Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,560 members, 7,941,131 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 05:54 PM

CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview (26395 Views)

What Do You Think About This Cv/resume Format? / 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately / Resume Tips and More. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by demmy55(m): 8:43am On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: How do I open the emails because I am new to NL

I don't think document attachment is possible on NL. I just need ur email address.

Mine is demmy_doubled@yahoo.com
Pls you can send me a blank mail so I can get urs. Thanks
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by beto2gbaski: 9:36am On Apr 30, 2013
Nice work @ OP. May God reward you for your selfless service to NLanders. I am a gradute of Mathematics and completed my youth service in Nov 2012. Since then, I hav written a few tests and done fewer interviews for graduate traine positions. My target industry is IT and Telecoms butI apply whenever there is any opening. My only experience apart from NYSC is as a secretary in a meda firm which lasted a few months. Kindly help me with a CV format dat would attract the right responses. My email addy is beto2gbaski@ovi.com. Tanks a lot
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by rodeo0070(m): 10:18am On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: How do I open the emails because I am new to NL
Check your personal messages(PM) with the same email you used in setting up your Nairaland account/profile...
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by cman77(m): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2013
@biafranqueen.tanks a lot,I rili appreciate.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
Most jobseekers are lazy, reading some of the posts here indicates that. I have learnt a few things as regards writing a cover letter. Why would people keep asking for a cv format when the op has already dropped more than three cv formats. A little effort is all you need, read the formats and apply them to your own basic qualifications.

7 Likes

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: While working in human resources for a multi- national company I see good candidates fall through the cracks because of unprofessional resumes. I have listed the information below and will add a sample for your visual learning. Always remember to check your spelling and grammar and have someone check over your resume before sending it out.

1.Job target-
Place the job target at the top of your resume, right after your contact information. This may change according to the job you are applying for.The first place you begin to establish a professional brand is with your Target Job Title, where you consciously decide on a job that best allows you to package your skill-sets an create a professional brand.
2. Always have a Performance Profile or Career Summary-
[right]Corporate Communications Management[/right][left][/left][center][/center]
Performance Profile

Strategic communications professional with five years experience developing effective, high impact, and cost effective media outreach plans for consumer, business, and policy audiences in media, entertainment, and technology practice areas.

3.Core Competencies Section-
List your skills in keywords example; Strategic Planning-Team building & Leadership- Management-Full-Cycle Project Management etc;

4. Never put salary on resume if they request the information put it in the cover letter.

5. Keep your resume focused and relevant to the job you are trying to land.
6. Emphasize Your Achievements-
Make your achievements, problem solving skills, and professional behavioral profile the focus of your resume.

Double check your contact information 1 out of 10 applicants give us incorrect information to contact them. Any questions feel free to ask. I will also post the 10 most common questions asked in an interview and how to answer to get the job.
1)Only ur highest education certificate is relivant no need of writing from primary sch. 2)Referes should not b included, 3)it must not b more than a page
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 30, 2013
ighoosagie:
1)Only ur highest education certificate is relivant no need of writing from primary sch. 2)Referes should not b included, 3)it must not b more than a page

It should be more than a page
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
ighoosagie:

How do you mean "not more than a page" even if you have 10 yrs experience with so many companies
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by GboyegaD(m): 2:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: If you approach companies as an intern and tell them you can do office work for 3 months to gain experience and a letter of reccomendation(meaning no pay) I am sure someone will take you up on your offer. Volunteer in the field you wish to break into. Most jobs these days is about connections. This is the secret to get in without experience as well as build your network. Now that you are in the office you can meet clients that may be hiring or the company may like your outstanding work and hire you at the end of the 3 months. It is always easier to get a job when you are already working.

I think this works though. I am rounding up my Masters in about a week and I have already secured a paid internship for 3months in Lagos. I wrote to them of my interest although I had earlier applied for a job with them before I left for my Masters for which I was called for an interview however, I felt the best way to get to them was requesting for an internship since someone must have picked up the position I was being interviewed for.

