Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,380 members, 7,881,362 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:49 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1512898 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 3:51pm On Dec 20, 2013
femylawal:

Pls gurus in the house, Pls aw much is 1kg dry/smoke fish. also aw many kg of fresh catfish shall give 1kg of dry/smoke fish.
Also aw much is 1kg of fresh fish.
pls three questions

They don't sell dry/smoke fish in Kilos. They only package it in 3's or 4's in a sealed nylon or plastic bags as the case maybe and sell to customers. As regards the issue of price for fresh fish, the price varies from one location to another. While in Lagos, they do no sorting but here in Ogun State, they sort fish which I have explained in my previous post on this thread.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
femylawal: Pls any cooperative society in kwara, ilorin precisely.
2. When is dissolved oxygen higher in pond. hot or cold wheather.
3. can hardwater b used for rearing fish. any treatmt to correct hard water for fish rearing.

pls: robonski, excelsiorfarm, ab1x and others
thanks

I think people in that part of the country should be able to reply to your question as regards cooperative society in Kwara.
Oxygen depletions are the most common cause of fish kills in ponds. Most oxygen deletions occur in the summer months because warm water holds less dissolved oxygen than cool or cold water, and also because the pond’s oxygen demand is greater in warm water than in cold water.
Water hardness is often confusing and therefore overlooked by many fish farmers, though quite important because it is closely related to pH levels. Fish can only thrive in certain levels of water hardness, and if the levels are out of balance, it can cause stress and death. It is important that you know the hardness of the water in your fish tank. Hard water (high mineral content) is usually high in pH. Soft water (low mineral) is usually low in pH. The mineral in hard water acts as a buffer which reduces the amount of acid in the water. The resulting water will be more alkaline and higher in pH. Some species of fish require hard water while others require soft.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
ab1x:

I think people in that part of the country should be able to reply to your question as regards cooperative society in Kwara.
Oxygen depletions are the most common cause of fish kills in ponds. Most oxygen deletions occur in the summer months because warm water holds less dissolved oxygen than cool or cold water, and also because the pond’s oxygen demand is greater in warm water than in cold water.
Water hardness is often confusing and therefore overlooked by many fish farmers, though quite important because it is closely related to pH levels. Fish can only thrive in certain levels of water hardness, and if the levels are out of balance, it can cause stress and death. It is important that you know the hardness of the water in your fish tank. Hard water (high mineral content) is usually high in pH. Soft water (low mineral) is usually low in pH. The mineral in hard water acts as a buffer which reduces the amount of acid in the water. The resulting water will be more alkaline and higher in pH. Some species of fish require hard water while others require soft.

Thanks for the prompt response. God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 4:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
pls can concrete pond b flow through?
Pls what is the estimated cost of standard hatchery that could produce 50,000 fries from the start?

Gurus, pls help.
thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Aleshyto(m): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
ab1x:

sir, tanx for ur response the other time, as regards the provision im seeking ealier, d manager of the mill im using said my 50k can only gv me 100k feeds which can only last me till the middlee of january sir may be till then if there is anything u can do for me pls i will be forever greatful sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Hi peeps, plz who has an idea of how much a 2000Litre GeePee capacity water tank costs?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yemiakeem: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
femylawal:
Pls would b glad to have fish smoking tech. my mail femylawal@gmail.com
for God' sake pls it to m. yemiakeem20@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
Please can you also send me the catfish smoking techniques. Everything from equipment to processing it . My mail is okaforinchrist@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:53pm On Dec 21, 2013
Belexy: Hi peeps, plz who has an idea of how much a 2000Litre GeePee capacity water tank costs?

Hello house am currently on vacation, I had to take some time off..

2000litres geepee tank cost 22k to 23k in lagos.. Price may vary from location..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
robonski15:

Hello house am currently on vacation, I had to take some time off..

2000litres geepee tank cost 22k to 23k in lagos.. Price may vary from location..
thanks boss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 7:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hello house, pls how much is fish meal 72% and where can I buy it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 8:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Belexy:
thanks boss.
pls how can concrete pond be made 'flow through'. thankz
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hello house, pls approximately how many litres of water can a 12feet by 6feet by 3feet(depth) pond contain? And approxiamtely how many fish can i breed to table size in it? Pls i need answers to diz. Thanks house.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 8:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pls what is the estimated cost of standard hatchery that could produce 50,000 fries from the start?

Gurus, pls help.
thanks[/quote]
oga, pls answer my question. robonski, excelsoir, ab1x
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 11:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
mozek24: Hello house, pls how much is fish meal 72% and where can I buy it.
its around 550-600 Naira/KG depending on your location. but I used local fish meal wc is 65%(from what I was told). @ 200-250/KG . Ask from feed millers.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:27am On Dec 23, 2013
femylawal:
pls how can concrete pond be made 'flow through'. thankz

Concrete ponds can be made flow through when water flows into the pond through the pond inlets while water flows out of the pond through the outlet of the ponds..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:53am On Dec 23, 2013
ՏҽɑՏօղ'Տ ցɾҽҽԵíղցՏ to you all!!!

