Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,271 members, 7,897,350 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 12:35 PM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71755 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by tpia5: 2:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
torhuke: Things Fell apart nd There wx a country.

he actually wrote more than just those two books.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Greatpooss(m): 2:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
R.I.P. The great great novelist of our nation!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by kpozite(m): 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2013
Things have indeed fallen apart R.I.P Achebe.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ebestsmscom: 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
What a big loss.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ifedechidex: 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2013
oddy4real: The Finest Literary giant out of Africa is dead...such a pity. I am however happy
He wrote 'there was a country' before things fell apart as things are No Longer at ease in the country.

seriously!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by lordjay: 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rest in Peace great prof! sad
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Panzastrip(m): 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
R.I.P Daddy, we will miss you.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by slimyem: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
When did you become a tribalist?
I am not.He was being ridiculous if you'd agree.cool
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by favcom(m): 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2013
I join all Nairalanders, Nigerians and the world to mourn the passing of this great man.
One of the people I look forward to being like as a youngster cry cry cry

RIP Chinualumogu Achebe!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by buklan4realyah(f): 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
Tunjman: Our nationalists tried to build an enviable nation, one that would have a flourishing economy and a perfect political landscape. Of course, their efforts yielded good result, they laid down a platform for true federalism until self-centered and political jobbers started making THINGS FALL APART…When state creation started, regional development gave way to state development and states with less resources were NO LONGER AT EASE…Our common wealth was used to build a state- of –the- art presidential villa at Abuja where they thought would be free from external aggression and attack from hungry Nigerians forgetting that ARROW OF GOD is stronger than all nuclear weapons put together…They detached themselves totally from the people they govern, none of them cared to be A MAN OF THE PEOPLE…Good leadership became scarce like ANTHILLS OF THE SAVANNAH...I’m afraid, if today’s youths don’t question the status quo, the only tale they would tell generation unborn is THERE WAS A COUNTRY.

R.I.P Prof. Chinua Achebe
Feed me more:

Brilliant !!! cheesy

LUV DAT QUOTE!!!! i was a part-taker of Anthils of d savannah nd Man of d pupil

3 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 22, 2013
slimyem: I am not.He was being ridiculous if you'd agree.cool
So a bigot asked you wen you became a bigot and that's all you'll say back to 'it'

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by kabaka1: 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
A Mighty IROKO has fallen cry!

RIP Okeosisi!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by bhagghio(m): 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
R.I.P Professor Chinua Achebe...You lived an eventful life.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by crackhaus: 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
And the thread just keeps on raging like wild fire
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by jentlsoul: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2013
dandollaz: Another legend in Igbo land...chinekeeeee .goose pimple all over my body.why God no carry 1million boko haram to spear this one last legend...Ojukwu is gone now chinua Achebe. Odinigbo !!!! You are living eternal but just went to vacation.cheiiiiiii
you are too small to question your creator I.e almighty GOD.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
^^^^^
You are what you are!!
A leopard cannot change its spots
B. I. G. O. T
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by kettykin: 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2013
[size=15pt]How Close was Chinua Achebe to the Nobel prize [/size]

MO YAN, a prolific Chinese author, has been awarded the 2012 Nobel prize in literature[]. Mr Mo's best-known works are "Red Sorghum", which was made into a film by director Zhang Yimou, and "The Republic of Wine". He is one of the most widely translated Chinese writers. According to the official Nobel citation, Mr Mo "with hallucinatory realism merges folk tales, history and the contemporary". His works have been compared to the magical realism of Colombian author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. [b]Mr Mo came close to winning the Man Booker International prize in 2007 but lost out to Chinua Achebe, a Nigerian author

(NEW YORK) — Chinua Achebe, the internationally celebrated Nigerian author, statesman and dissident who gave literary birth to modern Africa with Things Fall Apart, has died. He was 82.

His eminence worldwide was rivaled only by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Toni Morrison and a handful of others. Achebe was a moral and literary model for countless Africans and a profound influence on such American writers as Morrison, Ha Jin and Junot Diaz.

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/03/22/agent-author-chinua-achebe-dies-at-82/#ixzz2OH7uGnJN

Turned down by several publishers, the book was finally accepted by Heinemann and released in 1958 with a first printing of 2,000. Its initial review in The New York Times ran less than 500 words,
[quote] but the novel soon became among the most important books of the 20th century, a universally acknowledged starting point for postcolonial, indigenous African fiction, the prophetic union of British letters and African oral culture. “It would be impossible to say how ‘Things Fall Apart’ influenced African writing,” the African scholar Kwame Anthony Appiah once observed. “It would be like asking how Shakespeare influenced English writers or Pushkin influenced Russians. Achebe didn’t only play the game, he invented it.”[quote]

[quote]
Achebe never did win the Nobel Prize, which many believed he deserved, but in 2007 he did receive the Man Booker International Prize, a $120,000 honor for lifetime achievement. Achebe, paralyzed from the waist down since a 1990 auto accident, lived for years in a cottage built for him on the campus of Bard College, a leading liberal arts school north of New York City where he was a faculty member. He joined Brown University in 2009 as a professor of languages and literature.

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/03/22/agent-author-chinua-achebe-dies-at-82/#ixzz2OH8iBjRF

http://www.economist.com/node/12459705

CHINUA ACHEBE'S “Things Fall Apart”, which celebrates its golden jubilee this year, is Africa's best known work of literature. The slim novel has been translated into 50 languages and has sold 10m copies. Never once has it been out of print.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by TheBookWorm: 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
The world has truly lost a literary giant.

Rest in peace Professor Chinua Achebe.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-6c-M9KkPPSY/T1s524l0IGI/AAAAAAAAAjA/Mc8UBoYZYsk/s1600/chinua_achebe1.jpg[/img]
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by phantom(m): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
Desola: sincerest condolences to the Igbos on this irreplaceable loss.

I commiserate with you all.
what did you do with desola? Lol....seriously this is probably the most mature thing i ve read from you on nairaland....@OP ....rest in peace sir, you made your mark and did us proud.adieu.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by plendil: 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
Things have not fallen apart. Yes your breath may have departed this sinceful world, but you priceless works, thankfully, remain.

Happily, the literary sands of time shall, ad infinintum, bear your priceless contributions.

Adeiu cry cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (39) (Reply)

Wike Travels To France To Meet Tinubu - / Pictures Of Gombe Boko Haram Bomb Victims ( Graphic Images) / Photos From The Accident Scene Of Solomon Dalung's Convoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.