Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,941 members, 7,873,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:52 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1510634 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
oscarvicto: PLEASE CAN THE LEARNED TEACHERS ALSO GIVE ME INFORMATION ON THE NEAREST CO-OERATIVE SOCIETY IN PORT HARCOURT/ SOUTH SOUTH REGION

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS AND REQUIREMENTS OF JOINING CAFAN ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH SOUTH

WHERE CAN I BUY TILAPIA FINGERLINGS IN PORT HARCOURT.

THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL. YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
for cooperative in ph, i suggest u visit yr ministry of trade & investment in d state,they always have d registered list,no special requirement to join cafan,just be a new or old fishfarmer,registeratn is less than 10k,though locatn might influence some,benefits, if u have what u want & yr market,u might not join any associatn,u join to network,maybe subsidy opportunities etc, for me after leaving ph in my early school days, i havnt been to ph,but such info should be available in cafan
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
oscarvicto: HELLO HOUSE. PLEASE I DIRECT THESE QUESTIONS TO OUR LEARNED TEACHERS SUCH AS ROBONSKI, EXCELSIOR, ABX ETC

PLEASE HOW CAN I CONSTRUCT A HATCHERY USING 1000 LITRES AQUATIC WHITE TANK?

WHATS THE CHEAPEST MODE OF HOUSING THAT I CAN USE FOR THE HATCHERY

WHICH IS BETTER TO USE A FLOW-THROW SYSYTEM OR RE-CIRCULATIORY SYSYTEM?

HOW MANY FRIERS/FINGERLINGS CAN TWO 1000 LITRES AQUATIC TANKS CONTAIN?

WHATS THE ESTIMATE FOR CONSTRUCTION OF A STANDARD HATECHERY BASED ON THE REQUIREMENTS I STATED ABOVE?

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME TO CONSTRUCT IT AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CAN I CONSTRUCT IT ON MY OWN?

WHAT QUANTITY OF LIVESTOVIT CAN I APPLY IN A 1000LITRES PLASTIC TANK AND HOW CAN I APPLY IT SUCCESSFULLY?

PLEASE YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE WILL BE HIGHLY TREASURED. THANKS

PLEASE YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE WILL BE

cut d tank in two,d cheapest is d white tank,flowthru is cheaper,if yr water mgt is good, in two of those white tanks,u will raise a minimum of 20000 fingerlings,u can do it yrself,design & materials depends on individual(plumbling is almost cut & paste now,apology to plumbers),for estimate, d 2 tanks should be between 26000-30000,plumbling material etc max 15K,THOUGH location of water source will play a major role,for livestovit,mere pouring in water,it will dissolve i.e disperse from place of high conc to place of low conc.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 9:50pm On Dec 18, 2013
ab1x:

You're welcome on board. My take is there is no specific amount of feeds that I can recommend for your fish. While 1000pieces of fish that are at age can eat 2mm 15KG for 4 days, another 1000 pieces else where can eat 2mm 15KG for 5days or more. It all depends on the way you manage your farm. Please ensure their water is clean at all times, make use of on a spot feeding technique and also take time to feed them very well without pouring the feeds into the water any how, when they are okay with the feeds they will naturally leave the spot while some fish can still stay on the spot and there is nothing you can do to make them scatter but you need to observe their mouth and the feeds to be able to determine if they are picking it. I'll advise you feed them twice in a day that is morning & evening. Forn ow, coppens is still the best so I will advise you to get that. At this stage, they should be eating 2mm now. Hope that helps ?

thank you but for how long will they eat 2mm before i change to 3mm and when will i change to 4mm too.
thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 2:53am On Dec 19, 2013
cross234:

thank you but for how long will they eat 2mm before i change to 3mm and when will i change to 4mm too.
thanks

It does not have a specific time. I presently have a stock, they are just 15 days old. They are already on 2mm and if I give them 3mm they will pick it convienently however I advise people to make use of 2mm through out before changing to a local feeds so that those small fingerlins in the pond will be able to catch up otherwise they will become runts.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:41am On Dec 19, 2013
Complement of the season guys,

I want to appreciate every contributor to this thread and even the readers too, you may not know what you have. This information is enough to make a book!

I am based in Benin Edo state and information on fish farming is hotcake, you pay for every little tip. Its very fraustrating and discouraging. Nobody tells you anything cos they want you to keep buying from them and they are full of fraud. No need saying how I paid for one useless feed formular, runt fingerlings etc until I was connected to one lolif farms in Lagos. May God bless him and his business. I call and ping him always, he calls regularly for follow ups, even when I offered to pay him he refused stating that am just a stater. And guess what? HE IS A MUSLIM, am so impressed. Though I don't disturb him again cos am gaining experience but I can never forget him. At a time he advisedme that I've grown beyond buying imported feed that I should buy a peleting maching and proccess my feed. And that's what we do now.

