Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,533 members, 7,914,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:01 AM

Medical Recall - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Recall (6724 Views)

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors / Do You Have Any Insights On The Recall Of Depuy Hip? / Product Recall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
ok am so impatient wink
is there Clubbing of the toes too?
does lung cancer cause the clubbing too?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
Lagusta: Dr. Centje, lets yarn more stuff, please tell me a little about tako tsubo cardiomyopathy, we were asked during our final MBBS
i actually never knew of such type of cardiomyopathy,but i researched and got it's a stress induced cardiomyopathy.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
~vicky~:
ok am so impatient wink
is there Clubbing of the toes too?
does lung cancer cause the clubbing too?
yes to both questions. The toes can also club. Have you seen one before?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 26, 2013
yeah, is it similar to elephantiasis of the legs
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 26, 2013
Nah it's not o!
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 26, 2013
hope am not bothering you much!
is there cure to it?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ah! This is for chat on a topic. Ask any thing,dear.

Yes,once the condition causing it is treated the clubbing usually resolves.
Re: Medical Recall by Lagusta(m): 8:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
centje: i actually never knew of such type of cardiomyopathy,but i researched and got it's a stress induced cardiomyopathy.

in fact, that question got my brains boiling!!!!

Now back to turner's, apart from finger clubbing and webbed neck, they also have short stature, widely-spaced ni.pp:les, may be mentally retarded,, and, unfortunately, they are sterile, they can never have children.....

Hope i am correct sir!!!!
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
Why would someone go that deep for a student

Finger clubbing is not really part of the features. But they can have it if there's cyanotic heat disease. Some of them can have such condition.

1 Like

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2013
emm Doc. Centje i noticed that when i sit for a long time, my legs would swell embarassed, someone told me to pour cold water on it, what do you think causes that? how can it stop embarassed embarassed
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2013
Let's chat in the other thread. That's where we have non academic discussions. Click [url=https://www.nairaland.com/1235064/m%C3%ABd%C3%AEx-%C3%A7%C3%A5ll-r%C3%B6%C3%B3m]here[/url]
Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 9:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
Lagusta:

in fact, that question got my brains boiling!!!!

Now back to turner's, apart from finger clubbing and webbed neck, they also have short stature, widely-spaced ni.pp:les, may be mentally retarded,, and, unfortunately, they are sterile, they can never have children.....

Hope i am correct sir!!!!
Technically, they arent sterile, rather they are infertile. This is because they actually produce germ cells (oocytes), but these get exhausted even before puberty is reached. By that time, their ovaries are streak and they have no more oocytes, and oocytes are not produced after birth. So i reason that if it's possible to harvest their oocytes at any stage before they are destroyed, and then preserve it, then they can actually have own children. Moreover, Turner's with mosaics may even do better than complete XO's since the chromosomal anomaly isnt total in that case.
Re: Medical Recall by dominique(f): 10:31pm On Mar 26, 2013
centje: Let's chat in the other thread. That's where we have non academic discussions. Click [url=https://www.nairaland.com/1235064/m%C3%ABd%C3%AEx-%C3%A7%C3%A5ll-r%C3%B6%C3%B3m]here[/url]

Seems only one thread is active. Won't it be better if we put both discussions on this thread? We could even replace with the doctor thread on top (that's if more medics come on board). What do you think?
Re: Medical Recall by Lagusta(m): 10:45pm On Mar 26, 2013
omicron: Technically, they arent sterile, rather they are infertile. This is because they actually produce germ cells (oocytes), but these get exhausted even before puberty is reached. By that time, their ovaries are streak and they have no more oocytes, and oocytes are not produced after birth. So i reason that if it's possible to harvest their oocytes at any stage before they are destroyed, and then preserve it, then they can actually have own children. Moreover, Turner's with mosaics may even do better than complete XO's since the chromosomal anomaly isnt total in that case.

hmmm, i used to believe they were sterile ooo, thanx for the correction

and yes, mosaics have a better prognosis than full-time turners
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 26, 2013
dominique:

Seems only one thread is active. Won't it be better if we put both discussions on this thread? We could even replace with the doctor thread on top (that's if more medics come on board). What do you think?
Am just trying to avoid off topic in this one...'cause they will definitely come up. And you know health section doesn't have any chat room. My second intention was for the other thread to serve as chat room for health section posters.

