Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,456 members, 7,917,378 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 02:59 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (493194 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 4:11pm On May 25, 2013
smartguy1759:
Thanks so much @ApachaiHopachai, this piece of information will definitely help. Please, can you drop your contact so that we can talk more.
You can send me a PM.
Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:55pm On May 25, 2013
Chemical2: @imperiouxx, thanks for your contributions........ However are you majored in the chemical sciences? Would require some clarifications.....if yes!

My major is Chemistry but my degree plan (courses and research) is Biochemistry.

Biochemistry in US may be under Chemistry (liberal arts and sciences) or Biomedical science depending on which of the two the school has or offers. This in contrary to Nigeria where Biochemistry is a standalone department.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 5:40pm On May 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

On point bro.
Did it reflect the required balance or it was printed 3/6 months back?

@Bigfrancis, My school required a total balance of #3.3Million and My sponsor had #3.9Million in his account as of March 2013.

My sponsor's current Account balance as of April and May 2013 is about #1.7Million, which is below what I needed.

And also my school said my Bank statement shouldn't be more than 3 months old.

So what I did was that I told the Bank official to print out his Bank statement from October 2012 to march 2013, making it 6 months old Bank statement.

I intend applying for my visa by JULY, So what I intend doing is that I pray my sponsor's Bank statement should be more than #3.9Million as of June or July, so that I will go to his Bank and request for an Updated Bank Statement.

But if his Bank Account Balance for June or July his below what the school requires, I will have no other option than to go with the Bank Statement of March 2013 which I used in getting admission.

Cheers bro..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Chemical2(m): 8:27pm On May 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

My major is Chemistry but my degree plan (courses and research) is Biochemistry.

Biochemistry in US may be under Chemistry (liberal arts and sciences) or Biomedical science depending on which of the two the school has or offers. This in contrary to Nigeria where Biochemistry is a standalone department.

Ok great. It means we can actually relate well. I will send you a PM. Hope you dont mind? I did BS Industrial Chemistry, UNIBEN
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 10:01pm On May 25, 2013
mr swagger:

@Fidelia.john, Don't try it. Don't even go near it self. How will you say you want to Use Photocopy of Bank Statement to Embassy.

That will call for a Big DENIAL.

All documents E.g Transcripts from High school or University, Degree certificates, Admission letter, SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and other documents including your Bank Statement MUST be ORIGINAL to take to the Embassy to apply for your Visa.

Take the ORIGINALS with you to the Embassy NOT Photocopies oooo.

NB: The V.O will ask for your Original Bank Statement ooooo. So be prepared.

It's not difficult getting an Original Bank Statement. Just get a letter from your sponsor for him to write a request to the Bank, and take it to the Bank in other for them to print out his Original Bank Statement for you.

It's not expensive. I did mine for #900 for 3 pages at my sponsor's Bank and I collected it that same day within 20 minutes..

Thank you Dear, do I need to get a letter from the bank to attach to the stmt of acct?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:48pm On May 25, 2013
Chemical2:

Ok great. It means we can actually relate well. I will send you a PM. Hope you dont mind? I did BS Industrial Chemistry, UNIBEN

Ok. I got a PM alert but didn't see any email in my inbox.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 11:22pm On May 25, 2013
@kpolli,

Can I have your email?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 11:40pm On May 25, 2013
fidelia.john:

Thank you Dear, do I need to get a letter from the bank to attach to the stmt of acct?

@Fidelia.John,

Yes, you are also welcome to attach a letter to the Bank Statement.

That letter is called Reference letter from your sponsor's Bank.

I remember my sponsor's Bank wanted to give me a Reference letter and they were telling me to pay 5k for the letter. Me I just bone that letter, just took only statement of Account and left jare.

Those Bank Officials are really making money, they will charge you for anything you want from them, and the money they charge for many things is always 5k atleast.

I also paid 5k to my Sponsor's Bank for Confirmation. They said when school or Embassy calls, they will be able to confirm the Authencity of the Bank Account.

Abeg those Bankers like money oooo. Dem just dey bill me from left to Right. Me Na Bank Statement be the Main koko jare.

But your case might be different sha, they might not demand much for you, in might vary with different Banks.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 11:41pm On May 25, 2013
fidelia.john:

@Fidelia.John,

I remember my sponsor's Bank wanted to give me a Reference letter and they were telling me to pay 5k for the letter. Me I just bone that letter, just took only statement of Account and left jare.

Those Bank Officials are really making money, they will charge you for anything you want from them, and the money they charge for many things is always 5k atleast.

I also paid 5k to my Sponsor's Bank for Confirmation. They said when school or Embassy calls, they will be able to confirm the Authencity of the Bank Account.

Abeg those Bankers like money oooo. Dem just dey bill me from left to Right. Me Na Bank Statement be the Main koko jare.

