Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,347 members, 7,971,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 05:50 AM

iPhone Killer Apps Section!! - Phones (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / iPhone Killer Apps Section!! (180822 Views)

11 Killer Android Features You Aren’t Using. / Best Apps And Explict Games For Android Users (ANDROID KILLER APPS) / iPhone Killer Apps 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (103) (Go Down)

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by flyuche(m): 7:43am On Jun 23, 2009
@Ex. i see you spare no effort in "educating" my friend Cabali. wink nice job you guys are doing here. this is the only thread worthy of my attention in the phone section right now.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 23, 2009
You've gotta love this am starting to believe Apple is now a religion.Apple fans from engadget and wired suggest that they don't want flash on thier iphone.Flash is 98% used by the world while 2% leads to iphone users.Either those comments were made by apple employees or someone has been bowing down 5x to apple idol.Btw ex those are cool pix of winmo 6 how does the os fair.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 9:31am On Jun 23, 2009
ultrasn0w is out. you can now unlock all your 3Gs.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lungwun(m): 9:50am On Jun 23, 2009
yep it is! now, where is my lebara sim?
Update,
searching for service on lebara. lets give it some time
yes, we on it!
proof of life!

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Dentale(f): 8:15pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hi Guys, Ex-Inferis,

Howdy? I need help again with my phone.

First, it has suddenly stopped detecting wifi networks. And when it does, I get an error message saying "Cannot join, network"

Secondly, I would like to upgrade to the 3.0 firmware or at least the 2.2. I am currently running 2.1.(It's a 3G)

Could you please take me through a step by step process on how to achieve this? The phone is unlocked and jail broken so I would need to repeat the process after the upgrade, I presume. Also, I'ld appreciate it if you could tell me how to back up all my stuff (contacts, media and apps) just in case it all goes wrong according to Murphy's law.

Thanks,
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2009
@pcguru

flash, as you are well aware, is eyecandy on the web. its not something essential like, say, javascript. the main reason apple did not implement it (just like palm with the palm pre) is because its prone to crashing mobile browsers particularly ones running the webkit engine. very few mobile browsers support flash because mobile browsers do not aim to supplant desktop browsers. even the very few that do support flash are either buggy or slow; point proved with SkyFire.

and you cant sandbox it like you can applets.

@Dentale

if the problem persists with just one network, try going to Settings>WiFi, tap the arrow icon beside the wayward network, click "Forget This Network", retry connecting. these things happen.

as for upgrading to 3.0, download the update from the link i gave Doyn1 in the previous page, also grab Redsn0w from the link of the same page. go through the process you did before when upgrading to 2.1 (i.e shift, select Update). when done, run resn0w and follow the instructions just like you did with Quickpwn.
now connect to a wifi network, go to Cydia or Icy, go to sources, add the follwoing: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com. search for Ultrasn0w within Cydia/Icy, install.

place your sim, reboot. you'll find all your data is intact because you did an UPDATE, not a RESTORE. if however you feel better backing up before you start, connect your phone to your pc, open itunes, right-click the iphone icon on the left sidebar, select Backup.
when you're done, restore from the backup when setting up the iphone.

then go back to Cydia/Icy, add the following source: http://cydia.hackulo.us. go to Hackulo in the Sections tab, install Appsync, reboot. install one free legit app and then sync all your cracked warez.

you've done an upgrade before, so this shouldnt be any difficult
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2009
@lungwun
Did your update keep your game progress intact? I don't wanna lose my progress in Puzzle Quest sad

Answer quickly, my man! The fate of the free world depends on thee!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Doyn1(m): 11:12pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hey guys, Just wanting to ask you experts, Is it adviceable to get an Iphone 3G that has been unlocked from the source and can work with any sim but not jailbroken? I'm looking to pick up one tommorow since my Iphone 2G has started messing up,
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by blinx4real(m): 7:42am On Jun 24, 2009
Kudos to the Dev-Team, Redsn0w works like Magic, Ultrasn0w works like hmmmm super magic.
I jailbreak my iPhone 3G 2.2.1 with 6.02 bootloader that has been giving me issue, now works with all sim cards.
The procedure is quite simple - Upgrade to 3.0 - jailbreak with redsn0w - unlock with ultrasn0w via cydia and voila you are LIVE.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by mendax: 12:43pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ex, logica

pls, it seems i'm goin 2 need ur help again.
i updated to 2.2.1 frm 1.x abt 2 wks ago. but i just realised dat for d past 3days my ifone has not really been detectin wifi n/wks even though my laptop has. and after i completed d jailbrk & unlock, i knew i culd stil use my wifi.

sumthin i noticed though since afta d update (which wasnt displayin b4) is a "small round blue/white" icon beside my carrier n/wk (glo) & i dont know wat dat is.
so pls any idea wat went wrong wit my wifi? thanx guys