1 Like

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by yoged(m): 3:14pm On Apr 30, 2013
Pls house. The project i did in my final year was published by my project supervisor and it was accepted as a journal. Its a research work which no one has work on it before. My supervisor was really surprise and happy after the work.Pls how can i include it in my cv coz my name also appear on the journal. I need format on how i'll include it on my cv.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by nenergy(m): 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: References Available on Request- Never list references
Abroad Yes, but it Nigeria its dicey. Recruiters in Nigeria can be pretty "funny",me i dey o!
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Unkl(m): 3:25pm On Apr 30, 2013
It's ok!
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by mrMaxebute: 3:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: Most resumes that come in are selling qualifications that have nothing to do with the job. Most people do not research the company or the job before applying. When we are filling a manager position but you qualify for entry level we just throw the resume in the circular file. We always read the resumes that come with cover letters because it sets the stage for the reader to think the resume is something special, because the applicant took the time to research the job and point out why they qualify. The cover letter is your chance to plead your case.

After your name

Strengths: Enthustic, creative and hardworking. Eager to translate solid classroom and youth service experience into bottom-line revenues in the blah blah industry.

Education: BS in Advertising, Lekki University, Lekki Beach-May 2003.
Coursework included design & graphics, media planning, advertising research & strategy.

Internships:
Advertising Sales Representative, Great Lakes Advertising, Nnewi, Anambra, Jan - May 2001

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by mrMaxebute: 3:34pm On Apr 30, 2013
Pls is this an example of a cover letter?
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by zubbainno123: 3:38pm On Apr 30, 2013
NICE
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by hardychris(m): 3:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: Rodeo o0070
111 Mango Street.
Victoria Island, xxxx

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am emailing in response to your posting on Jobbers.com regarding an accounting/office management position.

These days, it’s not enough to keep track of the companies revenues and pay the employees. Great accountants find ways to reduce costs without impacting quality by researching and exposing wasteful spending.

I believe I am ideally suited for the position you posted. My exposure to the different levels of office administration in the construction and building development arena ( I started at the bottom and worked my way up) has enabled me to effectively meet the challenges and display the organizational skills and leadership qualities you require.

My experience and achievements include:
*Managed all day-to day operations including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, budgets, employee training and customer service.
*Created a computerized daily tracking system for supplies used at sites that cut building material cost by 30%.

I have atttached a copy of my resume, and look forward to examining any of the ways you feel my background and skills would benefit XYZ company. I can be reached at 2222222222 to initiate contact or you can email me at naira@yahoo.com.
Please call me at your earliest convenience to arrange a meeting.

Sincerely yours,

Rodeo o007

I tried to open message but could not here is the cover letter this shows you took time to apply for the job. It shows you have sense and writing skills as a manager to submit reports. What we expect from a manager would not be the same as a resume of a driver. Since you are looking for office job we need to know how well you can articulate yourself in this competitive market only those that put in extra get noticed. Hundreds of applicant one position alot of good even great but only outstanding wins.

@ biafranqueen God has packaged your blessings for you, ᶥᵗˢ not easy to make out dis tym to help others. ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ soo much pls dis is my email address christopherchibuike43@yahoo.com I will be very happy if U̶̲̥̅̊ send me a copy of dat resume thank. you[color=#006600][/color]
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by aphoss: 3:48pm On Apr 30, 2013
God bless u biafranqueen,u will go places ijn.dis is wat we need on NL not postin rubbish.tanks a million
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Mightyodi: 3:49pm On Apr 30, 2013
Plz ma, i have been looking for some one whom i may contact to help me out with good c/v writing. Plz can u scan a copy for reference purpose so i can see how it is arrange to my email promiseodiakaose@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by vivianvic(f): 3:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
tnks 4 highlighting me on dis tips
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by yoged(m): 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
yoged: Pls house. The project i did in my final year was published by my project supervisor and it was accepted as a journal. Its a research work which no one has work on it before. My supervisor was really surprise and happy after the work.Pls how can i include it in my cv coz my name also appear on the journal. I need format on how i'll include it on my cv.
any help pls
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by markovnikoff001(m): 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
...people should get one thing clear: CVs do not get you an interview! they get you whatever stage comes after the CV screening stage! and that, people, may be a loooong way from the interview...
...And please stop attaching too much significance to threads, articles or blogs titled "how to get that dream job; writing a world class CV"...
...Getting that dream job requires you to present a good CV, solve some hard questions (aptitude test and/or skills test) and speak persuasively, at length (interviews, recruitment days and/or career fairs). So prepare and arm yourself with all the necessary armament, then, maybe then, you can get that elusive dream job.
...but then you don't even stand a chance if your CV is weak and jumbled.