But your case might be different sha, they might not demand much for you, in might vary with different Banks.

Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 1:29am On May 26, 2013
Chemical2:

I later saw it among my spam mails and I've replied you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kpolli(m): 6:51am On May 26, 2013
imperiouxx: @kpolli,

Can I have your email?

kpolli64 at yahoo dot co dot uk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:00am On May 26, 2013
kpolli:

kpolli64 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Ok, thanks. I think I have it already. Writing you now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Chemical2(m): 11:21am On May 26, 2013
@imperiouxx, you got a mail! Kindly reply!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 26, 2013
Those who love me should pray for me. My interview is fast-approaching. My chances remain 50-50. Though I have prepared well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Oluwawapelumee(f): 2:36pm On May 26, 2013
De Tus: Those who love me should pray for me. My interview is fast-approaching. My chances remain 50-50. Though I have prepared well.

Dont worry..it will be yours. Remain positive and do not lose faith..our joy will be full and we all will share our success story.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 3:43pm On May 26, 2013
De Tus: Those who love me should pray for me. My interview is fast-approaching. My chances remain 50-50. Though I have prepared well.

Wishing you success bro. The visa is all yours.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2013

It is well with You... Just have faith and You'll smile afterwards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 3:47pm On May 26, 2013
De Tus: My interview is fast-approaching. My chances remain 50-50. Though I have prepared well.

You'd definitely get it, God's favour is all about you. Just be giving thanks already.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 4:20pm On May 26, 2013
mr swagger:

@Fidelia.John,

Cheers.

@mr swagger, thank you for the info. Is it compulsory this letter is attached to the statement of account.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 26, 2013
Amen to that! Tx folks 4 keeping the ball rolling!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 6:30pm On May 26, 2013
Please everyone, can any1 help with barron GRE material. I am begging.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 7:25pm On May 26, 2013

you dont have to be scared, its urs go get it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 8:06pm On May 26, 2013
Dot1: @theHanafis

Lemme try ansa some of ur Qs. Others will also contribute.
1. U can write d gre anytime, provided ur result will get to d school u ar appying to b4 d application deadline. It takes ets 2 weeks or dere abt to send ur result to ur scool
2. Actually dere's no specific order 4 writing those tests. It all depends on u. I did gre 1st. But if i wqnna advice any1, i wil say maybe u do toefl 1st. Itz easier and u get som skills dere dat will be useful for gre. But lyk i sed earlier, it depnds on u
3. Jst send a blqnk msg to selfstudy360@gmail.com. U will get an auto-response wit a jet speed. U can den donload any1 dat u want
4. Nothing is impossible. But depends on d school and d dept. There dat can betta b answerd by d admission officer
5. Same as 4
6. U will also get d link for toefl material download wit dat of gre. Additionally, u can visit www.notefull.com. *datz all* for more toefl tips
7. For fall, 2014. U stil av plenty of tym. Applcatn closes mostly arnd decemba- february. Depending on sch, tho
8. Best of luck, man. All the success

Dot1 thanks man,I'm gr8tful.
Dot1 I hav anoda ques to ask about application processes:Am I to send original copies of certificate or statement of result and transcript after filling d online application form.

Upon filling ma app form ,I was ask to fill laboratory's name or academic advisers name.so I dnt really get it,am I to search a lab in d faculty or a research group and fill it as my lab name or am I to pick any name of a prof in d faculty and use it as my academic advisor.pls I nid d favour of d house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 8:19pm On May 26, 2013
fidelia.john:

@mr swagger, thank you for the info. Is it compulsory this letter is attached to the statement of account.

@Fidelia.john, The Reference letter from Bank is not compulsory.

But if they demand for a fee from you and you are quite sure you can afford it then go for it.

But if you don't have, just go with your Bank statement to the Embassy without the letter from Bank.

The V.O will only ask for your Bank statement, and they won't demand any letter from Bank. The letter is just an additional document but not important as the Bank Statement.

Bank Statement na the Main Koko...

Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ibkgbocco: 8:26pm On May 26, 2013
Pls guys, I A̶̲̥̅♏ new on dis thread, my interview is on d 6th june..d school is University of Florida, PhD with full funding...I m scared oo but I believe all will b well...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 26, 2013
ibkgbocco: Pls guys, I A̶̲̥̅♏ new on dis thread, my interview is on d 6th june..d school is University of Florida, PhD with full funding...I m scared oo but I believe all will b well...

All the best.PhD folks have been conquering. I can't wait to read how you got the pass!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 8:29pm On May 26, 2013
theHanafis:

Dot1 thanks man,I'm gr8tful.
Dot1 I hav anoda ques to ask about application processes:Am I to send original copies of certificate or statement of result and transcript after filling d online application form.

