Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,831 members, 7,872,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist - Religion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist (45150 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / The Council That Created Jesus - By Former Pastor, Ray Hagins / Former Pastor Says ''Jesus Is Not Coming Back!'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Opengates(m): 3:56pm On Aug 14, 2013
Beretta92: Yeah,this guy reminds me of how back in the days,i also spent sleepless nights on my knees seeking god to use me.How i spent entire days on my bible.i still have that bible.Although i was quite young,my spiritual expectations were enormous.My preaching both in n out of the pulpit moved 'sinners' to tears.And finally i found out i'd been seeking the air all along.

It is a pity. Go through the bible, the people God used were called and chosen by God, they didn't force themselves on Him. It is only the called that are the chosen and only those chosen can be glorified.
Why not serve God in a department in your church rather than wanting to be what He did not create you to be? You can only end up being a disgrace to His Holy Name if He had just allowed you as you wanted (have your ways).
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 03, 2013
don33310: Religion have cause more problems than good,how i wish,i can abolish it.

Its because of what this pounds of flesh called preachers do, if u understand that some of them were never chosen by God then u will ask God to show u the truth, God is true and real. Have u wondered who services the sun, why hv the so called scientist not bEen able to get so close to the sun? Do u know its maker? Do u knw there are 600 angels paddling the course of the sun? My dear God is true and alive,
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 19, 2013
ARENT YOU GUYS NOT SEEING THE WAY
MOSLEMS ARE DROPPING THEIR OWN, WITH
THEIR OWN VERSION FROM THE QUORAN AND
CHRISTIANS ARE ALSO DROPPING THEIR OWN,
USING BIBLE PASSAGES, I don't know why you
guys are not noticing this. It seems that
christians shld sort things out 1st with moslems
before attacking the confused, who then choose
not to believe any. Don't give me this silly point
that its d same God but different ways of
worship. Why will a God cause diversion in his
church. The more you guys appear on this topic,
the more point you prove to atheists. What is
happening here is christians and moslems, using
their own belliefs to make intelligent and
logicalatheists believe. Besides believing in
something with jst mere faith from a book that
contradicts itself(bible) whom a lot of christians
dont even know its origin is jst crazy. starting
from Genesis where God says let there be light
on the 1st day and created the sun on the fourth
day. where did dt light come from??. what kind
of faith do you want to use to believe that. it is
only telling us that the bible was written when
there were no scientists who later found out that
the earth was round and ther are other planets.
(let me ask you guys what did God made them
for?). scientists have seen the arrangement of
the planets and seen that earth's composition is
that which can suit life of humans. I can go on
and on and you will come out of your denial
states and be a deep thinker like me.to see more
errors in the bible, follow the link.(
www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/
inconsistencies.html
) find out answers to those and cone nd
challenge me . it has made me not believe in the
bible. I am not an atheist, but I do believe that
therez somepower/somethinh that started
creation. therez no name for it yet, I could call it
God, but not actually the christian God cos az far
as I am concerned, the bible brings up more
confusion. I c christians goin to hospital to treat
illness. why waste your money when bible said dt
all you need to do is say it with faith as small
as a mustard sees. yet you c ppl embark on
seruous prayers and fasting and when the sick
persob dies, u sayy its the will of God...his ways
are not our ways . are yu kidding me?, so y
pray?then why did he watch you guys pray and
fast if he still wanted the sick person dead I
know the answer that should be comming to a
logical brain by now..
On a final note, to you these nigerian people that
start to curse oders by calling them names like
fo0lish, ignorant and the rest nd try to use words
that are scary to you like saying they arr doomed
to eternal damnatiion or hell or lake of fire. lool,
I was born into a christian home so I have read
the bible well.
i guess I have come across the place which says
that if you call your brother a fo0l, then you are
doomed for hell, so if your bible is true, you
know what you xpect. a lot of you guys like
twisting the bible; I did dt then when I
encourtered things that i could not cope with till I
finally gave up the stuff.
the truth is dt the fear of hell is what is keepinf
95% of christians still practicing it even when
they encounter erronous works. the one dt still
makes me laugh is the wisdom of solomon where
he found tge mother of a baby. DNA does that
everyday......even the computer and internet
which you are even uzn to type answers the
question. its rational minds that did it. irrational
minds cant
conclusion; this is no copy and paste frm any
site, am only saying my mind from my
experience
a lot of ppl are thinking of this, pls lets try to be
rational
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 7:47am On Sep 20, 2013
@ nwuyag this your post shows ignorance! why? Many reasons
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Infomizer(m): 9:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
Proffdada:
if u call myopic reasoning based on physical evidence intelligence then wisdom is infinite lightyears away from u
My wise friend, will you be kind enough to provide your own definition of intelligence?
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 21, 2013
Rexyl: @ nwuyag this your post shows ignorance! why? Many reasons
I am ignorant because I choose to be free and not put myself into something that brings me confusion and questions and has never, put food forme on my table, take me to work, pass my xams for me...
pls prove every of my posts wrong...thetruth is dt arguing will nevet solve anytn cos of wt is blinding u. the same way I look at moslemsand laugh or wenn u feel annoyedwen they try preaching to u, that is the xact way atheists see religion.
look at that perspective beforeu comment
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 7:16am On Sep 22, 2013
nwuyag:
I am ignorant because I choose to be free and not put myself into something that brings me confusion and questions and has never, put food forme on my table, take me to work, pass my xams for me...
pls prove every of my posts wrong...thetruth is dt arguing will nevet solve anytn cos of wt is blinding u. the same way I look at moslemsand laugh or wenn u feel annoyedwen they try preaching to u, that is the xact way atheists see religion.
look at that perspective beforeu comment

