Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,464 members, 7,917,408 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 05:53 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (493197 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 12:19pm On May 23, 2013
Good day every1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 12:30pm On May 23, 2013
To be on a safe side you need atleast toefl for undergraduate and gre or gmat for masters. Which school is that and which degree.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 12:56pm On May 23, 2013
teejay_GO01:

No offence taken...to each his own.. Yea I did submit that but if u read my post well u would see that I was disappointed @ last min wen some of the money was used therefore reducing the balance and causing the denial.

Thanks for ur advice though I would consider it after I reapply ( as that's what I've decided to do)
I have also been discouraged abot changing sponspor but rather been advised to transfer money to that account. Which my uncle has been persuaded to do. That's where iam now. I am optimistic.

Thanks

@Teejay_G001

Sorry about your denial. God is in Control.

I have a little question to ask you.

Why didn't you go with the First Bank statement your sponsor gave you, the one which you used in procuring Admission.

For Example; your sponsor gave you a Bank statement with enough money in the Account which exceeded what you required for admission in the month of March and you got admitted with it.

And you apply for a visa by May for Example, you should have carried that same Bank statement which you used for Admission in the month of March to apply for Visa in the Month of May.

I guess where your flop came from was that you were looking for a latest Bank Statement, and the latest you had was below the required amount you needed and caused your denial.

You should have made do of what you had at that moment even though it wasn't the lastest Bank Statement as of that Month of May for Example, But it exceeded the required amount you needed.

@House hope I'm not making a mistake here, if So, pls correct me if I'm wrong, or does the US Embassy now require Current Bank Statement of the Same month one is applying for his/her visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 1:14pm On May 23, 2013
@kunsoft. Its Msc geology
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:25pm On May 23, 2013
obsy2020: Good day everybody, for usa student visa, I have my I-20, paid my SIVES FEE. I want to confirm do I need GRE,toefl during my interview since the university I applied doesn't require any of the test. Hope to get your opinions

Please, write either TOEFL or GRE for the embassy's sake. Not writing any standardized exams tells the VO you're an unserious student and will most likely lead to a denial. You're there to prove to the VO that you got potential, and how do you intend to send that message across without writing any standardized test?

If you're looking to write one that won't require much stress on your part, write TOEFL.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:44pm On May 23, 2013
conyema12: Hi guys,

Good luck to guy preparing for VISA interviews. Please don't forget to pray and fast.
God is ever faithful and He does'nt fail His people.

I am applying to a couple of schools (TAMU, UH, Univ of OKL, and WVU) for MSC in Petroleum Geology for the Spring admission even though I have already done my MSC on the same course here in Naija.

In submitting my Transcript, do I need to submit both my BSc. and MSc Transcripts for admission processing.
Will they judge me based on the 2 degrees?
How will the Internship experience I have gathered from a multinational company also help me?

My Bsc CGPA is 3.48/5.0 while my
MSc CGPA is 4.75/5.0

Please your advise will be very helpful.

From your records you'd definitely stand a better chance going for a PhD. But you said you don't want a PhD. That's fine. I myself don't want to do PhD too.

I fully understand why you want to include your former masters record in your second masters application because the former record is excellent and would stand you a chance of getting admission + funding. Sounds fine. However, I'm not sure many US schools will be willing to accept you again for masters in the same program which you've done before. Unless you give them cogent reasons in your statement of purpose why you need the second time masters. Reasons such as not gaining much from your former masters program due to the poor academic curricula of the masters program, or you want to take advantage of the US educational system that provides better learning, knowledge, practical experience and exposure.

Or you could try masters in another field closely related to petroleum geology, just like someone said before.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 1:47pm On May 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Please, write either TOEFL or GRE for the embassy's sake. Not writing any standardized exams tells the VO you're an unserious student and will most likely lead to a denial. You're there to prove to the VO that you got potential, and how do you intend to send that message across without writing any standardized test?

If you're looking to write one that won't require much stress on your part, write TOEFL.

@Bigfrancis let the guy do GRE instead.

@kunsoft take GRE instead of TOEFL.

The reason I'm saying this is that I remember a guy who got denied on this thread I don't really remember the page but his school didn't require any of the Exams both GRE and TOEFL for admission and he was actually ADMITTED to the school but he went ahead to take TOEFL for the sake of the interview and he didn't do GRE.

