Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,407 members, 7,881,478 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:51 PM

This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. - Foreign Affairs (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. (94454 Views)

Captured On Our Streets By A Foreign Lens, Images that shamed Britain !!!! / Britain Gives The Go Ahead To Murder Ghaddafi / Should Great Britain Hand Back The Falklands Over To Argentina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (157) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Iyaqueen(f): 2:47am On Apr 04, 2013
OMG dis trend make me feel better, cos I thought am d only 1 paying bills, house rent £650 per mth,c-tax free cos am in school it could hv bn £90 per mth,mi nd hubby fone £80,gas + ele £84 sometimes is more than cos we need to put d heating or cos of d kids,sky+broadband+landfone package£45,petrol £120 per mth, shopping weekly na to manage Ooº° £50, I don't know how much I spend on 9ja food cos is expensive,payback bill asin owning(45) after school club for 1st boy a mth £32 than creche £402 per mth, abi we no go do fine boy nd fine girl omo na packaging now Ooº° lol mummy go make hair £30, daddy + 2 boys (barber) £20 per mth, gues wat no work + no benefit...only bebefit for d boys £520, we still. Give God all the glory...gud nite
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by coogar: 2:47am On Apr 04, 2013
davidylan:
This is flatly untrue. I suppose that is what you all say to make yourselves feel better. It costs $4000/month to rent condos in NYC so keep quiet about your 1bdr house. We may not pay as much tax as you do... but we have to fork out money out of pocket to pay for health services you get on the taxes you pay so what's new?

$4000? the equivalent of £2200?
most people pay more than that for a one tiny match-box flat. it's only on this island you would see flats that go for as high as £8000 or £10,000 per week.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Why can't you compare like for like and compare the money I pay for heating with the money you pay for heating?? And make sure you convert the pounds sterling to the dollar equivalent...

Do that and we can start talking....

I probably pay less for heating because unlike you, i frankly dont believe in throwing away money. I moved 20 mins away from work to avoid paying higher property taxes. The difference i plough into personal savings and my retirement account. It is nonsense to think you have made it because you pay an exorbitant cost for heat.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by sandysprax(m): 2:48am On Apr 04, 2013
abiL:

A lot of Nigerians living in London are traffic wardens lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

He he he!!! (Only joking)

And G4S Staff too grin grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:48am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

most people pay more than that for a one tiny match-box flat. it's only on this island you would see flats that go for as high as £8000 or £10,000 per week.

Then move to a cheaper spot and save your dough. What's the point working just to pay bills with little to show at the end of the year?

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:48am On Apr 04, 2013
davidylan:
This is flatly untrue. I suppose that is what you all say to make yourselves feel better. It costs $4000/month to rent condos in NYC so keep quiet about your 1bdr house. We may not pay as much tax as you do... but we have to fork out money out of pocket to pay for health services you get on the taxes you pay so what's new?

Is $4000 the price for a condo everywhere in NYC

Well, it costs 7000 pounds/month to rent a one-bedroom house in Knightsbridge and Bayswater... So keep quiet about NYC... grin

Make sure you do the maths and convert the pounds sterling to dollars... cool
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:49am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
I was going to apply to kings but I became to scared - they all seemed a bit too intelligent to me (I regret not applying)
You can always visit me grin
And thanks smiley

I'll as long as you'll cook for me... wink
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:50am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Why can't you compare like for like and compare the money I pay for heating with the money you pay for heating?? And make sure you convert the pounds sterling to the dollar equivalent...

Do that and we can start talking....

Bro, it depens on where you live. I paid $238 on heat for the month of March. My condo is a three bedroom duplex.
shymexx:

I'll as long as you'll cook for me... wink
No problem tongue grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by abiL(f): 2:50am On Apr 04, 2013
Iyaqueen: OMG dis trend make me feel better, cos I thought am d only 1 paying bills, house rent £650 per mth,c-tax free cos am in school it could hv bn £90 per mth,mi nd hubby fone £80,gas + ele £84 sometimes is more than cos we need to put d heating or cos of d kids,sky+broadband+landfone package£45,petrol £120 per mth, shopping weekly na to manage Ooº° £50, I don't know how much I spend on 9ja food cos is expensive,payback bill asin owning(45) after school club for 1st boy a mth £32 than creche £402 per mth, abi we no go do fine boy nd fine girl omo na packaging now Ooº° lol mummy go make hair £30, daddy + 2 boys (barber) £20 per mth, gues wat no work + no benefit...only bebefit for d boys £520, we still. Give God all the glory...gud nite

Insurance, road tax and MOT as well ... He he he

God save the queen! grin

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by coogar: 2:50am On Apr 04, 2013
davidylan:
I beg to differ coogar. The above has been peddled for so long that we now take it for gospel truth. You should try living in NYC, DC or even LA. Another point... you really dont have to live in a cripplingly expensive city if you cant honestly afford it. Its just plain silly... move to a cheaper spot and save money. Nigerians love the ego boost of being able to say they live in London. then come here and whine about cost of living.

london is more expensive than anywhere in america - it's not even close!
however, americans at least get the value of the amount they spend, londoners are not even close into getting that. how can you pay £4000 per month on a small flat and not have a parking space? your kitchen is bigger than the living room of most houses in london. there's no space at all - most people park on the streets and sometimes you pay for those!
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by KingPradas(m): 2:50am On Apr 04, 2013
No one forces you to stay, if you cannot afford leave.
wtf? grin grin grin grin grin

where do I even start from? money issues.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by 2legit2qwt: 2:51am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

It's london, what do you expect? It's like comparing California or NY to other parts of the country
Relatively speaking, these are the most expensive parts in the US. Same with London or can you compare houses in London to the ones in Leicester?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Inoknowbook: 2:52am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

That's the truth... I was lucky to have some American students on scholarship in my class whilst I was in uni - and they believe the same thing as well... UK education is widely believed to be the best in the world...