Am expecting a christmas chicken from someone oo grin..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:54am On Dec 23, 2013
femylawal:
oga, pls answer my question. robonski, excelsoir, ab1x
oga it seems i answered a similar question before, check, except it ain't on this thread
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nne4(f): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
robonski15: ՏҽɑՏօղ'Տ ցɾҽҽԵíղցՏ to you all!!!

Am expecting a christmas chicken from someone oo grin..

hahahaha
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by nne4(f): 3:30pm On Dec 23, 2013
l stocked 2000 post fingerlins on 9th Dec. and they are doing well. Thank you my ogas for your time and advice.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2013
Belexy: Hello house, pls approximately how many litres of water can a 12feet by 6feet by 3feet(depth) pond contain? And approxiamtely how many fish can i breed to table size in it? Pls i need answers to diz. Thanks house.
Plz someone shd answer.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
Belexy:
Plz someone shd answer.
6116.4 litres
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 10:14pm On Dec 23, 2013
robonski15:

Concrete ponds can be made flow through when water flows into the pond through the pond inlets while water flows out of the pond through the outlet of the ponds..
thankz oga mi Sir. but wont dat involve using pumpin machine, generator , aerator etc.
thankzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by femylawal: 10:22pm On Dec 23, 2013
excelsiorfarm: oga it seems i answered a similar question before, check, except it ain't on this thread

sir, u answered concrete being flow through not d estimate for 50,000 capacity hatchery
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:07am On Dec 24, 2013
femylawal:

sir, u answered concrete being flow through not d estimate for 50,000 capacity hatchery
three white tanks when cut in two should be able to handle it, for faster growth u can use four, all your plumbing accessories won't exceed 15K or less if u are d one doin d plumbing( cost of tanks varies)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:10am On Dec 24, 2013
femylawal:
thankz oga mi Sir. but wont dat involve using pumpin machine, generator , aerator etc.
thankzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
just water in water out, just have sufficient water
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 1:17am On Dec 25, 2013
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:19am On Dec 25, 2013
Belexy:
And how many fingerlings should i stock in this pond (12ft x 6ft x 3ft) to breed to table size?
u no dey rest, MERRY CHRISTMAS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:50am On Dec 25, 2013
MERRY XMAS TO YOU ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE!!!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kul3ger(m): 8:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
mozek24: Complement of the season guys,

I want to appreciate every contributor to this thread and even the readers too, you may not know what you have. This information is enough to make a book!

I am based in Benin Edo state and information on fish farming is hotcake, you pay for every little tip. Its very fraustrating and discouraging. Nobody tells you anything cos they want you to keep buying from them and they are full of fraud. No need saying how I paid for one useless feed formular, runt fingerlings etc until I was connected to one lolif farms in Lagos. May God bless him and his business. I call and ping him always, he calls regularly for follow ups, even when I offered to pay him he refused stating that am just a stater. And guess what? HE IS A MUSLIM, am so impressed. Though I don't disturb him again cos am gaining experience but I can never forget him. At a time he advisedme that I've grown beyond buying imported feed that I should buy a peleting maching and proccess my feed. And that's what we do now.

Am only trying to show appreciation here and encourage those that have something to give to do that (freely). Like in my case am looking for opportunity to repay this guy in a big way. Without boast or pride I am better that those guys who introduced me into this (for exploits), when you hoard information you don't learn. They now ask me how I do it and I teach them freely.

If you have any opportunity to add value do it (freely). We met it and we shall all leave it; so impact life.

Thank you lolif farm.
Mozek, i'm so happy to have an Edolite on d thread...i jus started on a very smal scale(stockd 400 fingerlings last week) n i av bn hapi wit der coperation so far...lol...thanks to evry1 on the thread, especialy Prof. Robonski hu haz bn my private tutor...pls can i av your contact so i could reach you?..thanks...merry xmas 2 you all, special one to Sir Robonski!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by niyeee: 8:28pm On Dec 25, 2013
Merry xmas
Can someone just give me an analysis on how to sell about 12,000 catfish.

I move round the market in my area of recent and realised that few ppl sell catfish.

Am not saying i have it to sell now but i just want to have the marketting knowledge of how i can go about it.

My oga's i need ur advice
cos you know how frustrating it is if you dont have answer to a troubling question
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 10:37pm On Dec 25, 2013
niyeee: Merry xmas
Can someone just give me an analysis on how to sell about 12,000 catfish.

I move round the market in my area of recent and realised that few ppl sell catfish.

Am not saying i have it to sell now but i just want to have the marketting knowledge of how i can go about it.

My oga's i need ur advice
cos you know how frustrating it is if you dont have answer to a troubling question

Go and rear it first, when you've them readily available. You can then come back so that we can connect you to various buyers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.