Am only trying to show appreciation here and encourage those that have something to give to do that (freely). Like in my case am looking for opportunity to repay this guy in a big way. Without boast or pride I am better that those guys who introduced me into this (for exploits), when you hoard information you don't learn. They now ask me how I do it and I teach them freely.

If you have any opportunity to add value do it (freely). We met it and we shall all leave it; so impact life.

Thank you lolif farm.

9 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lovelyface: 8:41am On Dec 19, 2013
Hello nairalanders ,
Thank you so much for all your contribution. I am a fish farmer that is finding it hard to sell my fish. The iya elejas I contacted are saying the fishes are too big therefore they cannot buy in such rates. Each of my fish is about 1.5 to 2 kg.
Can anyone help me out on where to sell
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 9:32am On Dec 19, 2013
@ mozek24 pls shed light on this pelleting machine. I think fish farmers are paying too much on foreign feeds. Someone was telling me that there is something that could be added to d feed dt will make it float
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 9:45am On Dec 19, 2013
please i need to know the best mode of housing for the hatchery and if its necessary for me to use a seperate overhead tank for the hatchery

where can i also buy tilapia fingerlings in port harcourt
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 12:32pm On Dec 19, 2013
@ omode 24, a peleting machine is simply a machine that mould feed ingredients into shape and sizes (mm). When you gring and mix all your ingredients for local feed, you simply pour them into the peleting machine to produce the feed into different mm - 2, 4,6mm as the case may be.
They come in different capacity and costs. The one am using is about the smallest. - 50kg/hr costs about N220k depending on where you buy. I got mine from a coy in Ibadan.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2013
robonski15: Fish farming like other business has its prons and cons.. And truthfully its a very lucrative and yet a money draining business..

I have read articles about how lucrative the business is and how to invest and reap millions.. All I do is just to laugh on reading such article.. All they want is just for u to buy their manual and make money.. Surprisingly most of them don't have a farm of their own, they are computer farmers who don't have any experience whatsoever in the business..

I know of farms within my area who have shut down their farms due to frequent loss over the years.. I was also considering shutting down myself after I lost close to 2 million naira, yeah u heard me TWO MILLION NAIRA, but after diligent study which took about a year I decided to give it my last shot..

To be continued..

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 1:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
It's good to b here. I've been longing to make comment. God bless u all
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2013
lovelyface: Hello nairalanders ,
Thank you so much for all your contribution. I am a fish farmer that is finding it hard to sell my fish. The iya elejas I contacted are saying the fishes are too big therefore they cannot buy in such rates. Each of my fish is about 1.5 to 2 kg.
Can anyone help me out on where to sell
Where are you located?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
Good work! am well motivated. plz can I get your e manual or any other boss's. my e mail femylawal@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 1:41pm On Dec 19, 2013
Plz where can i get a water aerator for my ponds and also an automatic feeding machine and approximately how much will it cost me?
N.B, im based in Lagos.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 1:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
ab1x:

You're welcome on board. My take is there is no specific amount of feeds that I can recommend for your fish. While 1000pieces of fish that are at age can eat 2mm 15KG for 4 days, another 1000 pieces else where can eat 2mm 15KG for 5days or more. It all depends on the way you manage your farm. Please ensure their water is clean at all times, make use of on a spot feeding technique and also take time to feed them very well without pouring the feeds into the water any how, when they are okay with the feeds they will naturally leave the spot while some fish can still stay on the spot and there is nothing you can do to make them scatter but you need to observe their mouth and the feeds to be able to determine if they are picking it. I'll advise you feed them twice in a day that is morning & evening. Forn ow, coppens is still the best so I will advise you to get that. At this stage, they should be eating 2mm now. Hope that helps ?

GOT MANY QUESTIONS:
1) 2mm of 15kg of coppens for 4/5 days. Isn't that a lot of feed (N5,600)?
2) When u spot feed, is it all fishes that will swim to dat one spot to feed. Also won't some of the feed still spread?
3) How do u determine weight of fish without bringing dem out of their habitat in order to calculate FCR?
4) I need local feed supply in Ibadan to feed fishes at 2 month.
5) Is the price of catfish regulated in various locality cos I c somepple purchasing table size for smoking @ N360/380 per kilo.
6) Is there a way we can identify catfish farmers on this thread based on their location (I'm based in Ibadan myself, just sold my first harvest and abt to start rearing again. I plan to rear more fishes than I did the last time with no mortality, so help me God).
Thanks, as anybody us free to respond to these questions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 1:49pm On Dec 19, 2013
ab1x:

