Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,344 members, 7,888,094 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:08 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491303 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:20am On May 05, 2013
pawn89:

before i make the appointment i need to have required documents also need to know the minimum amount of fund that needs to be in my account and for how long.
thanks
The minimum amount of fund you need to have has to be equal to or greater than the total amount stated on your I-20.

As for the documents, you'll need:
1) Your admission letter.
2) I-20.
3) SEVIS fee receipt.
4) Bank statement.
5) Letter from sponsor if applicable.
6) GRE/TOEFL/SAT Result printout.
7) Your international passport.
8.)WAEC/NECO result, if you're a prospective undergraduate student.
9) Proof of home ties to Nigeria, say Job offer letter, evidence of landed property etc. Not necessary you go with this but if you're able to go with any one, its ok. Just in case the VO begins to look for the home ties reason to deny you visa.

These are the ones I can reel off for now. The house members can add more to the list.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JayJsea: 1:35pm On May 05, 2013
@ all the gurus in the house pls I need your help.

I applied to 4 schools, 3 of them have offered me admission and the 4th school is still processing my application. Now my problem is I'm a bit confused and I'm not sure which 1 to choose. The schools that have accepted me are:
University of North Dakota,
University of North Texas, and
Louisiana Tech University.
While I'm still expecting a decision from University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Pls kindly advice me (with reasons) on which of them would be worth my money and time.
Secondly I hope these schools are not too lowly ranked?

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 05, 2013
Well, i think the University of North Texas is the best option for you. What do you want to study please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:28pm On May 05, 2013
JayJsea: @ all the gurus in the house pls I need your help.

I applied to 4 schools, 3 of them have offered me admission and the 4th school is still processing my application. Now my problem is I'm a bit confused and I'm not sure which 1 to choose. The schools that have accepted me are:
University of North Dakota,
University of North Texas, and
Louisiana Tech University.
While I'm still expecting a decision from University of Louisiana Lafayette.

Pls kindly advice me (with reasons) on which of them would be worth my money and time.
Secondly I hope these schools are not too lowly ranked?

Thanks.

Wow. You must have got good specifics to have landed 3 admissions.

As for your choice of school, it all depends on your priority. Is the quality of academic program your main priority? Is obtaining financial aid your top priority (that is if you're a post-graduate student)? Or is it the location or closeness to your relatives abroad that matters the most to you?
Or the weather of the host state?

For me, my main priority is obtaining financial aid while the academic quality comes next. This would lead me to pick the school that offers me funding (partial/full), and also qualifies on the academic aspect. It all depends on what you want. However, if you can comfortably afford the costs and expenses of study then the issue of financial aid won't be your priority.

If you care more about the school's course quality, ranking, school name/prestige, etc then you may have to look up the ranking lists on
http://www.usnews.com/rankings

Remember, you'll also be asked by the VO why you have chosen the school you chose.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JayJsea: 3:14pm On May 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Wow. You must have got good specifics to have landed 3 admissions.

As for your choice of school, it all depends on your priority. Is the quality of academic program your main priority? Is obtaining financial aid your top priority (that is if you're a post-graduate student)? Or is it the location or closeness to your relatives abroad that matters the most to you?
Or the weather of the host state?

For me, my main priority is obtaining financial aid while the academic quality comes next. This would lead me to pick the school that offers me funding (partial/full), and also qualifies on the academic aspect. It all depends on what you want. However, if you can comfortably afford the costs and expenses of study then the issue of financial aid won't be your priority.

If you care more about the school's course quality, ranking, school name/prestige, etc then you may have to look up the ranking lists on
http://www.usnews.com/rankings

Remember, you'll also be asked by the VO why you have chosen the school you chose.

Thanks BigFrancis

Well for me the academic quality comes 1st, followed by the location. I chose these schools for 2 reasons(research interest & small class size). I've used usnews.com and only 1 of the schools is ranked (louisiana tech) the others are tier-2 schools. I don't wany to rely solely on those rankings as the reality on ground might be different.
Do those rankings really matter much?
And does the location affect chances of getting internships?

