Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,959 members, 7,949,275 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 02:53 AM

Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops (29646 Views)

FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately / New PDP Loses Bid To Re-open Office / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Fuelish: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
[quote author=IYA NGBALI]see ghana wey their girls dey do ashewo work and their boys dey polish our shoes and other yeye work for naija in the 80s come dey take us do yanga now,no bé dem fault,na our leaders .GROW UP! U R STILL TALKING ABOUT D PAST?
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by ghboy: 2:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
some Nigerians can really be naive and ignorant. what shows Ghana's econony is crumbling? only problem is power shedding which is ending soon cos
1) the west african gas pipeline will be fixed soon. more gas to power our new thermal plants. besides Ghana will soon finish constructing our our pipeline from our new gas fields meaning should the pipeline damage or should Nigeria not supply us gas we still have gas to power our Tema and Takoradi power plants.
2) the Bui dam will be completed soon. some power from the dam will be supplied later this month.
3) Akosombo dam is also due expansion
Ghana will soon export the excess power to neighbouring countries. you can see us for some
Now back to the economy
1) Cocoa production increases tremendously to increasing world prices
2) more barrels of oil are drilled everyday to reach our maximum barrels per day target
3) we just recorded an all time figure in ounces of gold mined n revenue. add that to the fact that that figure will be beaten this year thanks to increasing gold prices on the world market.
4) Foreign investment coming in because of the stability and big market Ghana now is.
5) wonderful projects on-going.
6) financial stabily in terms of cedi depreciation and keeping inflation in single digits.

Ghana does have its challenges but to say the economy is crumbling is laughable. on what bases are some of you saying that? don't say what you don't know
if Ghana was so crumbling why are my fellow Nigerians trooping in by the day

7 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Nonybb: 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Mathew joseph: ok ghana is a coun3 in west africa,you can identify them with their colour,they are black like char coal,their women are ugly too even their men dnt knw hw to dress,u c dem wearing packet shirt nd plain trouser with canvass or trainers 2 go with,and when they want 2 eat they use boiled eggs instead of meat or fish in their soup,and also ghanaians do all forms of jobs like,shoe shiners,tailors that carries their sewing merchines on their heads,puff puff and burns sellers,stewards in hotels etc,ghana galz are also cheap 2 get,coz their cedis is worthless 2 our naira,if u go 2 ghana wit #50k u will be worshiped like their king,ashante nene of kumasi,my guy i hope u kan nw recognise a ghanaian if u c one!
Mathew joseph: ok ghana is a coun3 in west africa,you can identify them with their colour,they are black like char coal,their women are ugly too even their men dnt knw hw to dress,u c dem wearing packet shirt nd plain trouser with canvass or trainers 2 go with,and when they want 2 eat they use boiled eggs instead of meat or fish in their soup,and also ghanaians do all forms of jobs like,shoe shiners,tailors that carries their sewing merchines on their heads,puff puff and burns sellers,stewards in hotels etc,ghana galz are also cheap 2 get,coz their cedis is worthless 2 our naira,if u go 2 ghana wit #50k u will be worshiped like their king,ashante nene of kumasi,my guy i hope u kan nw recognise a ghanaian if u c one!
i think Ghana have managed to decimalized there currency. I had it was turning to zimbabwean currency thing and they had to do that ASAP
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Fuelish: 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2013
gboss4sure: We know how to handle ghana when they misbehaves.
like sending a minister 2 go n beg,huh? I dont think this truce will last.1st,because we r talking about a law,passed by GH parliament.also,there r many unresolved issues.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Nonybb: 2:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
ghboy: some Nigerians can really be naive and ignorant. what shows Ghana's econony is crumbling? only problem is power shedding which is ending soon cos
1) the west african gas pipeline will be fixed soon. more gas to power our new thermal plants. besides Ghana will soon finish constructing our our pipeline from our new gas fields meaning should the pipeline damage or should Nigeria not supply us gas we still have gas to power our Tema and Takoradi power plants.
2) the Bui dam will be completed soon. some power from the dam will be supplied later this month.
Ghana will soon export the excess power to neighbouring countries. you can see us for some
Now back to the economy
2) more barrels of oil are drilled everyday to reach our maximum barrels per day target
3) we just recorded an all time figure in ounces of gold mined n revenue. add that to the fact that that figure will be beaten this year thanks to increasing gold prices on the world market.
4) Foreign investment coming in because of the stability and big market Ghana now is.
6) financial stabily in terms of cedi depreciation and keeping inflation in single digits.

