Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,528 members, 7,881,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:15 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1513103 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:06am On Jul 07, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Help oooooo
My fries r dieing after 8 days ooooooo. Wot will I do ooo
no response,till morning DV, Relax, all shall become fine,just not stop flow through & stop/limit feeding until we know the detail from you.Sleep well
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by indncfarms: 8:53am On Jul 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
those that have reliable broodstocks should post please. Those interested will contact you. I am receiving calls & i know it will save me some man hours if i post it here.

Hi Bros,

Please, I bought some ijebu fingerlings (4cm length) and I have a little issue because I'm using 0.5-0.8mm coppens which most of it sinks.
I have calculated the feed consumption using 6% of body weight. But the fishes finish 0.3kg feed which is what the formula suggest they should eat in a day in 2 meals. And they rush for feed whenever i come to feed them. So, I feed them 3-4 times every day.

Please, from your experience, what will you advice?

I use a concrete pond (20x10x3). Stocked 10,000 of the fishes (0.5 gram average weight) and do 90% water change for them every 2 days.

Regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abefeglobal: 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ifedayour007:

Please where did you get this and how MUCH?

OSOGBO OSUN STATE
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:16pm On Jul 07, 2016
@Hormohtoondeh, i believe your fishes are fine now
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:32pm On Jul 07, 2016
indncfarms:

Hi Bros,

Please, I bought some ijebu fingerlings (4cm length) and I have a little issue because I'm using 0.5-0.8mm coppens which most of it sinks.
I have calculated the feed consumption using 6% of body weight. But the fishes finish 0.3kg feed which is what the formula suggest they should eat in a day in 2 meals. And they rush for feed whenever i come to feed them. So, I feed them 3-4 times every day.

Please, from your experience, what will you advice?

I use a concrete pond (20x10x3). Stocked 10,000 of the fishes (0.5 gram average weight) and do 90% water change for them every 2 days.

Regards
you must be a very shrewd abii naa prudent person,ijebu fingerlings?D advice i will give is introduce aquapro to them also,they will willing feed on it.Maintain your water mgt.They have enough space because your space dimension could even be use to raise 1,200 to table size. Endeavor to clean your tanks from the slimmy build up that could cause death/disease
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 4:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
@Hormohtoondeh, i believe your fishes are fine now
They r not yet fine oooo. AV been so devastated since morning. Don't know wot to do. I AV changed d water, mixed tetracyclin with d feed, still applying flow through
But I noticed dat d water foams Atimes Nd dat most of d fries r white
They now have whiskers which r also white
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 6:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
I noticed dat d water foams at times in my earthen pond. What could cause it?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bukkytroni: 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2016
Good evening people.

Great to join the train. Pond prepared (earthen). 2000 juveniles (hybrid) ordered. Comparing and contrasting different feed brands and doing detailed research.

Test running with one pond. Taking notes. Open to learn. After this season. Looking to expanding to 5 ponds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by indncfarms: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
you must be a very shrewd abii naa prudent person,ijebu fingerlings?D advice i will give is introduce aquapro to them also,they will willing feed on it.Maintain your water mgt.They have enough space because your space dimension could even be use to raise 1,200 to table size. Endeavor to clean your tanks from the slimmy build up that could cause death/disease

Thanks for your reply.
Meanwhile, you said; I should introduce auqapro to them, they will willing feed on it. Do you mean I should give them (sprinkle) Aquapro in the pond for them to feed on? Or I should mix it with their feed/water?

I look forward to your response.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

They r not yet fine oooo. AV been so devastated since morning. Don't know wot to do. I AV changed d water, mixed tetracyclin with d feed, still applying flow through
But I noticed dat d water foams Atimes Nd dat most of d fries r white
They now have whiskers which r also white
we discussed on phone,get aquapro & adhere with what i told you. I called you later,you didnt pick,dont use tetracycline again. My email solomonalamu@gmail.com, Alamu Solomon on fb. So whichever is handy to send your message. You are not a novice,just relax.
God Bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
omisakint:
I noticed dat d water foams at times in my earthen pond. What could cause it?
there are some dead matter or decomposition of organism in the pond & it shows your soil pores are poor in aerating well. Also shows poor oxygen when noticed. Check if you are overfeeding also. Try to change the water to ascertain the real state of your pond & if any strange material is in your pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:49pm On Jul 07, 2016
indncfarms:

Thanks for your reply.
Meanwhile, you said; I should introduce auqapro to them, they will willing feed on it. Do you mean I should give them (sprinkle) Aquapro in the pond for them to feed on? Or I should mix it with their feed/water?

I look forward to your response.
i feed direct, you can choose to mix with feed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
there are some dead matter or decomposition of organism in the pond & it shows your soil pores are poor in aerating well. Also shows poor oxygen when noticed. Check if you are overfeeding also. Try to change the water to ascertain the real state of your pond & if any strange material is in your pond

Thanks a lot. I Wil do that tomorrow. What's the repercussion of such occurrence??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:18pm On Jul 07, 2016
omisakint:

Thanks a lot. I Wil do that tomorrow. What's the repercussion of such occurrence??
If extreme,lets do practical,just try to hold your breath for a while & judge(laugh). If extreme it could wipe out your fishes,starting mostly from the biggest.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 11:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
we discussed on phone,get aquapro & adhere with what i told you. I called you later,you didnt pick,dont use tetracycline again. My email solomonalamu@gmail.com, Alamu Solomon on fb. So whichever is handy to send your message. You are not a novice,just relax.
God Bless
Thank you. Il get d aqua pro first tin in d morning tomorow. God bless yu realbig
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:04am On Jul 08, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Thank you. Il get d aqua pro first tin in d morning tomorow. God bless yu realbig
Amen in Jesus Name.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by somafol: 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
Is aqua pro a drug? How much is it?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
somafol:
Is aqua pro a drug? How much is it?
just 500 naira,some places 400. i cant say now. About drug? maybe doctors in the house could decipher that,but it aids growth,boost immune,work against bacteria etc.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by somafol: 3:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
just 500 naira,some places 400. i cant say now. About drug? maybe doctors in the house could decipher that,but it aids growth,boost immune,work against bacteria etc.