Don't jump to conclusion here without reading through many posts, the OP is primarily concerned about people denying existence of God, and this is so after they had been so much occupied with the physical environment and placed their beliefs on what they can sense, and believed that anything outside this is not sensible. People who are ignorant to know that life is also influenced by the spiritual aspects. They are in support of reasons that make some people deny existence of God but fail to disprove existence of Satan and the acts of divination whether for evil or good. People who don't know that once they come to faith they also come to continuous struggle against the devil that will always seek ways to destroy souls. Knowing God and walking with Him in obedience is a continuous process which Satan is ever ready to obstruct. One thing is certain if you deny existence of God you cannot deny existence of devil and forces/minds of evil that Science can never control.
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by khalids: 10:27am On Nov 08, 2013
--Change is the most difficult thing in life. Trying to convince people that they are wrong is also a very difficult thing. Telling people to leave their comfort zone is also a very difficult thing. Do you ever wonder why, the first person to suggest that, the world was spherical, was killed. It was because he was saying something that would force them to change their believes, to question themselves, to leave their comfort zone.

Lots of people are born into certain beliefs and its real difficult for them to change those beliefs, in fact its outright scary.

We all need to seat back and weigh what we are told, read with understanding, do our own personal research rather than regurgitating things we have heard and have absolutely no idea of.

Today, we all know the world is spherical, because someone decided to question the beliefs of the day. Only those who seek the truth will find it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
khalids: --Change is the most difficult thing in life. Trying to convince people that they are wrong is also a very difficult thing. Telling people to leave their comfort zone is also a very difficult thing. Do you ever wonder why, the first person to suggest that, the world was spherical, was killed. It was because he was saying something that would force them to change their believes, to question themselves, to leave their comfort zone.

Lots of people are born into certain beliefs and its real difficult for them to change those beliefs, in fact its outright scary.

We all need to seat back and weigh what we are told, read with understanding, do our own personal research rather than regurgitating things we have heard and have absolutely no idea of.

Today, we all know the world is spherical, because someone decided to question the beliefs of the day. Only those who seek the truth will find it.

