Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,818 members, 7,942,065 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 07:17 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26359 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 9:28am On Apr 09, 2013
@tolexander, i had just finished primary two when he was buried, if that answers your question, but hey, thank God for documented history. African politicians like mandela, selassie, etc transcends their home country, their works are beyond their countries, unlike awolowo the ethnic champion. Perhaps you have heard the ideology called Zikism, coined from zik of africa. Find out what the western world says about it....loser.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by nedu666: 9:30am On Apr 09, 2013
JOBLESS BASTARDS ALL OF U ON THIS THREAD. GO GET A JOB, FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO WITH UR LIFE. STOP ARGUEING BACK AND FORTH IT ADDS NOTHING POSITIVE TO U OTHER THAN TAKE UR TIME AND MAKE U LOOK STUPID. IF U MUST CONTRIBUTE GO TO OTHER SECTIONS ON THIS FORUM. HABA, SOME OF YOU HAVE NEVER MADE A COMMENT ON BUSINESS SECTION, INVESTMENT, SPORTS. VISIT OTHER FORUM LIKE STOCKMARKETNIGERIA AND INTERRACT WITH MATURED CONTRIBUTORS BUT I GUESS SINCE INSULTS ARE NOT ALLOWED YA ALL SHOULD STICK TO NAIRALAND WHERE U CAN INSULT AND PLACE CURSES ON YOURSELF

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:30am On Apr 09, 2013
Ola Johnson: Leaders of Igbo that are alive should tell their people the truth about the 1966 crisis and the civil war. Instead of Chinua Achebe to tell his people the truth especially in his only non-fiction, There Was A Country, apart from The Trouble With Nigeria, he ended up lying against Obafemi Awolowo. If "Biafra" had done what Awolowo was accused of Achebe wouldn't have seen anything wrong in it. Is it not rather a slap on Achebe's face that the same Awolowo he accused was described by his (Achebe) oga at the top, Emeka Ojukwu, as being the best President Nigeria never had. What is in play here, even as people (some of the Igbo) have had their brains blocked by tribal bigotry is bringing the saying, "what goes round comes around." :Achebe accused the late Awolowo; the late Achebe is now, with facts, being accused by not just a poet, a journalist but also a 1984 product of History, Unife (now OAU), Omatseye Oritsetimehin Sam. I dey laugh. Eni ba n binu ko lo ko s'omi ta bi ko lo bo s'enu railway.

You are really dumb! When your rat poison loving sage was alive, he accepted to using starvation as a tactics and also to championing the "20 pounds" ish. So what exactly are you blaming Achebe for? for daring to say the truth? Now we dont have any issues with losing the war because all is fair in war, but why are you guys ashamed of your god's actions to the point of denial? even when Awolowo himself didnt deny it.Your tribe is a sickening tribe, i spit on you guys!

7 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Parnassuss(m): 9:40am On Apr 09, 2013
To the best of my knowledge, Wole Soyinka and Achebe had a deep and profound appreciation and respect for each other and their works. They are contemporaries in greatness and I would expect some student in SS3 to compare them not a man of Sam's caliber. They wrote differently and had different pursuits. I wonder why Alexander Pope and William Shakespeare aren't compared like this...

Anyway, if Sam really feels that kicking a dead man will bring him happiness and satisfaction, I can only watch and shake my head. You are better this Mr Omatseye

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

You sound like the tru son of angry and bitter zero Nobel ashebe... ndo
Onye ara Ofe.mmanu, you sound like your stu.pid "hero" thief called Awolowo who stole the money(millions of pounds) that belong to the Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 9:41am On Apr 09, 2013
@ola johnson, what have we in NL been doing since? Singing? Your brain is amala true-true.... Soyinka is great no doubt, and i cant be jealous of him, he is not a bigot like you. By the way, who says shakespeare is a nobel guy? Just as he a father figure in european literature, that is how achebe is to african literature, go chop grass...anuofia like you

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:42am On Apr 09, 2013
Parnassuss: To the best of my knowledge, Wole Soyinka and Achebe had a deep and profound appreciation and respect for each other and their works. They are contemporaries in greatness and I would expect some student in SS3 to compare them not a man of Sam's caliber. They wrote differently and had different pursuits. I wonder why Alexander Pope and William Shakespeare aren't compared like this...

Anyway, if Sam really feels that kicking a dead man will bring him happiness and satisfaction, I can only watch and shake my head. You are better this Mr Omatseye

Its the Yoruba "pull him down" blood in him. So pathetic!