When he was being interviewed by the VO. The V.O requested for GRE from him but he told the V.O he didn't do GRE but did TOEFL.

The V.O told the guy not to show him any TOEFL score sheets. And he got DENIED.

So my bro take GRE, because the V.O know all this things they know TOEFL is much easy for students to perform brillantly.

I remember I guy here who got his visa, He did both SAT and TOEFL. He said something about some schools being interested in him and they kept contacting him by mail.

He had 1720 or something in SAT not too sure what is actual score was for SAT but it was around that range and had 100/110 in TOEFL. This shows how easy this exam is.

@Kunsoft if you take your time to read the pages of this thread, I bet you, you will gain and learn alot. Nairaland is really Informative

@Bigfrancis hope you understand my point here. Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by teejayGO01: 1:51pm On May 23, 2013
mr swagger:

@Teejay_G001

Sorry about your denial. God is in Control.

I have a little question to ask you.

Why didn't you go with the First Bank statement your sponsor gave you, the one which you used in procuring Admission.

For Example; your sponsor gave you a Bank statement with enough money in the Account which exceeded what you required for admission in the month of March and you got admitted with it.

And you apply for a visa by May for Example, you should have carried that same Bank statement which you used for Admission in the month of March to apply for Visa in the Month of May.

I guess where your flop came from was that you were looking for a latest Bank Statement, and the latest you had was below the required amount you needed and caused your denial.

You should have made do of what you had at that moment even though it wasn't the lastest Bank Statement as of that Month of May for Example, But it exceeded the required amount you needed.

@House hope I'm not making a mistake here, if So, pls correct me if I'm wrong, or does the US Embassy now require Current Bank Statement of the Same month one is applying for his/her visa.

Mr swagger thanks

Your correct it is beacause I wanted a latest statement. When reading thru this thread the gurus always advised potential applicants to go with a recent statement. And if they want to go with an old one they are taking a risk.
I wanted to avoid that risk but seems it backfired.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by teejayGO01: 2:29pm On May 23, 2013
OjaP I've sent u mail since oh no reply.

Pls reply thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 3:36pm On May 23, 2013
mr swagger:

@Bigfrancis let the guy do GRE instead.

@kunsoft take GRE instead of TOEFL.

The reason I'm saying this is that I remember a guy who got denied on this thread I don't really remember the page but his school didn't require any of the Exams both GRE and TOEFL for admission and he was actually ADMITTED to the school but he went ahead to take TOEFL for the sake of the interview and he didn't do GRE.

When he was being interviewed by the VO. The V.O requested for GRE from him but he told the V.O he didn't do GRE but did TOEFL.

The V.O told the guy not to show him any TOEFL score sheets. And he got DENIED.

So my bro take GRE, because the V.O know all this things they know TOEFL is much easy for students to perform brillantly.

I remember I guy here who got his visa, He did both SAT and TOEFL. He said something about some schools being interested in him and they kept contacting him by mail.

He had 1720 or something in SAT not too sure what is actual score was for SAT but it was around that range and had 100/110 in TOEFL. This shows how easy this exam is.

@Kunsoft if you take your time to read the pages of this thread, I bet you, you will gain and learn alot. Nairaland is really Informative

@Bigfrancis hope you understand my point here. Cheers bro.

The person I directed my post at was Obsy2020, not Kunsoft. Inasmuch as you have a point about him/her writing the GRE instead, some people have gone for their interviews with TOEFL only and passed. Someone who enters the embassy with only TOEFL who's smart will surely know how to hit his case during the interview. He could even come out clean and say he wrote it for the visa officer's sake!grin If the VO's has got some humor, he/she's bound to have some good laugh.

Yea, GRE carries more weight than TOEFL. But two of them are both standardized international tests and writing any one or both of them indicates seriousness.

I've read a few interviews where the VO asks for a standardized exam and the candidate presents only TOEFL and the VO then comments positively on the candidate's spoken English and further asks why he wrote the TOEFL!