Once again thanks for your response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JayJsea: 4:09pm On May 05, 2013
De Tus: Well, i think the University of North Texas is the best option for you. What do you want to study please?

@ De Tus sorry I didn't see your reply on time.
I want to study Electrical Engineering (masters level), University of North Texas gave me Systems Engineering(Electrical Systems Concentration), while the others gave me Electrical Engineering.

Can you give me reasons why University of North Texas is the best option?

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:15pm On May 05, 2013
University of North Texas isn't bad. GboyegaD can give you full details about the school. Best of luck bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kumulus(m): 4:24pm On May 05, 2013
Generally, this thread is for masters alone....masters doing their Masters.....that's what matters.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:28pm On May 05, 2013
kumulus: Generally, this thread is for masters alone....masters doing their Masters.....that's what matters.

lol.....mastery grin

Though that's not true. It's just because majority go for master's degree.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 4:43pm On May 05, 2013
JayJsea:

@ De Tus sorry I didn't see your reply on time.
I want to study Electrical Engineering (masters level), University of North Texas gave me Systems Engineering(Electrical Systems Concentration), while the others gave me Electrical Engineering.

Can you give me reasons why University of North Texas is the best option?

Thanks.

I didn't know you were my prospective fellow engineer. I'm also going for my masters in electrical engineering (computer engineering option). I applied to 3 schools, two offered me masters admission and one didn't. My two accepts are University of Maryland College Park (ECE option with Telecommunications major) and University of Alabama Tuscaloosa (ECE option). My reject is University of Tennessee Knoxville. My rejection from UTK stems from my non-submission of a TOEFL score even after I wrote them severally asking for a waiver. In the same vein, UA demanded for TOEFL and I wrote them a TOEFL waiver request letter and they waived the TOEFL for me and even offered me unconditional admission.

The ECE (Telecommunications major) of UM appeals more to me because the program is a dual engineering + business masters program. It is offered jointly by the ECE department and the Robin Smith School of business. Which means I'd be taking both engineering and business classes. I've always had a knack for entrepreneurship. So I guess I'd be benefiting more from the program than from pure ECE. In addition, UM ranks among the top 20 best engineering US schools. I also got full funding from the school (in form of graduate assistantship), which is my main priority anyway. cheesy

So like I said, you'll need to weigh your options and then settle down for one school based on your interests.

Are you for fall 2013 too? I guess we'd be going for the interview together. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 4:49pm On May 05, 2013
imperiouxx:

lol.....mastery grin

Though that's not true. It's just because majority go for master's degree.

Imperiouxx Baba
I've been accepted into the University of Maryland (MS + funding) and the University of Alabama (no funding). I thought i'd inform you specially, as my oga wey you be nau. wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JayJsea: 5:19pm On May 05, 2013
imperiouxx: University of North Texas isn't bad. GboyegaD can give you full details about the school. Best of luck bro.

Thanks Imperiouxx, Bros GboyegaD over to you.

kumulus: Generally, this thread is for masters alone....masters doing their Masters.....that's what matters.

lol

bigfrancis21:

I didn't know you were my prospective fellow engineer. I'm also going for my masters in electrical engineering (computer engineering option). I applied to 3 schools, two offered me masters admission and one didn't.

Are you for fall 2013 too? I guess we'd be going for the interview together. grin

Congrats!!! Yes I'm for fall 2013, hopefully we will be going for the interview together cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:24pm On May 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Imperiouxx Baba
I've been accepted into the University of Maryland (MS + funding) and the University of Alabama (no funding). I thought i'd inform you specially, as my oga wey you be nau. wink

I'm very happy for you. The bold makes my eyes glitter. God will surely see you through. All the best in your interview. Go get it!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:27pm On May 05, 2013
JayJsea:

