Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,818 members, 7,942,065 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 07:16 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26359 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 09, 2013
kettykin:

The problem is that people who really worked for peace like Mahatma Ghandi the apostle of peace were not given the prize leaving people wondering the Gross Criteria used in selecting whom to give and not give and the Glaring discrepancy of leaving off the most qualified candidates

Mahatma Ghandi apostle of peace? Same Ghandi that murdered Zulus by the thousands? Apostle of peace? Na wa oo...
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 1:31am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
Igbos are ably represented in the field of literature, as far back as the 16th century, take a look at olaudah equiano, first african writer of the industrial/modern age and dogged abolitionist....proudly igbo! Caustical, go and lick caustic soda!

I told U that that man was not an Igbo man, because a nicomp.oop like U wrote something in wikipedia doesn't mean is true but if U are hell bent on making that man one of U, can U tell me the meaning of Olaudah equiano in your language?

For your information I just need to let U know about Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African Anglican bishop in Nigeria and the first person that translated an english bible into a native west african language. He translated English bible into yoruba language and made the primer for your Igbo language. U ungrateful fellows
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 1:33am On Apr 09, 2013
eazzzy1: If u went to church this sunday or mosque this friday,lemme see your hand up.. grin

U can't blame me bro, I like bursting these Igbos balls grin grin grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:34am On Apr 09, 2013
Yes you are right caustical, cos your slavish tribe is On Your Own, OYO. We igbos helped you run your first generation universities namely U.I and UNILAG, by profs kenneth dike and eni njoku respectively....ingrates like you.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:41am On Apr 09, 2013
@caustical, shut up and read his autobiography. He himself said he is igbo from essaka(i.e isieke)....it okay if you are envying us already....oluuda ikwuano is how his name is pronounced loser, it's not a 20th century spelling.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 1:47am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
Yes you are right caustical, cos your slavish tribe is On Your Own, OYO. We igbos helped you run your first generation universities namely U.I and UNILAG, by profs kenneth dike and eni njoku respectively....ingrates like you.

That should show U f00l how accommodating we yorubas are. but what do U people used to pay us back? hatred and envy

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 1:54am On Apr 09, 2013
nwando: Ndi Ofe and their legacy

Interesting article
shocked shocked grin grin shocked shocked

http://www.igbofocus.co.uk/WHY_YORUBAS_ARE_NIGERIA-S_MOST/why_yorubas_are_nigeria-s_most_hateful_tribe.html
I call this RIP ndi ode cheesy
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:58am On Apr 09, 2013
@caustical, it's not about accomodating, it's about who the cap fits. By the way, by equiano's own account, he is igbo, are you the one to tell him his origin? His place of birth may be vague, but an educated man like equiano would never have an amnesia of his origin. Caustical, you are born loser, go to bed.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 2:05am On Apr 09, 2013
alj harem: You see, you all cannot counter my points other than insults and tribalistic slurs

Lie number 1 : Just like many icons in history which have been over-emphasised by their race, ethnicity and culture, likes of Ojukwu, Gadaffi, Bush are no different from Achebe rise to "unglorious glory" by his people aka Nigerians/Blacks. I liked Achebe and no matter what I say, those that would respect him would still do so.

Lie number 2 : Criticism would always come from those he defamed in his last book. Whether you like it or not Achebe's name would some disappear as he had no record set neither did he do anything worth emulating or remembering that likes of other non-bigoted writers don't have.

Foreign Journalism : All they did is pay respect to a man like Micheal Jackson who would rather associate with other countries than his fellow people. Question why was Achebe in America not Africa ? Do you think likes of Mandela would be respect by blacks if he ran to UK rather than stay in SA ?

Lastly, again what is the point of all the respect and "adoration" if he cannot use his power and influence to help those with no voice.

Look in as much Emeaguali is a fraud, I would always respect him more than Achebe. Take it or leave it and anyone that know the history and life style of the 2 would do the same.

