Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,572 members, 7,978,900 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:30 PM

7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (54977 Views)

Taking Food Out Of Airplanes / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by johnkent(m): 2:04am On Mar 30, 2013
Jollof: Like me, I bet you've all run around with your bathing towels wrapped above your shoulders like a cape and pretended to be Superman (and if you haven't then it's never too late!). Ever since I was a little brat I wanted to take to the skies. Air travel is the next best thing and I'm always looking forward to having a glass plastic cup of ice-cold apple juice which always tastes better at 10,000 feet. What could possibly disrupt this moment of long-awaited bliss? Cue the Nigerians... On my recent return trip from New York alone I encountered 7 annoying things Nigerians did on the plane:

1. Securing beds...in Economy Class! There's a game Nigerian passengers play whenever they're on-board a semi-full airplane - It's kind of similar to Musical Chairs...but without the music. Passengers snub the seats assigned to them and scout for a stretch of three to four empty seats before take-off. Handbags and other luggage items are strategically placed on empty seats in the hope for that Business Class experience - pathetic.

2. Making dramatic Nollywood scenes. Whoever said 'Rules are meant to be broken' must have been a Nigerian. We're pretty damn good at breaking rules...into smithereens, just for good measure. There was one woman sat at the front of economy class with her less-than-a-year-old baby. She put her baby down on the empty seat next to her when the seat belt light was off (not sure if that's proper in the first place but I'll let her off on that one). The moment the seat belt light was back on, however, one of the air hostesses called her to order and told her to strap her baby in place - RED ALERT! RED ALERT! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! You knew from the way the irritated mother turned her neck with that 'oh-no-you-didn't' expression all over her face that cabin pressure was under serious threat. Needless today she told the air hostess to mind her own business - ironically, that's what the air-hostess was trying to do in the first place...Safety of passengers...DUH! I can't remember if the thud I heard later on was due to turbulence or because the baby had rolled off the chair...

3. Taking pictures. You can imagine trying to enjoy a good book when suddenly the corner of your eye picks up the flash photography of some newbie whose obviously hell-bent on convincing everyone back in Nigeria that he/she indeed travel abroad. Newsflash! There may be people with photosensitive epilepsy on-board or nearby pilots wondering if there is a terrorist hijacking, with one unfortunate Nigerian who decided to break one simple rule 'DON'T MOVE!' (go figure!)

4. Farting. It's bad enough you left your assigned seat at the front and decided to come behind me and stretch yourself across four empty seats. Now you're so generous as to share your flatulence with me in small doses of ammonia-laced farts...not a one-off...periodic discharges which could catch choke me unawares if I dare yawn. FYI, avoid fizzy drinks on the plane if you know you can't handle your abdominal tract like few pros among us.

5. Drink to stupor. Is it the sheer pettiness of wanting to get one's money's worth that would make a passenger drink like a fish? (Remember, its Nigerians we're talking about here). Of course, it's not the drinking that bothers me but the mindless banter and laughter at completely 'unfunny' things that drives me up the Berlin wall (just like that - after a couple of drinks you'd be in stitches when you read 'drive me up the berlin wall').

6. Leaving toilets unlocked. Common sense consistently fails to prevail when most Nigerians use the airline's restrooms. It all boils down to refusing to acknowledge the instructions/directions carefully displayed all around them. It's quite simple - you enter the restroom and close it behind you. Right there on door is a slide lock which denotes 'Slide left to lock and right to open'. Why wouldn't I be interested in making sure that no one accidentally sees my 'bits'? Didn't they notice the green 'vacant' or the red 'occupied' sign before entering the lavatory? At my last count I've walked in on 3 unfortunate passengers who forgot to lock behind (but they all did once I exposed them...makes you wonder, eh?).

7. Sitting ovation. I'm not sure if you can relate but you're nearing your flight destination and as soon as the plane lands successfully passengers around you start to clap until virtually everyone joins in. Why are they doing this, you ask? beats me - for landing safely or for not crashing into the deep blue sea or for getting their money's worth after usurping the mini bar...I dunno. The clapping is cheesy in my opinion. I'd much prefer passengers go one by one to shake the pilot(s) for a job well done plane well-landed.

And coming in at a surprise number 8 is Irregular exercise. Make no mistake about it, Nigerians are terrified about premature death, more so than the average civilian (if that makes any sense). I've seen the most bizarre repetitions performed from kicking mid-air to punching only your left arm over the seat head in the same direction. Deep Vein thrombosis is no laughing matter so I guess all I have to do is close my eyes next time if I don't want to behold seemingly amateurish 'Kung-fu'.

See you on the next flight and God help you if you're sitting next to me, lol.

Because you hold a US passport doesn't mean you don't stink. You were probably stinking up the whole plane. Poor girl had to put up with your ass. You are just very very ignorant.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Those Nigerians in ATL and Tx got wrong behaviour especially the ones based in Houston and Austin in Tx.
Very true.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Talking from experience honey,ATL is a no go area,those guys got no Yankee feelings at all as they behave like traders in Aba.
ok, this is where there is a problem. A lot of people who fly out of ATL come in from different places; NYC, LA, DC etc etc. As long as you plan on using a direct Delta flight from the States to Lagos, Atlanta is gonna be your exit point. So all this your yarn about ATL not being a go area is just wash.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:05am On Mar 30, 2013
seedord247:

Please give Houston a trial grin
bro you can't blame the ones in Houston and Austin as they are mostly farmers who left Naija and continue farming in Yankee in the name of gardens.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:06am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