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:44am On Apr 09, 2013
Please all the Yorubas in the house, Am still waiting for someone to tell me how Nelly is a better Lyricist or Artiste than Nas! DAYOKUNU,EKO ILE and co....am waiting! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by phantom(m): 9:50am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost: Please all the Yorubas in the house, Am still waiting for someone to tell me how Nelly is a better Lyricist or Artiste than Nas! DAYOKUNU,EKO ILE and co....am waiting! grin grin grin grin grin
you might need to go pull someone from the music section.these guys go dull you.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 9:51am On Apr 09, 2013
phantom: you might need to go pull someone from the music section.these guys go dull you.

Abi? I just want the dolts to see the the stupidity in their argument! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 9:56am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

Am asking you sir, since winning an award now equates being the best in your field! Do you now see how foolish your people's argument is?
you are just billions of aeronautical miles out of the point.
The argument about winning a nobel prize in ones field such as literature considers your dexterity with all the elements of literature.
While winning a grammy also entails your dexterity with elements of music such as vocal dexterity, lyrics, sound system, bla bla bla . . even ones attitude.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 9:56am On Apr 09, 2013
phantom: you obviously have no idea of hiphop so i ll forgive you.@slimghost ...this might pose a problem for you.he doesnt even know hiphop talk more of what your trying to make him see.i suggest you drop your standard a bit.if possible draw pictures for him.
what is this stray goat?

Is only hip pop genre of music?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 10:02am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost: Please all the Yorubas in the house, Am still waiting for someone to tell me how Nelly is a better Lyricist or Artiste than Nas! DAYOKUNU,EKO ILE and co....am waiting! grin grin grin grin grin
stop demonstrating ignorance. Music is not all about lyrics.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 10:04am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: you are just billions of aeronautical miles out of the point.
The argument about winning a nobel prize in ones field such as literature considers your dexterity with all the elements of literature.
While winning a grammy also entails your dexterity with elements of music such as vocal dexterity, lyrics, sound system, bla bla bla . . even ones attitude.

Shut it, Mr Ignoramus. Nobody gives you a grammy for your sound system as an artiste (that goes to the producer). What matters is Lyrical content,general performance of a song or an album, e.t.c. Now, Since you guys are trying to opine that since Soyinka won a Nobel prize and Achebe didnt, he is now better than Achebe. Wont it be appropriate to say that since Nelly has won a Grammy and Nas hasn't, that he is better than Nas?

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 10:06am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander: stop demonstrating ignorance. Music is not all about lyrics.

Sure its not, but i know Nelly is not a "classical" musician. He is a HIP HOP artiste and HIP HOP is all about Lyrics. Stop embarrassing yourself sir!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Mrfemi1: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2013
this new argument na all time low lool
slimghost:

Sure its not, but i know Nelly is not a "classical" musician. He is a HIP HOP artiste and HIP HOP is all about Lyrics. Stop embarrassing yourself sir!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by kettykin: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2013
Achebe's book is in the first 50 most read books in the world

Soyinka's book is not in the first 5000 most read books in the world

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:16am On Apr 09, 2013
To all anti-achebes and anti-igbos, any questions? If none, case closed.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by alexchiny: 10:19am On Apr 09, 2013
Mr femi: this new argument na all time low lool

Actually, your ofe.mmanu brain wont be able to get the point! SMH
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by alexchiny: 10:19am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

please tell the ignorant ofe.mmanu
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ckkris: 10:22am On Apr 09, 2013
hardniola: omotseye is either itsekiri or benin
how come is attacking ashebe.
Ishekiri is a sub-tribe of Yoruba.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by alexchiny: 10:25am On Apr 09, 2013
Things Fall Apart is a milestone in African literature. It has come to be seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English,[2][5] and is read in Nigeria and throughout Africa. Of all of Achebe's works, Things Fall Apart is the one read most often, and has generated the most critical response, examination, and literary criticism. It is studied widely in Europe and North America, where it has spawned numerous secondary and tertiary analytical works. It has achieved similar status and repute in India, Australia and Oceania.[2] Considered Achebe's magnum opus, it has sold more than 8 million copies worldwide.[28] Time Magazine included the novel in its TIME 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005.[29] The novel has been translated into more than fifty languages, and is often used in literature, world history, and African studies courses across the world.