You the boss,and oga at the top...i follow your orders wink
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
@omicron
Is it in practice now,to harvest their eggs and preserve them?
Re: Medical Recall by dominique(f): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
centje:
Am just trying to avoid off topic in this one...'cause they will definitely come up. And you know health section doesn't have any chat room. My second intention was for the other thread to serve as chat room for health section posters.

You the boss,and oga at the top...i follow your orders wink

Lols they're your threads, you decide what to do with them. I'm only making a suggestion so as not to make one thread completely obsolete smiley
Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 4:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
centje: @omicron
Is it in practice now,to harvest their eggs and preserve them?
I don't think so.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
A 31 year old male,who had fracture of both right radius and ulnar. He discontinued management because of financial issues. But later came back with deformity of the right forearm and malunion as shown in the x-ray.

What are the treatment options for this patient?

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
Re: Medical Recall by ACM10: 8:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
centje: A 31 year old male,who had fracture of both right radius and ulnar. He discontinued management because of financial issues. But later came back with deformity of the right forearm and malunion as shown in the x-ray.

What are the treatment options for this patient?

What should be done for this patient is corrective osteotomy. From the x-ray photos, you can see that there is an exuberant callus formation and malunion at the fracture site. Corrective osteotomy involves "re-creating" the initial fracture surgically, chipping out the useless callus, repositioning of the bone. Then hold it fast with an implant. Then allow a time interval of 3 weeks before light mobilization with the aid of clutches. The patient should also be placed on antibiotics and analgesic cover post-op. Don't forget fluid management. Also remember to group and crossmatch blood before the surgery, then make 4 units available since the area is know to be richly supplied and bled a lot during surgery.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
@ACM
What you wrote was almost exactly what was done for the patient.

Bloodless operating field was created using tourniquet-induced exsanguination.

Then corrective osteotomy was done just like you described. It's a challenging surgery.

Wound drain was place after the surgery 'cause of re-perfusion when tourniquet is removed. Elevation of hand is also important.

Am actually tired and drowsy writing this. Maybe tomorrow when my head is clearer i will add more.

But why mobilise him on crutches?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 3:05am On Mar 29, 2013
dominique:

Lols they're your threads, you decide what to do with them. I'm only making a suggestion so as not to make one thread completely obsolete smiley
Let's chat in that tried and reach a conclusion on whether to close it.

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 30, 2013
K

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:15am On Mar 30, 2013
Which procedure is this?
What will be diagnosis?
How will you manage this patient?
What are the complications that may result from the condition and from its treatment?

Re: Medical Recall by ACM10: 5:01pm On Mar 31, 2013
centje: Which procedure is this?
Looks more like proctoscopy

What will be diagnosis?
Looks more like an internal haemorrhoid

How will you manage this patient?
It depends on the stage.
Stage 1 and 2: managed conservatively with dietary modification, sitzbath, etc
Stage 3 and 4: Managed surgically by haemorrhoidectomy.

What are the complications that may result from the condition and from its treatment?
Haemmorrhage, anaemia, fistula-in-ano, infection, etc
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 3:12am On Apr 01, 2013
You're right ACM.

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 01, 2013

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2013
A

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
They are related.
What do you think is the problem?
How is the condition managed?
What are the possible complications of the condition?
Can their intelligence be affected?

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 02, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
What? Answer nah...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Frequent Ask Question About Kedi / 15 Hidden Secrets Of Coconut Oil Use / Gums Bleeding While Brushing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.