In December 2000, I alongside my dad and siblings, boarded a TWA flight from Gatwick to St Louis Missouri. The flight last for around 13 hours.
*TWA is now defunct*

13 hours ?? I'll stop complaining about the 6-7 hours I have to endure.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:07am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
who hasn't heard about Nigerians? we are the same, anywhere we go.
True true cool
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:07am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
ok, this is where there is a problem. A lot of people who fly out of ATL come in from different places; NYC, LA, DC etc etc. As long as you plan on using a direct Delta flight from the States to Lagos, Atlanta is gonna be your exit point. So all this your yarn about ATL not being a go area is just wash.
Guess you are a GA breed,don't take it hard on you sweety.
Naija GA breeds got attitude problem,it shows wherever they goes.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:08am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
6-7 is beans. Most times I have to take a 9 hour flight from ATL to Amsterdam/Paris and a 6 hour flight from Amsterdam/Paris to Lagos. With some 4 hours layover....you haven't experienced REAL travel.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Guess you are a GA breed,don't take hard on you sweety.
Repping ATL here, man. wink wink
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Guess you are a GA breed,don't take hard on you sweety.
GA breed ? All these Yankee talk, please elaborate somebody
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
GA as in Georgia.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
The good thing about such long-haul trips is the entertainment that is provided.

I will never forget my experience on-board Emirates airline in October 2006. The Lagos-Dubai and Dubai-JFK flights were absolutely wonderful. I watched some movies and listened to music, on both flights. The meals served in the Economy class of Emirates is definitely comparable to that served in First class of most US/European carriers.

1 Like

ItsModella:
6-7 is beans. Most times I have to take a 9 hour flight from ATL to Amsterdam/Paris and a 6 hour flight from Amsterdam/Paris to Lagos. With some 4 hours layover....you haven't experienced REAL travel.
One day, I will. When that special someone will take me to Dubai grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:11am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
You na London breed na,you dey off topic ooo
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
GA as in Georgia.
Lol okay. Seems to make sense. Silly me
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Guess you are a GA breed,don't take it hard on you sweety.
Naija GA breeds got attitude problem,it shows wherever they goes.
fa fa fa foul...you want attitude? find your way to Maryland.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:12am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
Repping ATL here, man. wink wink
Hmmm no wonder,that's where Naija agberos chose to settle. My kid sis is on scholarship at Perimeter College,ATL
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:13am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: You na London breed na,you dey off topic ooo
Leave me Jor ! At least I dont have to suffer as much with the stinking toilets grin
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:13am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
MD is filled with omo nnas
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:14am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Leave me Jor ! At least I dont have to suffer as much with the stinking toilets grin
LMAO
BA thingz abi
,or you Arik
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:14am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Hmmm no wonder,that's where Naija agberos chose to settle. My kid sis is on scholarship at Perimeter College,ATL
Ok, zip it. angry angry
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:14am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:

Na wa. E be like say Nigerians in the East Coast get issues.
Thank God say I dey San Diego County.

The OP's point about carrying excessive lugguage is poignant. Those things may have caused the malfunctioning of the MMIA baggage carousels. undecided
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:15am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
Ok, zip it. angry angry
lol
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Paentera(m): 2:16am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
They took jollof rice through the security checkpoint and into the plane? shocked shocked

wow, the Italians must have a really lax attitude towards security.

It's obvious this was made up. Immediately I read that bit, it was obvious the poster added it for dramatic effect.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:16am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:
The good thing about such long-haul trips is the entertainment that is provided.

I will never forget my experience on-board Emirates airline in October 2006. The Lagos-Dubai and Dubai-JFK flights were absolutely wonderful. I watched some movies and listened to music, on both flights. The meals served in the Economy class of Emirates is definitely comparable to that served in First class of most US/European carriers.

Chai. Mehhnn you americanas try o. D
Emirates is a wonderful airline. One day I'll will step foot into their plane and step foot into Dubai. grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:16am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: LMAO
BA thingz abi
,or you Arik

BA has a near total domination of the Naija-UK direct routes. I wished Arik provided a stiffer competition to them.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:16am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Na wa. E be like say Nigerians in the East Coast get issues.
Thank God say I dey San Diego County.

On the OP's point about carrying excessive lugguage is poignant. Those things may have caused the malfunctioning of the MMIA baggage carousels. undecided
When it comes to excessive luggages give it to UK and Amsterdam breeds,those people like overload with plenty okirika.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 30, 2013
Paentera:

It's obvious this was made up. Immediately I read that bit, it was obvious the poster added it for dramatic effect.

I don't think so. undecided
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: LMAO
BA thingz abi
,or you Arik
Forget arik, my mum is too scared to enter their planes. Its either BA or KLM cool
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:18am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

BA has a near total domination of the Naija-UK direct routes. I wished Arik provided a stiffer competition to them.
Arik seem to have chicken out after the little check-up from British aviation authority last year.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:19am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Forget arik, my mum is too scared to enter their planes. Its either BA or KLM cool
I so much love KLM

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:19am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: When it comes to excessive luggages give to UK and Amsterdam breeds,those people like overload with plenty okirika.
THIS IS TRUE AND I AM ONE THEM. TEAM OVERLOAD LUGGAGE. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

The New Nigerian International Passport: The Truth And The Lies By AutoReportNG / Reckless Danfo Driver Collides With A Toyota Hiace Bus On Otedola Bridge / EKSU Students At OUIDAH, Python Temple Benin Republic (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.