Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,762 members, 7,930,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 11:10 PM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71936 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Emfash(m): 1:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP Prof Achebe. You have written your name in gold in the annals of history. Your brilliant works never to be forgotten.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Afam4eva(m): 1:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
slimyem: You mean the literature and writing section of Mazi Omenuko land abi?
When did you become a tribalist?
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
-
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by huptin(m): 1:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP. Professor Chinua Achebe, I wished you had fought for a strong,united and corruption free Africa, rather than allow crass Chauvinism and bigotry confine you to a tribal Hero. There was indeed an Icon.

3 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Gabriellee1(m): 1:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
[b][/b] o dis is too sad, wat a big loss. This life is vernity. For all dat was built in many years will b lost in a matter of minuets.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by justokey(m): 1:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chinua Achebe! God should make these kind of people immortal!! Your works touched my life.... rest in the Lord.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Dipoly(m): 1:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
May d soul of d departed rest in perfect peace.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 1:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
K_ONE: When will obasanjo die? undecided
Na you wan kill am? God have given him good health and he is still bouncing. What of you when will you die? angry abi you no wan die?

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
Fare the well Chinua Achebe. Na n'udo cry cry cry
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by PON: 1:54pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP great one, may your legacy live on.(i remove cap for you ooo);(
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by 3kay945(m): 1:55pm On Mar 22, 2013
General tos: RIP Man. Lastwk it was Maitama Sule (Hausa), yesterday it was Obadare( Yoruba), today Chinua Achebe (Igbo) God have mercy on Nigeria.

The old man is not dead yet...
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by hilaryCU(m): 1:55pm On Mar 22, 2013
Ohh...I am saddened by the death of this great icon and one of our national pride.

You cheated death 23years ago on 22nd March that got you paralyzed but the day has been written in the sky that you still succumbed to death on this day today.

I wish you can live more for us to treasure like one of your fans,the great Nelson Mandela who said 'you brought Africa to the rest of the world and called you the writer in whose company the prison walls felled down.

What more can I say ,other than I am honoured to have met you through your great works.

RIP,ICON OF OUR TIME
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
[size=28pt]there goes a man's man![/size]

RIP O GREAT ONE

You lived well
Left a mark in education and academics
Refused to be tainted by Nigeria
Stood up for Biafra and served her
You made a name for your generation worldwide by your pen
You died at a ripe old age
You left well educated,well adjusted children
Your writings live on
What else can a man ask for?

[size=28pt]
Laa n'udo,dike ukwu[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by MAYOWAAK: 1:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
Achebe and the Idiots At His Funeral!
May His gentle soul rest in peace so perfect. His philosophy was alien to what those who would make his burial ceremony a carnival believe. In death, what he abhors and disregarded will adorn his exit into the celestial world. What a paradox it would be when his enemies will begin to eulogise him, when those whose gifts of undue influence he refused, would shower upon his grave, the proceeds of corrupt fingers. Idiots, I know will be at his funeral. This, I once witnessed when my eyes beheld Enahoro's funeral.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by DoubleFaith(m): 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2013
Things Fall Apart. RIP Prof.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ekaromail: 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2013
May God rest his soul.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by sundayad: 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
sooo painful
kuzzieOtiz: Hope not. sad
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by princesa(f): 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
you die immortal
haven crested your feet
in the footprint of time
your voice lives on
in the pages of my literature book
accomplished thats who you are
for ur name remain for posterity to hear
pride of nigeria
giant of Africa
even death weeps
for it swallowed a big fish
And i can only honour you with my pen
Rest in peace
for now you are at Easesad

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ab1x: 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP prolific writer!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by afolayangs(m): 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
Its on cnn

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
you came, you saw and conquered... indeed you were a great man. Thanks for rejecting honours from the Federal Government.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by manny4life(m): 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
A mighty tree has fallen, RIP cry
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by eminikansoso(m): 2:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
K_ONE: When will obasanjo die? undecided
A YEAR AFTER YOU DIE
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ulaa(f): 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE. One of my favourite Nigerian authors, i wil indee miss u.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by MAYOWAAK: 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
Reptyle: I wish he hadn't written his last publication before his death. In my opinion, that is the only blight on an otherwise illustrious career. There are some stories that need to go to the grave with the story teller especially one that has bestowed the world with his extraordinary sagacity over the decades.

A lot is wrong with this country as is presently and we do not need anyone reminding us of a past best forgotten.

May his soul find repose with the Creator.

Achebe called it a personal history so he has the right to state every opinion or fact he wrote in it. And you have a right to disagree respectfully.

1. Achebe somehow contrived to make it seem as if all of of Nigeria had and has a visceral hatred for the Igbos. That is not true. Biafra may have had an Igbo majority yet Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios etc were part of that state. He made mention of this fact a few times, agreed, but his general tone and even a line about all of Nigeria's tribe hating the Igbos speaks more of his opinion.

2. The hoopla about Achebe on Awo has been overblown but yet the point must be made that Achebe over reached. Achebe declared Awolowo a murderously malicious criminal without giving evidence for that. Awolowo advocated Starvation as a weapon of war, but it was not the first resort for him. It was a confluence of bad decisions by Dim Ojukwu, irrational expectations and misplaced priority by biafra, external influences and admittedly an ammoral decision by Awo that led to it. Does this absolve Awo from the responsibility of that policy and its consequences or defend the policy? Definitely not, but available facts, historical antecedents do not back up Achebe's claims as well. As to the fact that Achebe had earlier made this same allegation in the 80's does not make it any more true, it only tells of the age of that impression of Achebe.

Nonetheless,a great man.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Afam4eva(m): 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
MAYOWAAK:

Achebe called it a personal history so he has the right to state every opinion or fact he wrote in it. And you have a right to disagree respectfully.

1. Achebe somehow contrived to make it seem as if all of of Nigeria had and has a visceral hatred for the Igbos. That is not true. Biafra may have had an Igbo majority yet Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios etc were part of that state. He made mention of this fact a few times, agreed, but his general tone and even a line about all of Nigeria's tribe hating the Igbos speaks more of his opinion.

You're right that in Biafra there were other groups so, it may seem that Nigerians did not haate Igbos as been speculated. But when you look at the fact that the Igbos in Delta state who due to geography and constitutional autonomy from the east were murdered in one of the most painful massacres, one is forced to think otherwise.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by huninaija(f): 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
RIP to a renowned novelist...

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (39) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Official Portrait As President Unveiled / First Lady, Aisha Buhari Closes Beauty Parlour / Chief Of Army Staff Doing Push Ups With Soldiers(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.