GOT MANY QUESTIONS:
2) When u spot feed, is it all fishes that will swim to dat one spot to feed. Also won't some of the feed still spread?
3) How do u determine weight of fish without bringing dem out of their habitat in order to calculate FCR?
5) Is the price of catfish regulated in various locality cos I c somepple purchasing table size for smoking @ N360/380 per kilo.
6) Is there a way we can identify catfish farmers on this thread based on their location (I'm based in Ibadan myself, just sold my first harvest and abt to start rearing again. I plan to rear more fishes than I did the last time with no mortality, so help me God).
Thanks, as anybody us free to respond to these questions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 1:50pm On Dec 19, 2013
femylawal: Good work! am well motivated. plz can I get your e manual or any other boss's. my e mail femylawal@gmail.com
@Femilawal :Contact this bro, he has manual on fish farming, piggery, vegetable, goat rearing etc. And there is ongoing promo price. -- Excelsoir | integrated services ltd.
Author,Entrepreneur,farmer,agric
| Consultant(Fish
farm,Poultry,vegetables &
piggery) | Mobile:08035335647
& 08028919405 |
Email:solomonsgn@yahoo.com.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
ab1x:

GOT MANY QUESTIONS:
Thanks, as anybody is free to respond to these questions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2013
DBounty: @fisbel pls send d fish smoking tech to davisbounty77@yahoo.com. God bless u.
Pls would b glad to have fish smoking tech. my mail femylawal@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 2:32pm On Dec 19, 2013
Please find a reply to ur questions below;

practicalclass:

GOT MANY QUESTIONS:
1) 2mm of 15kg of coppens for 4/5 days. Isn't that a lot of feed (N5,600)? It is not much at all. Perhaps you should be happy that your fish are eating well. The more they eat, the bigger they become.

2) When u spot feed, is it all fishes that will swim to dat one spot to feed. Also won't some of the feed still spread? It is not all the fish that will come to eat but majority will gather together to eat. I make use of sound to make them gather together before feeding

3) How do u determine weight of fish without bringing dem out of their habitat in order to calculate FCR? I use the amount of local KG they consume and the number of fish that I stocked, to determine their size.

People in IB should be able to assist u with this info.

It varies from one area to another. It is an open market where equilibrium ie demand and suppy meets to determine the price.

Thanks, as anybody is free to respond to these questions.

I am sure if you request for the info, people will respond. I think excel is in IB too but I am in IJ
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2013
ab1x:
pls for the new pple, pls can concrete pond b flow through

The kind of pond u make use of will determine when to change water. If it is concrete, it has to be every 3 days but if it is earthen using flow through method, u can leave it till harvest time. However, if u like u can change the water once before harvest(but I don't change mine @ all). Please allow your fish to eat enough floating feeds before u switch to local feeds. My formular one is FM 50, TS 20, GNC 20, biscuit 10, Vit C 200grams, Salt 1, Premix 1, DCP 1, Molasis 10 . My formular one is 100KG and it is 100% protein. You will notice massive change in the growth of ur fish. Of a truth, it is quite richer than coppens or any other floating feeds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by batuta: 5:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
Children of God

Where can I get water aerator machine in lagos?

Happy xmas in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
batuta: Children of God

Where can I get water aerator machine in lagos?

Happy xmas in advance
child of God,call 08050986386 or 08037217791,kingdom aquarium,10 sarah faboyede str bucknor behind jakande estate ejigbo or 168 Ejigbo-ikotun rd ejigbo,they deliver also
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lovelyface: 7:07pm On Dec 19, 2013
TOKUGAWA: Where are you located?

@TOKUGAWA, I am located in Ikorodu. Here is my no. 08023335282
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 8:46am On Dec 20, 2013
lovelyface:

@TOKUGAWA, I am located in Ikorodu. Here is my no. 08023335282
already sent u a message
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2013
Pls gurus in the house, Pls aw much is 1kg dry/smoke fish. also aw many kg of fresh catfish shall give 1kg of dry/smoke fish.
Also aw much is 1kg of fresh fish.
pls three questions
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 11:48am On Dec 20, 2013
pls gurus my questions are:
1. can concrete pond be flow through?
2. Also can well water be used instead of borehole because of cost?
3. what extra advantages do casted concretes have over block made ponds?
thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
femylawal: pls gurus my questions are:
thanks
first two questions,yes, d third, just durability,but expensive
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
femylawal: pls gurus my questions are:
thanks
first two questions,yes, d third, just durability,but expensive
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 3:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
excelsiorfarm: first two questions,yes, d third, just durability,but expensive
God bless u Sir
Pls gurus in the house, Pls aw much is 1kg dry/smoke fish. also aw many kg of fresh catfish shall give 1kg of dry/smoke fish.
pls three questions
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 3:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
ab1x:

It does not have a specific time. I presently have a stock, they are just 15 days old. They are already on 2mm and if I give them 3mm they will pick it convienently however I advise people to make use of 2mm through out before changing to a local feeds so that those small fingerlins in the pond will be able to catch up otherwise they will become runts.

pls three questions
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 3:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
Pls any cooperative society in kwara, ilorin precisely.
2. When is dissolved oxygen higher in pond. hot or cold wheather.
3. can hardwater b used for rearing fish. any treatmt to correct hard water for fish rearing.

pls: robonski, excelsiorfarm, ab1x and others
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.