays your pocket determines your grade, though not in all cases, thats y we have a lot of 2.1 that cannot defend their degree, ordinarily they would have ended up going with pass. Nevertheless, there is no way we can compare someone without degree at all with a third class.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Osyxcel(m): 5:58pm On Mar 09, 2013
Since there is a level below 3rd class, I think the topic should be "Pass or no Degree, which is better"

Anyway, being a 3rd class degree holder will only make success harder to come by, except maybe of course, U're goin' into enterpreneurship, or U av some connections that can get U a good job, or God just decides to favour U.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Kassidy90(m): 5:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
A person with 3rd class degree which he/she worked for is better with some retarded with 1st class degree which they bought...atleast I had 2nd class upper in med lab science, no b moi moi ooo
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2013
ckkris:

Well and good, Mr Genius. Nigerians will be blessed as you out-perform Soyinka, Fawehimi, et al. Good luck.

The fact that you had a third class shouldn't stop you from acknowledging that their are students that lived for their studies.Life is no competition,just that your first statement was too fallacious for me to ignore.I have no business trying to out perform Soyinka,I feel great enough being Byvan.Class of degree determines no one's future btw.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ckkris: 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2013
Joythah: you left out James Ibori or is he not notable?

James Ibori is a 1st Class TChief.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by technokid(m): 6:04pm On Mar 09, 2013
i finished with a 3rd class & i hv been screened out of a couple of job interviews e.g Zenith bnk due to my degree.i was tough being jobless for 2years,started a little supply biz to pay daily bills and did professional safety course,hoping to get a job this month or next.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUTA Final Year Students Sign Out In Style (Photos) / UNIBEN Shuttle Bus Used As Cargo-Bus (Pictured) / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.