People who are passionate for the truth will like to seek the truth, identify it and hold on to it be it on the physical or the spiritual. In science people have explored so many things and made some discoveries which have changed human perspectives and created many new things. Belief is just a way of appreciating wonders of creation and recognising the mighty Creator. Christianity is based on the truth of Almighty God the Creator, His knowledge and proper way to serve Him. He created and gave humans the power to bring substances into being from existing things. That the world is spherical should not have caused any threat as regards peoples‘ belief about God in line with the doctrine and design of the universe. This fact was also supported in the Bible.
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 1:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
Rexyl:

People who are passionate for the truth will like to seek the truth, identify it and hold on to it be it on the physical or the spiritual. In science people have explored so many things and made some discoveries which have changed human perspectives and created many new things. Belief is just a way of appreciating wonders of creation and recognising the mighty Creator. Christianity is based on the truth of Almighty God the Creator, His knowledge and proper way to serve Him. He created and gave humans the power to bring substances into being from existing things. That the world is spherical should not have caused any threat as regards peoples‘ belief about God in line with the doctrine and design of the universe. This fact was also supported in the Bible.

he's just telling you that you need to question your belief
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 4:56am On Aug 15, 2014
ooman: ^^^^you are in a state of great personality disorder.

You really think the spirit world exist based on what exactly? the bible?

You know what i believe is true? That it is Sango who causes thunder always because the book of Sango worshipers say so and no matter what i now know to cause thunder, that is just a lie, it is Sango that causes thunder always.

How does that logic sound to you?
Guy the stupid exist to be ruled by their superior intellectuals. Its the way the world works get with the script. That nigga has been brainwashed let him live his pointless life
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 5:23am On Aug 15, 2014
leorayvon:

Its because of what this pounds of flesh called preachers do, if u understand that some of them were never chosen by God then u will ask God to show u the truth, God is true and real. Have u wondered who services the sun, why hv the so called scientist not bEen able to get so close to the sun? Do u know its maker? Do u knw there are 600 angels paddling the course of the sun? My dear God is true and alive,
Face palm . No pls don't, just don't. Naija has a long way to go ohhh grin

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 6:07am On Aug 15, 2014
Proffdada:

Mary wasn't defiled when she conceived,she was pure n clean
grin grin
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 6:19am On Aug 15, 2014
Kafprofiler: All d naturalists n scientists in the house abeg i want to ask some questions o 'u say u bliv in evolution abi okay man don bcom since so many years ago wat has man evloved to /changed to ?una don hear say dem born any pikin wey him dna dey different from normal human being own? Wit d current age of tech we get nw we suppose fit predict our next stage of evolution nw abeg shey we go get wings so we cn fly ?u knw following evolution theory we moved from sea to land ,wer we dey move to now se na air or space or we go go bck to sea?since we evolved shey we suppose chop banana because banana dna resemble our own by 50 percent those wey dey chop chimpanzee na una brother una dey chop so o 99 percent dna resemblance no b beans o. answers please na beg i beg o abi science or nature neva evolve reach al dis place dem?
cheesy grin
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 6:22am On Aug 15, 2014
Proffdada:

yet again your ignorance precedes you most inventions and inventors originates from studying the bible. technological advances are made everyday by inspirations from the scriptures
psudo intelectual at best grin
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by 1ord: 6:25am On Aug 15, 2014
onitshaigbo: God curse this dammd oyibo! This one knows he is going straight to the deepest pits of hell, but he wants to drag as many with him as possible!

Who put this filth on NL? Your doing the oyibo's bidding against the blackman. Don't you know that the only hope for Africa and the blackman is the Gospel and the Blood of Jesus? When we were ignorant of His Holy Grace, we were easily overcome by the oyibos who subjugated and colonised us, even to this day! The only way we can free ourselves is through following in Christ, being His Church and His Body.

To propagate Atheist writings is tantamount to aid the oyibos in enslaving the blackman spiritually! The oyibos have also tried to introduce homosexuality into Africa, but so far the force of God has kept them out.

No Atheist can be a loyal African. To them, the Science of the wicked oyibos is their god and they will worship what the oyibo scientists say.
Yet the God that love Africa leaves its people to walllow in abject poverty and die like flies.They have very little motive against blacks. The are more concerned with maintaining their vast wealth, great health care and superb living standards
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Orikinla(m): 10:10am On Aug 15, 2014
[size=14pt]'I've Found God' Says Man Who Cracked Genome
Collins was an atheist until the age of 27, when as a young doctor he was impressed by the strength that faith gave to some of his most critical patients.[/size]

~ By Steven Swinford
The Sunday Times
6-11-6

THE scientist who led the team that cracked the human genome is to publish a book explaining why he now believes in the existence of God and is convinced that miracles are real.