1 Like

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by isidollarboy(m): 4:13pm On Apr 30, 2013
@ biafranqueen, I would be glad if u could send me. a copy of a cv /resume for me to cross reference mine. I have no working experience ..this is my email isidollarboy10@gmail.com .
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by niggi4life(m): 4:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
@ the OP or any other learned NLander, i have a little brother who finished in the Uni last year and went for a 6months telecoms training, now he wants to get a company where he can do his internship for about 3-6months. questions i would like to ask is that:
1. should he write to the company directly through their contact email address stating his intent?
2. or should he go directly to the company and drop his recommendation letter?
I would really appreciate if my question(s) is being answered.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
VACANCY: MARKET REQUIRED
AT ANGEL COMMODITY INDUSTRIES LTD
50KM, LEKKI EPE EXP.WAY
OPP. CROWN ESTATE AJAH.
LAGOS.[color=#770077][/color]

1 Like

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Evergreen4(m): 6:21pm On Apr 30, 2013
@Biafraqueen, Please how relevant is the issue of work experience when applying for a job because most companies request for 2-3 years work experience of wich many graduates don't have.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by chessguru1(m): 6:27pm On Apr 30, 2013
biafranqueen: Add action verb's when describing your experience to polish your work to communicate, persuade, and motivate the reader to take action.

allocated approved arranged assigned assisted accomplished accepted adaapted advanced
budgeted built collected conducted coordinated delegated developed devised drafted edited expidedited
illustrated identified imroved increased instruted marketed monitored motivated organized oversaw operated
researched recorded proposed produced prioritized solved supoervised systemized trained taught traveled upgraded wrote...
Femi Chukuw
111 Abuja Lane
Maryland, Lagos
Phone #
Email

Professional Profile

Sales*Account Management*New Business Development

Sales and Account Management Development professional with expert qualifications in identifying and capturing market opportunities to accelerate expansion, increase revenues, and improve profit contributions in highly competitive industries. Outstanding record of achievement in complex account and contract negotitions.

Key Strengths:
*Account development/management *Consultative/solutions sales
*Customer service/satisfaction *New Market development
*Bilingual Igbo/English/Hausa *PC proficient
Customer service/satisfaction *Account retention

Professional Experience

Key Account Executive 2009-Present

American Security Services, Largest privately held security company in the nation with annual sales over S40 million.
Recruited to start up an office in Enugu and oversee the market development.
*Built territory from ground zero capturing 55% of market share in region
*Consistently exceeded monthly sales objectives

Keep adding experience

Education
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration/Finance(GPA 3.cool 2005
University of Lagos, Nigeria
So now using dis your format, how does an entry level applicant compose his CV, knowing fully well that most of what you specified above will be blank
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by guytano: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2013
this is a beautiful thread. i was just wondering if it is okay to type a cover letter on the body of the mail or must it be an attachment like the CV?
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Inioluwa01(m): 8:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
Biafranqueen...God bless U!
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by ObakingII: 8:39pm On Apr 30, 2013
@ biafranqueen.pls n pls,i need ur email add...my email add is treblajoe@gmail.com or u can post on nairaland wall if u dont mind pls!....na beg i dey beg oooo
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Multcolor: 9:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
This is really interesting and educating too pls I would like you to help updating my cv
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by omidan21: 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2013
Multcolor: This is really interesting and educating too pls I would like you to help updating my cv

Pls house as regards submitting hard copy to coys en organizations.what to I type on the brown A4 envelop.what do I write as in how do I address it.pleas urgent reply.thanks
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by DonaldGenes(m): 11:23pm On Apr 30, 2013
ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancies For Fresh Graduates / How I Got Hired And Fired Within 24 Hours / 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.