1.) For someone to be giving that title, he or she must have proved to others he's worth and if the entire Africa disagreed with that concept, like they do with the "nigerian is the giant of africa", they would have condemned and put it down rather than uplifting it like they do till date. A BIG HUGE AND UNDENIABLE FACT. If you don't understand why he reached that feat, open a damn book and read. Ewu. Now tell me what is it you've done that should be praised at all? what have you done with your miserable life? I don dey wait.

2.) What kind of stup1d claim is this? Criticism should only come from those he defamed from his book? is that what you are saying? Is that what they thought in your literature course? Dude did a maggot eat up your entire brain? If a writer is bad or terrible, his work would be condemned by EVERYONE. There is no if, and, or, but about that. Like I said, if we start comparing, Nigg@ you know you'll lose so quit now.

3.) Foreign journalism only pay respect to the man just to respect him. Someone please lend this man some sense. ROFLMFAO. Micheal Jackson was praised because, just like Achebe, his work received all over the world. see this nigg@ now hating on micheal jackson too. dude stop hating on those that achieved more than you. It is not there fault that while they were working, you were lazing about. Stop being a hater!! Anyway back to what I was saying, He left Nigeria because the corruption in Nigeria, which your people were the major culprit behind such corruption, caused him his legs. While at the same time, the f2ked up nation did not fix the problem that caused him his legs and does not provide the necessary survival skills he needed ever since the accident such as physical therapy, physical rehab most cripples need. Moronic fool

As I told you before go around and ask why the literary writers of Africa including some of the well respected politicians love this man. Read the african series and learn what and how he used his words and fame to promote other not so recognized African writer. The only way he has to fight for Africa is risking his life in that death trap called Nigeria according to you abi? Oya now, become a cripple and wheel yourself around all over Nigeria. Heck even now that you have your two feet, have you done anything to benefit anyone be it African or Nigerian wise. Lay stay wishing you've had some relevance in the world and hating on those that achieved more and had more more relevance than you'll ever do in your entire lifetime even if you are re-born multiple times like your multiple Ids

8 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 2:10am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@caustical, it's not about accomodating, it's about who the cap fits. By the way, by equiano's own account, he is igbo, are you the one to tell him his origin? His place of birth may be vague, but an educated man like equiano would never have an amnesia of his origin. Caustical, you are born loser, go to bed.

U are the loser nimcompoo.p, U have to go as far as equiano in 1745 even though his origin was not confirmed that is pathetic bro.......... read this excerpt from wikipedia to confirm uncertainty of his origin

Controversy of his origin

Scholars have disagreed about Equiano's origins. Some believe he may have fabricated his African roots and his survival of the Middle Passage not only to sell more copies of his book but also to help advance the movement against the slave trade. According to Vincent Carretta,

Equiano was certainly African by descent. The circumstantial evidence that Equiano was also African American by birth and African British by choice is compelling but not absolutely conclusive. Although the circumstantial evidence is not equivalent to proof, anyone dealing with Equiano's life and art must consider it.[4]

Baptismal records and a naval muster roll appear to link Equiano to South Carolina. Records of Equiano's first voyage to the Arctic state he was from Carolina, not Africa.[13] Equiano may have been the source for information linking him to Carolina, but it may also have been a clerk's careless record of origin. Scholars continue to search for evidence to substantiate Equiano's claim of birth in Africa. Currently, no separate documentation supports this story. Carretta holds that Equiano was born in South Carolina, based on the documents mentioned above.[14]

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by caustical: 2:13am On Apr 09, 2013
I won't be surprised if Igbos in an effort to claim familiarity with achievement claim that Django was an Igbo man grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 2:20am On Apr 09, 2013
Chinua Achebe on Sam Omatseye's piece:

“If you don't like someone's story, write your own.” - Chinua Achebe

Meaning: those of you trying to critique Omatseye guy should write to your piece... Mr. Omatseye is entitled to his own opinions..
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:31am On Apr 09, 2013
Still, ko si Nobel..
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:32am On Apr 09, 2013
Still, ko si Nobel.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 2:33am On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

Unfortunately for you and ashebe, things don't work that way. This is what you get when you lie, display hate, bigotry and division, you get called out and slapped around.