Ghana does have its challenges but to say the economy is crumbling is laughable. on what bases are some of you saying that? don't say what you don't know
i want to meet that guy trooping frm Nigeria to Ghana. I want u to give me his personal phone Number let me ask him one serious question... If i had a son and he called me to inform me of his intention to stay in Ghana i would think hes gone mad

4 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by imperiouxx(m): 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
boron10: Only a foolish Nigerian will go and continue his business in a place where future of the business is not guaranteed

They say if someone can't make it in Lagos and PH (Nigeria), that person can't make it elsewhere in West Africa. Let them suffer themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
Good move
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Fuelish: 3:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
[quote author=Nonybb] that guy trooping frm Nigeria to Ghana. I want u to give me his personal phone U R OBVIOUSLY VERY NAIVE N IGNORANT ABT WHAT'S HAPPENING.THERE R MORE THAN 2 MILLION NIGERIANS OFFICIALLY IN GHANA,N MORE R COMING EVERY DAY!

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by ministergh: 3:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
You insult a nation because their women would raher have a natural skin than nigeria where 77% of women have heir skin bleached. Check aljazeera on their indepth story on bleaching in nigeria....

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20134514845907984

you can read it below as well:

Nigeria's dangerous skin whitening obsession
Last updated: 6 April 2013

Nigeria has the world's highest percentage of women using skin lightening agents in the quest for "beauty".

Lagos, Nigeria - After carefully washing her face, legs and arms, Taiwo Solomon vigorously rubs cream over her body. She is meticulous and makes sure she covers her entire face. Soloman, 32, is bleaching her skin. She believes fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

This has been a daily routine for the past 15 years. Now several shades lighter she says her new skin makes her feel more beautiful and confident.

“Bleaching just makes me feel special, like am walking around in a spotlight,” she told Al Jazeera. “I am not seeking to be totally white, I just want to look beautiful. I cannot stop using the lightening agents,” she adds.

Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

In many parts of Africa, lighter-skinned women are considered more beautiful and are believed to be more successful and likely to find marriage.

It's not only women though who are obsessed with bleaching their skins. Some men too are involved in the practice.

Conceptions of beauty

Lightening creams are not effectively regulated in Nigeria where even roadside vendors sell tubes and plastic bags of powders and ointments from cardboard boxes stacked along sidewalks in market districts. Many of the tubes are unlabelled as to their actual ingredients.

"An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it. "

- Femi Kut, Nigerian Musician

In a market in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, business is booming for shops selling skin-lightening products. Both local and imported products line the shelves of Rashida Lawal’s cosmetics shop.

"About 90 percent of my clients come asking for skin whitening products," she told Al Jazeera. "I sell it to them and give advice on what product is best for them and how to use them."

She says most of her customers are in a great haste to lighten their skin.

“Taking the color of your skin to different colour has to be gradual. It's not something you decide one day that 'I want to be fair, I want to be like Michael Jackson and you become Michael Jackson all of a sudden'. That is why we have to advise them first before selling it to them” said Lawal.

Rashida and her staff also mix different ointments and creams for customers “depending on the desired level of lightness”.

Famous Nigerian Musician Femi Kuti says the use skin-lightening products have given rise to their own terminology.

“When the bleaching propaganda got so negative, they had to come up with toning. Bleaching sounds too hard, now it’s toning. I don't bleach, they say, I tone!”

“They think bleaching is gege,” he told Al Jazeera, using a Nigerian term for cool.

Femi attributes skin bleaching to a feeling that foreign products and images must, by definition, be good.

“An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it,” he laments.

Dangerous consequences

Skin bleaching comes with hazardous health consequences. The dangers associated with the use of toxic compounds for skin bleaching include blood cancers such as leukemia and cancers of the liver and kidneys as well as severe skin conditions.

Hardcore bleachers use illegal ointments containing toxins like mercury, a metal that blocks production of melanin, which gives the skin its colour, but can also be toxic.

Ayobode Williams, a medical doctor, says the skin bleaching agents have both internal and external effects on those who use them.

“Systemically it causes things like kidney failure because of the mercury in some of the products and it also causes eczema, skin pigmentation among a host of other infections,” he told Al Jazeera.

Dr Williams warned that sustained use of bleaching agents could cause even cancer.

Yet few seem to pay attention to these dangers. For those who bleach, staying black is not beautiful at all.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by BANGASOUP1: 3:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
ministergh: You insult a nation because their women would raher have a natural skin than nigeria where 77% of women have heir skin bleached. Check aljazeera on their indepth story on bleaching in nigeria....

Nigeria has the world's highest percentage of women using skin lightening agents in the quest for "beauty".

Lagos, Nigeria - After carefully washing her face, legs and arms, Taiwo Solomon vigorously rubs cream over her body. She is meticulous and makes sure she covers her entire face. Soloman, 32, is bleaching her skin. She believes fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

This has been a daily routine for the past 15 years. Now several shades lighter she says her new skin makes her feel more beautiful and confident.

“Bleaching just makes me feel special, like am walking around in a spotlight,” she told Al Jazeera. “I am not seeking to be totally white, I just want to look beautiful. I cannot stop using the lightening agents,” she adds.

Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

In many parts of Africa, lighter-skinned women are considered more beautiful and are believed to be more successful and likely to find marriage.

It's not only women though who are obsessed with bleaching their skins. Some men too are involved in the practice.

Conceptions of beauty

Lightening creams are not effectively regulated in Nigeria where even roadside vendors sell tubes and plastic bags of powders and ointments from cardboard boxes stacked along sidewalks in market districts. Many of the tubes are unlabelled as to their actual ingredients.

"An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it. "

In a market in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, business is booming for shops selling skin-lightening products. Both local and imported products line the shelves of Rashida Lawal’s cosmetics shop.

"About 90 percent of my clients come asking for skin whitening products," she told Al Jazeera. "I sell it to them and give advice on what product is best for them and how to use them."

“Taking the color of your skin to different colour has to be gradual. It's not something you decide one day that 'I want to be fair, I want to be like Michael Jackson and you become Michael Jackson all of a sudden'. That is why we have to advise them first before selling it to them” said Lawal.

Rashida and her staff also mix different ointments and creams for customers “depending on the desired level of lightness”.

Famous Nigerian Musician Femi Kuti says the use skin-lightening products have given rise to their own terminology.

“When the bleaching propaganda got so negative, they had to come up with toning. Bleaching sounds too hard, now it’s toning. I don't bleach, they say, I tone!”

“They think bleaching is gege,” he told Al Jazeera, using a Nigerian term for cool.

Femi attributes skin bleaching to a feeling that foreign products and images must, by definition, be good.

“An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it,” he laments.

Dangerous consequences

Skin bleaching comes with hazardous health consequences. The dangers associated with the use of toxic compounds for skin bleaching include blood cancers such as leukemia and cancers of the liver and kidneys as well as severe skin conditions.

Hardcore bleachers use illegal ointments containing toxins like mercury, a metal that blocks production of melanin, which gives the skin its colour, but can also be toxic.

Ayobode Williams, a medical doctor, says the skin bleaching agents have both internal and external effects on those who use them.

“Systemically it causes things like kidney failure because of the mercury in some of the products and it also causes eczema, skin pigmentation among a host of other infections,” he told Al Jazeera.

Dr Williams warned that sustained use of bleaching agents could cause even cancer.

Yet few seem to pay attention to these dangers. For those who bleach, staying black is not beautiful at all.
pls summarize this tin ,thanks,but wait o,hw do u expect me to read all dz?

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by djfiifi(m): 3:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sam xiu lee: I like mr dangote,but this cement issues is against the laws in economics,they claim they have surplus yet the price didn't come down,they claimed that they have capacity to supply the Nigerian market and export the product,they didn't,am really confused cos I can see that,this same situation might play out if and when we have more refineries,either private or govt owned,if the cement from Ghana is cheaper abeg they should let it in.
btw when did Ghana start cement production?

The establishment of Ghacem Limited marked a major turning point in Ghana’s development. Ghacem was founded by the Government of Ghana in collaboration with Norcem AS of Norway, on August 30, 1967. kiss

4 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by 360command: 3:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
ministergh: You insult a nation because their women would raher have a natural skin than nigeria where 77% of women have heir skin bleached. Check aljazeera on their indepth story on bleaching in nigeria....

Conceptions of beauty

Dangerous consequences

tell Al jazeera to go to cote d'ivoire or mali where they would see bleeching at its peak. We bleech but I know we don't too bleech as the ivorians

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by chriskwaku: 3:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
Am black and proud.Even if you bleach your skin to resemblel Ramsey Noauh or Rita Dominic, you would still be considered as a black person even in South Africa. So what the fuss about being black. Anyway, i guess having a lot of light skin people would help you increase the power you generate presently to about 7000MW.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by caesaraba(m): 3:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
ministergh: You insult a nation because their women would rather have a natural skin than nigeria where 77% of women have heir skin bleached.

Don't sweat it. Some folks will always talk trash. Bottom line is that the decision is good for business and bilateral trade. Any businessman knows this and hopes more opportunities open up.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by sleekman(m): 3:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
lond07:

Please what is the meaning of this slang - Mtseeeeew. I googled but no result!!!

Kai! Nairaland no go killime O! Abeg make una explain Mtcheeeeew for am now? grin cheesy
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by mekaboy(m): 3:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
ghboy: some Nigerians can really be naive and ignorant. what shows Ghana's econony is crumbling? only problem is power shedding which is ending soon cos
Now back to the economy

How much is 1 dollar in ghana against nigeria? That answers every question. Once the price of dollar increases, it affects everything.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by MEILYN(m): 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2013
mtcheeeeewwww tired of dis Nigeria-South Africa Nigeria-Ghana Saga

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Fuelish: 3:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
360command: tell Al jazeera to go to cote d'ivoire or mali where they would see bleeching at its peak. We bleech but we don't too bleech as the ivorians
the fact of d matter is that d average nigerian thinks being dark is ugly.
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by ministergh: 3:47pm On Apr 09, 2013
ivorians make the creams but they are sensible enough not not o use them. they would rather send it to countries that are that backward.