I'll you tell GboyegaD to come online, as you know everyone is busy studying for this week and next week finals.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FindOut(m): 6:34pm On May 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Imperiouxx Baba

Congratulations bro. Just a part of God's reward to you for all the assistance you've been rendering here. His grace & favour will also be upon you at the embassy. Amen. Cheers smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:51pm On May 05, 2013
Find Out!:

Congratulations bro. Just a part of God's reward to you for all the assistance you've been rendering here. His grace & favour will also be upon you at the embassy. Amen. Cheers smiley

Tuale!

imperiouxx:

I'm very happy for you. The bold makes my eyes glitter. God will surely see you through. All the best in your interview. Go get it!
cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 7:11pm On May 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Tuale!

cheesy

I believe God for bigfrancis. Go get it bro. Cos you have all it takes plus the grace of God. My fellow ECE student!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 05, 2013
@Bigfrancis congratulations on your admit, I'm most especially happy its a top 20 ranked school in ECE. I'm also an ECE(VLSI) hopeful and will be applying for fall 2014, however, I know most of these programs are very selective. Can you drop your statistics, I mean test scores, Gpa and others also your application strategies just to give boys a heads up on preparation. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Puvguy: 7:38pm On May 05, 2013
Congrat BigFrancis! That's a top top school. You are extremely lucky to be given assistantship. On their FAQ, the program said they don't
offer teaching or research assistance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:18pm On May 05, 2013
Puvguy: Congrat BigFrancis! That's a top top school. You are extremely lucky to be given assistantship. On their FAQ, the program said they don't
offer teaching or research assistance.
Tuale.

Sharp guyz...I was exactly expecting that question from someone. grin

Yea, the program doesn't offer TAs or RAs. It is a joint program. My GA is an administrative GA which was awarded to me by the UM graduate school unit, not by my program. Graduate assistantships are generally of three types - teaching assistantship, research assistantship and administrative assistantship. Like I said sometime long ago while advising someone on this thread, its not a must you get a GA in your department. Several other GA openings (mostly administrative GA) are available in other units (usually non-academic units) elsewhere on campus. TAs and RAs are academic GAs and are usually awarded by academic departments while Administrative graduate assistantships are usually awarded by non-academic units. For UM, there's a job website where available GA postings are posted regularly. It is then left to you to pick the ones you feel you're qualified for and then apply. Its not easy though, especially when you're an international student applying from across the Atlantic.

TA, RA and AA in UM all carry the same benefits - full tuition waiver for up to 10 credits for fall and spring semesters and 8 credits and 4 credits for summer and winter semesters respectively, a generous yearly salary + health insurance benefits.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 11:54pm On May 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Tuale.

Sharp guyz...I was exactly expecting that question from someone. grin

Yea, the program doesn't offer TAs or RAs. It is a joint program. My GA is an administrative GA which was awarded to me by the UM graduate school unit, not by my program. Graduate assistantships are generally of three types - teaching assistantship, research assistantship and administrative assistantship. Like I said sometime long ago while advising someone on this thread, its not a must you get a GA in your department. Several other GA openings (mostly administrative GA) are available in other units (usually non-academic units) elsewhere on campus. TAs and RAs are academic GAs and are usually awarded by academic departments while Administrative graduate assistantships are usually awarded by non-academic units. For UM, there's a job website where available GA postings are posted regularly. It is then left to you to pick the ones you feel you're qualified for and then apply. Its not easy though, especially when you're an international student applying from across the Atlantic.

TA, RA and AA in UM all carry the same benefits - full tuition waiver for up to 10 credits for fall and spring semesters and 8 credits and 4 credits for summer and winter semesters respectively, a generous yearly salary + health insurance benefits.

A big congratulations to you Frank! You must have done a lot of extra work getting that administrative assistantship and it is very well deserved. Kudos to you!!

From my own experience so far, administrative assistantships are mostly usually available to students already on campus, and trust me, when you say it's not easy to get that from "across the atlantic", I understand you completely.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by femialade(m): 12:08am On May 06, 2013
fittty:

Hey got this from part3 of this thread. Hope it helps.......