My comment was directed to those attacking Sam Omatseye for airing his views - the man is entitled to his opinions... If they don't like it, they should write their own... undecided
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:36am On Apr 09, 2013
shymexx:

My comment was directed to those attacking Sam Omatseye for airing his views - the man is entitled to his opinions... If they don't like it, they should write their own... undecided

Post edited. Many apologies.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by GalaxyNoteII: 2:39am On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

Awwwwwww very sweet grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by GalaxyNoteII: 2:39am On Apr 09, 2013
Hilarious thread btw
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 2:40am On Apr 09, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:
Hilarious thread btw

Ekiti warrior with a batty as fat as galaxy note 2.. grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 2:40am On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

No probs, bro..
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by GalaxyNoteII: 2:42am On Apr 09, 2013
Shymmex, focus on the thread jor.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Spinshark(m): 2:52am On Apr 09, 2013
If Achebe's works were rubbish, I loved it all the way and so did millions of people.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Doluseun(m): 2:56am On Apr 09, 2013
sam omatseye is a fool!

though i didnt subscribe to the thought that achebe is good than soyinka because his book things fall apart sold more than soyinka's any book and that he's well reverred.
but comparing achebe to soyinka is like comparing david beckham to lionel messi.

david beckham brand sells alot in football world, but he's not as talented as lionel messi,the award speaks volume of that.

chinua achebe, nobel award = none.

wole soyinka, nobel award = yes.

so thats what makes a difference.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 3:21am On Apr 09, 2013
[img]http://nigeriancompatriot..com/2012/11/jsa-lasuaasoc-hails-sam-omatseye.html[/img]

Sam Omatseye

Winner of the 2009 and 2010 edition of Diamond Award For Media Excellence (Informed Commentary)

Two-time Winner of Nigeria Media Merit Award

The inaugural winner of the Gordon Fisher Fellowship for Journalists in the British Commonwealth.

The Alfred Friendly Press fellowship Sam Omatseye, 1997, hosted by Denver Rocky Mountain News for the Association of Black Journalists in Colorado, USA

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by hardniola(m): 3:49am On Apr 09, 2013
omotseye is either itsekiri or benin
how come is attacking ashebe.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 4:28am On Apr 09, 2013
See as this ingrates dey run their mouth.
After teaching your forefathers how to read and write in their native language.
Nobel no dey.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 4:30am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
You called Yorubas ingrates?
After teaching your forefathers how to read and write in igbo language you still have the audacity to run your mouth. Thunder fire you.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 4:42am On Apr 09, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@caustical, shut up and read his autobiography. He himself said he is igbo from essaka(i.e isieke)....it okay if you are envying us already....oluuda ikwuano is how his name is pronounced loser, it's not a 20th century spelling.

Olaudah most likely made up the story of his even being a slave, to talk less of being Igbo. Ive posted something about this in the past.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 5:19am On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

[img]http://nigeriancompatriot..com/2012/11/jsa-lasuaasoc-hails-sam-omatseye.html[/img]

Sam Omatseye

All those irrelevant awards were bought by Tinubu for Sam for a good job at being his toothless bulldog

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:36am On Apr 09, 2013
^^^^^^^ lol @ Tinubu lover boy.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EkoIle1: 5:37am On Apr 09, 2013
Still, ko si Nobel.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 09, 2013
Look at this stupid ofe.mmanu they call Sam Omatseye. While the great Iroko of Igboland was exposing the evils of colonialism Perpetrated by the West, Wole Soyinka was busy glorifying the West writing in big grammar that makes no sense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Buhari, Your Change Is Causing Despondency – Okogie / Uche Nwosu: Okorocha's son in-law regains freedom from Police Custody / APC Presidential Primary: Tinubu, Ganduje Visit Obong Of Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.