360command: tell Al jazeera to go to cote d'ivoire or mali where they would see bleeching at its peak. We bleech but I know we don't too bleech as the ivorians

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by ministergh: 3:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
and that is very s**pid

Fuelish: the fact of d matter is that d average nigerian thinks being dark is ugly.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
And this is how you recognise a nigerian. Arrogant, rude and thinking he is better then everyone else. A white African undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by TriggerHappy: 4:07pm On Apr 09, 2013
Inik: The Ghanaian economy must have been affected negatively by the closure of the shops. I hope both sides have learnt their lessons
Fool da affected ones are da Nigerian traders who protested as for da Ghana authorities they Jux did it for fun. cheesy cheesy
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by ministergh: 4:09pm On Apr 09, 2013
Mr.he.goat.... Tell Nigerian men and women both old and young to stop bleaching their skin. 77% of a whole country's women bleached minus the men...that is pathetic yet you are not wise enough and call a people proud of their race and color names. an animal called Joseph and Matthew at the same time ...be wise Matthew Joseph or Joseph Matthew...which ever comes first. visit http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20134514845907984 and advice your mother who can almost be compared to Micheal Jackson.

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by imperiouxx(m): 4:45pm On Apr 09, 2013

ministergh: Mr.he.goat.... Tell Nigerian men and women both old and young to stop bleaching their skin. 77% of a whole country's women bleached minus the men...that is pathetic yet you are not wise enough and call a people proud of their race and color names. an animal called Joseph and Matthew at the same time ...be wise Matthew Joseph or Joseph Matthew...which ever comes first. visit http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20134514845907984 and advice your mother who can almost be compared to Micheal Jackson.

Where are the moderators?? I will keep saying this.... put some sensitive posts on front page and start getting feedback. That shows how unprofessional this forum is run..... They keep neglecting suggestions but trigger happy about banning users.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Cusubaba(m): 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
ministergh: and that is very s**pid

Black is beautiful but Ghanaians made it ugly. Ghanaians are not black but charcoal. John Mickel Obi, Yaya Toure, and Didier Drogba are black in nature but handsome. While Micheal Essien, Agyma Bedu, Fatau Dauda, Sule Muntale, and Ghana former president John Kuffor are Charcoal Apes.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by chriskwaku: 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nonsense.I guess in your eyes Teye Taiwo ,Taribo West,Obansajo and Co are the handsome black men in your country.
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
So wande coal, GEJ, and the likes are white i guess? We get that you hate Ghanaians but to go on about ghanaians being dark when there are also some Nigerians who are as dark makes you look like a damn fool am sorry to say.
Cusubaba: Black is beautiful but Ghanaians made it ugly. Ghanaians are not black but charcoal. John Mickel Obi, Yaya Toure, and Didier Drogba are black in nature but handsome. While Micheal Essien, Agyma Bedu, Fatau Dauda, Sule Muntale, and Ghana former president John Kuffor are Chalcoal Ape.
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by rasroland: 4:57pm On Apr 09, 2013
here in Botswana nigerians are been arrested with PI(prohibited immigrant) enstamped in their pasport b4 bn deported...
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by TriggerHappy: 4:59pm On Apr 09, 2013
Cusubaba: Black is beautiful but Ghanaians made it ugly. Ghanaians are not black but charcoal. John Mickel Obi, Yaya Toure, and Didier Drogba are black in nature but handsome. While Micheal Essien, Agyma Bedu, Fatau Dauda, Sule Muntale, and Ghana former president John Kuffor are Chalcoal Ape.
Nigerians like taribo west and taiwo were created wen God was not in a good mood. grin grin its not ur fault dat u r a nigerian n u lack intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by dad007(m): 5:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
sunny-p:
na who and who unit inside unted nation nor b there niaja and ghana dey...

Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by dad007(m): 5:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
360command: grow up. Italy used to be like that but today they play a key role in EU. Wat is past is past. Do u u want to keep living on that dream? U such a looser if u kip having this at your back of your big head.
Nor mind am.
Re: Ghana To Re-open Nigerian Shops by dad007(m): 5:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
360command: grow up. Italy used to be like that but today they play a key role in EU. Wat is past is past. Do u u want to keep living on that dream? U such a looser if u kip having this at your back of your big head.
shaaaat up!Please,this post wasnt 4 you.I am sorry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

"Adams Oshiomhole: Elephant In APC's China Shop" / Fayemi Laments Poor Management Of Ikogosi Warm Springs Resort / Naira Scarcity: Protesters Shut Down Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.