@ex, i know dis may not b d right forum, but i remember in one of ur earlier posts u mentioned sumthin abt d use of orbitdownloader. i installed orbit yesterday tryin 2 initiate my 3.0 OS download & i noticed anytym i switch off my sys, it looses memory of all it has downloaded previously, even though i ha checked automtic resume. any ideas?
thanx
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 2:40pm On Jun 24, 2009
@Mendax

laptop wifi radios are stronger than the stuff you find in mobile phones. however that doesnt mean your phone isnt faulty (could be software glitch, could be hardware).

try updating to a newer OS.

the small blue and white icon denotes EDGE connectivity, though on 3.0 you get an "E" icon.

as for Orbit, ive never had that problem, but probably the existence of a prior download manager can create issues. uninstall all DMs and reinstall Orbit. for me at leats, its the best DM out there.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by arsenal4va(m): 7:55pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ tex

it stored my game progress for all my games , but do not have puzzle quest , but dont see why it shud be any different

has anybody sent mms with 3.0 ?

cant seem to get the right settings for MTN
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by mendax: 9:32pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ex,

ok, thanx. its true i hav other download managers installed. i'll try dat later cos right now i hav gone like 40+% already downloadin OS3.0,
as for d edge icon, it was d same 'E' icon i used 2 receiv wen using 1.x.x, so do u think they'll switch d edge icon just for 2.x firmwares? anyway dat doesnt really matter, will do all u adviced. thanx

P.S; sumthin i noticed wit dat blue/white circle icon. wen i dial a number it disappears til afta d call, is dat d same for d edge E icon? just a thot sha
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by mendax: 11:16pm On Jun 24, 2009
@all

is d 3.0 d software for ifone 3gs?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 12:08am On Jun 25, 2009
@Mendax

yes apple does change icons infact we're in the third change now. also, the icon disappears during calls simply because EDGE, like GPRS, isnt concurrent with GSM call streams, so it gets put on hold while you're on a call. 3G, however, (UMTS/HSPA, not WCDMA) can co-exist simultaneously with an ongoing call.

mendax:

@all

is d 3.0 d software for ifone 3gs?

no, all apple devices running iphone os x have a unique version of the 3.0 OS. the labeling schema is:

iphone1,1 for original iphone

iphone1,2 for 3G

ipod1,1 for original ipod touch

ipod1,2 for the 2nd gen ipod (also known as ipt2g)

iphone 2,1 for iphone 3GS

so if you see iphone2,1_3.0 7A341_Restore.ipsw, it means its 3.0 for iphone 3GS
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Ellyptical: 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2009
Hello TexazzPete,
I was looking at the first page of this post where you yabbed Nokia/SE/Samsung that they are iterations of the same thing. Someone told you to wait for the other newer phones from Apple iPhone before concluding and oh! The iPhone ia a worse iteration!
Too Bad!
iPhone = iPhone 3G = iPhone 3G S
No Major changes.
All the same, I raise my hands for apple for bringing the mobile UI revolution. Other manufacturers could not think out of the box like they did.

Thanks.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2009
Ellyptical:

Hello TexazzPete,
I was looking at the first page of this post where you yabbed Nokia/SE/Samsung that they are iterations of the same thing. Someone told you to wait for the other newer phones from Apple iPhone before concluding and oh! The iPhone ia a worse iteration!
Too Bad!
iPhone = iPhone 3G = iPhone 3G S
No Major changes.
All the same, I raise my hands for apple for bringing the mobile UI revolution. Other manufacturers could not think out of the box like they did.

Thanks.

i was thinking of ways i could respond without being offensive but i couldnt come up with one. im therefore letting your ignorance speak for itself.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by flyuche(m): 4:25pm On Jun 25, 2009
it's only in the US that the Iphone has generated maddening prelaunch buzz. It's only in the US people get dazzled, awed, bewildered and confused by a simple gadget like the Iphone. Do you know how many persons turned to buy the Iphone 3GS in Japan? One! grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 4:33pm On Jun 25, 2009
do you know how many people outside japan buy japan handsets? none! unfortunately for you, Fly, the iphone is big whereever it is found. the very markets apple expects to make a killing (europe, US, ME) the iphone is still a craze. in just 2 days of launch the phone has sold 1 million units. how many has the N97 sold so far? even the palm pre is yet to hi 500,000.

whether you hate or not, iphone is a phenomenon, and the launch of the 3GS further proves that so far no touchscreen smartphone upsets it in terms of cool or sales. not G1, not Omnia, not the various HTCs, not the nokia 5800 or the N97, not the Myphone, not the Instinct, not the storm, not the Pre, not the Dare, not the F480, nothing!!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by flyuche(m): 5:28pm On Jun 25, 2009
truth is apple care less about markets outside the usa. sales contribution from markets outside the usa can be considered insignificant to the  overall sales pie. i love this company sha. i only wish it will one day license it OS to other OEMs. that will put an end to microsoft dominance. imagine the snow leopard in my thinkpad T400.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 6:12pm On Jun 25, 2009
Microsoft licenses its OS mostly to networks, who then contract HTC to build the endless torrent of WinMo boxes we see. thank god for companies like HTC and samsung who design cool UIs to dress up the ugliness of winmo.

iphone is not perfect, but it does so many things intuitively you wonder how you ever lived without it.

however the item below, which attempst to hide its monotoniety with widgets (similar to the old WidSets we got in those days) still stinks. i traded the N95 and added some cash, but im calling the deal off. even the stylus is as big as a flash drive.

might as well get a Touch diamond 2 (the old one is broken) or a Touch HD soon as i get some cash, or some old rich uncle dies.