-----------------
Google search schools that offer your chosen course. Check their requirements. Then shortlist a number of schools that are closer to your area of study & availability of financial aids/scholarships/grants or any other form of waivers,check school's rankings (it mustn't be an ivy league school) also consider school's location, cost of living, weather conditions.
Meet all application deadlines, take the standardized tests.
When you are accepted into the school, you'll be requested to submit some financial documents, proof that student has financial support with or without assistance from the school. when you meet all requirements, an I-20 form(Admission letter) will be mailed to you.
Pay a SEVIS fee at any ECOBank in Cotonou or Seme border or If you have anyone in the states, the person can pay online for you. NB: You'll need the receipt for your interview so, be mindful.
Visit the US embassy website to fill an onlne application DS-160 form. i think it varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for.(not certain)
Visit any GTBank to pay a visa application fee. You'll be issued an MRV receipt(whatever its called)lol
With all these things done, visit the usembassy website and schedule a visa interview appointment. You should know the rest.
thanks a lot bro.. God bless u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 1:10am On May 06, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I didn't know you were my prospective fellow engineer. I'm also going for my masters in electrical engineering (computer engineering option). I applied to 3 schools, two offered me masters admission and one didn't. My two accepts are University of Maryland College Park (ECE option with Telecommunications major) and University of Alabama Tuscaloosa (ECE option). My reject is University of Tennessee Knoxville. My rejection from UTK stems from my non-submission of a TOEFL score even after I wrote them severally asking for a waiver. In the same vein, UA demanded for TOEFL and I wrote them a TOEFL waiver request letter and they waived the TOEFL for me and even offered me unconditional admission.

The ECE (Telecommunications major) of UM appeals more to me because the program is a dual engineering + business masters program. It is offered jointly by the ECE department and the Robin Smith School of business. Which means I'd be taking both engineering and business classes. I've always had a knack for entrepreneurship. So I guess I'd be benefiting more from the program than from pure ECE. In addition, UM ranks among the top 20 best engineering US schools. I also got full funding from the school (in form of graduate assistantship), which is my main priority anyway. cheesy

So like I said, you'll need to weigh your options and then settle down for one school based on your interests.

Congratulations BigFrancis. I have been waiting for a very long time to know the school you will eventually be going to. I am not in anyway surprised about your admission to UofM College Park at all. Just from reading your posts here, I came into the conclusion that you are very smart, especially with the way you write. UofM College park was one of the schools I applied to back then but I was rejected because there was no professor to supervise my research.

I never knew you are an engineer all the while.......lol. That said,you will like Maryland, there are a lot of Nigerians in the DistrictofColumbiaMarylandVirgina axis (DMV). It is going to be home away from home as you will easily make friends and build your network. Some of the old gurus on this thread who are in the IT world reside in Maryland, I can talk to them to see a way of hooking you up if you want. Many recruiting firms also come to College park to recruit every year, it will be easier for you to get a company to file for you upon graduation. Interestingly, many networking and IT companies are concentrated in Maryland and DC, that will be an added advantage as well. I will only advise you to make sure you get the necessary and appropriate certifications if possible - especially CISCO. That will be a bonus for you when job-hunting.

Congrats again bro!!! I wish you all the best as you prepare for your visa interview. Lest I forget, on behalf of many folks here, I would like to say thank you for all the GRE materials you passed across. Many people here prayed openly and in closed doors for you. Who knows maybe their prayers was part of the reasons why you got a fully funded M.S admission in such a great school - we never can tell. Keep up the good work bro and don't relent. Cheers!!!