Thanks a bunch.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
somafol:

Thanks a bunch.
THANK GOD
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 4:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
first your location will determine who you can easily connect with.Price varies from 1,500-5000 per kilogram depending quality,breed & who sells. Cant differ much now,maybe we ask op,belexyfarms,ablx & pumpie or any one on d thread,me i dey school ma
you are absolutely right bro, price varies. though in lag and ogun axis its between N1500 to N2500. i have some for sale at the moment you can contact me. regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 4:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Amen in Jesus Name.
I was unable to get d drug here in Akure. Please any1 with info on how I can get d drug within Akure
My fries r kind of stable now. D mortality has greatly reduced. Thanks to God
God will continually bless excelsior farm. He's a great person.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Greatxter(f): 5:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
@ pumppie pls any idea about price of brood stock and where I can get.Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 5:31pm On Jul 08, 2016
Greatxter:
@ excelsiorfarm pls am a newbie in fish farming.can u help me with r process of roasting fish.Thanks
let me add to what mr excelsiorfarm has said on catfish smoking. Firstly if u have fishes fine, if u dont have u will buy melange size fish. (ideal size 300g to 400g). You will have to stun them with salt either u put them in sack or u cover them in a basin (they will dance alanta, azonto and shakiti bobo till they yamutu..lol). Then, u de-gut them (remove their intestines) and you wash. Washing is very important if u don’t want them to come out dark or dirty due to blood stains. Brine in salt and water solution or any other flavor you want for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Depending on ur type of oven and the dryness or crunchiness you want to attain, drying in the oven could take between 8hrs to 3 days. Note that for maximum dryness and crunchiness avoid excessive heat and smoke not to spoil the taste. Maintain low heat for effective dryness and zero moisture.
N:b you can make a simple fish smoker by using a drum and welding circular racks in layers in the drum. The coal or wood heating chamber will also be carved out at the bottom. Or you can make the types abokis use in making barbeque or u can go for a more sophisticated one. Smoking kiln are everywhere now. (na ur capital go determine). The standard pack used to be 1k (3 in a pack) but now that price of fish has increased, that same pack should be between 1200 and 1500. You can have packs as per customer demand and preference. One interesting thing about this venture is that, you don’t have to have a farm or catfish stock. Just ensure you have different farms where u can source mélange fish whenever you need. Regards.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 5:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
Greatxter:
@ pumppie pls any idea about price of brood stock and where I can get.Thanks
where is ur location sir?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 5:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

I was unable to get d drug here in Akure. Please any1 with info on how I can get d drug within Akure
if u cant get in akure, maybe u can ask somone to help u get in lagos and send to you. (just a suggestion)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
pumppie:
let me add to what mr excelsiorfarm has said on catfish smoking. Firstly if u have fishes fine, if u dont have u will buy melange size fish. (ideal size 300g to 400g). You will have to stun them with salt either u put them in sack or u cover them in a basin (they will dance alanta, azonto and shakiti bobo till they yamutu..lol). Then, u de-gut them (remove their intestines) and you wash. Washing is very important if u don’t want them to come out dark or dirty due to blood stains. Brine in salt and water solution or any other flavor you want for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Depending on ur type of oven and the dryness or crunchiness you want to attain, drying in the oven could take between 8hrs to 3 days. Note that for maximum dryness and crunchiness avoid excessive heat and smoke not to spoil the taste. Maintain low heat for effective dryness and zero moisture.
N:b you can make a simple fish smoker by using a drum and welding circular racks in layers in the drum. The coal or wood heating chamber will also be carved out at the bottom. Or you can make the types abokis use in making barbeque or u can go for a more sophisticated one. Smoking kiln are everywhere now. (na ur capital go determine). The standard pack used to be 1k (3 in a pack) but now that price of fish has increased, that same pack should be between 1200 and 1500. You can have packs as per customer demand and preference. One interesting thing about this venture is that, you don’t have to have a farm or catfish stock. Just ensure you have different farms where u can source mélange fish whenever you need. Regards.
Good post
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 6:15pm On Jul 08, 2016
pumppie:
if u cant get in akure, maybe u can ask somone to help u get in lagos and send to you. (just a suggestion)
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

You want make my head dey swell, it is a privilege ma. if i see around my present locality i will let you know, though i hardly go out. Also there is one wonderful chap in benin,edo state, i use to inform those in south south area to reach him and no bad report till date. His name is saintugo on nairaland, he doesnt sell,just assist people to buy and send to those in south south,south east vicinity.

He was a wonderful host with the dad,mum,brother and sisters when i went for some consultancy and training in benin a few years back. I met him through this nairaland years back.

Also any one that could assist.Our sister needs our support.

GOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Good post
thanks bro. Its a pleasure
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Greatxter(f): 7:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
@ pumppie, Abuja.pls am a woman nt a man.Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2016
Greatxter:
@ pumppie, Abuja.pls am a woman nt a man.Thanks
oops! My bad, so sorry ma. I actually don't have details for Abj. I'm for lag and Ogun. Oya Abj comrades pls kindly help out...regards

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.