N97 sucks.

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lungwun(m): 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2009
Ex Inferis:

not the F480, nothing!!
hey hey hey! some of us still have the f480(tocco) somewhere! just cant remember where i dropped it

texazzpete:

@lungwun
Did your update keep your game progress intact? I don't wanna lose my progress in Puzzle Quest sad

Answer quickly, my man! The fate of the free world depends on thee!
mr texx, i hope the world has not ended? i was having home internet issues so i stayed off.
no, my game saves were intact. well, at least the NFSU, assasins creed and terminator salvation remained but the MGS touch went away
and i didnt really miss it cos boy is that game crap!

What exactly are Nokia fans doing on this thread? how dare they soil this thread with flimsy comparisms?
they should all go back to playing 3d snake!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2009
lungwun:

they should all go back to playing 3d snake!

snake has gone 3D? finally, nokia is making progress! grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 9:52am On Jun 26, 2009
iphone 3GS is jailbreakable, and vulnerable to Ultrasn0w.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lungwun(m): 9:59am On Jun 26, 2009
And the cat and mouse game continues. apple are sure as hell working on a 3.0.1
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by acurashop: 11:52am On Jun 26, 2009
Need Urgent help guys (@Ex-infernis??):

Few mths back, i started noticing that cydia was giving me more and more problems. Kept getting POSIX errors, Host Unreachable errors, Host timed out, Cached Failures etc whenever i would try to install ANYTHING on cydia. I even get "Bad URl or Cached Failure or No network connections while loading the cydia homepage. This was all back b4 i just now upgraded my 3g to 3.0.

Hoping that my cydia problems would come to an end, i upgraded to 3.0. Did everything perfectly well, got cell service. Everything worked except cydia KEPT giving those errors.

I tried re-jailbreaking with redsn0w 7.! but that didn't stop it. Tried with 7.2, same problem.

Tried redoing the restore via itunes 8.2 WITHOUT restoring from backup, same problem.

Just about the only thing i could download on cydia was ultrasn0w & thats cos its only about 7kb. Still gave me a bunch of the above errors in the process though.

Plus now with 3.0 i noticed cydia just exits out on its own alot.
NOTE, I did installed Icy with the jailbreak cos i heard it could cause cydia problems & kinda sucks. I just want to have a normal cydia like everyone else.

Im running my iphone off my laptop starcomms wireless internet thru wifi. I thought the problem could be from my home internet connection being mediocre (live in Imo State, no 3g or broadband yet ). But i get these errors even using EDGE or at hotspots in Lagos with fast internet service.

Ive barely slept. Btw this & finding out MJ is dead, I'm exhausted.
Any suggestions
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 26, 2009
I don't know which hurts much M.J's death or ex infernis diss on nokia snake.also 3gs seems to out perform other devices.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by LilLi: 1:53pm On Jun 26, 2009
hello guys
i have a problem here
i have an iPhone 2G its version or whatever was 1.14 and i have figuired out its time to upgrade and so
so i decided to download the iPhone1.1 3 restor.ispw and used redsnow 7.2 and bl3.9 and 4.6 to jailbreak and unlock it toghter using this tutorial:
http://mashingkeys.com/?p=6
i went successfully during the redsnow thing and when finished my iPhone after 5 min rebooted but it goes to recovery mode and shows this itunes icon and when i connect it to itunes it says that it needs to be restored but due to our countrys problem and proxy i cant download the restore and update directly from apple and restore my iphone what should i do? i have tried everything that came to my mind like just jaibreaking or using other versions of redsnow but it doesnt change just where am i going wrong? thnx if you would help me
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lungwun(m): 2:14pm On Jun 26, 2009
You already have the restore. since you downloaded the iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw, that is the same file
you use to restore. before restoring in itunes, hold down shift and click restore, select the aforementioned file and
restore your iphone with this file. when its done, jailbreak it all over again.
peace.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by mendax: 4:11pm On Jun 26, 2009
pls do u need 2b in DFU mode b4 u can update to 3.0, or not? i noticed d update to 2.2 required i was in DFU

thanx
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lungwun(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2009
to update via itunes to 3.0 does not require you to put the iphone in DFU mode.
just have the file and click the clickable.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (103)

Tecno M5 discussion thread / Glo Blackberry Plans On Phones And Other Devices / Leagoo M8/M8 Pro Discuss Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.