Inasmuch as we try to have GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/SAT results for the interview's sake, the underlying aim of these results is to prove you're serious about studying. Your seriousness about studying can also be effectively conveyed to the VO by means of your well-structured, precise and smart answers to other questions such as why you've chosen the school, why your program, what you intend doing after schooling, the number of schools you applied to and the number of accepts and rejects you had etc. I believe I've made my point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by abbey121: 3:46pm On May 23, 2013
Hello People is it still possible for me to get an interview date in Lagos for June . i have been checking and cant find any available dates . is there any special way to go about it , please people enlighten me tell me how to go about it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 23, 2013
It seems like the candidate does not want to take any standardized tests. Is he a native speaker? I think probably not. Just leave him alone and let him gamble.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 4:42pm On May 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The person I directed my post at was Obsy2020, not Kunsoft. Inasmuch as you have a point about him/her writing the GRE instead, some people have gone for their interviews with TOEFL only and passed. Someone who enters the embassy with only TOEFL who's smart will surely know how to hit his case during the interview. He could even come out clean and say he wrote it for the visa officer's sake!grin If the VO's has got some humor, he/she's bound to have some good laugh.

Yea, GRE carries more weight than TOEFL. But two of them are both standardized international tests and writing any one or both of them indicates seriousness.

I've read a few interviews where the VO asks for a standardized exam and the candidate presents only TOEFL and the VO then comments positively on the candidate's spoken English and further asks why he wrote the TOEFL!

Inasmuch as we try to have GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/SAT results for the interview's sake, the underlying aim of these results is to prove you're serious about studying. Your seriousness about studying can also be effectively conveyed to the VO by means of your well-structured, precise and smart answers to other questions such as why you've chosen the school, why your program, what you intend doing after schooling, the number of schools you applied to and the number of accepts and rejects you had etc. I believe I've made my point.

Oh Sorry Bigfrancis, I was refering to @obsy2020. I didn't read the username clearly.

@Kunsoft sorry I wasn't refering to you in my last post, I was refering to @Obsy2020 to take TOEFL.

@BigFrancis, There is truth in what you said. Kudos to you bro. Well said.. Noted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 4:58pm On May 23, 2013
mr swagger:

Oh Sorry Bigfrancis, I was refering to @obsy2020. I didn't read the username clearly.

@Kunsoft sorry I wasn't refering to you in my last post, I was refering to @Obsy2020 to take TOEFL.

@BigFrancis, There is truth in what you said. Kudos to you bro. Well said.. Noted.

No prob guys. Please I want to clearify this:

Is TOEFL FOR UNDERGRADUATE ALONE OR BOTH UNDERGRADUATE AND MASTERS?
To my own understanding toefl is strictly for undergraduate while gmat and gre is for masters. They guy is going for masters so I will advice gre and gmat.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2013
De Tus: It seems like the candidate does not want to take any standardized tests. Is he a native speaker? I think probably not. Just leave him alone and let him gamble.

Is 50/50 chance, we have people that scale through without test. Anthonymighty is a testimony to that courtesy prof yvete mama. They guy can read his post and see how he answered the questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 5:05pm On May 23, 2013
obsy2020: @kunsoft. Its Msc geology

I will advice you if you dont have much time contact the gurus like yvete or anthonymighty they will cook the package to give vo for you. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 5:30pm On May 23, 2013
abbey121: Hello People is it still possible for me to get an interview date in Lagos for June . i have been checking and cant find any available dates . is there any special way to go about it , please people enlighten me tell me how to go about it
I av d same question. It has been 4 days now and no dates have opened up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 6:14pm On May 23, 2013
Kunsoft:

No prob guys. Please I want to clearify this:

Is TOEFL FOR UNDERGRADUATE ALONE OR BOTH UNDERGRADUATE AND MASTERS?
To my own understanding toefl is strictly for undergraduate while gmat and gre is for masters. They guy is going for masters so I will advice gre and gmat.
Thanks

@Kunsoft, TOEFL is for both Undergraduate and Graduate students. Anyone can take it..
TOEFL is used to check your proficiency in English Language. So it is required for both undergraduate and masters students.

And also regarding your Second question;
GRE is for students who are majoring in Science Subjects.

While the GMAT is for students majoring in Business. Like Business School (MBA)

In other words, if he is a Science Student, he should do both GRE and TOEFL.

And if he his going for a Business course he should do both GMAT and TOEFL.

Hope you understand.

Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by virginice: 6:51pm On May 23, 2013
My frnd has same issue. Told him to call der customer service and e was assured dat dates for 4th wk in june is nt out dat e shud kip checking. My advice is dat u strt callin der customer service frequently until d dates r out so u can register. Best of luck
abbey121: Hello People is it still possible for me to get an interview date in Lagos for June . i have been checking and cant find any available dates . is there any special way to go about it , please people enlighten me tell me how to go about it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 7:12pm On May 23, 2013
@ kunsoft, please can I. Get ur mobile number
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 7:20pm On May 23, 2013
@ kunsoft can I get ur mobile number
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 7:28pm On May 23, 2013
@ yvete and anthony can I get your mobile numbers and email
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 7:59pm On May 23, 2013
olsmade:
I av d same question. It has been 4 days now and no dates have opened up.
hey bro, u still interested in d ipad?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 8:23pm On May 23, 2013
[quote author=mr swagger]

@Kunsoft, TOEFL is for both Undergraduate and Graduate students. Anyone can take it..
TOEFL is used to check your proficiency in English Language. So it is required for both undergraduate and masters students.

And also regarding your Second question;
GRE is for students who are majoring in Science Subjects.

While the GMAT is for students majoring in Business. Like Business School (MBA)

In other words, if he is a Science Student, he should do both GRE and TOEFL.

And if he his going for a Business course he should do both GMAT and TOEFL.

Hope you understand.
[/qoute]

Thank you so much now I understand.
But on the other hand one can present one in both side abi (undergraduate and graduate)?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 10:03pm On May 23, 2013
dkgetmuny:
hey bro, u still interested in d ipad?

I got one already. From a NLer too - haywire. Thx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 10:19pm On May 23, 2013
teejay_GO01: OjaP I've sent u mail since oh no reply.

Pls reply thanks

Sorry I have been so busy these past days. I will contact you at my earliest convenience, hopefully this night.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 10:22pm On May 23, 2013
@Ojap hw far yankee dun baje gbogbo yin gbori pamo longest time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:30pm On May 23, 2013
smithjanetstore: @Ojap hw far yankee dun baje gbogbo yin gbori pamo longest time

grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 10:41pm On May 23, 2013
conyema12:

Thank you very much for that wonderful piece of information, May be I will try that... considering the fact that it will broaden my horizon. I think Msc in Petroleum Engineering is a better option compared to Geophysics because my Internship was done in Petrophysics.

PhD will probably be the best for you. Since you don't want it, you can get a second masters degree instead. People do it here a lot. Some people have more than 3 masters degree sef. However your reasons for applying for a second masters degree should make sense alot.

Like you know, Geology has many branches/concentrations. The classes and research you work on is highly dependent on your concentration. For example, if your research interest is in Hydrogeology, then you will most likely be taking more ground water classes and working on acquifers etc.

If your research interests are in the area of sedimentology/petroleum geology, then you will be doing more petrographic studies and looking at diagenesis of sandstones and carbonates. I just finished work on a similar study and in the process of completing my thesis and including the results - if you choose that, you will be looking at porosity development in sandstones, their diagenetic history and what led to the storage of oil and gas in these sandstone bodies including their accumulation and migration. These comes with studying of logs and using the SEM, Petrological microscope and XRD in analysing thin section samples.

In the same vein, if your research interest is in reservoir characterization, you will be taking more petroleum geology, oil field development, structural geology, Geophysics etc classes. Your research interests will be characterizing an oil field and be able to tell how much oil is in there, areas with more oil, and where to drill. Here, you will be coming up with different isopach maps and geological cross-sections to get your results. This will also be tied with seismic and other geophysical data if available.

Other research areas are Geophysics (seismic), Paleoclimate, Hard rock petrology, Palynology and Paleontology etc.

Reason for explaining: Depending on what research areas you worked on in your first Masters degree, you can always and easily switch to another research area in your second one but do not forget to include this when writing your SOP or contacting professors with similar research interests as yours. That wil probably be your only justification for undergoing a second masters degree.

Be warned that most oil companies talk to guys whose research interests are in the area of Petroleum Geology (Reservoir Characterization), Sedimentary Geology (Diagenesis, Porosity development etc) and Geophysics (more of seismic studies)

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 10:49pm On May 23, 2013
smithjanetstore: @Ojap hw far yankee dun baje gbogbo yin gbori pamo longest time

Mr. Smith Janet:

I always remember the female singer St. Janet whenever I read your posts. Abi na St bottles cathedral you dey attend too?? grin. That said, Yankee dun oooo, the country awaits you sir. Thanks for checking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (401)

Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.