Francis Collins, the director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute, claims there is a rational basis for a creator and that scientific discoveries bring man "closer to God".

His book, The Language of God, to be published in September, will reopen the age-old debate about the relationship between science and faith. "One of the great tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war," said Collins, 56.

"I don't see that as necessary at all and I think it is deeply disappointing that the shrill voices that occupy the extremes of this spectrum have dominated the stage for the past 20 years."

For Collins, unravelling the human genome did not create a conflict in his mind. Instead, it allowed him to "glimpse at the workings of God".

"When you make a breakthrough it is a moment of scientific exhilaration because you have been on this search and seem to have found it," he said. "But it is also a moment where I at least feel closeness to the creator in the sense of having now perceived something that no human knew before but God knew all along.

"When you have for the first time in front of you this 3.1 billion-letter instruction book that conveys all kinds of information and all kinds of mystery about humankind, you can't survey that going through page after page without a sense of awe. I can't help but look at those pages and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind."

Collins joins a line of scientists whose research deepened their belief in God. Isaac Newton, whose discovery of the laws of gravity reshaped our understanding of the universe, said: "This most beautiful system could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful being."

Although Einstein revolutionised our thinking about time, gravity and the conversion of matter to energy, he believed the universe had a creator. "I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details," he said. However Galileo was famously questioned by the inquisition and put on trial in 1633 for the "heresy" of claiming that the earth moved around the sun.

Among Collins's most controversial beliefs is that of "theistic evolution", which claims natural selection is the tool that God chose to create man. In his version of the theory, he argues that man will not evolve further.

"I see God's hand at work through the mechanism of evolution. If God chose to create human beings in his image and decided that the mechanism of evolution was an elegant way to accomplish that goal, who are we to say that is not the way," he says.

"Scientifically, the forces of evolution by natural selection have been profoundly affected for humankind by the changes in culture and environment and the expansion of the human species to 6 billion members. So what you see is pretty much what you get."

Collins was an atheist until the age of 27, when as a young doctor he was impressed by the strength that faith gave to some of his most critical patients.

"They had terrible diseases from which they were probably not going to escape, and yet instead of railing at God they seemed to lean on their faith as a source of great comfort and reassurance," he said. "That was interesting, puzzling and unsettling."

He decided to visit a Methodist minister and was given a copy of C S Lewis's Mere Christianity, which argues that God is a rational possibility. The book transformed his life. "It was an argument I was not prepared to hear," he said. "I was very happy with the idea that God didn't exist, and had no interest in me. And yet at the same time, I could not turn away."

His epiphany came when he went hiking through the Cascade Mountains in Washington state. He said: "It was a beautiful afternoon and suddenly the remarkable beauty of creation around me was so overwhelming, I felt, 'I cannot resist this another moment'."

Collins believes that science cannot be used to refute the existence of God because it is confined to the "natural" world. In this light he believes miracles are a real possibility. "If one is willing to accept the existence of God or some supernatural force outside nature then it is not a logical problem to admit that, occasionally, a supernatural force might stage an invasion," he says.

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2014
@ orikinla ...

Collins believes that science cannot be used to
refute the existence of God because it is
confined to the "natural" world. In this light he
believes miracles are a real possibility. "If one
is willing to accept the existence of God or
some supernatural force outside nature then it
is not a logical problem to admit that,
occasionally, a supernatural force might stage
an invasion," he says.

Gbam!@ orikinla ...

an invasion," he says.

Gbam!
@ orikinla ...

an invasion," he says.

Gbam!
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by uzoexcel(m): 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2014

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Charlesdock(m): 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2015
Satan has won! No he failed to Stop Jesus' death on the cross. I read like half of what he said, I for once was an agnotic i will pray, ask to know God but no answer until i had a revelation of him. THERE IS GOD! Don't believe it or say am been deceive but i know and have proofs that there is a supreme being. He was not really a christian. Being born into Christian home does make you a christian.
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by electroTech: 1:13am On Nov 26, 2017
Interesting

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome Meets Benny Hinn For The First Time At #MHIS / Adeboye Visits The Family Eunice Olawale Who Was Murdered While Preaching / Jide Macaulay, Nigerian Gay Pastor Writes Letter To Homophobes With Bible Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.