Achebe is now considered to be the essential novelist on African identity, nationalism, and decolonization. Achebe's main focus has been cultural ambiguity and contestation. The complexity of novels such as Things Fall Apart depends on Achebe's ability to bring competing cultural systems and their languages to the same level of representation, dialogue, and contestation.[5

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ckkris: 10:28am On Apr 09, 2013
kingoflag:

Olaudah most likely made up the story of his even being a slave, to talk less of being Igbo. Ive posted something about this in the past.
Source please!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 10:43am On Apr 09, 2013
Mr femi: this new argument na all time low lool

Amala brain! How would you get the point? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 10:49am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

elements of hip hop from wikipaedia

It is characterized
by four distinct
elements, all of which
represent the different
manifestations of the
culture: rap music
(aural), turntablism or
"DJing" (aural), breaking
(physical) and graffiti
art (visual)
. Despite their
contrasting methods of
execution,

Had you been into music, you would understand what am saying and stopped this argumentun ad ignorantium.
Watch programs like project fame and co to know somethings about music.
It is always stressfull arguing with the laymen cos it only takes the professionals to understand the terms.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ckkris: 10:52am On Apr 09, 2013
caustical:

Did I hear U say Okonjo iweala.....that idi.ot that is dragging GEJ and Nigeria into world bank and IMF the loan Nigeria will be paying in the next 30 years
Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is solving the problems of capital flight, created when Awolowo stole foreign-owned manufacturing companies, in 1973, as ABANDONED PROPERTIES, and distributed them to his Yoruba cronies, (not all Yoruba please), and in only ten years, 1983, all those stolen manufacturing companies became bankrupt, and therefore limited Govt Revenue to oil income only. Some of those companies have relocated to Ghana. Ngozi has succeeded in reversing this trend by attracting verifiable Foreign Direct Investments,(FDI), beginning with NEPA, which was the most corrupt OGBONI intitution in Nigeria, that held back manufacturing, welding, hair-dressing, etc.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:04am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander:

Had you been into music, you would understand what am saying and stopped this argumentun ad ignorantium.
It is always stressfull arguing with the laymen cos it only takes the professionals to understand the terms.

WTF is this? I have been into music way back before you listened to your first HIP-HOP song. What exactly are you trying to prove by yanking that ish off Wiki? I have told you to use your own standard of a good music of musician to answer my question, but because you lack the basic knowledge of MUSIC, you ran off to Wiki to yank off some senseless lines. Am done with you sir!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 11:07am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

Shut it, Mr Ignoramus. Nobody gives you a grammy for your sound system as an artiste (that goes to the producer). What matters is Lyrical content,general performance of a song or an album, e.t.c. Now, Since you guys are trying to opine that since Soyinka won a Nobel prize and Achebe didnt, he is now better than Achebe. Wont it be appropriate to say that since Nelly has won a Grammy and Nas hasn't, that he is better than Nas?
stop exhibiting ignorance! So sound system is not also part of music.
Why are you so unstable.
You said a 'better lyricst' and not musician.
Stand on your ground and stop messing around.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:09am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander:

So project depicts good musical knowledge? DAMN IT! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Mr Ignoramus, Project Fame is a talent reality show which the judges have their own criteria of judging the winner. We are discussing a HIP-HOP artiste winning a GRAMMY. Whats the co-relation? You obviously know nothing about music!

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 11:10am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

WTF is this? I have been into music way back before you listened to your first HIP-HOP song. What exactly are you trying to prove by yanking that ish off Wiki? I have told you to use your own standard of a good music of musician to answer my question, but because you lack the basic knowledge of MUSIC, you ran off to Wiki to yank off some senseless lines. Am done with you sir!
you are too unprofessional for me to handle.
You said better lyricist and i asked you if music is all about lyrics before jumping about.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 11:13am On Apr 09, 2013
Tolexander:
you are too unprofessional for me to handle.
You said better lyricist and i asked you if music is all about lyrics before jumping about.

I replied you that music is not all about Lyrics but that the particular genre we are discussing is. HIP-HOP is 90 percent all about lyrical content.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 11:15am On Apr 09, 2013
slimghost:

So project depicts good musical knowledge? DAMN IT! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Mr Ignoramus, Project Fame is a talent reality show which the judges have their own criteria of judging the winner. We are discussing a HIP-HOP artiste winning a GRAMMY. Whats the co-relation? You obviously know nothing about music!
you have problems with basic argument.
Cited project fame, just to let you know you need learning some things about their professional judges invited to make comments on their observations on some talents that are in the competitions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Buhari, Your Change Is Causing Despondency – Okogie / Uche Nwosu: Okorocha's son in-law regains freedom from Police Custody / APC Presidential Primary: Tinubu, Ganduje Visit Obong Of Calabar

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.