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 5:09am On May 06, 2013
JayJsea:

It is going to be difficult for me to advise you on why you should attend UNT because I have no idea on your major and also, you had your reason for applying to the school and this I believe should be your guide towards choosing which of the admits to accept. However, on a general note, the school is an interesting one with a large student population which makes it easier for you to make friends, there is a number of Nigerian students (both those who came from Nigeria and those who grew up here), it is within the Dallas Fortworth metropolis which brings you closer to employers who from time to time come to hire students for internship. In terms of Sports, the school isn't one of top schools however, the games are not too bad to see. I don't know any Nigerian in Elect else, I would have introduced you to him but all in all, I think it is a very good school because I got admitted into good phd programs with my degree.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 9:03am On May 06, 2013
@olarwarlay mehn dis ur i-20 is giving u a tough time, ikan to ba ma dara koni fi ara se giri,
Abt my "prep" still working on it brekete wht abt d SAT exam it seems u dnt intend doing anymore ?u ve nt been tallking abt it .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 11:53am On May 06, 2013
@justwise where are u? gobe won happen, these yeye agents don start again ooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by hope4me2012: 11:59am On May 06, 2013
Hello friends,
congrats to Bigfrancis on the U of M admission with full funding.
I am in a similar shoe.
I got a fully funded PhD admission at univ of Utah(molecular biology) for 2013 fall.
I have some questions.
1. Did you send a bank statement to U of M for I-20 issuance, despite your full funding? If yes, to what amount?
2. Is it required to take along a bank statement to the visa interview, despite full funding? And to what amount?

Thanks all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:59am On May 06, 2013
@Jaysea, obviously this is one of the reasons you have to choose UNT. Another reason is the issue of immigration. You might get a job before you graduate. Ponder more on your future. Not just returning home immediately after your studies. Some states are much tougher.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 06, 2013
The phD prospectives are doing well at the moment. Please take it easy so that master's degree candidates would have the chance to secure their visas.:-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:48pm On May 06, 2013
OjaP:

Congratulations BigFrancis. I have been waiting for a very long time to know the school you will eventually be going to. I am not in anyway surprised about your admission to UofM College Park at all. Just from reading your posts here, I came into the conclusion that you are very smart, especially with the way you write. UofM College park was one of the schools I applied to back then but I was rejected because there was no professor to supervise my research.

I never knew you are an engineer all the while.......lol. That said,you will like Maryland, there are a lot of Nigerians in the DistrictofColumbiaMarylandVirgina axis (DMV). It is going to be home away from home as you will easily make friends and build your network. Some of the old gurus on this thread who are in the IT world reside in Maryland, I can talk to them to see a way of hooking you up if you want. Many recruiting firms also come to College park to recruit every year, it will be easier for you to get a company to file for you upon graduation. Interestingly, many networking and IT companies are concentrated in Maryland and DC, that will be an added advantage as well. I will only advise you to make sure you get the necessary and appropriate certifications if possible - especially CISCO. That will be a bonus for you when job-hunting.

Congrats again bro!!! I wish you all the best as you prepare for your visa interview. Lest I forget, on behalf of many folks here, I would like to say thank you for all the GRE materials you passed across. Many people here prayed openly and in closed doors for you. Who knows maybe their prayers was part of the reasons why you got a fully funded M.S admission in such a great school - we never can tell. Keep up the good work bro and don't relent. Cheers!!!

Many thanks to you for your amazing words of encouragement. Wow, I didn't know M and DC had a huge concentration of IT companies. Thanks for telling me that.

As for the GRE materials, why are we here on earth if not to help ourselves out. cheesy
For those that may have prayed silently for me without my knowing it, thank you so much. May God reward you all richly.

As for the extra certification, I am currently running the MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) package. It combines network server administration plus hardware networking. How do you see the certification? CISCO is more of hardware networking but MCITP inclines towards the software part of networking.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 12:49pm On May 06, 2013
mish1010: live and work in Dubai, Qatar, Canada, and Omar get a visa in two weeks at a very affordable price call mishael now on +2348074839255 you pay after you see your visa so pleas feel free to call
Evaporate, you agent of denudation!!!! No dull brain here. Place advert somewhere else. @justwise, what are you waiting for?

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.