Upon filling ma app form ,I was ask to fill laboratory's name or academic advisers name.so I dnt really get it,am I to search a lab in d faculty or a research group and fill it as my lab name or am I to pick any name of a prof in d faculty and use it as my academic advisor.pls I nid d favour of d house.

@The Hanafis, I won't advice you send any ORIGINALS to any school.

Just get all your Degree certificates Notarized and mail it to them. That's all.

NB: Any Original certificate you send to your intended school in US Won't be given back to you. Hope you know that.

But before you send any Notarized documents to them, Contact them by Email or Call them and confirm if they accept Notarized documents.

I'm very sure they will accept it, because most Schools in US accept Notarized documents.

Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 9:12pm On May 26, 2013
OjaP:

PhD will probably be the best for you. Since you don't want it, you can get a second masters degree instead. People do it here a lot. Some people have more than 3 masters degree sef. However your reasons for applying for a second masters degree should make sense alot.

Like you know, Geology has many branches/concentrations. The classes and research you work on is highly dependent on your concentration. For example, if your research interest is in Hydrogeology, then you will most likely be taking more ground water classes and working on acquifers etc.

If your research interests are in the area of sedimentology/petroleum geology, then you will be doing more petrographic studies and looking at diagenesis of sandstones and carbonates. I just finished work on a similar study and in the process of completing my thesis and including the results - if you choose that, you will be looking at porosity development in sandstones, their diagenetic history and what led to the storage of oil and gas in these sandstone bodies including their accumulation and migration. These comes with studying of logs and using the SEM, Petrological microscope and XRD in analysing thin section samples.

In the same vein, if your research interest is in reservoir characterization, you will be taking more petroleum geology, oil field development, structural geology, Geophysics etc classes. Your research interests will be characterizing an oil field and be able to tell how much oil is in there, areas with more oil, and where to drill. Here, you will be coming up with different isopach maps and geological cross-sections to get your results. This will also be tied with seismic and other geophysical data if available.

Other research areas are Geophysics (seismic), Paleoclimate, Hard rock petrology, Palynology and Paleontology etc.

Reason for explaining: Depending on what research areas you worked on in your first Masters degree, you can always and easily switch to another research area in your second one but do not forget to include this when writing your SOP or contacting professors with similar research interests as yours. That wil probably be your only justification for undergoing a second masters degree.

Be warned that most oil companies talk to guys whose research interests are in the area of Petroleum Geology (Reservoir Characterization), Sedimentary Geology (Diagenesis, Porosity development etc) and Geophysics (more of seismic studies)

Good luck.

Thnak you Oja for that elucidated response, it feels good to know that I am on the right track and I will not fail to thank you for taking your time to explain. I will be settling for Petrophysics/ Formation evaluation, that will take me to petrographic studies in sedimentology in other to appreciate the formation hosting the HC and critique its petrophysical attributes.....both for Siliciclastics and carbonates alike, as well as HC fluid flow behavior within them.

I have already started contacting the faculty members, even though they not started responding.
Will be cracking my GRE by next month.

Have a wonderful day and God bless.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2013
bigfrancis21:

From your records you'd definitely stand a better chance going for a PhD. But you said you don't want a PhD. That's fine. I myself don't want to do PhD too.

I fully understand why you want to include your former masters record in your second masters application because the former record is excellent and would stand you a chance of getting admission + funding. Sounds fine. However, I'm not sure many US schools will be willing to accept you again for masters in the same program which you've done before. Unless you give them cogent reasons in your statement of purpose why you need the second time masters. Reasons such as not gaining much from your former masters program due to the poor academic curricula of the masters program, or you want to take advantage of the US educational system that provides better learning, knowledge, practical experience and exposure.

Or you could try masters in another field closely related to petroleum geology, just like someone said before.

I Will do exactly just that, Thank God providing people like you guys...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2013
[quote author=mr swagger]

@The Hanafis, I won't advice you send any ORIGINALS to any school.

Just get all your Degree certificates Notarized and mail it to them. That's all.

NB: Any Original certificate you send to your intended school in US Won't be given back to you. Hope you know that.

But before you send any Notarized documents to them, Contact them by Email or Call them and confirm if they accept Notarized documents.

I'm very sure they will accept it, because most Schools in US accept Notarized documents.

Cheers bro.

Thank u bro!
Pls how do I get a document notorized? Which documents am I to notorize? How long does it take for one to get his toefl result posted after the test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 9:48pm On May 26, 2013
Thank u bro! @swagger
Pls how do I get a document notorized? Which documents am I to notorize? How long does it take for one to get his toefl result posted after the test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 9:52pm On May 26, 2013
on filling ma app form ,I was ask to fill laboratory's name or academic advisers name.so I dnt really get it,am I to search a lab in d faculty or a research group and fill it as my lab name or am I to pick any name of a prof in d faculty and use it as my academic advisor.pls I nid d favour of d house.[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (401)

Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.