Get the Bleep out of here. UK education better than that of the US? You must must be smoking weed. American universities rank higher than other universities all over the world year in year out. Stop taking comfort in your limited circumstances. You can never compare the two, US is far better. If doubt me Google world universities ranking. Gosh!
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by NLGwoodey: 2:52am On Apr 04, 2013
Haha..

I still have about $10K left in my student's loan. This bill sticks with you for life...even
bankruptcy will not erase it. Good thing is that the interest paid on students' loans is tax-
deductible. My interest rate now is 2.38% (not bad).

But UK, USA or any developed country is all about Bills Bills Bills

The good thing about US is that you can relocate to cheaper states like Texas, Georgia, etc. mainly
in the south. But here in southern California, it sure feels like daylight robbery with all the bills
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by seyibrown(f): 2:52am On Apr 04, 2013
redsun:

You cut your coat according to your size.Dont carry what you can't handle,it is stressful.

You haven't heard! They've changed that saying to: 'Cut your coat according to your cloth'. You can't make a long coat out of material that is only enough for a short coat. Forget your size ... look at the cloth! grin grin grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

london is more expensive than anywhere in america - it's not even close!
however, americans at least get the value of the amount they spend, londoners are not even close into getting that. how can you pay £4000 per month on a small flat and not have a parking space? your kitchen is bigger than the living room of most houses in london. there's no space at all - most people park on the streets and sometimes you pay for those!

Well thank God. In Texas you can afford a 5 bdr mansion on less than it costs to buy a studio in london. grin I'd rather have comfort with spare change in the pocket than working like jacky to pay for a room where even bed plus one chair na manage.

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:53am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Bro, it depens on where you live. I paid $238 on heat for the month of March. My condo is a three bedroom duplex.

What's the pounds sterling equivalent?? I'm sure people living in three-bedroom houses in the UK pay at least twice the money you pay for heat monthly...
KingPradas: No one forces you to stay, if you cannot afford leave.

bros i tire o! grin Na by force to live in london?
coogar:

There are apartments in New York that cost $15,000 and above per month. Ariana Huffington pays $36,000 mothly on three bedroom apartment in New York.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
No problem tongue grin

Give papi a kiss.. wink
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Give papi a kiss.. wink
No
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:55am On Apr 04, 2013
I no know book:

Get the Bleep out of here. UK education better than that of the US? You must must be smoking weed. American universities rank higher than other universities all over the world year in year out. Stop taking comfort in your limited circumstances. You can never compare the two, US is far better. If doubt me Google world universities ranking. Gosh!

Mr. "color" and "vapor" - this is the University rankings: http://m.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/11/qs-world-top-100-universities-data-mit-cambridge

Enjoy! undecided
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:55am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
No

Hmmm... Why?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:56am On Apr 04, 2013
davidylan:

I probably pay less for heating because unlike you, i frankly dont believe in throwing away money. I moved 20 mins away from work to avoid paying higher property taxes. The difference i plough into personal savings and my retirement account. It is nonsense to think you have made it because you pay an exorbitant cost for heat.

Just like me. Imagine I got a job in Washington D.C recently with higher pay. When I compared my proposed income to what I currently earn, Oh pls! I decided to stay in North Carolina.

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by coogar: 2:56am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:
There are apartments in New York that cost $15,000 and above per month. Ariana Huffington pays $36,000 mothly on three bedroom apartment in New York.

£10,000 per week is £43,333 per month = $70,000 in america.
and these apartments have no back garden or even a garage. your kids are not allowed ball games and they don't get to run in the yard at all. forget it, america is child's play to london!
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:58am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

and these apartments have no back garden or even a garage. your kids are not allowed ball games and they don't get to run in the yard at all. forget it, america is child's play to london!

These people don't even know how expensive London is... grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:59am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

Blood of God shocked shocked shocked

That's like 2 years worth of tuition for most colleges here.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by lee007(m): 2:59am On Apr 04, 2013
Reading these post I can't just but thank my stars I didn't bite the bait to go to the UK for Postgraduate studies....For anyone seriously interested in making a good life out of Nigeria, the best option are places like New Zealand, Canada, Australia and maybe the united states.

The UK is just too over hyped o jare, Loved holidaying there......apart from those two weeks.... shikenna!!!

I think to economic pressure from the EU is getting to the UK and the only option is for the queen to dig more quids from the people...don't know how long that will last

Here I only pay $25p/m for Hydro and thats it!

Road Tax, Council Tax, TV License, Water rate, Electricity Bill....Kilode shocked shocked
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 2:59am On Apr 04, 2013
coogar:

that is not luxury. That is suffering. grin If i pay $70,000/month on a house then it better come with a helipad. Only an idiot would spend that much money for a house no bigger than a match box.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by coogar: 3:00am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:
These people don't even know how expensive London is... grin

this is why people complain londoners are stingy.....
nah, they are not stingy - it's just that they pay too much for littlest of things!

davidylan:
that is not luxury. That is suffering. grin If i pay $70,000/month on a house then it better come with a helipad. Only an idiot would spend that much money for a house no bigger than a match box.

well - there are certain things to consider....
environment, the calibre of neighbours you would have, the calibre of the people your children would mix it and blah blah blah. besides, it depends on the job you have. some contractors rake in £10,000 per day and then you have the city traders(wayne rooney/ronaldo/messi have nothing on these ones)!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (157) (Reply)

"It Means I Won" - Trump Reacts To Georgian Governor's Tweet / This Picture Will Change Your View About Obama / Joe Biden Falls On Stage At U.S Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.